Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brick18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
does anyone know the best app. for converting movies for Atv that doesn't take all day like popcorn3. i bought it an it took forever to convert.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
It depends on your machine. "All day" is normal speeds for G4s, or even G5s.

What are you running?
What OS?
What Processor(s)?
How much RAM?

And why are you using Popcorn? What's wrong with Handbrake?

brick18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
It depends on your machine. "All day" is normal speeds for G4s, or even G5s.

What are you running?
What OS?
What Processor(s)?
How much RAM?

And why are you using Popcorn? What's wrong with Handbrake?

Tiger, 1.5 ghz PPC G4. I tried handbrake in took literary half a day. it look like my machine was froozen. then i tried popcorn which I started at 4am and it was still going at 12pm.

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
If buying a faster mac is not an option, then a hardware solution may be your best bet... Check out the turbo.264 product from elgato. I don't have one, but I have read some good things about it. On a PowerPC mac, it should be a major speed boost.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
As wmealer pointed out, this is a hardware issue. Encoding video is very processor intensive -- here's a case where the more horsepower, the better.

Before I upgraded hardware, it could take up to 7 hours to encode a DVD.

brick18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
As wmealer pointed out, this is a hardware issue. Encoding video is very processor intensive -- here's a case where the more horsepower, the better.

Before I upgraded hardware, it could take up to 7 hours to encode a DVD.

thanks for all of your input . With that I guess i'm going to have to upgrade my system. thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.