PDA

View Full Version : does the mba have speakers built in?

bluedoggiant
Jan 15, 2008, 11:36 PM
well does it? and why is there to mics on it? one on each side of the cam.

pkoch1
Jan 15, 2008, 11:38 PM

not positive but i think one of those "mics" is the mono speaker.

gescom
Jan 15, 2008, 11:39 PM
I haven't seen any either and have been giving more than a once over to the website pics.

bluedoggiant
Jan 15, 2008, 11:39 PM

thats um, sad

pkoch1
Jan 15, 2008, 11:40 PM
thats um, sad

Yeah...i know it has a mono speaker only, but I'm not sure if that's where it is/how small it is

gescom
Jan 15, 2008, 11:40 PM
ahhh, man. You have got to be kidding me? :eek:

anirban
Jan 15, 2008, 11:45 PM

I would find it weird to have a speaker that close to a mic. If that is indeed the speaker, then I'm interested in knowing if there are any echo effects.

siurpeeman
Jan 15, 2008, 11:45 PM
just to confirm a post above, there is a mono speaker listed in the tech specs.

~David
Jan 15, 2008, 11:49 PM
There's no way that small thing could be the mono speaker, it's most likely internal.

I'm shocked that it's mono in the first place... We're in the age of surround sound and they go back a few decades to mono.

masse
Jan 15, 2008, 11:50 PM
Nah can't be mono speakers..Apple never makes compromises to make things smaller!

They just underclock everything they can so that it won't overheat in a smaller case.

Domofloge
Jan 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
I'm pretty confident that there are NO speakers built in to the MBA. Pretty sad if you ask me considering music is a large part of Apple's being...

All the diff iPods that started a MP3 player revolution.

wentwj
Jan 15, 2008, 11:59 PM
I'm pretty confident that there are NO speakers built in to the MBA. Pretty sad if you ask me considering music is a large part of Apple's being...

All the diff iPods that started a MP3 player revolution.

Considering that both Apple's website and several people above you have confirmed that it does indeed have a built in mono speaker, I'd like to applaud your effort and/or reading comprehension.

Bravo good sir.

RR08EvoX
Jan 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
there is definitely a speaker... i read somewhere it is under one side of the keyboard and sound comes out through the keys.

ArmyKnight12
Jan 16, 2008, 12:01 AM
That's a really good question.

Justinerator
Jan 16, 2008, 12:06 AM
there is definitely a speaker... i read somewhere it is under one side of the keyboard and sound comes out through the keys.

the speaker is under the keyboard, not above the screen. Think ibook or powerbook 12"

AirborneAngel
Jan 16, 2008, 12:09 AM
That's a really good question.

I think that those two things are perhaps part of the speaker setup...maybe combined with mics?

island
Jan 16, 2008, 12:46 AM
Considering that both Apple's website and several people above you have confirmed that it does indeed have a built in mono speaker, I'd like to applaud your effort and/or reading comprehension.

Bravo good sir.

L O LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quillz
Jan 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
I'm surprised the MacBook Air only has a mono speaker. Didn't even the 12'' PowerBook have a surround sound speaker?

claychicken
Jan 16, 2008, 01:52 AM
I'm surprised the MacBook Air only has a mono speaker. Didn't even the 12'' PowerBook have a surround sound speaker?

WHAT??? :eek: they make surround sound speakers now??? :confused: haha if only

carsncars
Jan 16, 2008, 01:57 AM
From Engadget:

The speaker is mono only (not stereo), so your audio output will suffer a bit. The audio comes out of the keyboard holes in the right side, and it sounds a little funny.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-plenty-more-details/

So I guess it's just behind the keyboard and seeps out between the keys..?

Just for system prompts and some voice, I suppose. Definitely not for music, but most ultraportables are this way.

ProPedderKustom
Jan 16, 2008, 02:08 AM

One is probably a mic and the other is probably an ambient light sensor.

bluedoggiant
Jan 16, 2008, 12:28 PM
From Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-plenty-more-details/

So I guess it's just behind the keyboard and seeps out between the keys..?

