PDA

View Full Version : The Other (Bigger) Market for the MacBook Air

MacRumors
Jan 17, 2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As a follow up to the 3g Deal Breaker article (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/16/lack-of-3g-a-deal-breaker-no-not-talking-about-iphone/), I thought I'd write some additional thoughts about the MacBook Air, and some reconsideration of my initial reaction.

Traditionally, the "sub-notebook" class of machine has tended to be marketed at the power-user, so that's how many of the media approached the MacBook Air... but that may have been the wrong way to look at it. In speaking to Xavier of Notebooks.com (http://www.notebooks.com), he mentioned (and later wrote about (http://www.notebooks.com/2008/01/16/i-love-my-wife-cause-shes-forcing-me-to-buy-a-macbook-air/)) how that the MacBook Air instantly appealed to his wife, who is normally less than thrilled at the prospect of Xavier getting new hardware:
I didn’t bother to consider my wife’s point of view on the MacBook Air until I got her Facebook status update (“…secretly hopes Xavier gets the MacBook Air."). But then I started thinking about how this new Mac will appeal to women. It’s slim enough to throw in a purse, is stylish and has very few cords, which creates clutter.
There's certainly a class of users who simply don't care about 3G, don't care about hooking up more than one USB peripheral to their MacBook. So, I'll concede that the many bloggers may not be the intended audience for the MacBook Air, and it could very well see wide consumer appeal.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/17/the-other-bigger-market-for-the-macbook-air/)

devilot
Jan 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
*sheepish*

:o

I hate being the stereotype... but I know I'm really tempted by the MBA. And it's not just the "lighter and more comfy in a purse" argument. I genuinely have been lusting after a MB style KB but backlit, love the magnetic latch, and yes, overall, would use a portable that much more if it were actually portable (as in, weighed less).

Argh. I should stop reading MR. Just gonna get me to lust after the darned thing more.

King-Louie
Jan 17, 2008, 05:27 PM
If the MBA really was aimed for a demographic of people who don't need all that stuff, why make it so expensive?

Dustman
Jan 17, 2008, 05:32 PM
It is a sexy computer. Only one usb port though? Surely they could have fit just one more.

IEatApples
Jan 17, 2008, 05:33 PM
It's actually not "that" expensive in the base configuration… (if you're a girl that doesn't care about the specs that is)! ;)

Masquerade
Jan 17, 2008, 05:35 PM
If the MBA really was aimed for a demographic of people who don't need all that stuff, why make it so expensive?

brilliant. notebooks.com ummm... :eek:

Claytoniss
Jan 17, 2008, 05:39 PM
Well I guess I am a chic now... Of course I care about tech, blah blah. But I think that apple is just setting the tone in their apple attitude. "You don't need 4 usb 2 firewire, DVD superextreme burner! you don't need wires"

I think this is paving the way to more of a wireless world of products. Importing pics, backing up, etc..

i would so rock the mba and be proud of it.

I just need 3k :rolleyes:

jsnyd05
Jan 17, 2008, 05:43 PM
I agree, but I think that the price is too expensive for what it is.
The specs are lower than a Macbook and there is no way anyone could use that as his/her only machine.
However, I like the computer a lot and I really would've bought one had it been cheaper.

devilot
Jan 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
If the MBA really was aimed for a demographic of people who don't need all that stuff, why make it so expensive? Engineering/ design. Just because there are fewer ports or fewer gigs of storage, doesn't mean the machine is lesser. Nor does it mean it was cheaper to design or manufacture. There is always a premium for some aspect-- in this case, lightweight, slimness, portability.

Example: Lotus Elise, it's quite bare. Quite stripped down. The motor is decent. It's not as pricey as say, a Ferrari, but it's considered pricey and a great performer despite being "only a 4-banger." Why is that? It's super light. And the power to weight ratio is superb! The handling is fantastic! Why pay a premium for a short, tiny, car that has no real luxurious features? For a different sort of ride. For a different kind of performance.

(if you're a girl that don't care about the specs that is)! ;)Right, because women are incapable of knowing or caring about specs, right?

running
Jan 17, 2008, 05:52 PM
WOW!!!

Two of my friends, independently, told me, that their wives told them they would love to buy Air. This is gonna be a hit.

And btw, we are really living in a sad age, if man see his wife's needs only through facebook...

Bob Knob
Jan 17, 2008, 05:55 PM
I agree, but I think that the price is too expensive for what it is.
The specs are lower than a Macbook and there is no way anyone could use that as his/her only machine.
However, I like the computer a lot and I really would've bought one had it been cheaper.

The overwhelming majority of computer users (especially notebook users) don't do any CPU intensive tasks. The MBA specs are more than ample and will be for years to come.

Engineering/ design. Just because there are fewer ports or fewer gigs of storage, doesn't mean the machine is lesser. Nor does it mean it was cheaper to design or manufacture. There is always a premium for some aspect-- in this case, lightweight, slimness, portability.

Example: Lotus Elise, it's quite bare. Quite stripped down. The motor is decent. It's not as pricey as say, a Ferrari, but it's considered pricey and a great performer despite being "only a 4-banger." Why is that? It's super light. And the power to weight ratio is superb! The handling is fantastic! Why pay a premium for a short, tiny, car that has no real luxurious features? For a different sort of ride. For a different kind of performance.

Right, because women are incapable of knowing or caring about specs, right?

WOW, a Lotus Elise reference in a Mac forum... I think I'm in love with you, want to get married???

IEatApples
Jan 17, 2008, 06:08 PM
Right, because women are incapable of knowing or caring about specs, right?No no, you get me wrong! :( I'm not criticising women! I'm just saying that there's a large group of women (and there's of course also some men) that don't really care that much about specs, but they do care about the portability & "look" of the machine, and "they" won't necessarily see the MacBook air as "that" expensive. :)

… sorry devilot, didn't mean to offend! :( Peace! :)

roland.g
Jan 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
It is a sexy computer. Only one usb port though? Surely they could have fit just one more.

Maybe but it really is meant to be a 2nd machine, a true notebook in the sense of being just what you need to travel with and travel light. The desktop at home is your main machine or if you really need 15" or 17" size and power, then you do what people have done all along, carry the larger and slightly heavier machines. I think this machine really fits a perfect niche. Small, light, does what you need, surfing, writing, photos, etc, w/o the cumbersome aspects that a heaver machine brings.

As far as the port, get a pocket usb hub, those things are tiny, really my wife has one the size of a compact and it is 5 yrs old. I'm sure there are some pretty sleek ones out there. Better yet get one of those usb keypads that have two ports on them. Then you get a keypad and a couple ports. How much do you really need to hook up to this, especially at one time..

devilot
Jan 17, 2008, 06:14 PM
The overwhelming majority of computer users (especially notebook users) don't do any CPU intensive tasks. The MBA specs are more than ample and will be for years to come. Yup. You know, that silly internet browsing stuff, really takes its toll. ;)

WOW, a Lotus Elise reference in a Mac forum... I think I'm in love with you, want to get married??? That depends... what sort of setup would I get? And after six months? :p

... that don't really care that much about specs, but they do care about the portability & "look" of the machine, and "they" won't necessarily see the MacBook air as "that" expensive. :)Ah, I misinterpreted your post. To be fair, weight is a spec-- just not as related to hardcore performance of the machine itself, no? But weight is a factor and for some, that matters more than whether or not a 3D rendered computer game will play w/ enough FPS.

Let's be honest here, nobody thinks this machine is cheap. But it's not meant to be-- and for the compact little package it is-- it just can't be all that cheap right now. Yes, in a little while, the flash storage will be cheaper. It wasn't that long ago that a 1GB USB thumb drive was considered outrageous and overpriced, and now? Manufacturers are giving them out for free after MIR! :D

hayduke
Jan 17, 2008, 06:21 PM
I generally agree. People just don't understand the product yet. I think it is spec'd out very well and will appeal because of its reasonable power and simplicity. There isn't a lot to fuss about with this machine. It is simple, powerful enough, light, stylish, and compact. If you want "more" then you need a more full featured machine...look elsewhere.

This thing will fly off the shelves once there are more in the wild.

IEatApples
Jan 17, 2008, 06:23 PM
True, weight IS a spec… one that Steve apparently is focusing a lot on! ;)

I'm still waiting for an update to the iMac myself… just want a better graphics card… (I game) ;)

And I'm not sure the air is a "girlie" machine, but I think it's gonna be bought by a lot more women then men! :p ;)

I wish the MacBook would get a BTO option for a decent graphics card… maybe if they use the "air" processors they'll be able to fit one? :)

dborja
Jan 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
I also think the article is onto something. My wife was hooked when she played with it and practiced carrying it yesterday at the Macworld Expo. The look and feel of the casing sealed the deal. She normally doesn't get passionate about computers but now we're both wishing our trees' bloom this spring will include 4 crisp $1000 bills (or 40 $100s)...

Agree with "roland.g" that it's really meant to be a second computer to the desktop at home. This is already true in my case: I have an iMac where I do real work and an iBook that allows me to do lighter stuff that I need to do away from the iMac - email, Web surfing, Quicken, Turbotax, some Word/Excel/Powerpoint where the MBA specs are quite sufficient... The "virtual local drive" solution in lieu of buying an external CD/DVD drive is brilliant!

