PDA

View Full Version : What is your Old Skool Gaming Console?

MrMacMan
Oct 13, 2003, 04:04 PM
Its sad, long ago I had a nintendo it worked fine, I still play and dust it off from time to time...

Lets see how far people can go back This really is a 2 Part question:

1. Whats the oldest you have currently?

2. What is the oldest one you use?

For me its nintendo and the one I use is N64, Golden Eye baby!

:D

job
Oct 13, 2003, 05:10 PM
i don't have one.

i did have an old Mac II that had Lode Runner installed. my old performa still has a three marathons installed. sadly i rarely have the time to play anything anymore.

WinterMute
Oct 13, 2003, 05:17 PM
Oldest one I have is a 3DO, still use it for Space Hulk and Icebreaker:D

Daveman Deluxe
Oct 13, 2003, 05:32 PM
I gave my old Nintendos to the youth group, the NES still sees some action and it's about fourteen years old. It works perfectly too, unlike a lot of other NESes I've seen.

If you count emulators, I still play SNES most often. I was working on getting through all the SNES/Super Famicon Final Fantasy games but got sidetracked with Baldur's Gate II. I'll get back to FF6 before long.

szark
Oct 13, 2003, 05:47 PM
I've got a working Atari 2600, but I certainly don't use it often.

(edit: at least, it was working the last time I used it a couple of years ago...)

bousozoku
Oct 13, 2003, 06:08 PM
I have an Atari 7800, an Atari Jaguar, and a Nintendo Gamecube. I still use the Jaguar to play Alien vs. Predator and Doom mostly. The 7800 sits in a box somewhere.

I also have my old Atari 8-bit computer with around 200 games from the early 1980s.

tazo
Oct 13, 2003, 10:31 PM
Is a PSX considered old school? :)

Durandal7
Oct 13, 2003, 10:48 PM
Atari 2600 baby!

I love wasting my friends in classics like Tank and Outlaw :D

eyelikeart
Oct 15, 2003, 08:47 AM
I still have my Atari 2600, but I haven't used it in a while. I took it out a few years ago for nostalgia, but it's been in a box along with the games since.

trebblekicked
Oct 15, 2003, 09:11 AM
i've got a genisis that is in working order. shaq fu is the most underrated game of all time. if i had the time, i'd get my commodore 64 out of storage. that system had the best games. everything ever made for atari, coleco, intellivision, and the c-64 only releases.

load"menu",8
run

ah. those were the days.

applemacdude
Oct 15, 2003, 12:48 PM
I have a Atari something a NES a Sega Saturn all in my closet....I once in a while play on my N64.....I mostly play games on mt mac

yamabushi
Oct 15, 2003, 02:39 PM
I have a Pong system boxed up somewhere. Yeah, that's all it did. Also an Atari 2600 and NES. Oldest one I still use would be my Playstation.

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 18, 2003, 04:00 PM
I have one of the original ghetto old NES systems. I still hook it up ocassionally and play Super Mario Bros. To bad the gun for Duck Hunt died - I lived for that game. The oldest I use is an N64. GoldenEye rocks the hizz-ouse!

My cousin still has an original Commodore 64 - hasn't touched it in ages, though.

MrMacMan
Oct 18, 2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
I have one of the original ghetto old NES systems. I still hook it up ocassionally and play Super Mario Bros. To bad the gun for Duck Hunt died - I lived for that game. The oldest I use is an N64. GoldenEye rocks the hizz-ouse!

My cousin still has an original Commodore 64 - hasn't touched it in ages, though.

Oh wow Duck Hunt, I forgot about that...

And yes Golden Eye kicks ass. :D

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 19, 2003, 02:25 PM
Does anybody remember that ghettolicious floor pad for NES? I don't remember what it was called or what games it was used for, I just remember it looked a Twister mat. I'm not hallucinating, am I? They really did make one of those, right?

revenuee
Oct 19, 2003, 02:29 PM
Sonic the Hedghog on Sega Genisis and the same for Sega Game gear baby

My Old 486 with the original Wolfenstien and the original Duke Nuken

King Cobra
Oct 19, 2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
For me its nintendo and the one I use is N64, Golden Eye baby!

