Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solesk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
i just got my touch the other day. and i have to ask, what is the purpose of the slider to unlock? i mean it's a cool idea, but when the ipod locks it turns the screen off. the screen cannot be reactivated by touching the screen, only the power button. are accidental presses of the power button really that common? and even if they are, using my glove does not operate the screen. would accidental motion of a pocket even do anything? it seems like an auto sleep mode without the slider lock would do the same thing.

and on that same notion. if i set the software to never lock, it still locks if i turn the unit off. i'm just using it in the car via a mount. i have zero reason for the lock. i'd like to permanently turn it off no matter what. it seems pointless.

i understand the concept of the slider. but in every situation i imagine, at least with the current software implementation, it doesn't seem necessary. just and extra step you have to do every time you turn the unit on.

maybe i'm missing something. but i at least wish it was more customizable.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
i just got my touch the other day. and i have to ask, what is the purpose of the slider to unlock? i mean it's a cool idea, but when the ipod locks it turns the screen off. the screen cannot be reactivated by touching the screen, only the power button. are accidental presses of the power button really that common? and even if they are, using my glove does not operate the screen. would accidental motion of a pocket even do anything? it seems like an auto sleep mode without the slider lock would do the same thing.

and on that same notion. if i set the software to never lock, it still locks if i turn the unit off. i'm just using it in the car via a mount. i have zero reason for the lock. i'd like to permanently turn it off no matter what. it seems pointless.

i understand the concept of the slider. but in every situation i imagine, at least with the current software implementation, it doesn't seem necessary. just and extra step you have to do every time you turn the unit on.

maybe i'm missing something. but i at least wish it was more customizable.

If you have your setting as never lock, then turn off and put your ipod in bag and something accidently presses up against your home button to turn it on, with the slider if you don't slide it will turn back off, but if it wasn't there the screen would stay on and remain on until you notice it or notice that the battery drained because it wouldn't turn off with the never lock feature on.

Solesk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
but why not just have an auto sleep mode? most inanimate things i've tried do not work on the touch screen. so if it accidentally turns on it will just turn right back off with an auto sleep timer. you still dont need a lock feature.

momadance

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
i just got my touch the other day. and i have to ask, what is the purpose of the slider to unlock?

Because most people who use Safari have cookies and cache that contain sensitive information, such as website passwords. If you lose your iPod Touch, it provides an added measure of security.

thegeist

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Because most people who use Safari have cookies and cache that contain sensitive information, such as website passwords. If you lose your iPod Touch, it provides an added measure of security.

What he said. Saved my butt once.

Solesk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
that's the passcode feature though. which i totally agree is needed for certain people. but why the lock feature?

jasonmac21

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008

Hey this is off topic, but how do you keep passwords and user names saved? For instance, at school I have to login with my student ID and password every time I lose the connection and it's pretty annoying. Other sites like yahoo and my financial account passwords as well.

This seems like a dumb question but I just can't get form data to stay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.