Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HansSH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Hi. I'm trying to start using C++, and I'm running a Macbook Pro, with 10.5.1, and Xcode version 3.0. I've done simple C++ before, and I just want to know how to get into a workspace which I can create, and build as I want. Right now, I just want to make a program that "cout"s a phrase. How can I open a workspace and an editing file, which I can finish, and compile in Xcode?

Thanks!

HansSH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
There are instructions here.
Those instructions are for Xcode 2.3, right? In 3.0, there's nothing called "C++ Tool." It gives me "Carbon C++ Application" and "Carbon C++ Standard Application." What's the difference?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
It is there, it's under the "Command Line Utility" section. Shows up for me in Xcode 3.0

HansSH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Another Problem

I've now made the code that I wish to compile, build, and execute. So, naturally, I clicked "Build and Go." However, to my dismay, nothing happens. No Terminal program is opened. No DOS-like window is opened, such as on Visual C++. How would I be able to accomplish this?

clh

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
xcode 3.0

Hi,
I am using Xcode 3.0, when I try to create a new project, the Assistant does not show anything under Command line utility. I would like to create a fortran project, and cannot find Standard tool under "Command line utility", Why???
Thank you.
C.

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
I've now made the code that I wish to compile, build, and execute. So, naturally, I clicked "Build and Go." However, to my dismay, nothing happens. No Terminal program is opened. No DOS-like window is opened, such as on Visual C++. How would I be able to accomplish this?

"Build and Go" doesn't open external apps which in this case you need the Terminal to open. When you go to build it, just hit "Build" and double click the UNIX executable file in the Xcode window.

And I don't know what resources you have but have you checked out this place? I've been looking at it for the last few days and I think it's perfect.

twgil

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
I had that same idea to start with C++ in Xcode. It's WAY easier to learn cocoa (objective C) than to try and get C++ to work with Aqua programs. If you're just using command line tools C++ will be easy enough.

guardian85

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
also the short cut command to get the console is: shift + command +r

its quicker than going to run -> console

im one of those people who don't like to take their hands off the keyboard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.