Just my $0.02

Bob Knob
Jan 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
Yup. You know, that silly internet browsing stuff, really takes its toll. ;)

That depends... what sort of setup would I get? And after six months? :p

How about I give you a MBA with SSD instead of your wedding ring, and you give me the Lotus instead of my ring? :D
After six months we divide up the wedding gifts and split up... but I have dibs on the Xserve if someone gives us one.

greendragon
Jan 17, 2008, 06:30 PM
i wonder how it will run photo shop?

thebassoonist
Jan 17, 2008, 06:34 PM
It's actually not "that" expensive in the base configuration… (if you're a girl that don't care about the specs that is)! ;)

What about a man that don't care about grammar? What would he think?

blashphemy
Jan 17, 2008, 06:37 PM
I dunno... the target spectrum for the MBA was definitely not women - don't think that women cared about the Sony TZ series before the MBA nor do I think that women would care that much about things like battery life, as SJ espoused so much during the keynote (thinking stereotypically, you would leave home, go to Starbucks, plug it in, go to the office, plug it in, etc, and not usually use it for the battery as you would on a plane or something) - it would be more about the weight, good looks, and not having to give up performance (I may be wrong, but I'm not female so excuse me and don't kill me please XD)

Given that though... it's possible SJ has an insta-hit on his hands once this gets shipped out. It's not like they have that many of them to make anyways, cause they're not even BTO - all the possible hardware configs are:

1) 1.6 GHz HDD
2) 1.8 GHz HDD
1) 1.6 GHZ SSD
2) 1.8 GHz SSD

,not including keyboard languages, so Apple can potentially just roll them off the lines and churn them out faster to meet demand. Oh well, sucks for SJ that MWSF is in January because if this is really going to be a hit with a lot of women I know that a ton of guys would have gotten their SO's this as a gift.

swingerofbirch
Jan 17, 2008, 06:58 PM
Granted women make up 51% of the population, but I don't think it's financially viable to make laptops that appeal to them. I don't have any figures, but just in being out and about, I very rarely see women using computers. I see men at Starbucks every day on laptops, but I don't know that I've ever seen a woman. Hopefully SOMEBODY likes the MBA or it'll go the way of the Cube: precious but expensive.

d.f
Jan 17, 2008, 07:03 PM
but haven't seen one in the flesh, so you never know...

however, considering it's being heavily sold on it's supposed beauty in addition to practicality, am surprised there is not a black (or more discrete colour) option. they recognise the value in the MacBook range. they even charge a premium, presumably as they know it's desirable enough.

it's the slimmest laptop in the world. why not colour it in it's most slimming of choice? hang on, what am i thinking.....rev2 obviously......

LethalWolfe
Jan 17, 2008, 07:11 PM
Granted women make up 51% of the population, but I don't think it's financially viable to make laptops that appeal to them. I don't have any figures, but just in being out and about, I very rarely see women using computers. I see men at Starbucks every day on laptops, but I don't know that I've ever seen a woman. Hopefully SOMEBODY likes the MBA or it'll go the way of the Cube: precious but expensive.
I guess my anecdotal evidence cancels your anecdotal evidence 'cause I see women, at places like Starbucks, using laptops all the time.

I'm not a chic, but down the road I might end up w/an MBA (or MBA Rev.B) 'cause it's pretty close to the ideal laptop for my needs. I have a desktop for heavy lifting and I'm looking for light computer usage on the road. I've actually been debating if an iPhone would meet my simple mobile needs instead of getting a laptop, but the MBA seems to meet those two in the middle.

Lethal

Brisman
Jan 17, 2008, 07:12 PM
I was initially disappointed that the footprint wasn't a bit smaller - more like the Sony sub-note book footprint, however I am looking for a light computer I can take with me anyware that will complement my Mac Pro (photoshop, etc)....... MBA appears to fit the bill,... it looks pricey if you don't put value on size and weight (or lack of).

Drumjim85
Jan 17, 2008, 07:25 PM
my girlfriend instantly wanted one after seeing it... she was really really drawn to it... (and she doesn't give a crap about electronics, needless to say i was proud of her ;))

BrianMojo
Jan 17, 2008, 07:26 PM
If anyone thinks this computer doesn't have broad appeal, you're really missing the point. This is a combination of the 1st gen iMac and 1st gen iPod turned into the laptop realm.

Think about it: Apple had a hit with the iPod, a device that cost loads more than any of the other devices on the market in the same niche. But it was implemented in a sexy way with minimal clutter or complication. The iMac dropped the floppy drive in favor of simplicity and this is doing the same for the optical drive, for not only simplicity but for weight and therefore convenience. Anyone who has an iPod doesn't need to put in CDs all the time and Apple's really hoping if you're watching movies on it you're downloading from them. There's no need for it for the "average" consumer anymore.

And that's EXACTLY the target demographic: the image-conscious consumer who is looking for a simple device, but for whom money is not a consideration on a luxury product such as this. If many women fall into this demographic as well, then that's good for Apple, but I hardly think it was designed with women in mind. That seems more than a bit condescending.

Telp
Jan 17, 2008, 07:31 PM
And btw, we are really living in a sad age, if man see his wife's needs only through facebook...

WELL SHE WANTED IT TO BE A SECRET!!! :D:D:D

LethalWolfe
Jan 17, 2008, 07:32 PM
If anyone thinks this computer doesn't have broad appeal, you're really missing the point. This is a combination of the 1st gen iMac and 1st gen iPod turned into the laptop realm.

Think about it: Apple had a hit with the iPod, a device that cost loads more than any of the other devices on the market in the same niche. But it was implemented in a sexy way with minimal clutter or complication. The iMac dropped the floppy drive in favor of simplicity and this is doing the same for the optical drive, for not only simplicity but for weight and therefore convenience. Anyone who has an iPod doesn't need to put in CDs all the time and Apple's really hoping if you're watching movies on it you're downloading from them. There's no need for it for the "average" consumer anymore.

And that's EXACTLY the target demographic: the image-conscious consumer who is looking for a simple device, but for whom money is not a consideration on a luxury product such as this. If many women fall into this demographic as well, then that's good for Apple, but I hardly think it was designed with women in mind. That seems more than a bit condescending.

I'd made a similar post on another forum. I think the MBA is the first step in the "next generation" of computing where have an iMac, Mac Pro, or PC "home base" computer and then a small, light "satellite" computer that travels around w/them. Hopefully though it follows in the footsteps of the iMac and not the Newton.:D

Lethal

devilot
Jan 17, 2008, 07:43 PM
I was initially disappointed that the footprint wasn't a bit smaller...Agreed. Hell, I thought the 12" PB could have had a smaller footprint. :o

That seems more than a bit condescending.Thank you. :)

Orng
Jan 17, 2008, 07:45 PM
And btw, we are really living in a sad age, if man see his wife's needs only through facebook...WELL SHE WANTED IT TO BE A SECRET!!! :D:D:D
Yes, well... this year over the holidays, after reading about my wife's cousin's... ahem... substance experimentation all year, we secretly swapped out the fortune in his fortune cookie with one that simply read "Facebook is Not Private!!" :D Hey, it was for the greater good, my Mother-In-Law was about to go into smile-shock trying to pretend that she didn't know about certain things... (she's on FB too, we didn't tell her)

For the ladies, a selection from the comments on Seth Weintraub's Macworld Round-up (http://blogs.computerworld.com/macworld_roundup_the_good_and_the_bad) (Yee-haw, a roundup!)

AIR DUO
Submitted by John on January 16, 2008 - 8:50 A.M.
I think this laptop is for Ladies. ... I think it is nice design. But nothing for Boys: No ethernet, No FW, No internal "floppy", little screen, HDD is a joke ..... &cetera ....

I think...
Submitted by Kev Orng on January 16, 2008 - 10:28 A.M.
I think most of the computer-using ladies I know would happily snap a MacBook Air over your head for suggesting that ladies use dainty computers while men want real computers.
In fact, my wife, who works in IT, thinks that would be the ideal use for a MacBook Air
Reply | Report this comment

So yeah, that pretty much sums up my wife's opinion of the MBA. But she's a power-user, she'll look at specs before cosmetics.

freebooter
Jan 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
Probably right about the ladies MBA. Light, expensive, kind of useless, but stylish 'til the cows come home. Like a pair of designer shoes. They can check their hair in the glossy screen, too. Should of come in colors, though. Do they still make, what's it called, oh Sex in the City? If so, the main character will have one asap.

chevitron
Jan 17, 2008, 07:55 PM
I must agree. My GF was asking for a new MBP at work (we both work together) because it's powerful (mostly for Photoshop and Office) and we travel a lot, but when she saw the new MBA, she instantly changed her mind and wanted one!!!! No need to say that I also want one. So this machine will sell very well...

I got a MB a few months ago for home, and I'm already considering selling it to get a MBA...

Zoboomafoo
Jan 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
i wonder how it will run photo shop?

why can't apple design a lightweight rendering station for all those times i feel like designing 3d animated shorts on a plane? no maya, no sale!

Virgil-TB2
Jan 17, 2008, 08:04 PM
Granted women make up 51% of the population, but I don't think it's financially viable to make laptops that appeal to them. I don't have any figures, but just in being out and about, I very rarely see women using computers. I see men at Starbucks every day on laptops, but I don't know that I've ever seen a woman. Hopefully SOMEBODY likes the MBA or it'll go the way of the Cube: precious but expensive.WTF? :confused: "Women don't use computers?"

Who are you, ... the corpse of Thomas Edison?

I'm a guy, but even *I* want to smack you for that comment.

IMO the reason this computer might appeal to a female demographic is likely because it's a simple, and well-designed tool for computing with a minimum of fuss. When you compare that to the typical overpowered, geeked-out, over-accessorised "road warrior" laptop with all the slots, flaps and extra batteries that you don't really need, it seems to me like the "chick" point of view is actually more rational.

BrianMojo
Jan 17, 2008, 08:09 PM
WTF? :confused: "Women don't use computers?"

Hear, hear, and the same for me. There's a lot of sexist ************ being thrown around in this thread. Women do no inherently want a pretty toy of a computer, just like it's stereotypical and insulting to say that all women spend all their money on shoes or something equally insipid. If everyone could stop insinuating that women are somehow lesser computer users, that'd be great.

