PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2008, 04:19 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Problems with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080117171956)
Description:: Non Stop Mac reader Bud points out a very insidious error with Microsoft Word 2008 that has been making his installation on a 4GB MacBook Pro with OS X 10.5.1 pretty useless. He said: "Word 2008 crashes on me if I resize the main window from its' (narrow) default, then restart. Have to delete the pref file to get it to open normally again."

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

david foster
Jan 17, 2008, 05:19 PM
Microsoft lists a number of issues with the Office 2008 that was shipped within the help file. Some of them are fairly significant.

WORD:

Bitmap images cannot be dragged into a Word document from the Finder

Cannot copy and paste objects between Office 2004 and Office 2008

Cannot copy and paste objects into an Adobe Illustrator window

Citations within footnotes do not update automatically

Documents might appear to be lost or damaged when you save to a Remote Home Folder

Documents that contain a WMF or EMF graphic cannot be saved as a Web page

Equations saved from Word 2007 for Windows do not appear in Word 2008 for Mac

Images in a Word document might not appear when the document is inserted into Excel

Images might align incorrectly in HTML output or e-mail attachments

Japanese text in a document saved from Word 2007 for Windows might appear as boxes in Word 2008 for Mac

Ligatures created in Word 2008 for Mac do not appear in Word 2007 for Windows

Office documents might not display correctly when saved to an NFS network location

Shapes and other objects might print incorrectly in older versions of Mac OS X

Some charts do not convert to the new chart format if you save a document in an XML-based file format

Soft shadows might convert to hard shadows in documents saved from Word 2007 for Windows

The thumbnail for the Day Care Flyer is incorrect

Word cannot print documents based on the Theatrical Poster template

Excel:

Black-and-white printer settings do not apply to some objects

Office documents might not display correctly when saved to an NFS network location

Paper size is not saved in XML-based workbooks

Sheets that contain rotated text might not display correctly when you delete a column

Some objects created in Office 2008 for Mac cannot be edited in Office for Windows

Some objects created in Office 2008 for Mac might not display correctly when opened in Office for Windows

PowerPoint:

Animated GIF files

Compatibility with Mac OSX v10.5 (Leopard)

Presentations that contain iTunes files

Slide show performance

Some objects created in Office 2008 for Mac cannot be edited in Office for Windows

Some objects created in Office 2008 for Mac might not display correctly when opened in Office for Windows

Two instances of the same presentation opened in different versions of PowerPoint on the same computer

Two instances of the same presentation opened on an SMB server by two users

Entourage:

Animated GIF files

Compatibility with Mac OSX v10.5 (Leopard)

Presentations that contain iTunes files

Slide show performance

Two instances of the same presentation opened in different versions of PowerPoint on the same computer

Two instances of the same presentation opened on an SMB server by two users
---------------------------------
Finally I uncovered one more issue while posting this 'hint', the Help window can become unresponsive or just disappear all together while trying to clip out known issues!

However, I couldn't
reproduce your issue (crash after resize/restart). Try this operation with a new or clean guest user account; it may be due to other third party software.

leduc
Jan 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
how about not being able to sync entourage with your blackberry...all that money...all those brains...and what do they care about...pretty crap that 90% of users will never use...and they ignore a bread & butter issue for all biz users...what a bunch of head in the clouds dummies

Genghis Khan
Jan 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
...and it's slowing down my computer already, i swear

sitting still it's using 1.22GB of virtual memory and 200MB of active memory

plus it still takes ages to start up

forgive me if i sound like a spoiled brat, but with C2D 2.13GHz and 4GB RAM, i expect near instant word processor start up

i had high hopes for the new office for mac, but it's a real let-down

i'm seriously thinking of uninstalling

winmacguy
Jan 17, 2008, 09:16 PM
That sounds like a recipe for a craptacular success, personally I just use iWork08.

Caris
Jan 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah iWork is far better than office anyways IMO.

Domofloge
Jan 18, 2008, 12:38 AM
WOW this definately sucks hearing how buggy Office '08 is considering I already ordered the upgrade. Guess ill get my $10 bucks back. haha.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 18, 2008, 12:45 AM
Yeah iWork is far better than office anyways IMO.

yes when it comes to the bussiness world iWork can not cut it. Unless it can work perfectly all the time with MS word then it is not going to fly. Word is the standard in the bussiness world like it or not.

that being said M$ needs to get those bugs work out pretty quickly because it is breaking ithe rules it set with office 08 that being it does not play nice with office 07 and before.

