PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air + Time Capsule Possibilities...

Dexists
Jan 16, 2008, 07:47 AM
Can someone explain to me the following. If I were to use my current mac, a Mac Pro, in conjunction with Time Capsule... would I then be able to access the applications, files.. entire HD of the Mac Pro over a wireless network using a MacBook Air? I have my Mac Pro plugged into my television, out of sight and out of mind, but if I were in another room would I be able to stream everything, such as my iTunes library, in another room using the MacBook Air? I'm sorry if this has already been discussed.

Thanks!

wordmunger
Jan 16, 2008, 07:54 AM
Those are really two separate features.

If you want to access the files on your Mac Pro, you'd just log in over the network the same way you always do.

You use Time Capsule for backup and for sharing files.

So you can back up all your computers wirelessly onto the time capsule, or you can use the time capsule like a central file server. You access the files on the time capsule from any computer. The advantage of this is that if one of your computers is off or in sleep mode, the files are still available.

It seems to me that you should be able to put your itunes library on the time capsule and access it from all your computers (as long as they are authorized), but I haven't seen a specific feature listing saying you can do that.

I also don't know if you could run applications that live on the Time Capsule.