Damn straight.

Oldest would have to be an Atari 7###.

Current played: GameBoy Color and 1989 Tetris.

jihad the movie
Oct 19, 2003, 04:19 PM
Oldest i have would be an Atari 5200 (four port model)

Oldest one I use, NES

Most recent old one I used.... Dreamcast.

idkew
Oct 22, 2003, 10:35 PM
i have every nintendo system.

maybe 50 games for NES

15 for SNES

10 for N64

and 15 for GC.

I love my nintendos, use them every once in a while, and will purchase every nintendo made until i die.

my kids and gkids will love me for it.

favorite games:
NES: Super Mario Brothers, the original is the best! Followed closely by RC Pro-Am
SNES: Mario World
N64: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark is great also
GC: Madden 2002, Also love Burnout

Capt Underpants
Nov 2, 2003, 12:19 PM
Mine's the good old, original NES. It's fun to go back and play Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt when I feel like going back to my youth (well earlier youth!).

manitoubalck
Nov 2, 2003, 09:39 PM
Still give my origonal game boy a workout some times, But play my DreamCast most often along with my computer.

Giaguara
Nov 2, 2003, 10:07 PM
i use my spectravideo 738 when im at my parents (when commodore 64 costed too much)...

fav games: sky jaguar (konami), arkanoid, pacman.

Mord
Dec 2, 2003, 02:03 PM
me and some freinds have a dream to kit up a VW bus with a Nes (duck hunt) a mega drive (sonic (the best game ever.:-))) a pong system and a g5 with a 23" flat pannel ohh yhea the dream...............

i use my mega drive regulaly as i was given a monster collection of games includeing commix zone (found i can sell it for £300 it's realy rare :-)) Knuckles' Chaotix (32x) and sonic cd (sega cd) ahh good old day's

never got into mario just a fat italian plumber if you ask me

mc68k
Dec 3, 2003, 02:57 PM
i have my original game boy

my parents gave away my atari 2600 and all the games when i was little, because of a prob w/ the rf modulator :(

ihave a iigs, but it was not my own growing up

Spock
Dec 10, 2003, 03:28 PM
My oldest is the Sega Master System I love Sega the only Sega that I do not have is the Saturn.

Mord
Dec 11, 2003, 12:03 PM
but do you own a nomad?

themadchemist
Dec 12, 2003, 01:01 AM
My oldest "extreme gaming system" has to be the Mac SE that my dad bought when I was around 3. That thing rocks. I really need to pull it out and play some Crystal Quest sometime.

I also have an SNES in great working condition, and an N64 as well. I don't consider the latter old skool at all, though. Heck, 1996 seems like just yesterday--me and my distorted time sense.

Spock
Jan 7, 2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Hector
but do you own a nomad?

Yes I paid about $250.00 for the stupid thing loved it better than the Gameboy even today it is still cool to play.

Mord
Jan 12, 2004, 04:04 AM
I had one but now it's dead :mad: you can sell them for around £300 in the uk they were so cool considering the number of old genesis (mega drive in the uk) game's sega is porting to the gba :(

phreakout13
Jan 22, 2004, 09:38 PM
Super NES for me! Alls I need is Mario World, Zelda, Mario all-stars and maybe combat basketball.

bousozoku
Jan 22, 2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Giaguara
i use my spectravideo 738 when im at my parents (when commodore 64 costed too much)...

fav games: sky jaguar (konami), arkanoid, pacman.

Was that an original MSX or MSX2 machine? I have a Sony HB201, which conforms to the original MSX specification.

Pseudonym
Jan 23, 2004, 02:28 AM
I've just got my first - an old PSX. Oldish school (perhaps middle aged school).

