PDA

View Full Version : Air can boot from remote optical disc

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2008, 09:45 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Air can boot from remote optical disc (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080117104517)
Description:: One of the early mysteries of Apple's ultra-thin portable put to rest

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

TEG
Jan 17, 2008, 10:17 AM
Duh!

This was said on Apple's website on Tuesday. Do we really need someone to write an article about it.

TEG

zombitronic
Jan 17, 2008, 10:35 AM
Magical.

This makes the lack of an opti-drive even less of a concern. Maybe some people use their optical drives more than others, but me, I use it maybe once a week. The last piece of software that I had to install from a disc was Leopard.

The only issue that I still see is media. But if it's a CD, I'm gonna rip it and I'll initially do that on my desktop with a big hard drive. I don't watch movies on my Mac; that's why I have a TV. The problem that still remains is that a laptop is a portable, making it a great on-the-go DVD player. Not when there's nowhere to stick a DVD, though. Although, with the new FOX digital copy thing... Only problem there is drive space on the Air.

Hey, it's the first Mac without an opti-drive, (not including :apple:TV, which should have one so it can replace my POS DVD player. And a TV tuner, while I'm on the rant.) I think Apple may be ahead of the game, as they were when they nixed the floppy drive. The question is, when will the rest of the industry move forward, as well? I think we'll see Blu-Ray drives become commonplace before we see no opti-drives at all.

This got way off topic. I think Wireless network booting rocks.

The end.

barijazz
Jan 17, 2008, 12:30 PM
Like SJ said the lack of optical drive is no big deal. they still offer the MB and MBP which carry optical drives for people who use them a lot. I think the MBA is a great idea, it just appeals to a different market.

pacohaas
Jan 17, 2008, 01:27 PM
The problem that still remains is that a laptop is a portable, making it a great on-the-go DVD player. Not when there's nowhere to stick a DVD, though.
Not sure why, but I hadn't thought about this until you mentioned it. I am onboard with the optical-free concept except for this point. I mean I guess you could rip the DVD using an external drive or remote drive and play the DVD from a folder, but you can only hold so many DVD's on 80GB. I can pack as many DVD's as I can fit into a small carrying case, load them in my current laptop whenever I want, wherever I am.

What apple should really do is work with a drive manufacturer the way they worked with Intel and push them to make the thing smaller so they can fit one in the MB-A. I mean, DVD drives are well below $100 at this point. If they were pushed to develop some new form factor for laptops, it might increase the cost by $100 or $200, which many people would probably be willing to pay.

sunfast
Jan 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
This was said on Apple's website on Tuesday. Do we really need someone to write an article about it.

Seems a bit bizarre to have a dedicated article, you're right. Bl*ody awesome feature though. Definitely the first nail in the coffin for optical drives.

timswim78
Jan 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
It seems like a great idea to have a bootable, remote optical drive, and I hope that the technology is transferable to other computers.

pacohaas
Jan 17, 2008, 02:52 PM
Seems a bit bizarre to have a dedicated article, you're right. Bl*ody awesome feature though. Definitely the first nail in the coffin for optical drives.If you bury them all, you won't have that remote optical disc to boot from. You gotta keep optical drives around for quite some time until we're allowed to download digital copies of our music for free by scanning the barcode on our old Albums to verify we own them.

QuarterSwede
Jan 17, 2008, 04:09 PM
You gotta keep optical drives around for quite some time until we're allowed to download digital copies of our music for free by scanning the barcode on our old Albums to verify we own them.
That's a pretty good idea especially since most newer laptops have webcams built in.