PDA

View Full Version : So I got my 15.2"...if anyone cares...

Fall
Oct 13, 2003, 02:56 PM
Just thought I'd follow up my other thread, it finally came in yesterday.

Firstly, I love my 15.2" it rocks. And the backlit keyboard is so awesome I couldn't believe I nearly considered leaving it off!! And the HD upgrade was good too, since it comes choked up with 15GB of crap.

But...

My heart sunk when I noticed I have "the latch problem"

My heart shattered now I see a dead pixel.

And I died when it froze in the first hour, and I had to run disk repair to get it booting into OSX right.

Come on Apple, I paid $AUD3800 for this, I expect better!

How long is the repair time on dead pixels? I need this machine every day from now on I have that much work to do on it, so unless thhey want to give me another one (and not have to wait 4 weeks) I'm gonna have to put up with old pink-pixel up in the corner there!!

RGunner
Oct 13, 2003, 03:14 PM
they will NOT replace an LCD that has 1 dead pixel

the current criteria (by any manufacturer) ranges from 3-10+pixels or a cluster of dead pixels.

sorry the latch doesnt work, I would give them a call on that.

Fall
Oct 13, 2003, 03:19 PM
I suspected as much, but I'd rather have a perfect machine, rather than one that working "a few steps away from servicing"

I'm trying speakable items now, hehe! I have to fake the american accent!!

bertagert
Oct 13, 2003, 03:24 PM
Fall,

I care :p

Have you tried rubbing the screen to see if the pixel problem goes away? Like you, spending a lot of bread on a new system, i want it perfect (especially the screen). The latch thing I would personally try to tinker with but if I couldn't get it working I would have Apple repair it.

Fall
Oct 13, 2003, 03:27 PM
I can't believe it, I actually just hid safari so I could rub the screen. You were kidding right?

*gullible*

But if the pixels don't start multiplying for awhile, does this mean apple support will say to me down the track "you shoulda rung us when it first happened!"

etoiles
Oct 13, 2003, 03:35 PM
rubbing the screen (VERY gently) is no joke, it worked on my G3PB last year... but then I think there are 'dead' and 'stuck' pixels. Mine was just stuck to a color (guess one of the channels was out).

good luck, I feel your pain. I hope you'll be able to sort things out.

bertagert
Oct 13, 2003, 03:39 PM
No, its a real thing. I have the 23" screen and I had three red pixels on the screen at all times. I read that you should try rubbing them with your finger and it might make it go away.

So, I rubbed them with my finger for about 30 seconds, whipped out some glass cleaner to removed my finger smug marks and Viola! The pixels are working properly.

Edit: Like above, don't push real hard, rub gentely.

Fall
Oct 13, 2003, 03:40 PM
Okay then, now how do I get my fingerprints off the screen?

It's a stuck one I'm afraid.

bertagert
Oct 13, 2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Fall
Okay then, now how do I get my fingerprints off the screen?

It's a stuck one I'm afraid.
Close the lid, spin it around three times, tap the Apple logo twice and open the lid. That should take care of all your finger prints.

Only kidding, try glass cleaner and a soft cloth.

beefcake
Oct 13, 2003, 04:14 PM
Definitely rub those pixels away, it'll work, at the very least temporarily. Whenever I watch a DVD with a lot of black i notice a blue pixel near the corner of my screen, but just touching it will make it go away for a while. Just remember, DO NOT rub the pixel too hard or with anything course. My screen has a big worn spot in the center compliments of my failed attempt to get rid of a smudge. Fortunately its only visible when the monitor is off, so I don't care, but I got lucky on that.

Fall
Oct 13, 2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!