MrMacMan
Jan 25, 2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Hector
but do you own a nomad?

Wow... I use to have one of those... great stuff.

jbb123987
Jan 26, 2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Does anybody remember that ghettolicious floor pad for NES? I don't remember what it was called or what games it was used for, I just remember it looked a Twister mat. I'm not hallucinating, am I? They really did make one of those, right?

It was called a power pad, I had one and spent hours playing track and field. Yea my nintendo is my oldest, and most used. I love busting out mega man, double dragon, all those classic games.

themadchemist
Feb 2, 2004, 09:35 AM
Super Mario World RULES the SCHOOL bi-OTCH!
(I'm sorry, I felt rather compelled to say that.)

nargot
Feb 23, 2004, 07:42 AM
Oldest i own: C-64
Oldest still used: N64

MrMacMan
Feb 23, 2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by themadchemist
Super Mario World RULES the SCHOOL bi-OTCH!
(I'm sorry, I felt rather compelled to say that.)

Which Super Mario?

There have been quite a few

N64 Rules!

windowsblowsass
Mar 7, 2004, 05:06 PM
Ive got a couple of ataris in the attic oldest system i use hmm probably nintend o duck hunt forever :D

windowsblowsass
Mar 7, 2004, 05:08 PM
question anybody else have a lynx or a jaguar

windowsblowsass
Mar 7, 2004, 05:13 PM
but do you own a nomad?
yes yes ido also i own a nintendo sega maser system atari 2600 atari other numbers idont know snes genesis psx n64 performa cd ps2 xbox (im ashamed every time i play why am i using something microsoft why
:( ) arcadia lynx nomadf jaguar gameboy gameboycolor a few more cant remember them oops forgot dreamcast :D

womencantsail
Mar 7, 2004, 10:57 PM
NES. But I don't play it anymore. The oldest one I play is my N64.

Stelliform
Mar 7, 2004, 11:16 PM

I have a Lynx in working condition.

My Mom still has the ole Atari 2600. (the first model with the wood grain. ;)) Last time I check it still worked.

At my Mom's house the Atari is sitting in its Atari case (also original) under my Nintendo which my kids still play every time they are there. (The original Nintendo. The Super Mario/ duck hunt combo...) My oldest plays Super Mario Brothers and he just started playing Jackal. he used to play duck hunt when he was little. (and he would touch the gun to the TV when he shot.. :))

We have a couple of b/w gameboys (the silver smaller edition) that the boys play with. I have a Gameboy Advanced that I play. And a Gamecube that we all play.

On my mac I still have a shortcut on the desktop for Strategic Conquest 4.0. I just love that game...

My C64 died, otherwise I would still have it, but I think I wore the thing out. It was on all of the time.

Kingsnapped
Mar 7, 2004, 11:21 PM
I have a working NES, and I'm hooked on Tetris Attack for SNES.

Opteron
Mar 9, 2004, 12:45 AM
Lode Runner installed.

Those were the days, remember Crystal Quest and Mac Ninja.

Go the Dreamcast:(

Mav451
Mar 9, 2004, 01:02 AM
Heh, i still got an NES, but not only that, also got a Chinese Nintendo (400 in 1 anyone? haha).

I have Super Mario 1 and 3, but not 2 (I lost 2 when I went over to a friends house when i was like 10, and being the naive child i was, I left it there). Sigh.

Anyway, also got Little League Baseball (one of the CLASSICS baby). Wheel of Fortune/original Jeopardy also brings back good memories (and me not knowing anything from the early 80's).

Heh, and random fact. Picked up "Elevator Action" when a 'sitter left it at my house 15 years ago, pretty silly game, but still fun once in a while...yeah he's not getting it back :)

rhpenguin
Mar 9, 2004, 02:04 AM
Coleco Intellivision... This system screams classic

and the games are so much fun.. Lock and chase is the greatest game ever.

themadchemist
Mar 11, 2004, 02:19 PM
Which Super Mario?