Max Xinzou
Jan 17, 2008, 08:10 PM
$1,800. is a chunk of change, so we all are entitled to have some expectations. My personal feelings are that perhaps the naked emperor Steve and his dongle toting minions have become overly focused on the thin thing. The networks have indeed been running quite a lot of lowest common denominator programming on people losing weight and looking thin. Lost in the myopia was any possibility to tailor this take along for our own purposes. Express card slot=3g modem, fire wire card, whatever, etc. Why is the footprint about the same as a 15" MBP? Insanely Steve, I'm totally with you on the optical drive, battery, somewhat reduced processor and graphics, but your pricing says professional and your features, size, expandability scream Amateur. Should I really just consider this thing a first gen. trial for the fat wallets and adopters of the mode? Or, has Apple mania extended to the point of horseshoes and hand grenades? Just get it close and they'll buy! My darling, I've always expected much more.

LethalWolfe
Jan 17, 2008, 08:15 PM
$1,800. is a chunk of change, so we all are entitled to have some expectations. My personal feelings are that perhaps the naked emperor Steve and his dongle toting minions have become overly focused on the thin thing. The networks have indeed been running quite a lot of lowest common denominator programming on people losing weight and looking thin. Lost in the myopia was any possibility to tailor this take along for our own purposes. Express card slot=3g modem, fire wire card, whatever, etc. Why is the footprint about the same as a 15" MBP? Insanely Steve, I'm totally with you on the optical drive, battery, somewhat reduced processor and graphics, but your pricing says professional and your features, size, expandability scream Amateur. Should I really just consider this thing a first gen. trial for the fat wallets and adopters of the mode? Or, has Apple mania extended to the point of horseshoes and hand grenades? Just get it close and they'll buy! My darling, I've always expected much more.
The same thing was said about the iPod, and about the iPhone (costs too much, does too little) yet both those products seem to be doing fine now. Will the MBA follow the same path? Who knows, but Apple has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes.

Lethal

Virgil-TB2
Jan 17, 2008, 08:18 PM
It is a sexy computer. Only one usb port though? Surely they could have fit just one more.I haven't seen it said yet, but IMO the single USB port is trying to send a message about mice.

A lot of people when they use a laptop, attach a mouse if they can. It's possible to go it alone with the trackpad, but mice are still very popular and another thing you have to carry with you. Personally, I have always hated the trackpad for it's inaccuracy and general "un-handiness." And the worst part about using trackpads are things like selecting the scrollbar in a window, re-sizing images, grabbing vector handles etc.

The multi-touch trackpad addresses and solves exactly those aspects of the trackpad. Scrolling, zooming, and re-sizing are now easier than with a mouse. It's the first time that you seriously, *really* don't need a mouse IMO.

The single USB port on the Air is telling us "you only need one because it won't be filled up with a mouse all the time." You also won't need to carry a mouse in your bag.

freebooter
Jan 17, 2008, 08:26 PM
It will have a lot appeal to a lot woman-ish men, too. :D (ha ha just pulling the old feminist leg, as it were...really...oh, don't pout)

ChiltonWebb
Jan 17, 2008, 08:32 PM
My wife will be in line for one of those Airs, too.

As for me, I couldn't care less. I wanted (and obviously still want) a tablet Mac. I don't care if it's a 12 lb. brick of a machine. As long as I can draw on it with a stylus, I'm sold.

ModBook's lookin' pretty sweet right now...

-Chilton

jamesarm97
Jan 17, 2008, 08:36 PM
The single USB port on the Air is telling us "you only need one because it won't be filled up with a mouse all the time." You also won't need to carry a mouse in your bag.

I use a mouse with my macbook pro at work all the time and it doesn't take a USB port. That is what bluetooth is for. Who wants another cord anyways.

- James

ilflyya
Jan 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
I know for a fact that my father hates his business style notebook, it's slow, it hasn't any battery stamina, and he hates lugging it around on flights to meetings each week. He'd love to get another notebook, but this is the only one approved by his company, as it is company issued. Maybe apple and corporations need to work better together for issues like this? The MB Air seems to solve a lot of the issues my father has with his notebook.

My mother on the other hand, has very little experience with computers, but once I got a MB, she took notice. When I offered to install a desk top on the desk at her home, she said flat out "No" because a big lumbering CPU and monitor would look terrible. I know a mac mini wouldn't look bad at all and I wouldn't have to cut holes for wires so I could hide a CPU in a drawer, but this MB Air would solve all of that! Mom doesn't need peripherals, and I know a regular MB could do the job as well, but something this thin could look like art! She'd impress all of her girlfriends, who then would demand their husbands get them on as well.

swingerofbirch
Jan 17, 2008, 09:10 PM
WTF? :confused: "Women don't use computers?"

IMO the reason this computer might appeal to a female demographic is likely because it's a simple, and well-designed tool for computing with a minimum of fuss. When you compare that to the typical overpowered, geeked-out, over-accessorised "road warrior" laptop with all the slots, flaps and extra batteries that you don't really need, it seems to me like the "chick" point of view is actually more rational.

I'm not sure whom you're quoting. I didn't say "women don't use computers." It was a quote that came out of the blue. What I said was the opposite of sexist: that computers should NOT specifically be designed for women. And beyond that, I said that I don't see many women using computers. That's not sexist. If it were sexist, I would have to somehow imply that using a computer is virtuous and not using one is a vice.

IEatApples
Jan 17, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hmm… not sure what you mean? If I've misspelled something then I'm sorry… but I'm from Norway you see! ;):D

gwangung
Jan 17, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure whom you're quoting. I didn't say "women don't use computers." It was a quote that came out of the blue. What I said was the opposite of sexist: that computers should NOT specifically be designed for women. And beyond that, I said that I don't see many women using computers. That's not sexist.

Just horribly unobservant, methinks.

Orng
Jan 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=IEatApples;4782157]It's actually not "that" expensive in the base configuration… (if you're a girl that don't care about the specs that is)! ;)

Hmm… not sure what you mean? If I've misspelled something then I'm sorry… but I'm from Norway you see! ;):D

Sometimes people forget that not everybody on the internet is a native English speaker. Best to let it go. :)

What you wanted to say was "if you're a girl that doesn't care about the specs"; "doesn't" being short for "does not." "Don't" is short for "do not"

Girls do not care, a girl does not care.

Don't worry about it, when I try to conjugate verbs in French I sound like a two year old.
I haven't tried Norwegian, but I can order lunch in 17 languages.

incoherent1
Jan 17, 2008, 10:19 PM
I have to agree on his point. I've talked to friends who are young [particularly female] professionals (23-30), and they've mentioned that they want a MBA (without me even bringing it up).

In many ways I think this is the iPhone effect; taking what was previously a very limited, "power user" device (in that case smartphones) for business users and making those features accessible enough to appeal to everyone.

dashiel
Jan 17, 2008, 10:20 PM
it is amazingly funny how people who are nerdy enough to post messages and blogs about technology are so myopic they can't see there are entirely different demographics out there.

in my family/extended family there are six mac users

wife, mum, dad, sister-in-law, father-in-law and myself

my mum, myself and my father-in-law there's no way the air will work. it's not even an option. nowhere near powerful enough, not enough connections. my sister-in-law is a student and can't blow $1700 on a laptop

however

my dad travels a lot, hates computers, hates wires, hates lugging around a ton of stuff. the air is so perfect for him i'd be surprised if he hasn't already ordered one.

my wife is another; she takes her computer back and forth to work. the printers are wireless, the network is wireless. i'll upgrade he from the macbook later this year.

even i would think about one if my business travels picked up again. dragging around even the macbook is a pain when you travel 3-4 times a month.

tony-in-japan
Jan 17, 2008, 10:43 PM
Personally, I was disappointed with the MBA because I was so hoping for a replacement to my aging 12" Powerbook. What was Apple thinking? Who was this MBA designed for? It certainly wasn’t me.... “boo hoo.” :(

After a few days now and reading a score of disappointed opinions, it kinda makes sense. Look, if you first saw it and thought one of the following:

• ‘Mmmm, what are the specs? I will have a look on the Apple website.’
...then it’s NOT FOR YOU.

• ‘Where is the optical drive!? How am I suppose to play DVDs or burn CDs?’

• ‘Gasp! How am I suppose to replace the battery!?’

• ‘Urrggh! How am I suppose to upgrade the memory!?’

• ‘Glossy screen!? Where is the matte option? How can I design looking at this thing?’

• ‘How will Final Cut Studio perform with this processor?’

I’ve realised, it is neither really for students, mac fans or professionals. If you are a student, it would be wiser to get a Macbook because that is the range that offers the best ‘value’. If you are a professional, that is what the ‘pro’ range is for. As for ‘mac-fans’ you would be clued up with the latest technology and understand instantly that it is not really a ‘defining and cutting-edge’ product, and most likely give it a miss.

The Macbook Air is simply a LIFESTYLE product.

It is for the same market who would look at a ‘Bang olufsen’ and think, ‘wow, that’s stylish... I want one!’; For those who are simply not interested in the specs, connectivity or even price. It is an ‘intuitive’ choice -- hence, probably, why so many females would like one at first sight (e.g. my wife was really interested in the advert and wanted to see one straight away) Males, generally, are more power and technically orientated of the human species.

I think Apple designed this specifically for travelling business executives/seniors (light/portable with minimal specs) and the lifestyle conscious (stylish and wireless). For those with high-finances who are willing to pay for style, convenience and would potentially spend lots on the iTunes store -- especially now they have a deal to rent movies from all the major movie heavyweights. Plus, the design of the MBA is funneled for the owner to inevitably spend lots on wireless peripherals it needs since it only has one USB: remote control, airport express or time capsule, wireless might mouse, etc.