Now I personally like office 07 and think it was a much needed improvement over office 03. I have not played with office 08 yet but I giong to assume its set up is a lot like 07. If the bugs get worked out it will be a great program.

Warbrain
Jan 24, 2008, 10:13 AM
I know that I could never get Word 2008 to spellcheck a document and it would always crash after I finished.

alanmcase
Jan 24, 2008, 05:46 PM
I get this annoying dialog box every time I open an Office 2008 application. The rest of the dialog box tells me how to use the Microsoft Database Utility to fix my Office database. Only one problem with all of this: I do not have an Office database, so of course the utility cannot find one to fix. This is nagging the crap out of me. Someone please tell me how to make it go away?

Oh yeah, I'm running 10.5.1 on a MBPro 2.16G C2D with a 320G HD.

Thanks,
Alan

iAthena
Jan 24, 2008, 10:36 PM
Sometimes I wonder whether Microsoft even has people test their products before they are released. Many of the bugs listed should have never made it out of the test group. :mad:

wetrix
Jan 26, 2008, 03:19 AM
I'm unable to open word 08 at all. It just sends and error report, restarts and goes back to the error report screen. Deleting the pref file doesn't fix it either. It concerns me that Microsoft have not released a single update after 10 days of the program being unusable. This is a serious issue for me because my university has upgraded to Office 2007 so I need 08 to make an attempt at using documents between them. Somebody please fix this!

Dittim
Jan 28, 2008, 07:22 AM
how about not being able to sync entourage with your blackberry...all that money...all those brains...and what do they care about...pretty crap that 90% of users will never use...and they ignore a bread & butter issue for all biz users...what a bunch of head in the clouds dummies

Simply unbelievable... I realize that M$ only cares about one thing, but they have really shot themselves in the foot on this one. With blackberry users being the largest business group and the increase in Leopard users, it seems unconscionable to remove this functionality.

I am baffled and judging from the other posts here, am no longer looking forward to receiving my BFD copy. I will have no choice but to look at iWork.

What a waist.

Mugwumper
Jan 28, 2008, 05:25 PM
Hi -

Perhaps I'm not as much of a heavy user as some of you, but so
far, everything I've done works fine in Office 2008. Granted, I don't
use Entourage (I use Missing Sync for my Palm TX), and there are
a few items in Dennis Foster's post that will probably impact me.
But in general, this install was painless for me. (BTW, it would not
allow me to register the product, saying the Product ID was invalid!
Turns out it was/is a problem with the site - a 'phone call got me
through the registration with no issues.)

Today, I've been able to open 1-5 year old documents (ppt, xls, doc),
and it's as fast as Office 2004 was (a few seconds to open a file). I
have some StarOffice files that will not open - need to figure out why
(I'm guessing I'll have to "import" or filter them in some way). And
I need to run a compatibility test with some local PC buddies - I do
have some files that definitely look different on Mac vs. PC.

Otherwise, no show stoppers . . . (I'm on a G5 iMac and running
10.5.1)

DaveSM
Jan 28, 2008, 09:17 PM
I simply can't beleive what I get when I openned a document with word 2008. I'm an engineering student so formulas are part of an usual report. Not only all the formulas are messed up but a few pictures shows completely distorted and pixelized results. I'll have to install office 2003 in bootcamp to be able to work... All these bugs listed shouldn't have passed any alpha tests.

leduc
Jan 29, 2008, 08:46 AM
i got around the blackberry sync by syncing entourage to address book & ical, and then syncing the mac aps to to bb. worked ok until entourage sync service went nuts...completely deleted contents of address book & ical, got beach balls spinning & fan running full time. deleting & reinstalling office 2008 led to same situation...solution...uninstall 2008 & reinstall 2004...everything works perfectly...btw - i have an intel macbook...2 GHz core 2 duo...2 GB ram...leopard 10.5.1...did an archive & install update...no other issues...

