PDA

View Full Version : AppleTV sharing

ipedro
Jan 17, 2008, 01:28 PM
Now here's a good question...

AppleTV's eco-system model encourages you to own more than one AppleTV. One in your living room, one in your bedroom, one in your basement perhaps.

HD Rentals purchased directly on an AppleTV aren't allowed to sync back to iTunes on your computer.

So let's say you rent a movie in the living room and it's getting late so you decide to go to bed and watch the movie from there instead. Will the AppleTV show up as a "Shared Device" on the other AppleTV in your bedroom?

If not, it's a lapse on Apple's part since they do encourage you to own more than one AppleTv.

Slip
Jan 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
Do they? My take was for it to be used with the 'big flat panel' in the main room.

ipedro
Jan 17, 2008, 01:35 PM
While we wait for a response from somebody who's used :apple:TV take 2 at MacWorld (Kevin, where are you? :rolleyes: ), another related question:

Can you sync your iTunes collection to more than one :apple:TV? I never tried this, but I would assume if you could sync an iTunes collection to more than one iPod, the same should be true for an :apple:TV.

ipedro
Jan 17, 2008, 01:37 PM
Do they? My take was for it to be used with the 'big flat panel' in the main room.

I have a 'big flat panel' in my bedroom also. 52" Aquos in the living room, 42" Aquos in the bedroom. Only one :apple:TV for now.

Slip
Jan 17, 2008, 01:38 PM
Regarding post 3, I think it should be possible
And post 4, lucky guy ;)

ipedro
Jan 17, 2008, 01:49 PM
Regarding post 3, I think it should be possible
And post 4, lucky guy ;)

Thanks but it has little to do with luck. Flat panel tv's are surprisingly affordable these days. $1,800 for the 52" $1,200 for 42". Just last year, I would have barely bought the 52" for the price of both :D

Slip
Jan 17, 2008, 01:51 PM
The wonders of competition ey :rolleyes:

ipedro
Jan 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
Too bad Apple doesn't have much competition with their stylish cinema displays. I want to get a 30" but I'm not paying what Apple wants for it. I do like the aluminum enclosure since everything on my desk is that colour. Oh well... let's wait for a new Cinema Display announcement...

...now where's Kevin? lol Back on topic: Do :apple:TV's stream amongst eachother showing as shared devices?

(just occurred to me how cool that would be if your neighbor had an AppleTV and you can stream their content to your TV :) )

Slip
Jan 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Too bad Apple doesn't have much competition with their stylish cinema displays. I want to get a 30" but I'm not paying what Apple wants for it. I do like the aluminum enclosure since everything on my desk is that colour. Oh well... let's wait for a new Cinema Display announcement...

...now where's Kevin? lol Back on topic: Do :apple:TV's stream amongst eachother showing as shared devices?

(just occurred to me how cool that would be if your neighbor had an AppleTV and you can stream their content to your TV :) )

It sure is expensive, although it is aimed as a pro product
And on the matter of the neighborhood of ATV's, I'm sure the RIAA would love that :rolleyes:

imlucid
Jan 17, 2008, 02:35 PM
Now here's a good question...

AppleTV's eco-system model encourages you to own more than one AppleTV. One in your living room, one in your bedroom, one in your basement perhaps.

HD Rentals purchased directly on an AppleTV aren't allowed to sync back to iTunes on your computer.

So let's say you rent a movie in the living room and it's getting late so you decide to go to bed and watch the movie from there instead. Will the AppleTV show up as a "Shared Device" on the other AppleTV in your bedroom?

If not, it's a lapse on Apple's part since they do encourage you to own more than one AppleTv.

If you rent a movie on ATV, it will stay on that particular device. There is no sharing between devices.

If you acquire the content via iTunes then you can transfer it between them.

Kevin

(Sorry I took so long, I was working at home this morning waiting for my new Kitchen TV to arrive and then had to drive into work).

:D

Slip
Jan 17, 2008, 05:25 PM
If you rent a movie on ATV, it will stay on that particular device. There is no sharing between devices.