So, if you happen to have a business executive wife! It would be an ideal ‘Valentine’s day present’ for her ...gift-wrapped with a few-hundred dollars worth of iTunes vouchers would be perfect I think. (I am sure that would make Mr Jobs extremely happy).

As for the rest of us. There is still a void in the pro range: a 12" or 13" Macbook Pro. I am starting to wonder if this will ever be filled. Come on Apple, where is that sub-notebook that packs a punch? A massive market is waiting for this!

iJawn108
Jan 17, 2008, 10:56 PM
Mmm Lotus elise...

Ohh yeah hmm I don't remember what this post is about. Anyone who complains about applecare should never purchase a lotus. lol they have the worst customer service ever.

iToaster
Jan 17, 2008, 11:16 PM
It's really tempting to buy a MBA. I must say that if I had $3000 I'd sell my MBP, buy a Mac Pro and a MBA and use back to my mac to access any files I needed. I'm saving up now...

MP for the HD editing, MBA for the portability. If only...

MattInOz
Jan 17, 2008, 11:41 PM
Probably right about the ladies MBA. Light, expensive, kind of useless, but stylish 'til the cows come home. Like a pair of designer shoes. They can check their hair in the glossy screen, too. Should of come in colors, though. Do they still make, what's it called, oh Sex in the City? If so, the main character will have one asap.

The movie is in production.
I'd bet steve organised some sort of prototype for filming.

I don't think it's a chick computer.
It is a computer that will appeal to women and may have influenced the design.

Electronic products that set out to target in the past have fallen flat on their face by being patronising (even the ones by all women design teams).

The MBA seems to have some very clean design goals, namely it a light computer that goes anyway and is used mainly it environment supported by a network/computer.

It would just as well to say the HR department of a large corp. who would spend the majority of their day around the campus. It could as easily be seen as and play to get macs out of graphics and into other departments.

lord patton
Jan 17, 2008, 11:46 PM
What I said was the opposite of sexist: that computers should NOT specifically be designed for women.

I'd say that IS sexist: refusing to take their needs or desires into consideration, just because they're women. OF COURSE, they could be disproportionately attracted to a product. That's proof right there that manufacturers should take notice.

If Apple has any smart executives, one of them spent a little time pondering the question, "I wonder how women will see this?"

Anyway, on topic. I could view the MBA's January '08 release as marking territory for a product that will mature and become much more desirable in the near future, as did the :apple:TV.

In 2009, this puppy should be $300-600 cheaper in the base config, have options for 128 GB storage and 4 GB memory, and faster processors and busses. That gets closer to acceptable for a lot of people.

Yeah, everyone sees something missing (how could they not have Firewire!), but Apple may just be reinventing a whole class of computers, as they did with the mp3 player industry.

MacTheSpoon
Jan 17, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm really tempted to buy one, too. And if a lot of women are buying them, so much the better, and good for them, they've got great taste. Hopefully I'll have tons of hot chicks coming up to me in coffee shops and asking me about the cool laptop I'm using. :)

Like others in this thread, what I really wanted though was something like the 12" Powerbook, I sure do miss mine. If they had released the MBA in the same width/depth as the PB 12"... I don't think I'd think twice, even if it still lacked an optical drive and firewire.

As it is, I will think long and hard, it's the closest in portability to the PB 12" so far. In fact it's 1.5 lbs lighter... probably has significantly better battery life... if only they had shaved off another couple inches from the width... argh, so frustrating! But I might get this thing, hang onto my MBP for more processor-intensive tasks, and keep my fingers crossed for a 3.5 lb 12" XGA MBP... or even 13.3" WXGA, if they shave the sides down to keyboard-width...

uNext
Jan 18, 2008, 12:14 AM
All of you go out and buy the macbook air spend 1800+ while my pockets just breeze on through this alpha stage financial crisis we will be experiencing.
And while you beta test and help apple perfect it at your cost for having the title of owning the worlds thinnest laptop. I will be ready for gen2 that will not only be better then the current offering but cheaper as well with added features you will be wishing your laptop had but cant afford because you will still be paying for it lol.

Gotta love beta testers...they make decisions that much easier the second time around

Is amazing how hard some people will try to justify buying an overpriced piece of s..t.
No matter how you look at it is not a good buy and all over the internet forums and media seem to think likewise.

But hey if you have the money go for it...just dont be mad when the spinning beach ball is a permanent addition to your viewing.

LethalWolfe
Jan 18, 2008, 12:42 AM
I will be ready for gen2 that will not only be better then the current offering but cheaper as well with added features you will be wishing your laptop had but cant afford because you will still be paying for it lol.
And the people waiting for gen3 will be laughing at you and so on and so forth. I'm not big on first gen products, but I'm not going to knock early adopters 'cause if it wasn't for early adopters (like the people who spent $400 on a 5gig iPod when everyone thought Apple just laid the biggest egg since the Cube) there would no second, third, or fourth gen products.

Lethal

bigandy
Jan 18, 2008, 12:42 AM

Because if they'd put two on, you'd have complained, saying "Surely they could have fitted just one more port in", in a never ending circle, until it gains 1kg, and another cm depth with the additional 47 USB ports you've demanded.

Claytoniss
Jan 18, 2008, 01:08 AM
why can't apple design a lightweight rendering station for all those times i feel like designing 3d animated shorts on a plane? no maya, no sale!

Ever heard of a sketch pad?

Vinnie_vw
Jan 18, 2008, 03:14 AM
I'm pretty surprised that no one made the connection between this and the Avon lady hired by Apple a few weeks ago… http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/07/andrea-jung-joins-apples-board-of-directors/

sushi
Jan 18, 2008, 03:20 AM
And the people waiting for gen3 will be laughing at you and so on and so forth. I'm not big on first gen products, but I'm not going to knock early adopters 'cause if it wasn't for early adopters (like the people who spent $400 on a 5gig iPod when everyone thought Apple just laid the biggest egg since the Cube) there would no second, third, or fourth gen products.
Well said. Early adapters are what create and move markets.

With the MBA, I am trying to decide between it and a MBP. Part of why I am not motivated to get either right away is that my PB15 still keeps working like a champ -- plus I still use Classic.

BTW, I was one of those who purchased the original 5GB iPod. It was for our daughter. Never regretted that purchase.

IEatApples
Jan 18, 2008, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=IEatApples;4783661]What you wanted to say was "if you're a girl that doesn't care about the specs"; "doesn't" being short for "does not." "Don't" is short for "do not"

Girls do not care, a girl does not care.Ah… but of course! :o Thank you! :)

bigwig
Jan 18, 2008, 08:13 AM
Oh well, sucks for SJ that MWSF is in January because if this is really going to be a hit with a lot of women I know that a ton of guys would have gotten their SO's this as a gift.
I believe Valentine's Day is coming up...

MacBookAirUser
Jan 18, 2008, 08:21 AM
WOW!!!

Actually, with respect, isn't it great that in the age of Facebook, we can now learn what our wives think? Before, we usually had no clue!

:)

Actually, my wife had no problem with me ordering my MBA, which was a first! Thanks Apple for that!

meagain
Jan 18, 2008, 08:40 AM
Devilot - I hear ya! As a female, I run into situations constantly where it's automatically assumed instantly I know nothing of tech. Same with audio (I'm into high-end audio - sound quality super-important to me), tried to buy something off Audiogon and was almost refused the sale because they couldn't believe I was a female and the seller was suspicious. A New Years Eve a guy whipped out an HTC to demo it to another. As I approached to get in on it, I was told "oh, we're having a tech discussion" and totally ignored my presence. I shoulda whipped out my hacked iPhone but I didn't want to crush his dreams.
We're not all created equal guys....

That said - I want an MBA BADDDDDD!

numbsafari
Jan 18, 2008, 08:47 AM

Because, as a demographic, technologically inclined women have some serious purchasing power.

Also: because it has a TON of radically innovative tech inside.

I'm really surprised by the number of people complaining about the cost.

If you seriously compare it to the competition, factor things like a fully custom CPU from Intel (not cheap considering the low production volumes--there are none of the typical economies of scale here) plus the custom chipsets to go with it and you have an expensive piece of hardware.

At first, I'll admit, I was surprised by the chunk of change necessary to get an SSD. However, I went and priced out similar hardware from other laptop vendors and found they're actually offering a REALLY good price for the size.

applestew
Jan 18, 2008, 08:57 AM
from the furious discussions about the macbook air, one thing is clear, there are now two camps, one which totally adore the product, one that hates it.

So what apple had done is to effectively split the market segment up to create a new one. Which I believe is what they intended.

So stop fighting here. If u want a more feature packed notebook go for the macbook pro. If u value portability go for the MacBook air. If u have a limited budget get the macbook.

network23
Jan 18, 2008, 09:01 AM
Also: because it has a TON of radically innovative tech inside.

I'm really surprised by the number of people complaining about the cost.

If you seriously compare it to the competition, factor things like a fully custom CPU from Intel (not cheap considering the low production volumes--there are none of the typical economies of scale here) plus the custom chipsets to go with it and you have an expensive piece of hardware.

Seriously. It's as if people just assume out of the gate that Apple intentionally prices their hardware to appeal to the elite set. Miniturization is expensive! To make the world's thinnest laptop, you have to think small about everything going into it - and then some. From the super-tiny hard drive to the custom-built Intel chips, Apple had to do things with the design that nobody else is doing. Without off-the-shelf components, that's going to cost you.