Mugwumper
Jan 29, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi -

Perhaps I'm not as much of a heavy user as some of you, but so
far, everything I've done works fine in Office 2008. Granted, I don't
use Entourage (I use Missing Sync for my Palm TX), and there are
a few items in Dennis Foster's post that will probably impact me.
But in general, this install was painless for me. (BTW, it would not
allow me to register the product, saying the Product ID was invalid!
Turns out it was/is a problem with the site - a 'phone call got me
through the registration with no issues.)

Today, I've been able to open 1-5 year old documents (ppt, xls, doc),
and it's as fast as Office 2004 was (a few seconds to open a file). I
have some StarOffice files that will not open - need to figure out why
(I'm guessing I'll have to "import" or filter them in some way). And
I need to run a compatibility test with some local PC buddies - I do
have some files that definitely look different on Mac vs. PC.

Otherwise, no show stoppers . . . (I'm on a G5 iMac and running
10.5.1)

Today is indeed another day - now I'm having problems:

1. No way to open ODF files (.odt, .ods, .odp) - error message is
"the file is corrupt and cannot be opened". M$ Tech Support tried to
open the file (which opens just fine in NeoOffice), but can't.

Is there an ODF converter plugin for Office 2008? Looks like "Plan B"
is to open file in Neo, save as Word .doc, then open in Word 2008.

2. A .doc file from a PC opens, but Word 2008 corrupts some of the
letters (e.g., "Business" became "Nusiness", regardless of how many times
I correct it, or what key I type).

3. Complains that Word 6 compatibility mode is on, when in fact it's
set for Word 97/2000/XP.

So - back to Office 2004, I think. Hope I can have both 2004 and 2008
installed at the same time . . .

kbonnel
Feb 7, 2008, 08:12 AM
I know that I could never get Word 2008 to spellcheck a document and it would always crash after I finished.

I have the same issue!!!

Kimo

Michaelis
Feb 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
I just bough the full office 2008 package and I just wish I hadn't.

Among others:

I am trying to open .ppt and .pps files that were originally created on a PC (office 2003), but they always come up messed up on the powerpoint 2008, despite having all the necessary fonts.

Also, whenever I try to open password protected powerpoint PC 2003 files, it just pops up a window announcing that the file is DRM protected and I should try and open one that is not! Although I know the password, it won't even give the chance to use it.

Did anyone else encounter this ?

Bay
Jun 3, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi,
Just downloaded Microsoft Office 2008 + the update... I cannot always open documents (for example on the desktop). If for example I had Word running, and then went to the desktop to double click something open, it is non responsive - nothing opens!

The only way I can get things to open is by going to file.. open.. and locating the doc

Is this happening to anyone else? Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Bay

PS. I have had HUGE problems with this new Office crashing and I would not advise anyone to buy it, even when its running for more than 5 mins without crashing, the features are not good enough. :mad:

Icepik
Jun 3, 2008, 10:31 AM
The only issue I've had was it shutting down randomly without any notification of an error. It works fine on my blackbook, but has issues on the girlfriends.

Other than that the random crashes it seems to work fine:)

arogge
Jun 3, 2008, 02:11 PM
A .doc file from a PC opens, but Word 2008 corrupts some of the letters (e.g., "Business" became "Nusiness", regardless of how many times I correct it, or what key I type).

Maybe "nusiness" is a new kind of business methodology.

I got a set of Microsoft Word files this week. Two of them had garbage text at the top and bottom of the document, and one of them was unreadable. The unreadable document contained this text:

{
A * B 2t 2 M;C14m42d 7 s7 s1 Ced;*G3*H1 h4t 1oSeP3e*P57 jP4ed d 5 T7AS6eL;*S11s;j 5o67 R 1 m2t eW
}

It's funny when the same people who would tell me to "just buy Microsoft Office" now demand that I save my files as Microsoft Office 2000 or older formats because they can't read the latest version of the proprietary formats. "That's what we use" is the reply if I suggest paying more money for the new version, and they still refuse to switch away from Microsoft Office.

Mugwumper
Jun 4, 2008, 01:06 AM
Maybe "nusiness" is a new kind of business methodology.

I got a set of Microsoft Word files this week. Two of them had garbage text at the top and bottom of the document, and one of them was unreadable. The unreadable document contained this text:

{
A * B 2t 2 M;C14m42d 7 s7 s1 Ced;*G3*H1 h4t 1oSeP3e*P57 jP4ed d 5 T7AS6eL;*S11s;j 5o67 R 1 m2t eW
}

It's funny when the same people who would tell me to "just buy Microsoft Office" now demand that I save my files as Microsoft Office 2000 or older formats because they can't read the latest version of the proprietary formats. "That's what we use" is the reply if I suggest paying more money for the new version, and they still refuse to switch away from Microsoft Office.