There have been quite a few

N64 Rules!

As I said in my post, "Super Mario World," that classic SNES game.

I've just got my first - an old PSX. Oldish school (perhaps middle aged school).

Wow, I still consider this new-school. I listed my N64, but that still doesn't feel old school to me. I think you've gotta be talking SNES/Genesis or older. At the very least, you gotta pull out Sega Saturn (or Sega CD, maybe). I dunno, maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm becoming an old, old man.

g30ffr3y
Mar 11, 2004, 02:31 PM
i for one do not consider psx old school... not that i dont have one... but anything after super nintendo/sega genesis is not really that old...

i have:

atari 2600
nes
supernes
genesis
sega cd
gameboy pocket
gameboy color

newer...

playstation
n64
dreamcast
ps2
gamecube
gameboy advance
xbox [but i gave it to my girlfriend to use as a dvd player... i just actually traded back halo for $$$ towards metal gear solid twin snakes on gamecube... god that game rulz!!!]

nargot
Mar 11, 2004, 05:46 PM
Wow, I still consider this new-school. I listed my N64, but that still doesn't feel old school to me. I think you've gotta be talking SNES/Genesis or older. At the very least, you gotta pull out Sega Saturn (or Sega CD, maybe). I dunno, maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm becoming an old, old man.

I agree and i must be getting old too :). Old school is really the pre-nintendo/ 8 bit era and for those older than myself... well they already listed many systems that i'm sure most young'ns nowadays never heard of. So an PSX is in no way old school... they still make games for it!

themadchemist
Mar 13, 2004, 01:04 AM
My little bro and I share our newest systems: PS2 & GameCube. He's also been through a Gameboy Color (lost), Gameboy Advance (I traded it in for Soul Calibur II; no, not without his OK), and the recent addition: Gameboy SP (I traded the Advance in after he got the SP). I also had a Virtual Boy at one point; it was working fine but in storage: My dad thought it would be A OK just to give it away to someone. Definitely did not make me happy. That thing was cool.

5300cs
Apr 9, 2004, 09:36 AM
Yes, there was a floor pad for the NES. I cannot remember the name though... and there were only about 2-3 games for it.

I'd love to have a Lynx.. now THERE'S a blast from the past.

I still have my 2600, all the games, and all the boxes (w/manuals, too.)

Mike Teezie
Apr 9, 2004, 03:41 PM
Man, I LOVE my NES.

Favorite NES games:

Ninja Turtles 1. I declare this game unbeatable without Game Genie.
Ninja Turtles 2
Mario 2 and 3
Contra
Castlevania
RC Pro Am
Mega Man 2
Excitebike

I'm forgetting several. The cool thing is, one of my friend's family used to own a video rental place before Blockbuster came in and shut them down. So they have virtually every NES game ever. We have the lay down mat for Track and Field. It's great!

The SNES might be my favorite system of all time.

Super Mario World - Best Mario ever.
Shadowrun - this might be my favorite video game ever.
Fzero
Mega Man X
Donkey Kong Country
Mario Kart
Rock N Roll racing
Super Smash TV
Street FIghter 2
NBA Jam

Great, great times.....

:)

kiwi_the_iwik
Apr 9, 2004, 06:56 PM
Mine used to be the good ol' ZX81!!!

Hours wasted away at 3D Monster Maze, or even ZX Flight Simulator!!

I used to turn green at friends who had the ZX Spectrum, and want to disembowel those smug enough to own a Commodore 64...

Then I got my Apple ][e (VERY cool games - everything that came out for the C-64 came out for the Apple, so I was happy as hell).

It didn't last long before I got the Mac 512KE - REALLY decent games (remember Dark Castle??).

I never actually GOT a gaming console until '98 - when I got my Playstation. Loved it... Now it sits in a satchel in the corner.

Oh, how times changed...