Apple is a business. They know what the MBA costs and after they add in a reasonable profit, $1799 is a decent price.

anewman143
Jan 18, 2008, 09:07 AM
Not sure about everyone else, but the MBA is perfect for my wife's needs. She is finishing her masters in nursing and is in her second year of law school. She's got a white MacBook...but the Air is what she has always wanted.

She wants a LIGHT, THIN computer to do basic computing tasks - writing, web searching, email...nothing processor intensive

I'm sure we'll be looking at rev B CLOSELY

That's my $0.02

Adam

numbsafari
Jan 18, 2008, 09:08 AM

Dude... you must not live in a college town. Around Philly... every town is a college town... and every town has at least one cafe where you'll find at least one woman on a laptop.

And that's not even counting the women on laptops you'll see at places like Panera.

And those are just people who are looking to be out and about on their computers. I've worked with lots of women consultants who travel with laptops. You'll see tons of them in corporate settings and also in airports and hotel lounges.

I dunno... 50% of the population (or is it 51%) is female. That's a really broad and diverse group of people. Do they think differently? Sure. Do they shop differently? Sure. Do they care about tech? Absolutely.

I also don't think this is strictly tied to female shoppers, though it will certainly be a hit in that demographic. I think there are also plenty of male technology buyers who aren't as focused on specs. I think a lot of men look at specs because that's how we look at everything. But there are plenty of guys buying cars that don't meet up with all the specs (I'm guessing more guys own the Elise than women... but maybe that's just because they know women'll wanna drive it...).

I think this laptop blows two very important specs out of the proverbial ballpark: It's lightweight without compromising on usability (cpu power, screen and keyboard sizes, battery life are all part of usability) and it looks damn good.

Lastly... I'm amazed at the number of people who look at this and say "I can't edit full HD video on it or run a Java App Server so it clearly sucks and no one but stupid morans will buy it. RAWR". Apple has these other laptops called MacBook and MacBook Pro that might be more in line with a portable that fits your needs... and those still don't even come close to comparing to an iMac or MacPro.

Nobody expects you to own one of each.

I dunno... I used to own about 20 computers ranging from a 200lb Sun 4/470, some quad core DB servers and then my silly PC desktop. I was in college and loved playing around with computers and getting OpenBSD to run on things. Now I work as a consultant and I'm very happy with my laptop and iMac. They have plenty of computing power for my needs... take up WAY less space and look about a billion times better on my desk. I stare at these things all day long (and sometimes longer) so it's nice to have them be visually appealing.

Sure, I miss having a running computer for a coffee table. But, come on, you have to be realistic about what you actually need at some point.

Winglet
Jan 18, 2008, 09:24 AM

I too have to challenge this statement. Women are at the coffee shop I frequent, on laptops, every day. It's about a 50/50 split. Just because they aren't at your starbucks, doesn't mean they don't use laptops on a daily basis. I agree that you don't make a woman specific laptop, but it is true that many women would find this laptop small enough to carry in a purse when out in the field.

Personally, I don't mind the extra 2.4 pounds of my MBP, but I don't carry it in a purse!

Urenstaat
Jan 18, 2008, 09:44 AM
Actually, the price isn't so much of an issue, because 1799 dollar is just the introduction price. I bought my 20-inch Cinema Display at TWICE the price it is today. This was right after introduction. I expect the MacBook Air to cost 1299 dollars in about 9 months from now. Maybe it'll even end up cheaper in 2009.

Iroganai
Jan 18, 2008, 09:57 AM
I too have to challenge this statement. Women are at the coffee shop I frequent, on laptops, every day. It's about a 50/50 split.
I can totally agree with that. In fact there are so many of them I often can't take the seat inside Starbucks or other coffee shops. They should limit the maximum you can stay to one hour or so.

lord patton
Jan 18, 2008, 09:58 AM
To the extent that the MBA is purchased by women, there is a huge upside for an additional sale: the hubby gets whatever he wants (technology-wise, and maybe more ;))

I haven't been married long (3 years) but it seems that a major purchase for the wife translates into permission for the husband to get something, too. I bought my wife an iPhone on launch day, and she has almost been begging me to get one ever since (finally "caved" this last week :D).

So when the wife gets the MBA, the husband can get himself a new laptop, too. An MBP, let's say!

I doubt this will happen, but how cool would it be if Apple releases revamps their MBP line to look more iMac-like (aluminum with black bezels) and includes a 13" in the line. They could display them side-by-side in the retail store window, with a big sign over them saying "His — Hers." Just in time for Valentines Day.

Winglet
Jan 18, 2008, 10:09 AM
That psychology sounds good, but doesn't always work in real life, but good luck.

I doubt that you will see a 13 inch MBP with the new MBA. That would be in direct competition with the new product and could potentially take many sales away from the MBA.

ncbill
Jan 18, 2008, 10:12 AM
The MBA doesn't break new ground as did the iPod and the iPhone.

The MBA is simply current hardware (the Macbook) repackaged into a smaller form factor, with significant compromises made to fit into that form factor (loss of most of the I/O ports, smaller/slower hard drive, etc.)

I.e., the MBA is 2008's version of the Cube.

I'd made a similar post on another forum. I think the MBA is the first step in the "next generation" of computing where have an iMac, Mac Pro, or PC "home base" computer and then a small, light "satellite" computer that travels around w/them. Hopefully though it follows in the footsteps of the iMac and not the Newton.:D
Lethal

Jim Campbell
Jan 18, 2008, 10:13 AM

Abso-blimmin-lutely. I think the aspect of Apple's real genius that people (particularly those of us with a tech/spec/geek bias) overlook is their facility to make products that people just irrationally want.

I like Macs, but not to the exclusion of reason ... and they hit me with the irrational want with the 1G Nano. Never liked the iPod Mini, couldn't afford a proper iPod ... and then I saw the Nano, and I absolutely, unequivocally wanted one. In black.

To the extent that I preferred the 2Gb Black over the 4Gb White (the 4Gb Black having sold out everywhere).

No real thought for specs or features - I just wanted the damn thing.

The MacBook Air gives off the same vibe. I think they'll sell a bucketload of the things.

Cheers

Jim

Xtoo
Jan 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
I, for example, working in post production, am surrounded by high-end Macs all day. I also have an iPhone and a older G4 Mac at home, that mainly is used for internet, photos, music and email.

The Macbook Air in my case is almost a perfect solution for a mobile computer. I do not need all the ports, neither an optical drive and HATE cords and cables. The MBA appeals to me greatly and same to my business partner.

On the other hand, my GF was instantly hooked with the MBA. She literally said "I need that!". She is not as techy as I am, but loves to be cutting edge and loves the Mac. She always complaint about how heavy laptops are (I think her purse is almost just as heavy but that is HER purse) and always wished for a very light Mac.

So this new macbook appeals not just to women that don't care about specs, but to the stylish women that hate clutter and to power users like me that just want a mobile computer to take on the road and enjoy in the time off.

As far as price, I believe it will come down. The premium of R&D is gonna be paid by the first users. I would not be surprised if Apple slash the prices and gives it a $1499 sticker before the end of 2008.

At $1499 those Airs will fly off the shelves in seconds.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure whom you're quoting. I didn't say "women don't use computers." It was a quote that came out of the blue. What I said was the opposite of sexist: that computers should NOT specifically be designed for women. And beyond that, I said that I don't see many women using computers. That's not sexist. If it were sexist, I would have to somehow imply that using a computer is virtuous and not using one is a vice.Apologies for the quotes, (which implied that you said those words), I was in fact paraphrasing. It did kind of sum up your message though.

dual64bit
Jan 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
I agree about the pricing, I'd imagine it will drop $100-200 within 9-12 months.

The price is reasonable, I bought one. It is a mobile computer, the Macbook Air IS A mobile computer.

Those with MBP who use as primary computer, they should be using an iMac. Mobile computers are meant to be ultra portable. Mobile computers don't do video editing, that's not what people want.

I think Apple hit the head pretty good, people will like this, this fills the void in mobile computing...

snickelfritz
Jan 18, 2008, 10:32 AM
The MacBook Air is not actually a "sub-notebook"; it is just a thinner, lighter version of the standard size MacBook.
It is also a target/testbed for a new wireless paradigm.
ie: Will people accept a device that relies almost solely on wireless technologies for peripheral connections, backup, and networking?

Airforce
Jan 18, 2008, 10:35 AM
Mobile computers don't do video editing, that's not what people want.

You don't speak for all of us ;)

Winglet
Jan 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
I agree about the pricing, I'd imagine it will drop $100-200 within 9-12 months.

The price is reasonable, I bought one. It is a mobile computer, the Macbook Air IS A mobile computer.

Those with MBP who use as primary computer, they should be using an iMac. Mobile computers are meant to be ultra portable. Mobile computers don't do video editing, that's not what people want.

I think Apple hit the head pretty good, people will like this, this fills the void in mobile computing...

Very well put. I use a MBP as a primary computer, but that's because I split time between two homes. If I was in one place long enough, I would have and iMac and would consider the MBA as the "ultra portable".

MrFrankly
Jan 18, 2008, 10:51 AM

http://www.thegadgetblog.com/wp-content/2Buffalo_BHB4_U207_USB_Hub.jpg

rtdunham
Jan 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
...Only one usb port though? Surely they could have fit just one more.

And it would have made a big difference:

Because the internal storage is so small on either MBA model, users are quickly going to figure out they need to hang an external hard drive on this baby. (Do YOU want to try to figure out what part of your normal computer contents you want to take with you prior to every road trip, and figure out how to sync the work you've done while on the road, every time you get back? No. So you'll want to use an external, either to carry all your files (remember how much space your music, photos, even video take) or even as a boot drive--so no matter where you are, and so even if you connect to and work off another machine at home or your destination, everything about your work space AND content is identical at all times.)