Sorry I haven't updated the group on my recent "trials and tribulations",
but I have learned a few things:

1. The 12.1.0 SP1 used to crash my system until I a) got rid of my
copy of Office 2004 and b) deleted the files called "Office 2004 Identities"
and "Office 2008 Identities" that are in /Users/(home)/Documents/
Microsoft User Data. I then reinstalled Office 2008 and the 12.1.0 SP1,
and everything works fine. There still seems to be some intermittent
issues with Spaces under 10.5.3, but it's a lot better than Office 2008
was in 10.5.2 . . .

2. If you "Save As" a file in "Word 97-2004 Document (.doc)", you should
have no problems with other PC Office users reading and writing the file.
I have had success with Windows 2000 through XP, and varying versions of
Word.

And I've also confirmed this in my daughter's new MacBook . . . I've sent
her files to her work PC, and she has sent me the same file modified back
to my G5 iMac, with no problems, and she has done the same to and from
her MacBook.

I think ".docx" is "not ready for prime time" if for no other reason than I
think PC people don't have this on their systems yet.

By the by, I used to have regular success using NeoOffice sending .doc, .xls,
and .ppt files to and from my Sun Solaris system at work from my iMac
from home over a VPN connection, and then to and from PCs of various
flavors all over the world. On the Sun side was StarOffice.

Hope this helps . . .

DREN
Jun 5, 2008, 06:48 AM
Hi,

I have office 2008 and its been nothing but problems since I've had it. it will crash when it feels like it. Its like being back on a pc instead of the rock solid performance of a mac. I've gone back to office 2004, but to be honest scrap all office programs and use iworks. Office 2008 is a nightmare to use and its worth nothing more than taking the disk and throwing into the sky and shooting it with a 12g. Stick to mac applications there solid and Iworks is a fraction of the price and iworks will do what office will do without the typical pc headaches of crashing and getting infected by the pc mystery super bugs. Basically office is what you leave in the washroom most mornings and then wipe!!!!!! DON'T WAIST YOUR MONEY OR TIME WITH IT.

jbermel
Jun 18, 2008, 04:32 PM
I have a file sent to me that was created in Office 2007 when I try to view it in Office 2008 only the formatting on a inserted table in powerpoint is changed. It looks small and blurry any thoughts?

taxfree
Aug 12, 2008, 12:29 PM
Problem!!! I just converted to Mac and love it but have noticed a compatibility issue with Word 2008. Almost every PC Word document that I have transferred to Mac has managed to open and is usable in Word 2008 - for me. However, some documents (without images only text) will open and are usable by me but are incapable of opening when I send them to someone else. The icon that appears shows a large A with XXXX at the bottom. Does any one know how to correct this?

Much appreciated.

DREN
Aug 13, 2008, 12:10 AM
Problem!!! I just converted to Mac and love it but have noticed a compatibility issue with Word 2008. Almost every PC Word document that I have transferred to Mac has managed to open and is usable in Word 2008 - for me. However, some documents (without images only text) will open and are usable by me but are incapable of opening when I send them to someone else. The icon that appears shows a large A with XXXX at the bottom. Does any one know how to correct this?

Much appreciated.

Hi,

Sorry to tell you this but 2008 is a seriously corrupt piece of software. My advice to you is to use 2004. I've had 2008 and had nothing but problems like everyone else has. I went back to 2004 and all is well.

Its worth telling you here that you should have pages on your mac. Your mac has everything on it that word does. Also you can send pages and anyone can open it. Pages is mac's word doc. It will open any word doc sent to you as well. Personally I have gone over to pages. Its rock solid and works just like word.

But seriously get rid of 2008, you most likly will get other errors coming your way soon, and you can fix the problem and it will return, trust me I had 2008. Nothing but ******

Hope this helps

Mugwumper
Aug 14, 2008, 12:10 AM

Much appreciated.

Hi -

I actually disagree with DREN - I've had both 2004 and 2008, and the
only problems were caused by having both on my iMac at the same
time. Once I removed 2004, 2008 has worked fine. And yes, I send and
receive files to and from PCs all the time.

