Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejedipunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
California
So my AppleCare finally ended on my iBook. I took it in to see a Genius because the battery has been crapping out lately. While I'll be getting a new battery, the Genius suggested I could upgrade my HDD. My question to you all is have any of you upgraded your HDD without professional installation and how did that go about? Where would you recommend getting a pro installation at an affordable rate (specifically in the Orange County area)?? What about hard drive recommendations?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
On an iBook, it's not the most straight-forward operation. Check out the iFixit guide to see how intimidating you think it is. As for drives, go for the largest ATA 2.5" drive you can afford. The more space the better. :)

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
I just upgraded my late 2004 iBook's hard drive last night. It took about 1.0 to 1.5 hours for the disassembly and reassembly. The process was pretty straight forward and I didn't have any problems.

I downloaded the iFixit guide for replacing the hard drive and printed it. The instructions were easy to follow and the screw guide was very helpful. I stuck some double-sided tape to the screw guide to keep all the little screws securely in place.

The tools they show you'll need are in fact required. You'll also probably want a small slotted screwdriver for a little extra help popping out the feet and the metal rings under the feet.

I used a HITACHI Travelstar 160GB 5400 RPM hard drive (from Newegg). I also grabbed a Macally external firewire enclosure to stick my old hard drive into (also from Newegg).

160GB is waaay better than 30GB. :)

Attachments

• hard drive.jpg
    hard drive.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.