Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
Does anyone have a guess as to how much space would be left "out of the box" with Leopard installed? I know I can shave Leopard down a bit with taking out the crap but I cant remember:confused: who much space was used up when i first turned on my MB (sold to buy the MBA) THNXS for your input.:D

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Does anyone have a guess as to how much space would be left "out of the box" with Leopard installed? I know I can shave Leopard down a bit with taking out the crap but I cant remember:confused: who much space was used up when i first turned on my MB (sold to buy the MBA) THNXS for your input.:D

If I remember from when my MacBook was young, think it was about the 30GB used out of the box. I'm up to 60GB used - but that includes a couple of VMs. With Leopard, iLife 08, iWork 08, Office, and the Adobe CS3 suite installed that runs to around 40GB including data. I don't use it for an iTunes library.

So I figure about half the drive will be used from the SSD on the MBA

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
One thing's for certain. I don't think Boot Camp's going to be possible.

SSDs are definitely the future, but when they get to 128GB I'll start thinking about them seriously. That shouldn't be long now.

ls10flpanyc

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
If I remember from when my MacBook was young, think it was about the 30GB used out of the box. I'm up to 60GB used - but that includes a couple of VMs. With Leopard, iLife 08, iWork 08, Office, and the Adobe CS3 suite installed that runs to around 40GB including data. I don't use it for an iTunes library.

So I figure about half the drive will be used from the SSD on the MBA

I believe you are correct...when I first got my MacBook, it showed that it had the total capacity for 232 GB and of that, 209 GB was available, so ~30GB is used by Leopard, iLife, and other standard software.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I believe you are correct...when I first got my MacBook, it showed that it had the total capacity for 232 GB and of that, 209 GB was available, so ~30GB is used by Leopard, iLife, and other standard software.

you got a 250 gig hard drive for your macbook? I'm impressed.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

64 gb is more like 60gb.

Default Leopard Install is 9gb. I think that includes 2gb of driver.

Yo do the math... I would carry around a 2.5" drive.

One thing's for certain. I don't think Boot Camp's going to be possible.

SSDs are definitely the future, but when they get to 128GB I'll start thinking about them seriously. That shouldn't be long now.

Bootcamp is possible. Probably better on external drive.

128gb SSD is $3000 last time I checked.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
250 gig in my MB as well. Got a WD Passport 250 Gb, ripped it out, swopped out the drive, put my old MB drive in.

SSD's are not a mainstream solution yet. Nearly - and premium options like this, and others similar from other manufacturers, are hopefully going to be the catalyst to tip them into the category of mainstream.

Doug

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Trim Leopard by removing iDVD/Garageband/etc if you don't use it. Also, the extra language files and printer drivers.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
a 250GB drive is not a 250GB usable drive.

you take 93.7% of the advertised total, and thats what you have for usable space.

manufactures like to rip ppl off by saying 1GB = 1000MB which is a complete lie. bytes are not measured in units of 10, they are measured in units of 2 (binary)

2^10 = 1024, so in reality 1GB = 1024MB

a 250GB drive is around 234.25GB usable maybe less after formatting and stuff.

watergun

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Thats before the mac os x install right? Also whats your general opinion? Thnxs

Yes, 59.6GB is the total usable size. If I were to buy a MBA, I would go for the SSD one. :D 4200rpm HDD is just too slow for me.

What I like the most from SSD:
- fast, really fast (FYI, I am using Mtron 64GB with 100MB/s read, 80MB/s write) - I never time the booting time etc but it's really fast and most applications open instantly
- No more hot palm area above where the HDD resides

watergun

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
How big a difference has this drive made in terms of battery life? Boot times? App loads? Anything else?

I don't think I can get significant batt life improvement from my SSD. But honestly I never timed it before and after. And changing drive in MBP is a pain in the back :D

Boot times - with QS, growl, smcFancontrol, SteerMouse and tons of other startup applications, I can boot Leopard around 20secs.

App loads - just let me know if u have specific apps u want me to test. Just for general ideas: Word 2008 ~ 3secs, Excel 2008 ~ 2 secs, PowerPoint 2008 ~ 4secs and Photoshop CS3 ~ 2secs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.