Some things to try:

1. Have you applied all of the Office 2008 updates that are available?
2. Are you saving files in the 2008 format (.docx)? If so, you should
"Save As" in the older ".doc" format (Word 97 - 2004 Document).
3. When you e-mail these files, do you you check the box "Send Windows-friendly Attachments"? (this is if you use Mail.app)

To be more clear, I have had problems with compatibility with older
Windows systems. But XP and Vista are fine.

And if you really want to try something totally different, get NeoOffice
(it's free) - this is a Mac version of Sun's StarOffice suite. I've never
had any problems sending or receiving PC files with Neo.

Of course, I'm assuming you're totally up to date on all the Mac OS X
side - 10.5.4 plus the security updates?

Let us know if any of these work, or if you're still having problems.

Good luck!

Steve

SnowLeopard2008
Aug 14, 2008, 01:20 AM
Don't use Office, it's very slow. Use textedit or something and just save as a word doc. But that icon is very weird. I've used Office for mac (2004 and 2008) and i never ever got the icon of which you described. Anyway, follow the above guy's post, it's very thorough. good luck!

Kilamite
Aug 14, 2008, 03:13 AM
They really need to sort out the speed issues. It is so sluggish. I can boot into Windows using Parallel's Desktop and run Office 2007 and it is very quick, and that is running Windows in virtualization mode!

MacAdv
Aug 24, 2008, 11:20 AM
I am a partner in a grant writing business, and send Word documents back and forth with one of my partners who lives out of state. She uses a PC, and I use a PowerBook running OS X v10.5.4. We have never had problems opening and editing each other's files until I started using Office for Mac 2008. Now if I highlight a section of a document that I want her to edit she can edit it but not remove the highlight. The same thing happens when she sends a document to me that she has highlighted. We had to send the last grant application we completed back and forth several times before we had removed all of the highlights and were ready to print it for the client. (I also tried sending the document to my office computer and could not remove the highlights. It appears that highlights can only be removed on the computer they were inserted on - which does not make sense). We are saving the documents in doc format, not docx. I would appreciate any suggestions to help correct this problem.

adedu
Aug 24, 2008, 07:19 PM
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.nonstopmac.com Port 80

DREN
Aug 25, 2008, 12:06 PM
I am a partner in a grant writing business, and send Word documents back and forth with one of my partners who lives out of state. She uses a PC, and I use a PowerBook running OS X v10.5.4. We have never had problems opening and editing each other's files until I started using Office for Mac 2008. Now if I highlight a section of a document that I want her to edit she can edit it but not remove the highlight. The same thing happens when she sends a document to me that she has highlighted. We had to send the last grant application we completed back and forth several times before we had removed all of the highlights and were ready to print it for the client. (I also tried sending the document to my office computer and could not remove the highlights. It appears that highlights can only be removed on the computer they were inserted on - which does not make sense). We are saving the documents in doc format, not docx. I would appreciate any suggestions to help correct this problem.

Hi,

Well i will stick to my guns despite comments about I have office 2008 wrong, and its this. 2008 IS RUBBISH, go back to 2004 and you will have no problems. Alternatively use pages, its Mac's version of word and it will open word doc's and so can other people on a pc if you send it to them.

As for the highlighting and it remaining try this it has worked for me until i went back to 2004, but I use pages mainly these days as its rock solid. You mention you save it as a word doc and not docx. That's fine but try changing it in another way. For argument sake lets say you have saved it as a word doc in A4. When you send it to your partner get them to save it as US letter, then do there editing etc. I've found that by saving it like this also alters the file size. I had a word doc at 16.5mb in A4, I then saved it as US letter and it turned it into 256kb and got rid of highlighting problems.

Hope it helps, but I would either get 2004 or use pages which is on your Mac. I use both, but either are good. You could also mention to your partner about up grading to a real computer such as a mac and getting rid of the antiquated pc.

FIRAD
Sep 24, 2008, 10:14 AM
Has anyone else had any problems with Excel 2008 running in the most recent OS X upgrade? I have found that basic charting functions are repeatedly crashing my Excel and this didn't happen (or at least seem to happen) prior to my OS upgrade. The most mundane commands (e.g. setting a new data range or entering a title for a graph) will immediately crash the software.

