PDA

View Full Version : Conventional Wisdom: Apple will Sell Us iPhone Copy/Paste Fu...

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2008, 09:42 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Conventional Wisdom: Apple will Sell Us iPhone Copy/Paste Functionality (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080117104207)
Description:: There is a reason why Apple isnÕt giving us Copy/Paste functionality on our iPhone update. It isnÕt because their developers canÕt figure it out. And itÕs not because Apple doesnÕt understand how important it is. No, conventional wisdom will tell you that Apple has it ready to go. They are just waiting for the perfect time to bundle it with 5 other ÒfeaturesÓ that you really donÕt need and to sell it as a paid update.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Orng
Jan 17, 2008, 10:23 AM
dumb article. Why are people complaining about this?

Maybe I'd understand better if I hadn't decided to wait til after Macworld to buy my iPod Touch.

suckers :p

Alan / Falcon
Jan 17, 2008, 10:39 AM
Conventional Wisdom my left foot.

iPhone Matters likes to get things wrong. The reason there is a Paid Update to the iPod Touch is because they are not accounting for it the way that they are accounting for the iPhone (over time). Because they made all their money on the Touch when you bought it, they “have to” sell feature upgrades by a strict reading of account principles. Bug Fixes would not fall under the same category.

You will not have to buy any upgrades to the iPhone 1, at least not over the next couple years. The only paid upgrade (other than more SMS or something) will be a hardware upgrade to a 3G version of the phone.

Watch the “Designing Web Content for iPhone” video and read the Wired “insider” article on the development of the iPhone—some very smart people were really developing some really innovative stuff here, and it took a great deal of effort to make it run at all. It takes time to learn what is working and what isn’t working, and to fully test changes and roll them out. The changes to Google Maps are a great example: this has a whole new interface, because they realized a better way and had the time to make the changes, test them, and fully QA them before rolling them out.

Copy/Paste is *not* a small upgrade, as it entails adding a new memory layer, adding whole new gestures for selecting text, copying, pasting, and possibly cutting. As it is, some of the gestures (multi-finger scrolling in iFrames comes to mind) are already not immediately obvious, and screen real estate for new “buttons” is limited and fairly crowded. Copy/Paste is not a priority on the iPhone, because it is not intended to be a clone of your desktop computing experience - it isn’t a natural fit for the iPhone. Enough people think they want it that it will probably come, in time, however this article acusing Apple of intentionally delaying the release of this kind of functionality so that they can charge extra for it, and to go as far as to predict whole strings of these kinds of upgrades for the iPhone is pure unsubstantiated nonsense.

Alan :apple: Falcon

OhEsTen
Jan 17, 2008, 10:51 AM

iPhone Matters likes to get things wrong. The reason there is a Paid Update to the iPod Touch is because they are not accounting for it the way that they are accounting for the iPhone (over time).....

Well said.

P.S. Welcome to MR!

gr8ful
Jan 17, 2008, 12:20 PM

iPhone Matters likes to get things wrong. The reason there is a Paid Update to the iPod Touch is because they are not accounting for it the way that they are accounting for the iPhone (over time). Because they made all their money on the Touch when you bought it, they “have to” sell feature upgrades by a strict reading of account principles. Bug Fixes would not fall under the same category.

You will not have to buy any upgrades to the iPhone 1, at least not over the next couple years. The only paid upgrade (other than more SMS or something) will be a hardware upgrade to a 3G version of the phone.

Watch the “Designing Web Content for iPhone” video and read the Wired “insider” article on the development of the iPhone—some very smart people were really developing some really innovative stuff here, and it took a great deal of effort to make it run at all. It takes time to learn what is working and what isn’t working, and to fully test changes and roll them out. The changes to Google Maps are a great example: this has a whole new interface, because they realized a better way and had the time to make the changes, test them, and fully QA them before rolling them out.

Copy/Paste is *not* a small upgrade, as it entails adding a new memory layer, adding whole new gestures for selecting text, copying, pasting, and possibly cutting. As it is, some of the gestures (multi-finger scrolling in iFrames comes to mind) are already not immediately obvious, and screen real estate for new “buttons” is limited and fairly crowded. Copy/Paste is not a priority on the iPhone, because it is not intended to be a clone of your desktop computing experience - it isn’t a natural fit for the iPhone. Enough people think they want it that it will probably come, in time, however this article acusing Apple of intentionally delaying the release of this kind of functionality so that they can charge extra for it, and to go as far as to predict whole strings of these kinds of upgrades for the iPhone is pure unsubstantiated nonsense.

I agree with you, my understanding is the way things are accounted governs whether they have to charge for it or not. I believe Apple plans to fill in the holes in basic smartphone functionality for free (copy & paste, IM client, ability to store documents, etc). However, I do believe you will see Apple create and offer a number of applications for a fee; like for instance, ebook reader or a mobile version of iWork. Possibly could even see some new services offered by Apple for a fee.

Apple realizes that applications and services for the iPhone and IPod touch can be another very profitable revenue stream. They have to balance what should be free versus fee and how high that fee can be before people will balk and not pay.

killmoms
Jan 17, 2008, 12:23 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Alan Falcon—adding copy and paste is a low-level, OS-wide change. It's the kind of thing that will be in a major software update. The iPhone is being accounted for over 24 months specifically so its software can be updated for "free" for two years.

Popeye206
Jan 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
This is just all spiddle and spew based on the fact that Apple decided to charge for an update that by all rights should be for free to existing users. For goodness sake, if you buy a new one you get the update for free why not existing users since the darn thing has only been out for 3 months???

As for copy and paste.. we want it.. it's not killing us not to have it... the last 1.1.3 update to the iPhone was great... but of course, we all want more... And... those who want to toss mud will do so anyway they can.

Either way... I smile and wait for more... I know it's coming and this all just keeps getting better.

dukeblue91
Jan 17, 2008, 05:27 PM
This is just all spiddle and spew based on the fact that Apple decided to charge for an update that by all rights should be for free to existing users. For goodness sake, if you buy a new one you get the update for free why not existing users since the darn thing has only been out for 3 months???

As for copy and paste.. we want it.. it's not killing us not to have it... the last 1.1.3 update to the iPhone was great... but of course, we all want more... And... those who want to toss mud will do so anyway they can.

Either way... I smile and wait for more... I know it's coming and this all just keeps getting better.

Actually at the moment Apple is giving a $20 discount on the touch because you still have to pay for the update.

SheriffParker
Jan 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
Actually at the moment Apple is giving a $20 discount on the touch because you still have to pay for the update.

They are bundling the apps with new iPod Touches that come off the assembly line, however, since a large amount of "old" iPods were still on store shelves, there was no way Apple could open the packages and install the software, hence the 20 dollar discount for models who were packaged before the update.