:rolleyes:

taeclee99
Apr 11, 2004, 11:08 PM

Atari Lynx was cool. California games surfing on that console was the best surfing game ever imho.

Kingsnapped
Apr 11, 2004, 11:52 PM
I have the floor pad too. It worked for an aerobics game and World Class Track Meet. I belive it was called the Power Pad. My NES still works, and I play Ninja Turtles 2 with friends on it quite a bit.

kiwi_the_iwik
Apr 13, 2004, 02:20 AM
My PS1 MAY actually come out of retirement, as I'm considering getting a control mat, too! It seems like a great way to play my "Shane Warne 99 Cricket" game - Jump on "X" to hit the ball, whilst jumping on the arrow keys for direction... Good for 2-player games, where you can have a mat each (one for bowler, one for batsman!).

Cool.
:cool:

Blue Moon
Apr 26, 2004, 07:38 PM
Does N64 count as Old Skool yet? I'm a Super-Smash Bros. God. :) Not too bad at Duck Hunt either..that's definitely old school.

evildead
May 4, 2004, 08:32 PM
I started with the Caleeco Vision then moved to the atari 2600. Then moved to the NES and finaly caughlt up to the other neighborhood kids. The Genesis was next, then the PS1. After that, I hung up my control pad. My favoret is still my Mac+ with Prince of Pershia. Coolest Back and white game ever!

-evildead

djwoolf
May 28, 2004, 11:40 AM
lemmie see I have (oldest first)
Atari 2600 w/30 games
NES (the original) w/25 games
Gameboy (the original)
Gamegear
N64
PS one
PS2
Game Cube
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy advance sp
I didn't opt for an Xbox cause its huge and I couldn't put it anywhere

windowsblowsass
Jun 10, 2004, 01:00 PM
Yes, there was a floor pad for the NES. I cannot remember the name though... and there were only about 2-3 games for it.

I'd love to have a Lynx.. now THERE'S a blast from the past.

I still have my 2600, all the games, and all the boxes (w/manuals, too.)
maybe we could come to an agreement ive got a lynx

g4cubed
Jun 15, 2004, 10:54 PM
Atari 2600 with original box and working. I break it out every so often. Nintendo, super nintendo, PS I and PS II. I love my games. :D
I just decided to get and Xbox just to see if I can mod it. I try to stay away from Micro$oft products when I can. Damn work won't go mac :mad:

jaw04005
Jul 3, 2004, 12:25 PM
I have all of the following:

Nintendo
Gameboy
Super Nintendo
Gameboy Pocket
Sega Genesis
Sega GameGear
N64
Gameboy Color

Playstation
GameCube
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Playstation 2

Interesting that the Nintendo products still work. However, the Sega products don't. Hurm..

I still break out the NES and SNES to play the Mega Man and Super Mario series. Overall, the SNES has been my favorite system. I won a ton of great games released for that system. ;) I'm excited that Nintendo is bringing the "old series" line back to the GA!

jaw04005
Jul 3, 2004, 12:26 PM
I forgot, anyone remember the "Power Glove" for the NES? I never could get mine to work! There was also some sort of large gun for the SNES, that I always wanted and never got. Hehe. Fun Times.

Mav451
Jul 3, 2004, 12:42 PM
omg the Power glove! Of course, I was like 5 or 6 back then, so good luck convincing mom/pop to buy me one haha. All I remember was going to Sears to play Terminator 2 on the big screen there...ah the good ol' days.

The gun I think was called (something) Scope, IIRC.

letterbox
Jul 27, 2004, 11:59 PM
An NES from when it was big bucks... $100, which is still big bucks to me today.

Anybody ever own/play TurboGFX 16? I love that thing, with thte credit card sized games...Bonk :)

themadchemist
Jul 31, 2004, 08:37 PM
I started with the Caleeco Vision then moved to the atari 2600. Then moved to the NES and finaly caughlt up to the other neighborhood kids. The Genesis was next, then the PS1. After that, I hung up my control pad. My favoret is still my Mac+ with Prince of Pershia. Coolest Back and white game ever!

