PDA

View Full Version : Not Buying It: MacBook Air Disappoints

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2008, 09:31 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Not Buying It: MacBook Air Disappoints (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080117103127)
Description:: The MacBook Air is, at first glance or really any glance one of the most impressive looking little laptops ever to appear. Anyone who hauls a laptop around a lot would be hard pressed not to be excited about the prospect of a good, lightweight laptop with a full sized keyboard. For me, the easy to carry PowerBook 12 has long served as my trusty mobile companion and I was excited about the idea of a lighter, newer model to follow in its path. Having seen the MacBook Air, it seems in many ways to be the true successor to my PowerBook but if I were shopping today, a MacBook Pro would get my money.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

dsnort
Jan 17, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'll save you some time reading . He doesn't like it because it's not a new 12" PB.

SheriffParker
Jan 17, 2008, 07:54 PM
He says he'd rather get a MacBook Pro. I'm sure Apple would rather that he get a MacBook Pro. It costs more. A 13" MacBook pro would sell like hotcakes, but Apple wouldn't make as much money.

MikeTheC
Jan 18, 2008, 07:52 PM
Oh, c'mon guys. There must be someone around here who likes the MBA.

*looks around board*

Hmm...

prostuff1
Jan 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
He says he'd rather get a MacBook Pro. I'm sure Apple would rather that he get a MacBook Pro. It costs more. A 13" MacBook pro would sell like hotcakes, but Apple wouldn't make as much money.

Now see, thats just backwards ass thinking as far as i am concerned.

I wonder how many people would buy the 13in MB instead of going up to the MBP??

Luckily i have a little longer that i can wait for the proper replacement to the 12in PB but if i was buying today Apple WOULD NOT be getting the extra money for the 15in MBP out of me.

JML42691
Jan 18, 2008, 08:57 PM
Oh, c'mon guys. There must be someone around here who likes the MBA.

*looks around board*

Hmm...
I like it, but I am not in the position to buy it, (my MacBook is 1.5 months old) and even if I were, there are a few things that Apple could have done with it, a type of home docking system (even if just one plug going into the computer connecting to it) would have made it better, like apple had a pop-down Firewire 400/800 port that could be used to connect to a hub system of a super-drive and more USBs and other Firewires, then it would be an ideal product.

pGr2201
Jan 18, 2008, 09:07 PM
I just bought it. My wife's MBP is just too big for me to carry around. I do about 100k skymiles per year and didn't need the same thing I have in a desktop in my laptop. Plus it looks really cool. You spend for the things you want in life; cars, houses, watches, etc. I thought my wife's old macbook was the best computer ever but it lacked that "wow factor". The MBA is the only Mac out that has it.

jnc
Jan 18, 2008, 09:08 PM
I like it, but I bought a Mac Pro a week ago, I'm in no hurry to buy another machine.

When I am ready I'll likely go for the low-end 15" 2.2 (or whatever speed it will be by then) Pro. Can't justify Air at its current RRP (even with Edu discount!) - make no mistake, price / my ability to afford it is the only boundary!

apachie2k
Jan 18, 2008, 09:11 PM
i like it, but i can't justify buying it, for me, i don't need something super thin without a superdrive, fw, and all that stuff... i like it though!

zephyrnoid
Jan 18, 2008, 10:36 PM
I have to be careful as many years ago, I dissed a certain Apple introduction that proved me wrong and went on to be a hit.
My take on the sight unseen MBA.
1) Yes! Of course I need this concept and form-factor when traveling. It is in theory, the traveling businessman's dream notebook. Great for anyone on the go that just needs processing power in the smallest Mac form-factor possible.
I won't elaborate further on this part as what we all already know is self-evident.
2) My gut instinct as a Human Factors professional and user of Macs is that a certain Jakob Nielsen Heuristic springs to mind- Familiarity is king. I felt dismembered phantom limbs twitching at the thought of NO optical drive and totally wireless connectivity to the net and to backup drives. Why the phantom limb syndrome? Maybe because I know that in many many parts of the world, I still have to use my ethernet port to connect and if I must carry that darn Time Capsule on my travels, I've defeated the point of a feather-light laptop. Please correct me on this assertion if I'm wrong.
3) So there I am in a town with no wireless hubs, trying to upload an important presentation or to send an e-mail message. Maybe if Apple bundled the iPhone with MBA, I could just use that for e-mail and that takes care of at least one issue.
4) So I've worked diligently to photograph the village for an on-the-go website I constructed for a client and have loaded them to the MBA via the USB2 port. Great! the local Village chieftan has an aging Mac in his hut and would love a CD Burn of my impressive work. Ugh! I forgot to pack my accessory optical drive- sorry chief, can't you get a Bluetooth card for that Quicksilver G4?
You get the idea, the international domains of use will be quite limited for about another 5 years I reckon. Hopefully, before then, Apple will reintroduce an ethernet port and maybe an optical Superdrive in a heavier version... or just give us a 13" Macbook Pro. C'mone Mr Jobs, YOU KNOW it's the right thing to do.:D and I do apologize for calling the ipod Gen 1 " a Sony Walkman disguised as a glorified bar of Ivory soap" my bad !