But how do you back up that external? Gotta have backup, right?

With a 2nd USB port on the machine, it'd be simple.

But with only one USB port, it's not: You might a) Carry a powered USB port with you--one more piece of gear to offset the weight and size savings the Air delivers otherwise; b) keep backup drives at work AND the office, and a powered USB hub in each location, and carry the MBA physically to the backup drive and connect it with cables, each time you want to back up, which sort of defeats the purpose of the "Air"; or c) use Time Machine and Time Capsule or another NAS drive. But wait: according to apple's guys and gals at MWSF, Time Machine can only back up to a single destination. So the NAS drive will only work with a backup program other than TM. I'll choose SuperDuper, but it defeats apple's efforts to provide hardware and software solutions that integrate neatly.

So imho a 2nd USB port would have gone a long, long way to sustain the premise of the Air and its functionality.

IEatApples
Jan 18, 2008, 11:29 AM
I doubt this will happen, but how cool would it be if Apple releases revamps their MBP line to look more iMac-like (aluminum with black bezels) and includes a 13" in the line. They could display them side-by-side in the retail store window, with a big sign over them saying "His — Hers." Just in time for Valentines Day.Ouch! :D Someone is probably gonna fry you for that one! ;):p …*I think it's a good idea though (the 13" MacBook Pro)!

TheVille1974
Jan 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
There's another group of computer users who seek style and fashionable compact notebooks... the gays!! :cool:

This notebook is perfect for us and since we tend to have a bunch of cash burning a hole in our pockets (demographically speaking) so we can certainly afford to plunk down the change needed to buy this device and make our straight friends unbelievably jealous.

No wife to support, no kids to put through school, no needy girlfriend = money for macbook air... woohoo :-)

gwangung
Jan 18, 2008, 11:48 AM
So this new macbook appeals not just to women that don't care about specs,

Um, I think people keep forgetting...weight IS a spec.

Perhaps not the most important one, but it is one people consider.

rtdunham
Jan 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
...As far as the port, get a pocket usb hub, those things are tiny, really my wife has one the size of a compact and it is 5 yrs old. I'm sure there are some pretty sleek ones out there. Better yet get one of those usb keypads that have two ports on them. Then you get a keypad and a couple ports. How much do you really need to hook up to this, especially at one time..

according to the people at MWSF (apple, lacie, western digital, others) there is no certainty the MBA (or perhaps other notebook computers) would adequately power a pocket usb hub and several attached devices. I was led to believe that the output from the MBA's single usb port would provide only half as much power for running attached devices as would a notebook with two usb ports. So if you're talking about attaching to devices at home and office, you'd probably want to leave a powered USB hub at each location. I don't think you're gonna want to spoil the light weight advantage of the MBA by having to carry a powered hub (with heavy power block) back and forth with you at all times.

Your keyboard-with-usb-ports is a good idea, but wouldn't the keyboard still be attached to the MBA's single port and thus providing divided (reduced) power to those ports?

JCT
Jan 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
Um, I think people keep forgetting...weight IS a spec.

Perhaps not the most important one, but it is one people consider.

As a frequent work traveler (and yes, female) I consider weight all the time when it comes to what I bring along. I spent *hours* in O'Hare yesterday carrying around an extra bag with my MBP because it doesn't fit in my usual work bag filled with folders, papers, etc. In fact, before I head out on a trip my very last decision is whether I could possibly do without the computer.

I just pulled the trigger on an Air + SSD and I'll bet my frequent traveling experience is about to get much better. This will actually allow me to jettison an entire bag, this is huge when you travel by air all the time. I cannot imagine I am alone on this. Could I have just gone with a MB? Yes, but I decided to go "all the way" on weight while I had the opportunity.

Is it right for everyone? No. But it nails my demographic head-on. I needed a machine for work that I would never consider leaving behind. Besides, I see the smaller HDD as an incentive for me to keep crap off the computer ;).

JT

devilot
Jan 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
Devilot - I hear ya! As a female, I run into situations constantly where it's automatically assumed instantly I know nothing of tech.:o I'm not all that tech savvy. But savvy enough to know what I want and do not want. What I'm wiling to sacrifice (functionality wise) and what I'm not willing to sacrifice.

from the furious discussions about the macbook air, one thing is clear, there are now two camps, one which totally adore the product, one that hates it. I think that's a bit strong. Do I think some people adore and others hate the MBA? Sure. But I'd like to think that people are level-headed enough to realize as with everything in life, there are pros and there are cons. It just boils down to which sort of features interest you more, and which you're willing to forego.

Do they think differently? Sure. Do they shop differently? Sure. Do they care about tech? Absolutely. Yes! Thank you for saying that.

They have plenty of computing power for my needs... take up WAY less space and look about a billion times better on my desk.

... But, come on, you have to be realistic about what you actually need at some point.And that's what it comes down to-- what one user needs and wants. I think reading MR, I've traditionally gone overboard in terms of what I actually need and the machine I get. I had no real use for the "power" of my 12"PB, but was drawn to the size of it. Likewise, I'm starting to more seriously consider the MBA and this time, I'm again, reluctant to "settle" for lesser power, but that slim, light package with that perfect KB is just so damned tempting. :o

Besides, I see the smaller HDD as an incentive for me to keep crap off the computer ;). Ugh. I know, that's a valid point. Shouldn't be terribly difficult for me as my MB "only" has 80GB HDD, too. But, I still have my alum iMac. :o We'll see... we'll see. How it beckons to me, though. Sigh.

BRH
Jan 18, 2008, 02:29 PM
The MB Air is ok, but it doesn't strike me as being a "huge" announcement (like the iPhone last year). I like the Air and certainly would use it if given one, but personally, I would not be willing to pay that price for what is included. I can buy a MacBook (new or refurb) for $800 or $900 cheaper that has a faster processor, more USB ports, an optical drive, a bigger hard drive, and a replaceable battery. And it only weighs just a small amount more and is still less than an inch thick. I just don't see why I would be willing to pay $800 more for less of a machine with the only advantage being that it is slightly thinner and lighter.
I guess that might make a huge difference if you live in an inner city, urban area like NYC where you walk and carry your stuff everywhere daily, but 90% of us don't do that and we carry our electronics and so forth in vehicles. So an extra pound and an extra half inch is certainly not worth $800 more to me. (not to mention the features you have to give up).
So I see this as being a hit in urban areas and maybe on college campuses, but for a lot of others, I just don't see it as that great of a deal. I would change my mind if Apple had priced the machine more reasonably for what it includes, but at it's current price point, I just wouldn't be interested. I think it should be priced about the same as the MacBook (or maybe even slightly less for the lacking features). I guess you could argue that the thinness and aluminum might make up for the features, so I could see it being priced about the same, but certainly not $800 more. Geez, I could buy a fully loaded MacBook Pro from the Apple Refurb store for $1699 that has a gazillion more features and power.
I guess it all comes down to how important that "thinness" and "style" factor is to you, and to me it isn't worth that much extra dough and giving up so much. I do think the Air can be a hit, but I think we'll need to see a price cut very early in it's life for it to take off.
Personally, I would have preferred a real sub notebook release with a smaller (10 or 11 inch) form but with power features. (Like the old 12" PowerBook, or even the long rumored tablet). Also, I think they could have included a touch screen as well (not just more trackpad gestures). That was kind of a cop out, since everyone knows they have the touch screen ability now. Anyway, I just don't see this holding up to the normal Apple hype that products such as the iPhone, aluminum iMacs, etc have enjoyed. Just my personal tastes and opinions though. (I don't dislike the Air, I just am not that jazzed over it either. I think they could have released something a lot "cooler".)

Rendwich
Jan 18, 2008, 02:59 PM
In speaking to Xavier of Notebooks.com (http://www.notebooks.com), he mentioned (and later wrote about (http://www.notebooks.com/2008/01/16/i-love-my-wife-cause-shes-forcing-me-to-buy-a-macbook-air/)) how that the MacBook Air instantly appealed to his wife:
But then I started thinking about how this new Mac will appeal to women. It’s slim enough to throw in a purse...

Unbelievably funny!

They trim 0.24 inches off the thickness of the MacBook, reduce or remove most of the features and add $700 to the price. Suddenly it's "slim enough to throw in a purse"! That extra 1/4 inch was apparently more important than anyone outside of Cupertino realized.

Or not.

I've definitely appreciated the comments of those who recognize what the Airball is: An impractical status symbol for people with ample disposable income. There's a post here claiming that an 80GB HDD is a "feature" because it will require users to "weed out" their data!

Many people type "LOL" when they really aren't LOL. This was a true "LOL".

d.f
Jan 18, 2008, 03:07 PM

yep, agree 100%. yes, they're expensive, but it's a one off purchase. these people aren't going to get the spec bug and worry about updates, rival manufacturers, etc. they'll buy it, fall in love with it (especially if they're new to OSX) and will probably use it till it packs up in many years.

LethalWolfe
Jan 18, 2008, 03:23 PM
The MBA doesn't break new ground as did the iPod and the iPhone.

The MBA is simply current hardware (the Macbook) repackaged into a smaller form factor, with significant compromises made to fit into that form factor (loss of most of the I/O ports, smaller/slower hard drive, etc.)

I.e., the MBA is 2008's version of the Cube.
IMO the last "breaking new ground" product Apple had was the Newton (and possibly the iMac to a less extent). The iPod wasn't the first MP3 player and the iPhone wasn't the first smart phone (and they both cost more and did less than their competition). The big deal w/those products though is they, for lack of a better term, changed the user experience (also the coupling w/iTunes helped out quite a bit). On paper the iPod and iPhone don't look like they stack up, but once you use on in person it's a whole different story. I think the MBA could be the same way.