If you acquire the content via iTunes then you can transfer it between them.

Kevin

(Sorry I took so long, I was working at home this morning waiting for my new Kitchen TV to arrive and then had to drive into work).

:D

What it must be like to be revered ;)

And when I'm older, Im gunna have your job. Software engineer ftw :)
What projects are you working on atm?

imlucid
Jan 17, 2008, 05:48 PM
What it must be like to be revered ;)

And when I'm older, Im gunna have your job. Software engineer ftw :)
What projects are you working on atm?

I'm working on a very high profile project that everyone seems to be abuzz about here...

;)

Kevin

ipedro
Jan 17, 2008, 09:03 PM
^ :apple:TV ? ;)

If that's so, then let the :apple:TV team know that they missed the ability to share content between :apple:TV's.

musicpenguy
Jan 18, 2008, 05:47 PM
Pretty sure - won't know until it ships but you most certainly will be able to send Apple TV rental to iTunes then from iTunes onto the other Apple TV.

imlucid
Jan 18, 2008, 07:07 PM
Pretty sure - won't know until it ships but you most certainly will be able to send Apple TV rental to iTunes then from iTunes onto the other Apple TV.

No. If you rent on Apple TV, it stays there. If you rent in iTunes, you can move it around.

Kevin

Alfie
Jan 21, 2008, 10:19 PM
Can you sync your iTunes collection to more than one :apple:TV? I never tried this, but I would assume if you could sync an iTunes collection to more than one iPod, the same should be true for an :apple:TV.

I'm just bought my 2nd apple tv last week, so I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to this question, but I don't think you can sync two different apple tv's from one iTunes library. I actually tried it. I was able to sync both my apple tv's, but when I made a change to the iTunes content, the 1st apple tv synced, but the 2nd totally dropped all it's content. After that, I left the one synced and just set the other to stream instead. I wanted to sync both so I wouldn't have to leave iTunes open all the time for the streaming, but oh, well, I guess I'll survive.

If I'm wrong on this, feel free to let me know.

Alfie

OldSkoolNJ
Jan 22, 2008, 12:15 AM
I'm just bought my 2nd apple tv last week, so I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to this question, but I don't think you can sync two different apple tv's from one iTunes library. I actually tried it. I was able to sync both my apple tv's, but when I made a change to the iTunes content, the 1st apple tv synced, but the 2nd totally dropped all it's content. After that, I left the one synced and just set the other to stream instead. I wanted to sync both so I wouldn't have to leave iTunes open all the time for the streaming, but oh, well, I guess I'll survive.

If I'm wrong on this, feel free to let me know.

Alfie

You are 100% correct. We are running 2 :apple:TVs and while we are on the topic 4 ipods and 1 iPhone all from the same iTunes collection. It works seamlessly. For example our new aquisition of Blue Harvest not only resides on our iPhone, Video iPod but also our two Apple TVs. So no probelm there.

Kevin :apple:

ipedro
Jan 22, 2008, 06:39 AM
You are 100% correct. We are running 2 :apple:TVs and while we are on the topic 4 ipods and 1 iPhone all from the same iTunes collection. It works seamlessly. For example our new aquisition of Blue Harvest not only resides on our iPhone, Video iPod but also our two Apple TVs. So no probelm there.

Kevin :apple:

You said that he's 100% correct. However, he says he can't keep 2 :apple:TV's in sync and you say that it all works seamlessly.

I hope you're right, I plan on getting a second :apple:TV and I'd like to keep them all in sync.

imlucid
Jan 22, 2008, 11:19 AM
You said that he's 100% correct. However, he says he can't keep 2 :apple:TV's in sync and you say that it all works seamlessly.

I hope you're right, I plan on getting a second :apple:TV and I'd like to keep them all in sync.

Yes, you can sync up to 5 Apple TVs from any one iTunes library. However, you can only sync to 1 iTunes library from any one ATV.

You can however stream content from up to 5 iTunes libraries along side that one syncing library.

Kevin