BenEndeem
Sep 24, 2008, 10:39 AM
That sounds like a recipe for a craptacular success, personally I just use iWork08.

Agreed, I've used it for a while now with no problems so far.

Microsoft Office is enough trouble on Windows, so I've never trusted it on my MacBook. Office 2001 (I think) runs okay on my iMac G4 though.

sra. Aguirre
Sep 24, 2008, 11:39 AM
yes when it comes to the bussiness world iWork can not cut it. Unless it can work perfectly all the time with MS word then it is not going to fly. Word is the standard in the bussiness world like it or not.

I agree, but that it is the standard doesn't mean we should just accept the bugs it comes with...maybe businesses running Windows should be able to run iWorks....

............anyone???

adhamija
Sep 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
Whenever I open a brand new notebook layout, I find that the spacing between the text is inconsistent with the spacing of the lines. For instance,

---------------------- (lines of notebook)
------anish----------------
----------------------
------------dhamija----------

As you can see, the text is in the line rather than on the line. And when I press enter, it doesnt just go to the next line, but rather skips that line.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Anish

umbilical
Oct 23, 2008, 11:32 AM
why not use iwork, and stop to waste your money and time? pages is simple and better that ms office!

senhorvanini
Dec 21, 2008, 06:52 AM
Well, i've downloaded Office 2008 by P2P, but it's a italian version.
There is some way to change the language of the programs to english or portuguese?

:apple: power mac g4, 400 mhz, still alive!

Kilamite
Dec 21, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well, i've downloaded Office 2008 by P2P, but it's a italian version.
There is some way to change the language of the programs to english or portuguese?

:apple: power mac g4, 400 mhz, still alive!

We don't help with pirated software.

How stupid are you to post on a forum saying that?!

senhorvanini
Dec 22, 2008, 07:27 AM
We don't help with pirated software.

How stupid are you to post on a forum saying that?!

sorry boy, but i really have no money to buy a expensive family programs like this. i live in brazil and we have a different reality.
you can't judge what you don't know.

look at my computer... i have a old power pc g4, 400 mhz... if i've had money i'll buy a beautiful alluminum mac book, like you... and of course, i'll buy the "office 2008" and i will be bill gates richer than he is.
whatever i have to work, probably like you or more than you...

but ok... thanks, with or without your help

Killyp
Dec 22, 2008, 07:39 AM
I think Kilamite was a little OTT, but a forum can't be seen to support pirating software - websites are being shut down left right and centre because of it.

Sdahe
Dec 22, 2008, 01:58 PM
How can I FULLY uninstall Office 2008 from my Mac?... I want it all out!!!

After I used the uninstall tool.. I still have a folder in documents that says... Microsoft User Data.. should I delete that folder too?

G-Force
Dec 22, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yes, you should. Otherwise a monster will kill a kitten... ;)

Rewes
Feb 11, 2009, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah. Office 2008 has so many bugs that it's getting funny. I can't believe what they were thinking when they released this piece of crap...

BEEEsH
Feb 15, 2009, 10:40 AM
Todays date is Sunday February 15th 2009.

This thread originated sometime last year.

Has Microsoft updated their software at all? I just bought a macbook and really need word, but I'm not going to shell out over $100 if the program has horrible reliability. Its a damn word processor.

Kilamite
Feb 15, 2009, 10:42 AM
Has Microsoft updated their software at all? I just bought a macbook and really need word, but I'm not going to shell out over $100 if the program has horrible reliability. Its a damn word processor.

Ah it isn't that bad..

They've released quite a few patches and generally it is ok.

I use Word everyday and don't have any major problems with it, and much prefer the original Word layout on 2008 than the bloated and useless layout of Word 2007 (PC).

Montymitch
Feb 16, 2009, 05:31 PM
I'm using a newly installed Word 2008, and It works fine, but it is slow. What the hell? I just don't get how a word processor can run slow on my machine.

ceezy3000
Feb 16, 2009, 05:34 PM
ive tried microsoft office for mac 2001, 2004 and 2008 , all crappy, 2008 best tho, ive tried neo office and openoffice, both suck, ive tried IBM lotus symphony, pretty good actually lliked it, but the best of all ive tied is iwork 09, keep it real

nadyne
Feb 17, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'm using a newly installed Word 2008, and It works fine, but it is slow. What the hell? I just don't get how a word processor can run slow on my machine.

