Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you actually buy the apps?

• Yeah, I bought them.

Votes: 174 59.2%
  • No Way!

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • Why pay when you can jailbreak?

Votes: 48 16.3%
  • I may eventually...

Votes: 48 16.3%

• Total voters

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I've said, since I got my iPod touch, that I'd happily pay a few bucks a piece for each of the iPhone apps. Needless to say, I ponied up the $20.

Mail and Google Maps have already paid for themselves.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I bought my ITouch on the day of the announcement. I initially paid the $20-, but Apple is going to credit the cost back to me.

I have been reading the forums and I can't believe how worked up some people have gotten over $20. I can only imagine how worked up these people get over a real problem. :eek:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, I love the fact that I can have the iPhone features while still being legit and plus, now I don't have to fuss with jailbreaking anymore and constantly waiting after a new update to find out if I have to re-jailbreak. Jailbreaking was fun while it lasted but, I'm perfectly happy now with the iPhone apps... the iPod touch is still a very useful tool. The only Apps I used weren't much of a benifit... Sketches (fun but, not necessary), Chat (crashed all the time, plus I've got meebo, FlickIM and JiveTalk), Terminal (not needed unless I'm hacking... which I'm not), WifiToggle (It was handy but, I can live without it), SSH (again, not needed since I'm not hacking) and Apache Webserver (I actually kinda miss this since I used to be able to have offline PDFs I could read) but that's about it.. so the only thing I really miss from the jailbreak days are Apache but, whatever... good things will come in Februrary for sure.

I bought my ITouch on the day of the announcement. I initially paid the $20-, but Apple is going to credit the cost back to me.

I have been reading the forums and I can't believe how worked up some people have gotten over $20. I can only imagine how worked up these people get over a real problem. :eek:

It's cheaper than buying a brand new iPod with it built in.

fimac

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
Finland
I paid, and I'm loving the new apps :) What really excites me is the potential that the iTouch has. I can't wait for the SDK to be ready!

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I paid, and I've noticed that the apps are MUCH better than the jailbroken ones, particularly the Mail and Maps apps. Plus the extra features such as re-arranging apps without going into Customize, creating icons for Websites, lyrics, etc. are all very nice as well and (to my knowledge) not available when you jailbreak your iPod touch.

Well worth $20.

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
As I said in another post I bought my Touch on January 1 and Apple is giving me a credit for the apps.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I bought mine online about 2 hours after the Keynote ended. So I guess technically I paid for the apps because I paid the full $299.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
i paid. Got charged three times, but I paid. The applications added are something else!

iTunes are refunding £26 of my charge. Thankfully. (Thanks Morgana at Apple Support!)

Two words: SDK, February.

R-Fly

gothiquegirrl

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Planet Earth
Just wondering what you guys did - whether you bought em or whatever...

Well I just bought a 16GB touch today ( with no apps ) and I plan on spending the cash to update. :D

The biggest thing that kept me from buying before was the lack of mail and notes. I plan on using my touch more as a pda.. and to surf the net / check email around the house without having to lug around my brick of a laptop. (read: my very own ultra-portable :p )

I already have a perfectly nice 5th gen for music...

Jailbreaking just always seems like too much work! :eek:

Ang

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006

heck you should search back for when the announced the 8021N enabler its the same thing all over again i paid and now i can check all of my email accounts before i couldn't check yahoo that was worth it right there google was nice but unfortunately i don't have any free wifi spots near me but i guess it will be nice when I'm out on vacation some where.

KFCTR

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
I'll just wait until hackers find a way to update for free, so I'll jailbreak when I get my touch tommorow.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I still have a 1.1.1 jailbroken touch. Which I just bought a couple weeks ago, but I'm leaning heavily towards going 1.1.3 and just buying the apps for 20 bucks. especially with the sdk coming in february, where jailbreaking might end up being useless anyway.

br1anc

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
i think its great. the ability to move your icons and put web clips on your home page is pretty cool. the mail is probably the best though. the notes are good but i think that they should've come with the Touch originaly. the maps are pretty cool also. i played with that for like an hour when i updated it. i dont really care for the stocks much but it is a cool feature if you own stocks. the weather is also a nice addition.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
i also am gonna mention as i have a thread about it you can now redeem itunes gift cards on the go. another really nice feature thats on the itunes wifi store

thsismyusername

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Why?

Why Buy The Apps When You can have one person share the 10kb file? i mean it works.. all you have to do is open the file. and it automatically installs.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
i bought it today. i had a $15 iTunes gift card, so what the hell.

the update took a while. my connection to the store kept failing. server must be busy as hell. the apps seem pretty cool, but i wonder where i'll use them. i don't seem to be around any free hotspots ever (except in my house, where i'll just use my desktop PC)

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
i just can't buy it... i've had these apps for months on the jailbroken ipod t - if i wanted the locate me button so bad maybe, but i don't so i'll stay at 1.1.1 until something crazy comes out... SDK SDK SDK SDK :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.