PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsule as a simple HD?

GuillaumeB
Jan 16, 2008, 06:03 PM
I was just wondering what you guys understood on this Time Capsule thing...I dont use Time machine at all. I tried but find it pointless as i backup documents on my iDisk
However, I was wondering if Time capsule could be used as a simple wifi hard drive. i dont want to have to buy a Mac Mini just for storage thing but if i could have a central hardrive for my three computers at home and connect it thru wifi then i'm interested.

is it just glued to Time machine?

iSee
Jan 16, 2008, 06:33 PM
It mounts as a hard drive, so you can use it directly:

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/wireless.html
Time Capsule with Time Machine in Leopard is the ideal backup solution. But that doesn’t mean Tiger, Windows XP, and Windows Vista users can’t enjoy the benefits of Time Capsule, too. Because it mounts as a wireless hard drive, Tiger and Windows users simply access Time Capsule directly from the wireless network for exchanging and storing files quickly and easily.

emaja
Jan 16, 2008, 06:36 PM
I can't see why not. In fact, I am hoping to use one as an iTunes server of sorts and re-rip my CDs at a higher bitrate for better sound quality.

I am interested to know if hooking up an additional hard drive will allow disk spanning for even larger capacity.

Atken
Jan 16, 2008, 07:03 PM
According to the specs on the from the apple.com store it says

"Time Capsule also works great as a wireless hard drive whether you have a Mac or PC. It sets up in a snap, giving you a networked hard drive you can use for storing and sharing any kinds of files."

So, to answer your original question, yes. You aren't limited to Time Capsule usage.

Additionally it has a usb port on it which according to apple:

"USB port for connecting a USB printer or USB external hard drive"

So you aren't limited by the amount of internal space. It is unclear how an internal and external hdd would interact however.

mrjain
Jan 16, 2008, 10:43 PM
I'm getting one for sure. Is it me or is the 500GB Time Capsules a steal.

An AirPort Extreme Base Station is USD 179.00. For an additional USD 120, you get a 500GB drive to boot!

take care,

mrj

KindredMAC
Jan 17, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'm getting one for sure. Is it me or is the 500GB Time Capsules a steal.

An AirPort Extreme Base Station is USD 179.00. For an additional USD 120, you get a 500GB drive to boot!

take care,

mrj

It does seem like the best deal to me.

My question is can you access the HDD in case of failure so I can replace it myself?

matttrick
Jan 17, 2008, 11:34 AM
It does seem like the best deal to me.

My question is can you access the HDD in case of failure so I can replace it myself?

ditto. this is what i need to know before pulling the trigger

alshead
Jan 17, 2008, 11:44 AM
I hate to be the big bummer in this thread, but it is NOT a steal of a deal--especially if you're comparing it to existing devices. An AEBS is 179 USD, and you can get 500GB HD's for $120 all over the place now-- so you're paying for a new device that is just replacing an old device that was advertised as being able to do all of this same stuff, but doesn't. I'm utterly upset that they did all of this without providing an upgrade to make the AEBS work- not only with Time Machine, but even the Airport Disk. They advertise that the Time Capsule will be able to mount external USB drives as well, but I'd be wary of that because it hardly works on the AEBS, which is the same device without a built-in HD. It would be a great deal if they fixed the tens of thousands of AEBS's out there that don't work the way they were advertised.

matttrick
Jan 17, 2008, 12:19 PM
I hate to be the big bummer in this thread, but it is NOT a steal of a deal--especially if you're comparing it to existing devices. An AEBS is 179 USD, and you can get 500GB HD's for $120 all over the place now-- so you're paying for a new device that is just replacing an old device that was advertised as being able to do all of this same stuff, but doesn't. I'm utterly upset that they did all of this without providing an upgrade to make the AEBS work- not only with Time Machine, but even the Airport Disk. They advertise that the Time Capsule will be able to mount external USB drives as well, but I'd be wary of that because it hardly works on the AEBS, which is the same device without a built-in HD. It would be a great deal if they fixed the tens of thousands of AEBS's out there that don't work the way they were advertised.

well the value of time capsule has absolutely zero to do with the problem with other existing hardware. i agree that apple needs to correct the issues with using an AEBS and an external HDD. no disagreement there. but again, this has nothing to do with the value of the time capsule. if you dont have the AEBS and an HDD, this is a decent deal. still, i want to know what happens when the HDD fails.

gkarris
Jan 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
still, i want to know what happens when the HDD fails.

Apple Care...

matttrick
Jan 18, 2008, 12:49 PM
Apple Care...

and when it expires?

amusiccale
Jan 18, 2008, 01:18 PM
and when it expires?

To be fair, after that time is about when I stop trusting a hard drive to store any important data because of the increasing risk of failure. Mechanical failure is, after all, a matter of when not if.

Le Big Mac
Jan 18, 2008, 01:37 PM
still, i want to know what happens when the HDD fails.

Say it fails out of warranty . . . there's still a USB port for hooking up more externals. And the router keeps working. Worst case is you have a router and no internal HD -- if they still haven't fixed the Airdisk issue by then, you're no worse off than if you bought AEBS + hard drive (which failed)

skellener
Jan 18, 2008, 02:32 PM
.....and you can get 500GB HD's for $120 all over the place now..... How many of those $120, 500GB HD are server grade? (50-70K hours)

gkarris
Jan 18, 2008, 02:40 PM
and when it expires?

open that puppy up!