Make sure that you update Word to the latest and greatest version (currently 12.1.5). We've made a lot of updates that improve performance. You can check your current version by going to the Word menu and selecting About Word. If it doesn't say that it's version 12.1.5, then go to the Help menu, then select Check for Updates.

Some users report that changing the font menu has improved their performance, too. This is most likely to help you out if you're on a slow Mac or if you've got a LOT of fonts. To do this, go to Word's Preferences. Click on the General option, then uncheck the box next to "WYSIWYG font and style menus". Click OK. When you look at the font menu now, you'll only see a list of the fonts; you won't see what that font looks like.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Sims2freak4
Feb 28, 2009, 08:37 AM
I have a different problem. Yeah, um I tryed going on sims this morning and when I clicked it, all it said was The Sims 2 requires at least 1 MB of free disk space. Free up some space on your local disk and then re-launch the Sims 2. I don't know HOW to do that! I just want to play sims! Please help me!!! :confused:

Very much appreciated

nadyne
Feb 28, 2009, 01:02 PM
You're very very low on disk space. Your Sims (which I love too! :) aren't the only things that's going to be impacted. You need to resolve this problem or you won't be able to save any files to your computer.

Start off by emptying your trash. Click on the Finder. From the Finder menu, select "Empty Trash". It might take a minute if you haven't emptied your trash before.

After you've done that, you should check how much space you have remaining on your hard drive. To do that, control-click (or right-click, if you've got a two-button mouse) on the hard drive icon on your desktop. Select "Get Info" from the menu. Under the "General" area, look for "Capacity" and "Available". "Capacity" is how much disk space in total you have, "Available" tells you how much is unused. I make sure that I never have less than 1 GB available.

If you have less than that available after you've emptied your trash, then you're going to need to clean up your hard drive. It's time to delete some stuff, or burn a CD-R with stuff that you don't need to have living on your computer all the time.

I'm going to guess that you're pretty new to Macs. You might want to spend some time at the Apple Store with a Genius and ask them for some advice on the best way to deal with this. :)

arogge
Mar 2, 2009, 04:20 AM
I tryed going on sims this morning and when I clicked it, all it said was The Sims 2 requires at least 1 MB of free disk space. Free up some space on your local disk and then re-launch the Sims 2.

Are you sure that the error wasn't about needing 1 GB of space? That's what a lot of software seems to want nowadays. I'm surprised that you are able to run OS X with less than 1 MB of free space. When I only have about 50 MB remaining, OS X starts crashing. The problem is that its caching is inefficient. If you really have less than 1 GB remaining, and the software isn't displaying an erroneous error message, you should remove some unnecessary applications and delete their associated Library files, and then delete unused cache files and move old files to removable media. If you don't know how to do this software maintenance, it's time to stop wasting your time with Sims and start reading some computer books.

I often find that OS X looses approximately 2 GB of cached files upon a reboot, but that cache is from old processing tasks that should've been flushed immediately. I really should check my manuals for how to flush the OS X cache from the command line. I've just been too busy doing work with the computer to remember how to hack it. :o I've also found more than a few GB of wasted space in a QuickTime cache directory, files that were a few years old.

I've noticed that some applications run slower with every new release, and yet they are doing the same tasks as before the update was installed. Software developers should learn that hard drive space and RAM capacity are not unlimited, and that applications must share system resources. If your application requires a Core Duo CPU, 2 GB of RAM, a graphics card with 256 MB of memory, and gobs of hard drive space just to install and start, while another software package can do the same tasks with a G4 CPU, 8 MB of graphics memory, 256 MB of RAM, and 1 GB of hard drive space for the disc cache, there's probably something wrong with your application.

mathwonk
Jul 23, 2010, 01:50 PM
My microsoft 2008 program will not open any of my hundreds of documents written with word 5.1 without going through a lengthy process involving "Open" in the file menu, and sometimes not even then. Hence my body of work, thousands of pages, over the past 20 years is partly inaccessible, and even what is accessible is not conveniently so. Microsoft "technical support", the free one, said they were not trained to solve this and invited me to pay for a more highly trained person to tell me the same thing I presume. I am not inclined to pay them to hear they have implemented a flaw in their program. Any suggestions? Can the "security" feature preventing 2008 from opening old files be turned off? thank you.