Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
So I went to buy an Apple TV yesterday, and couldn't find them in the Apple Store, so I asked a Genius if they had any in stock. I was told that they have some in the back, but they took them off the floor in anticipation of the new ones coming in two weeks, but would sell me one of the old ones if I wanted one, as long as I knew that the new models would be out in two weeks.

This seems odd to me, since the hardware isn't (supposedly) going to updated. I guess I can understand pulling them before the software release so "uninformed" purchasers wouldn't be wondering why they couldn't rent movies yet, I suppose.

I did purchase a 40 GB model though! :)

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
He is correct. There is not new hardware coming, however they are putting new model numbers on them with new packaging. These models will come pre loaded with the new OS already on them. I had not heard of all stores having to do this but I guess each store can do as they please. So technically thee is no new hard ware but they are introducing new models numbers and packaging. You can see a picture of the new packaging at the bottom of this page AppleTV . I have not seen any discounts on the current AppleTVs more than the current price drop.

Kevin :apple:

katieparker

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
I just got mine from the Apple Store online today, and I ordered it a few days ago (after the Take 2 announcement). I was sort of surprised that the packaging wasn't the new packaging displayed on the web site. Are we sure that a hardware update isn't coming? I have a friend that works at the Apple Store here in Washington, and when he found out I was buying one, he sent me a message that said, "better give me a call before you get that tv..."

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
So I ordered from the online store also. However, my Apple TV shipped from China. I won't receive it until the end of next week.

I wonder if it will come with the new packaging and pre-installed Take 2 update?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Even if the functionality is the same, Apple may have modified the hardware. Sometimes it is worth the effort to reduce costs even if no new features are added. It may not matter much for the consumer, but it may fix some little bugs during the second iteration or may introduce other little bugs as well.

Railrider

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
So I ordered from the online store also. However, my Apple TV shipped from China. I won't receive it until the end of next week.

I wonder if it will come with the new packaging and pre-installed Take 2 update?

New guy to the forums here. I ordered my Apple TV from the Apple Store on Wednesday and received it today. It is in the old packaging, so I assume it has the old software on it. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet.

Mr9758

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
I am surprised they didn't atleast bump the ethernet to 10/100/1000, but then again they really are pushing the whole 802.11n thing.

Personally, I don't see the need for faster ethernet as 802.11n works wonderfully. I can stream videos from my external HD (usb) to the Apple TV with less than a few second delay, and transferring gigabytes at a time goes very quickly.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
New guy to the forums here. I ordered my Apple TV from the Apple Store on Wednesday and received it today. It is in the old packaging, so I assume it has the old software on it. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet.

Well, clearly, your Apple TV didn't ship from China. Currently, it's tracking for Thursday—so we'll see if it's the new packaging or not.

Allanf

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
Green Bay, WI
He is correct. There is not new hardware coming, however they are putting new model numbers on them with new packaging. These models will come pre loaded with the new OS already on them. I had not heard of all stores having to do this but I guess each store can do as they please. So technically thee is no new hard ware but they are introducing new models numbers and packaging. You can see a picture of the new packaging at the bottom of this page AppleTV . I have not seen any discounts on the current AppleTVs more than the current price drop.

Kevin :apple:
I ordered Apple TV on Tuesday - received Friday in the new packaging. HDMI cable has not arrived yet so don't have working. Printed Instructions say nothing about YouTube content so I wonder if that was a last minute addition.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Personally, I don't see the need for faster ethernet as 802.11n works wonderfully. I can stream videos from my external HD (usb) to the Apple TV with less than a few second delay, and transferring gigabytes at a time goes very quickly.

excuse my ignorance, but...

you connected a usb external drive to the :apple:tv?

katieparker

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Turns out my friend at the Apple Store was just going to get me a discount.

By the way, I ordered mine Wednesday from the Apple Store and it arrived Friday morning from China (also visiting Alaska and Indiana on the way to Seattle). It has the old packaging, and I'm still waiting on my HDMI cable.

Railrider

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I ordered just after the keynote and got mine (160GB for $329) Friday as well. It shipped with version 1.1 on it (the version that added YouTube support IIRC). It was in the old packaging.

Mr9758

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
excuse my ignorance, but...

you connected a usb external drive to the :apple:tv?

Sorry... should have clarified that. The external HD is connected to my Mac and its content is referenced in iTunes - so it streams from the HD through my mac and to the Apple TV.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Yes, it did ship from China. Then it stopped in Anchorage, AK. Just because I'm new here is no reason to doubt me.]

Sorry about that. I just assumed your unit shipped out from one of Apple's domestic distribution centers—FedEx was really amazing in your case.

You would think they would at least shipped it with the new packaging. Oh well, I guess they can't advertise features on the box that aren't included on the actual included unit yet.

The opening sequence for Apple TV is really nice. I hope it stays with the Take 2 software update.

Welcome to Macrumors.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
so then, hardware wise the new version is basically the same..right? its more the software update that makes it?

I want to pick one up and do the patch to use an external HD to hold content, but if I can get a refurb gen 1 and save cash then I am all for it.

Anyone?

Sambean

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2002
Turns out my friend at the Apple Store was just going to get me a discount.

By the way, I ordered mine Wednesday from the Apple Store and it arrived Friday morning from China (also visiting Alaska and Indiana on the way to Seattle). It has the old packaging, and I'm still waiting on my HDMI cable.

My ATV is to be delivered Monday...I did get my HDMI cable and HDMI switcher (ordered at the same time) yesterday...

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
I ordered a Refurbed on Tuesday

No hardware update. Software only.

I picked up a 40GB refurbed for $199. It arrived on Friday. Has the 1.1 software and came in the old style package from Sacramento.

Works perfectly. I have a 500gb external hard drive on a mini in the back part of the house and I am streaming from multiple itunes libraries in the house.

I have been encoding my DVD's with Handbrake and using H.264 preset for :apple:TV. PQ is excellent.

Really looking forward to the new 2.0 software arriving next week! (or so)

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Hmm mine is coming from China too.....:cool:

When I pre-ordered the new alu wireless keyboard, It shipped from China when they released.

Apple sends a huge order of products to a US based receiving plant and then it is divided up and sent to the actual destination. This could be the new one, or a delayed shipment of the old ones (not thinking they are old). Guess you will have to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.