Le Big Mac
Jan 18, 2008, 02:41 PM
To be fair, after that time is about when I stop trusting a hard drive to store any important data because of the increasing risk of failure. Mechanical failure is, after all, a matter of when not if.

Of course, if you're using it just as a backup, well, you've got the original data . . .

It does seem like a pretty good deal--certainly not way *over*priced like memory in any computer. $120 is fair for a harddrive. Of course, this assumes you need a wireless router . . .

Drumjim85
Jan 18, 2008, 02:52 PM
How many of those $120, 500GB HD are server grade? (50-70K hours)

and whats server grade mean??? ...

nickinVictoria
Jan 18, 2008, 03:14 PM
One would be better off buying a NAS device. They come with printer support, bit torrent client, ftp servcie, rsync, iTunes server and so much more. Furthermore you can buy one with 2 hard drives and get a real backup solution.

Synology sells a nice featured box with tech support and there is a real low cost one single drive at http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Stardom/SL36202SLB2/

Cousin Dirk
Jan 18, 2008, 03:31 PM
I'm utterly upset that they did all of this without providing an upgrade to make the AEBS work- not only with Time Machine, but even the Airport Disk. They advertise that the Time Capsule will be able to mount external USB drives as well, but I'd be wary of that because it hardly works on the AEBS, which is the same device without a built-in HD. It would be a great deal if they fixed the tens of thousands of AEBS's out there that don't work the way they were advertised.

I still don't know why they've not fixed the Time Machine/Airport Extreme Disc problem, since it is apparently not a complicated solution (http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/11/08/why-leopards-time-machine-doesnt-support-airport-disks/).

skellener
Jan 18, 2008, 04:15 PM
and whats server grade mean??? ... It's gonna last much, much longer.

skellener
Jan 18, 2008, 04:20 PM

iSee
Jan 18, 2008, 04:27 PM
One would be better off buying a NAS device. They come with printer support, bit torrent client, ftp servcie, rsync, iTunes server and so much more. Furthermore you can buy one with 2 hard drives and get a real backup solution.

Synology sells a nice featured box with tech support and there is a real low cost one single drive at http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Stardom/SL36202SLB2/

That's a nifty device, but Time Capsule has some advantages, too. For one thing, TC has a built-in 802.11n base station. TC is simpler (well, that's a disadvantage to people who like to tinker, but a good thing for others). The fans listed in the spec on the NAS you linked to made me worry about how loud it is (Though, for all I know, TC sounds like a jet--will probably have to wait and find out).

skellener
Jan 18, 2008, 04:53 PM
And an extra powerbrick.

jlanuez
Jan 18, 2008, 05:00 PM
and whats server grade mean??? ...

Talked to a rep on the floor of MacWorld on Wednesday and he too brought up the fact that the HD inside is 'Server Grade" - meaning of higher quality than what someone will go out if they are looking for the cheepest they can get to hook up to USB port. He made a point to say this is why the new device WILL do those things (Time Machine, network HD sharing) that the current device (with any old USB chepo HD attached) will not.

This was his explaination why they won't jsut upgrade the software in the current device and let you hook up your own USB HD.

Drumjim85
Jan 18, 2008, 06:00 PM
It's gonna last much, much longer.

can you give me a spec? .. cause I'm pretty sure apple just made this term up...

Kilamite
Jan 18, 2008, 06:58 PM
So you aren't limited by the amount of internal space. It is unclear how an internal and external hdd would interact however.

It would be seen as two separate hard drives. I doubt it is possible to have some sort of RAID configuration between the two.

Plug in a USB hard drive and it'll work exactly the same as any other Airport Extreme would with a hard drive attached.

What I am wanting to know is the performance of it. How it is connected to Time Capsule - is it a lot more reliable and faster performance than using a USB hard drive?

skellener
Jan 18, 2008, 07:43 PM
can you give me a spec? .. cause I'm pretty sure apple just made this term up...

"Server grade” hard drives are better known as “enterprise class” hard drives, and they are better.

What is a "server grade" hard drive? (http://blog.techstuff.ca/post/23958238)
The primary distinction is that enterprise class hard drives are more rigorously tested so as to typically guarantee over 1 million hours Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF), assuming 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week usage. Hard drive makers rarely ever quote a similar spec for consumer drives—you know, the drives that all of us typically have our data stored on in our PCs or external hard drives.

More here...
Apple's Time Capsule: A Sturdy Hard Drive (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006296.html)

mashinhead
Jan 18, 2008, 07:51 PM
i was wondering the same thing, i have an airport extreme and put my external on to it but i find that it's just not fast enough. Don't get me wrong it works, but the world's still not ready for wireless hd. It isn't smooth enough, i ended up hard connecting it, cos it was still slow. Actually only with video. It's faster to download the file to your computer than to play it off a hd wirelessly.

Willis
Jan 18, 2008, 07:53 PM
"Server grade” hard drives are better known as “enterprise class” hard drives, and they are better.

More here...
Apple's Time Capsule: A Sturdy Hard Drive (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006296.html)

1 Million hours = 114 Years and a couple of days =)..... on average

chances are, it will last around 5-10 years before you throw it out and get a new one cause it has a larger HDD :o

matttrick
Jan 18, 2008, 08:22 PM

im sorry but i expect more than 3 years out of a hard drive. most of my computers last around 5.