Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Greetings all.
I really need some help in trying to figure out what is reality here.

I recently bought a ALU book 1.25
after selling my ti 800

I now really regret this action.

Here is my situation.

I find that the palm rests become far too hot after about an hours, they infact become warm after only 10 or 20 minutes. I find this intolerable for typing etc..... Compared to my Ti, this unit is a egg cooker.

Now I thought that the Ti was a hot machine but the palm rests never got warm!

Sure all around, the Ti was hot but never on the palm rests.
After sending the unit to APPLE to be inspected, they returned it telling me that
it was operating within specs!

I get various different answers from APPLE reps.

A:No this unit is NOT designed to get HOT in the palm rest area. That would be silly.

B: Yes, it is designed to get hot there, because it is a faster chip and the whole
body disperses the heat.

But, when i tried another unit at a store that was on for a while it didnt seem hot in the least.

I am calling out to all the ALU book users to answer this question for me.

Is your Palm rest area hot?
I am merely typing and surfing the net, when the heat appears.

Should I forget about the ALU books and get a G5 and wait for the newer G5 Powerbooks to arrive and hope that the heat issue is resolved before getting a laptop.

I sure miss my Ti 800, that was the SWEET spot of Apples product line.!!!

I could cry....
There isnt any other Apple stores in my
area and I can't go back to the place that I bought this from, I think that they knew that they were selling me a lemon!

I appreciate any help!

HELP!!

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
.... probably not a lemon just how it is ... do a search about 12" powerbooks 867 to see about their heat problems ... or call applecare .... I've had 4 logic boards replaced in an iBook and then i had the right ot say lemon... one issue with a otherwise funciton powerbook does not make it a lemon

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
uhhh does that address my question?

I am using the 15 inch Alu not the 12 inch, so I dont think that it is wise to compare the two, really.

We all know about the 12 ich heat issue which were supposed to be resolved in the new revisions.

I would love to please hear from any Alu 15 users to get a direct comparison!

Nebbish

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
I have a new 15" 1.25, and it can get hot if I am using the CD\DVD burner, but otherwise it is never hot on the palm rest, the worst I can remeber is slightly warm on the rest, and that was playing games on my BED!

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
well, my 12 inch pb 867 gets bloody hot on the left palm rest because the hard drive rests under there.

Im suprised no apple reps knew this.

Thats your problem and there really is no solution.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Well, I can trade you my 667 DVI for your PowerBook, it never gets hot! I would include some cash, then you could get a G5, and have a laptop in the SWEET spot of Apples product range!~

Wren

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
Los Angeles
I have the 17PB and have not had the heat problem. In fact, the palm area NEVER got hot. Sorry to hear bout your dillema. Hope Apple fixes it soon.

MCPeck

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2003
I have the 1.25 pbook and it is the coolest (literally) laptop I have ever encountered. The only times I have ever noticed any heat is when burning cds or dvds, and on my bed where the ventilation sucks.

I'd throw a serious hissy-fit with the apple reps and tell them what we have all said and that your problems is unacceptable. :( It could be your cd/dvd drive just won't spin down? Ot the primary cpu heat-sink is faulty....
either way, I'd send it in.

I love my pbook and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.... well maybe a date with Alicia Witt or Heather Kozar. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.