Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I just installed XP pro SP2 on my macbook with Fusion.
Do i need to worry about getting all the microsoft updates, and buying an anti virus software for the windows material ?

Also, can i get windows viruses now? and will it affect my macbook when fusion is not running? (or will it be limited to only when i am running fusion)

Thanks,
Star

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
shut the virtual machine down... open the virtual machine library window... select the virtual machine you want to change the settings for and select settings at the bottom

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
shut the virtual machine down... open the virtual machine library window... select the virtual machine you want to change the settings for and select settings at the bottom

I think you are in the wrong thread.

OP, yes you need to update and run AV, since you are running a windows machine. However if the machine does get a virus, it will only affect the windows side, and not the OS X side.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
You do need AV, but save your money. Try the free version of AVG - it works perfectly well and doesn't cost a dime.

(free.grisoft.com IIRC)

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
no, sorry he is not in the wrong thread, that is what i had originally posted. But literally 5 seconds after posting i tried just that and it worked, and i couldnt delete the thread completely so i just changed it to another question i was wondering about..

sorry to cause confusion. :S

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
no, sorry he is not in the wrong thread, that is what i had originally posted. But literally 5 seconds after posting i tried just that and it worked, and i couldnt delete the thread completely so i just changed it to another question i was wondering about..

sorry to cause confusion. :S

haha thanks for clearing that up cause i thought i was losing my mind for a second

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Ahh, makes sense, I saw a thread title with a question that fit his answer and thought maybe he accidentally hit the wrong thread.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hi,

Personally, I prefer to use Windows Live OneCare as my AV as you get a license to install it on up to 3 machines. It also includes Backup and "TuneUp" software.

My 500th Post!!! :eek:

Bobbi Flekman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
In short, you will have to do anything you would have to do on a regular Windows machine. Period.

You don't have to afraid of infecting the OS X side of the machine, but your virtual machine is just as vulnerable as it would have been otherwise.

There is one bright side that I noticed in my work (computer security/programming) and that is that these days many infections don't run on a virtual machine. So in this case that is a blessing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.