Just for system prompts and some voice, I suppose. Definitely not for music, but most ultraportables are this way.

then what would that other whole be for?

Slip
Jan 16, 2008, 12:34 PM
then what would that other whole be for?

If you meant the other 'hole' then my guess is that it's like the other iSight's in the other models, one hole is the mic and the other is status light or as someone else mentioned, an ambient light sensor

bluedoggiant
Jan 16, 2008, 12:59 PM
If you meant the other 'hole' then my guess is that it's like the other iSight's in the other models, one hole is the mic and the other is status light or as someone else mentioned, an ambient light sensor

it cant be the light, the light is right next to the actual cam, im gonna check out the mba page, if the mba doesnt have reasonable quality, like around mb quality (can be worse, but not from a laser small hole), then an mba is a no buy for me

Slip
Jan 16, 2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah its the green light that comes on when you're using the iSight in Photo Booth or iChat.
And surely you have enough toys by now ;)

Domofloge
Jan 16, 2008, 01:34 PM

Bravo good sir.

I stand corrected and honestly it isnt the first time I've been wrong. But, honestly do you need to be such a arrogant a****** about it??

It would have been nice to receive a private message saying that the information i provide was incorrect. But no... thanks a lot dude!!

fabian9
Jan 16, 2008, 01:41 PM
one hole is the mic, the other one the camera status LED, just like on the macbook. I suspect the mono speaker will be under the keyboard.... who uses those anyways? the sound of inbuilt laptop speakers are awful... lol.

bluedoggiant
Jan 16, 2008, 01:49 PM
one hole is the mic, the other one the camera status LED, just like on the macbook. I suspect the mono speaker will be under the keyboard.... who uses those anyways? the sound of inbuilt laptop speakers are awful... lol.

there are two holes, and there is a separate hole for the light, check out the page, the green light is RIGHT next to it, i know for sure one of the holes is the mic, but whats the other one for? cant be speakers, that thing is small!!!

Slip
Jan 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
Of course its not the speaker, like you said, it's far too small
Just to wrap up, the MBA does have built in speakers; there's your original answer well, answered.
The two holes next to the iSight are the mic and the iSight status light/ambient light sensor

bluedoggiant
Jan 16, 2008, 02:42 PM
Of course its not the speaker, like you said, it's far too small
Just to wrap up, the MBA does have built in speakers; there's your original answer well, answered.
The two holes next to the iSight are the mic and the iSight status light/ambient light sensor

so its for sure the light sensor? im gonna go check em out this weekend

fabian9
Jan 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
this weekend? isn't it another 2 weeks till it comes out?

Killyp
Jan 16, 2008, 03:04 PM
Would people PLEASE stop moaning about it being mono only?!

Do you really think it's worth building stereo speakers into something that small? is it really going to make any difference? No.

And as for 'surround sound' in a laptop, it can't be done. You can try and fake it, by doing all sorts of stupid things like delaying the left hand speaker very slightly from the right, which isn't really proper surround sound.

To have surround sound, you need speakers all around you, no way around it.

bluedoggiant
Jan 16, 2008, 04:48 PM
do they come out from under? who has seen this machine in person?

brendanryder
Jan 16, 2008, 04:54 PM
I stand corrected and honestly it isnt the first time I've been wrong. But, honestly do you need to be such a arrogant a****** about it??

It would have been nice to receive a private message saying that the information i provide was incorrect. But no... thanks a lot dude!!

woa, i think you need to take a time out. he was being nice about it. in this day and age on the internet that is considered a compliment. :D

Slip
Jan 16, 2008, 05:15 PM
do they come out from under? who has seen this machine in person?

Does it really matter? I mean, they're hardly gunna be any good and being mono they're gunna be worse than normal
Only the people who were at Macworld have had a chance to use it and so thats a pretty limited user base. Maybe some early reviews may have more info