-evildead

Prince of Persia is a cool game!

uvex
Jul 31, 2004, 08:55 PM
I have an intellivision that I power up a least twice a week, I'm still addicted to Lock N Chase

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 31, 2004, 09:07 PM
The big gun for the SNES was called the Super Scope and came packaged with a game called "Super Scope 6". It worked with some Yoshi game too.

Anyway, I was just reading up on the secret areas in Metroid the other day. I never could get into it, has anybody here ever done so? It's really pretty cool reading about where they come from! :D

LimeiBook86
Aug 9, 2004, 11:44 AM
I have multiple old NES but they don't really work. I have an Atari 2600 JR, and 2 regular versions, a Sega Genesis Arcade Machine along with multiple other Sega Genesis Systems including a Sega CD and a 32X. I also like to play Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64. I hardly play PS1 (PSX) because I can't find many of the games, and most of them are scratched. I have an NES mostly for playing Super Mario World. I have some rare accessories for the Genesis and SNES, I have the Menacer gun for Genesis, and the SuperScope for the SNES, a blue pistol for Genesis, an Activator for Genesis, and a few other things.

My favorite system has to be Sega Genesis since I grew up with that, well before that I had the Atari 2600 with a few games. But Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog changed my game experience forever. I ended up buying NES and SNES and other Nintendo systems after my Sega Saturn. Now I have an XBox (my brother's), a Nintendo GameCube (my brother's), and a PlayStation 2 (my other brother's), and a PC for playing MAME for when those one of two games don't work on the Mac version.

I love old gaming, I might even buy Mac OS X Puyro-Puyro just for the USB Sega Saturn controller!! :) <flushes $70 down the toliet>

List of my home systems:
Sega Genesis - I got this first
Sega 32X and Sega CD - I have few games for these but they kick!
NES - I got this later for christmas when it was already considered old
Sega Saturn - used to play Sonic Jam on this and liked to view the videos
PlayStation - Never really got into this, played a few games that's it
Sega Dreamcast - I loved this! Played Sonic Adventure and other games
PlayStation 2 - Some fun games with this system, but I loved my Sega
GameCube - I love this system because of the Sonic games and SSBM
XBox - This system is like having a PC to play games on...but it's not...

List of my portable systems:
Game Gear - My brother had this and never let me play it, now I have one
GameBoy Original (B&W) - I had one or two games for it, got it for $12
GameBoy Color - I loved this, got it to play Pokémon 24/7, haha
GameBoy Advance - A very cool system, some fun games there
GameBoy Advance SP - My brother's awesome GameBoy system
Palm OS - Wish I can play more games on there...

List of my computer systems:
Apple IIgs - Recently bought this, played some small games on it
Macintosh IIci- Played some great old games on this
Macintosh 7500 - Played better games on here
Macintosh G4 AGP 450 - Played good high-quality games on here
PowerBook G4 12'' Rev A - One word...Halo
Pentium 4 PC - Play the roms on here along with UT 2003 and 2004.

I love my old video games...my favorite I guess would be my Sega Genesis!! :D

sonyrules
Aug 10, 2004, 01:49 PM
Sega Dreamcast, i only play it for Crazy taxi. Cuas ethe PS2 version sucks

friarbayliff
Aug 10, 2004, 01:56 PM
I still have the NES that I got when I was five years old. Up until recently, I actually used my old N64 - unfortunately it met an untimely death at the hands of small children...okay, not really small, just 13 and stupid :(

LimeiBook86
Aug 11, 2004, 12:01 AM
...okay, not really small, just 13 and stupid :(

hahahaha, that's great! ;)

I have to say that most of my favorite games are older ones I played as a child.

HeWhoSpitsFire
Aug 13, 2004, 01:26 PM
NES playing either mega man or tecmo bowl. Had this thing for.....damn I can't remember.