I also think the MBA might be a little ahead of it's time in a way the iMac was in regards to dropping "legacy" ports and devices. For a machine that's supposed to be a secondary computer I don't think only having 1 USB 2.0 slot is that big a draw back. To move files between users e-mail, shared networks, FTP, jump drives, and external HDDs are quickly moving us away from using physical, transferable media (floppies, CDs, DVDs, etc.,). Most computer programs can be purchased and downloaded directly from the companies website as well and getting music, tv shows, and movies doesn't require physical media anymore. But if you want to rip a DVD you already own you just have the MBA "take control" of your desktop's optical drive.

Personally, I think this is going to be a growing trend in laptops in the next 2-3 years. The first gen isn't my cup of tea, mostly because of the 80gig HDD is too small for me, but a future gen MBA could very easily end up in my bag.

Lethal

tdhurst
Jan 18, 2008, 04:11 PM
There's another group of computer users who seek style and fashionable compact notebooks... the gays!! :cool:

This notebook is perfect for us and since we tend to have a bunch of cash burning a hole in our pockets (demographically speaking) so we can certainly afford to plunk down the change needed to buy this device and make our straight friends unbelievably jealous.

No wife to support, no kids to put through school, no needy girlfriend = money for macbook air... woohoo :-)

Damn you and your excitement!

FX120
Jan 18, 2008, 04:26 PM
If you can fit the MBA into a purse, you've got a big purse.

gwangung
Jan 18, 2008, 04:26 PM
I guess that might make a huge difference if you live in an inner city, urban area like NYC where you walk and carry your stuff everywhere daily, but 90% of us don't do that and we carry our electronics and so forth in vehicles.

I don't think you've been listening....

philsuarez
Jan 18, 2008, 04:29 PM
I initially thought to myself 'What's the point of MBA?' Would you really want to pay that much extra for a machine that is less powerful than a Macbook. Probably even more relevant does my iPhone actually perform all the functions of MBA. Certainly when the developers kit is released in February then I'm sure all sorts of useful apps such as word processors will appear. So again do I really need or require MBA? I have to say that my iphone has far exceeded any expectations that I had and yet sometimes you do require that little extra screen space. We are the family of Mac. Between us we have a Imac G5, Macbook, Powerbook G4 17", Powerbook G4 12", three iphones and enough ipods, airports and software to sink a battleship. Out of all that choice what trusty four year old machine does my partner prefer? My Powerbook G4 12" of course. Why have I not brought another laptop. Simply the lack of choice over bulk and size. I am 6' 5" but 30 minutes of use with her Powerbook G4 17" kills my knees. It's big, hot and is a dead weight. Does she desire MBA? You bet. Do I? Of course. I am a self confessed so called lifestyle freak. I love Bang & Olufsen and I love Apple. A huge part of that is the design aspect of both companies products. Lets not forget however that Apple does actually make some bloody good products. Like the iPhone you can have all the features in the world but if the user can't access them then is there any point. When my partner wants to go away for the weekend, take her MBA with her and do some design work, will she? I think the answer will be she will. However her Powerbook will be sitting on the table. Its just too big and bulky.

roland.g
Jan 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
according to the people at MWSF (apple, lacie, western digital, others) there is no certainty the MBA (or perhaps other notebook computers) would adequately power a pocket usb hub and several attached devices. I was led to believe that the output from the MBA's single usb port would provide only half as much power for running attached devices as would a notebook with two usb ports. So if you're talking about attaching to devices at home and office, you'd probably want to leave a powered USB hub at each location. I don't think you're gonna want to spoil the light weight advantage of the MBA by having to carry a powered hub (with heavy power block) back and forth with you at all times.

Your keyboard-with-usb-ports is a good idea, but wouldn't the keyboard still be attached to the MBA's single port and thus providing divided (reduced) power to those ports?

Maybe I fail to see the point as I don't think most of my devices actually need the power. Does a dig camera, doesn't it use its own power. iPhone, I sync to my main machine, printer should also have its own power. Not sure how much of what I would connect via a hub would need the power. But then again I am usually only connecting one, maybe 2 usb devices and the need to have them both at the same time is rare.

Not sure if I was clear, I also meant keypad for number input not a keyboard, a keyboard is more than I want to carry.

Dustman
Jan 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
Maybe but it really is meant to be a 2nd machine, a true notebook in the sense of being just what you need to travel with and travel light. The desktop at home is your main machine or if you really need 15" or 17" size and power, then you do what people have done all along, carry the larger and slightly heavier machines. I think this machine really fits a perfect niche. Small, light, does what you need, surfing, writing, photos, etc, w/o the cumbersome aspects that a heaver machine brings.

As far as the port, get a pocket usb hub, those things are tiny, really my wife has one the size of a compact and it is 5 yrs old. I'm sure there are some pretty sleek ones out there. Better yet get one of those usb keypads that have two ports on them. Then you get a keypad and a couple ports. How much do you really need to hook up to this, especially at one time..

Forgot about a hub, I didn't realize that they have gotten so small. With the lack of a ethernet port i'll have to use an adapter for high speed at home (I' dont mind though, having another wire where a wire normally is anyway doesnt bother me) but I'd like to be able to charge my iPod aswell.

All issues aside, I think Apple's bringing back the innovation that they used to have back in the late 90s to the early 2000s. The Macbook Air is gorgeous.

roland.g
Jan 18, 2008, 04:42 PM
reasons I have not ordered a MBA yet.

1. My wife and I just had our first and she would kill me.

2. I don't really need it.

3. I just got a 2.8Ghz 24" iMac in August and so while this would my 2nd machine and only portable, I think I need to wait on it.

4. While most of my machines and most Apple products have been new rev. A products (yes I'm an addict), I think that I will wait this one out, mostly b/c of reasons 1, 2 & 3, but they really give me good reason to see what if anything a rev. B brings - especially since this is Apple's first foray into this sort of product (no the 12" PB doesn't count).

5. And once that rev. B comes out, I will either go refurb on a rev. A or wait till the refurbs comes out on the rev. Bs. Since you can't do much with the RAM etc., the refurbs will be the way to go.

iSee
Jan 18, 2008, 05:10 PM
Unbelievably funny!

They trim 0.24 inches off the thickness of the MacBook, reduce or remove most of the features and add $700 to the price. Suddenly it's "slim enough to throw in a purse"! That extra 1/4 inch was apparently more important than anyone outside of Cupertino realized.

The 2lbs difference between the MB and MBA is what makes the difference. There's a threshold between something that is easy to pick up and hold in one hand vs. something that's not. Obviously, that threshold is different for different people, but the MBA is going to be on the rigth side of that threshold for many more people that the MB. There are other subtle factors to this besides weight, too. For example, a closed MBP has no good place to grab and hang on to one. The tapered design of the MBA *might* function as a sort of handle--a good place to grab on (would have to get my hands on one to see for sure).

iSee
Jan 18, 2008, 05:20 PM
And it would have made a big difference:

Because the internal storage is so small on either MBA model, users are quickly going to figure out they need to hang an external hard drive on this baby. (Do YOU want to try to figure out what part of your normal computer contents you want to take with you prior to every road trip, and figure out how to sync the work you've done while on the road, every time you get back? No. So you'll want to use an external, either to carry all your files (remember how much space your music, photos, even video take) or even as a boot drive--so no matter where you are, and so even if you connect to and work off another machine at home or your destination, everything about your work space AND content is identical at all times.)

But how do you back up that external? Gotta have backup, right?

With a 2nd USB port on the machine, it'd be simple.

But with only one USB port, it's not: You might a) Carry a powered USB port with you--one more piece of gear to offset the weight and size savings the Air delivers otherwise; b) keep backup drives at work AND the office, and a powered USB hub in each location, and carry the MBA physically to the backup drive and connect it with cables, each time you want to back up, which sort of defeats the purpose of the "Air"; or c) use Time Machine and Time Capsule or another NAS drive. But wait: according to apple's guys and gals at MWSF, Time Machine can only back up to a single destination. So the NAS drive will only work with a backup program other than TM. I'll choose SuperDuper, but it defeats apple's efforts to provide hardware and software solutions that integrate neatly.

So imho a 2nd USB port would have gone a long, long way to sustain the premise of the Air and its functionality.

If you expect to use an external drive with your MBA anything more than rarely, you are not in the market for a MBA. I think you might as well count on upgrading your home or office network to 802.11n when considering a MBA--probably you just want to count on getting TC.

Seriously, if you aren't ready to embrace wireless, this computer is not for you. Ports are so 2009...

neutrino23
Jan 18, 2008, 08:45 PM
... I can buy a MacBook (new or refurb) for $800 or $900 cheaper that has a faster processor, more USB ports, an optical drive, a bigger hard drive, and a replaceable battery. And it only weighs just a small amount more and is still less than an inch thick. I just don't see why I would be willing to pay $800 more for less of a machine with the only advantage being that it is slightly thinner and lighter.
I guess that might make a huge difference if you live in an inner city, urban area like NYC where you walk and carry your stuff everywhere daily, but 90% of us don't do that and we carry our electronics and so forth in vehicles. So an extra pound and an extra half inch is certainly not worth $800 more to me.

"Only a pound". That may not sound like much to you because you drive everywhere. In many countries, and in many professions, people walk more than they drive. In Japan people ride trains and walk. In many large companies and schools you may drive to the building or campus but then you walk around most of the day. In these cases an extra pound is a big deal. Japan produces thousands of lighter, smaller products each year because people want to pare down on what they carry.

This could be a great product for a student, or for a worker at any level in a large company or hospital.

Some are complaining about the specifications. However, the specs only look light in comparison to top of the line products available today. A 1.6GHz, dual core processor would have been leading edge just a few years ago. For most day-to-day needs this is a fast machine with a large hard drive. It is more than enough to let you participate in the modern digital world. You can view and produce presentations with Keynote. You can send videos to Youtube. You can join video chats. You can view and produce all sorts of PDF documents. You can listen to and produce Podcasts. You can listen to music. You can create music with Garageband.

For special projects at home you can connect a larger monitor (up to 23 inch).

Some things will run a little slowly, but they will run. If you look at the competition, Sony and others produce machines with just 1GHz processors and they charge more. The MBA is not for everyone but it is a solid addition to the MB lineup.

BRH
Jan 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
"Only a pound". That may not sound like much to you because you drive everywhere. In many countries, and in many professions, people walk more than they drive. In Japan people ride trains and walk. In many large companies and schools you may drive to the building or campus but then you walk around most of the day. In these cases an extra pound is a big deal. Japan produces thousands of lighter, smaller products each year because people want to pare down on what they carry.

This could be a great product for a student, or for a worker at any level in a large company or hospital.

Some are complaining about the specifications. However, the specs only look light in comparison to top of the line products available today. A 1.6GHz, dual core processor would have been leading edge just a few years ago. For most day-to-day needs this is a fast machine with a large hard drive. It is more than enough to let you participate in the modern digital world. You can view and produce presentations with Keynote. You can send videos to Youtube. You can join video chats. You can view and produce all sorts of PDF documents. You can listen to and produce Podcasts. You can listen to music. You can create music with Garageband.

For special projects at home you can connect a larger monitor (up to 23 inch).

Some things will run a little slowly, but they will run. If you look at the competition, Sony and others produce machines with just 1GHz processors and they charge more. The MBA is not for everyone but it is a solid addition to the MB lineup.

Don't get me wrong; I definitely agree that the MBA would be great for students and people in inner city areas that do a lot of walking. I do agree it has it's place, but I just think that it is way overpriced for the power that it packs and for what is left out. If it was priced in the same range as the MacBook, I could see it being a more viable product. I just personally can't see myself paying an extra $800 for a 1/4 of an inch less in thickness and a couple of pounds in weight.

Also, as far as the power goes; I agree a 1.6 ghz processor is fine for most any normal use. (Heck, I have a 2.0ghz MacBook and a 1.83ghz iMac, but I still use my old 1.25ghz iMac G4 more than any machine I own. And it still has plenty of power to handle most anything I ever want to do. Plus, I still think that old "table lamp" design was Apple's coolest model ever). So anyway, you can see, I'm not saying that the 1.6ghz isn't enough power for most people; I'm just questioning the high price point for this item when it doesn't have the "latest" or "fastest" chips available.

So, basically, my main problem is not really the machine itself, but instead is the high cost for what you get. I really think it should be priced in the $1000 to $1200 range.

Also, on a sidenote; I wouldn't mind seeing Apple come out with a lower price point, more mass appeal product as well. They've done that in the mp3 market with iPods, so why not with notebooks or computers? I think the younger, educational market would be a good move for Apple. I'd like to see them introduce something like an entry level notebook for younger kids. Maybe something quirky and tough and colorful (like the old original clamshell ibook design). They could make them more basic, entry level machines and sell them lower than the MacBook price point (maybe in the $600 to $800 range) as an entry product for younger kids and schools. Also, they could take a lower price product like this and open it up and mass market it by selling it in places like Target, Wal-Mart, etc. the way they do with iPods. I think a more mass appeal product like this would be a great move for Apple at this point (plus a younger, educational model would be a great way to hook kids on Macs early). Anyway, I know that's off topic a bit, but that's a direction I would like to see Apple go, and I think it would be a great hole to fill.

FX120
Jan 19, 2008, 12:21 AM
Maybe I fail to see the point as I don't think most of my devices actually need the power. Does a dig camera, doesn't it use its own power. iPhone, I sync to my main machine, printer should also have its own power. Not sure how much of what I would connect via a hub would need the power. But then again I am usually only connecting one, maybe 2 usb devices and the need to have them both at the same time is rare.

Not sure if I was clear, I also meant keypad for number input not a keyboard, a keyboard is more than I want to carry.

Most portable devices (the ones you're most likely to use with the MBA to compensate for it's lack of internals) are usually powered off the USB bus, such as the superdrive, a jump drive, 2.5" hard drive, USB 3G modem, to charge an iPod, ect. I am really surprised that Apple even managed to get the external superdrive enough power off of the USB bus.

jfreeman
Jan 19, 2008, 01:25 AM
No where in all the complaining have I heard the following point: If Apple is pushing "wireless" as the new dogma of computing, which I'm actually partial to, why have they made no apparent effort to make the rest of their product line up match?

As an obvious example, I can't believe the iPhone (still) doesn't synch via Bluetooth or Wifi. When the iPhone came out this was excusable. But if Apple sells me a "wireless" laptop with only one USB port, I couldn't stand the irony of using that one port to synch their other famously "wireless" device. I love Apple, but I hate hypocrisy. If they are going to push wireless, let's see them push wireless.

That said, I will probably buy the MBA. Why? I'm a power user (neuroscientific analysis), and I use my 17" MBP heavily; I need the screen, storage, and speed, and sometimes I need to bring the whole shabang with me. But when it's at home I have it plugged into everything, and I'm tired of unplugging it and packing it up every day, and lugging it to and from my lab. Sure, the MBA won't be my only computer. Sure, if I'm going on a two-week trip I'll still bring my MBP. But for a weekend conference, or a coffee shop, or (especially) a plane ride, the MBA seems perfect. And I can leave the MBP plugged-in, wired, at home.

And for all the people concerned about replaceable batteries (especially on planes): I sympathize, but quite frankly, when I'm flying, I usually leave my 17" in it's bag because it's so f'in big -- when I take it out I just feel bad for the person sitting next to me. I'd rather pull out something sleek and sexy, that stays well within the confines of my tray table. Even if just to use it for a couple hours. But that's just me. I know a smaller MB or MBP might serve the purpose. I guess at some point I just love things that look and feel cool.

pseudonymph
Jan 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
That's funny, my girlfriend and her mom (both macbook users) totally didn't see the point of the MBA. They think the current Macbook is an ideal size/weight, and if they wanted something smaller they'd get more powerful cellphones to tote around. I haven't seen anyone fawning over the MBA so I haven't noticed any gender divide.

On the other hand, I see it as a perfect complement to a Mac desktop. I rarely use the optical drive on my laptop and I could do all my device syncing and media storage on a desktop, so I wouldn't need more than one USB slot. The MBA is probably my next laptop purchase (after an imac of course), but probably not for a couple of years since I just got my SR macbook. Hopefully SSD prices will be reasonable by then too :)

Bye Bye Baby
Jan 19, 2008, 06:55 AM
Absolutely-- the other big market is for people who have a desktop and who need an ultra-lite portable for work, study or just going on holidays and keeping in contact with the world in general.

Second generation will be good enough for me. Iron out any bugs and I will be on the queue the next time I am in the States!

sparks9
Jan 19, 2008, 08:02 AM
Its quite funny to read these threads :)

Everytime Apple comes up with a new product line, people are whining about it...

Same thing happened when the first iPod, iMac, iPhone, and even iPod mini/nano was presented. 3 months later people love the products.

And btw: I dont see why the MacBook Air would be a laptop for women? If this is the case the iPod is an mp3-player for women.

mutantteenager
Jan 20, 2008, 06:17 PM

Computer and cars are totally different. When you are buying a computer it has to be right for the reason you bought it. I haven't read a post which clearly identifies the target market for this computer.

If you are an average user, then yes this would probably suit your needs really well. But hang on, how much does it cost?! Also, if it's aimed at bods, then why does it have an option for 64GB SSD? Surely that's geek territory?

Computers have been sold on spec since the year dot. Apple do it all the time, but when it doesn't suit them as in the MBA, they start saying that people don't need 'that extra stuff' - like a removable battery!

I would like to meet that guy's wife who is gonna stick and MBA in her purse! How big is that purse???

All moaning aside, it is an impressive feat of engineering let down by a crazy price - all those cube comparisons ring true for me.

gwangung
Jan 20, 2008, 08:35 PM
Computer and cars are totally different. When you are buying a computer it has to be right for the reason you bought it. I haven't read a post which clearly identifies the target market for this computer.

I've seen several.

drditty
Jan 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
Big bags are fashionable! My wife has several purses that would easily accomodate the MBA.

On another more serious note, travelling by air in Europe would be ideal for this device. The baggage restrictions are much more severe than in the US, ie a carry on bag that is OK in the states may be too big in Europe.

Furthermore, in the UK you can have only one carry on bag and so in that situation, this device would be very adventageous.

I agree that this machine has great appeal to style oriented women. Remember that there is a large demographic that purchases "fashion." So the people who don't mind buying $ 500 jeans or shoes are really not going to care too much about the price point of this machine.

Apple knows this, and it is not coincidental that their NYC store are on 5th avenue across the street from Bergdorf Goodman and other stylish areas.

blouis79
Feb 2, 2008, 05:36 PM
After Apple has done the MBA engineering, it's a piece of cake to build a plastic MBA equivalent of the MacBook line and sell squillions. What schoolkid wouldn't want one? (or will they be getting the tablet Mac + bluetooth keyboard).

seashellz2
Feb 2, 2008, 06:00 PM
I predict the ladies will go crazy for it-like those tiny sample liquor bottles

uber gorilla
Feb 2, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hey, I think we're forgetting a specific section of the population here: today's metrosexual. A style-conscious (yet straight) lad such as myself is all over the MBA like stink on the proverbial monkey. Can't wait to get me grubby meat-hooks on one! (But need to wait another 16 painful sleeps...).