Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
I know that this is a really dumb question, but here goes anyway. I am thinking about purchasing my husband an iPod touch for our anniversary and I want to know if it is pretty intuitive to use. For his birthday I purchased him his first mac and he is loving it. He is very, very intelligent, but doesn't always have a lot of patience if things don't work fairly easily. For those of you that have one, what do you think about it compared to say the classics? Thanks for hearing me out and for any advice.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I know that this is a really dumb question, but here goes anyway. I am thinking about purchasing my husband an iPod touch for our anniversary and I want to know if it is pretty intuitive to use. For his birthday I purchased him his first mac and he is loving it. He is very, very intelligent, but doesn't always have a lot of patience if things don't work fairly easily. For those of you that have one, what do you think about it compared to say the classics? Thanks for hearing me out and for any advice.

It's not hard by any means. If you go to the apple site you can look at them and see they're pretty straight forward. All it is is buttons no menus. I'd say it's easier than a classic, however it sometimes takes a bit longer to navigate to the right page than a classic, and it can be a challenge to work it whilst driving.

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007

I think you need to consider more factors, like what your husband needs or does not need. The iPod Classics are great for listening to music and if you have a huge music library. It has a giant storage to hold all your music/video needs, but I wouldn't really watch movies on such a small screen. The iPod Touch on the other hand has more features, even if you don't plan on jailbreaking, you can purchase the $20 software upgrade for Mail/Maps/Weather/Stock/Notes. Personally I love having these applications on my iPod Touch when I am on the go. The WiFi is a big plus, I've had several occasions where it has saved my life (not literally of course), allowing me to look up needed information (I just parked in a residential neighborhood and connected to an open WiFi connection). If your husband will be using the device for more than just listening to music, I'd say go for the iPod Touch. Hope this helps :)

br1anc

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
The iPod Touch on the other hand has more features, even if you don't plan on jailbreaking, you can purchase the $20 software upgrade for Mail/Maps/Weather/Stock/Notes. Personally I love having these applications on my iPod Touch when I am on the go.
yeah, but if you get the newer iPod Touch, then the 5 new apps come with it.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I have an iPod and he enjoys listening to it, but I do all the set up on it. He has been having so much fun on the MBP I bought him for his birthday though, that I think he might like the Touch. And I guess the worst case scenario would be that I would be the one syncing, etc. for him. I thought it might even come in extremely hand when traveling. I think I'll just take the plunge and buy him one. You have to understand that he is teaching his 6th grade class how to make movies and all kinds of incredible things. He even wants his class to start making their own podcasts. He has been teaching 6th grade for 35 years and still gets excited about learning and teaching in the classroom. He just always as patient when it comes to things he does for himself. I just wanted to make sure you guys thought it was pretty easy to master. You have helped decide that he should be okay with one. Thanks again.

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
go to apple site and find the touch user pdf.

that is way more helpful than the instructions it comes with.

he should be up and running in no time.

i teach college students and i admire anyone who teaches.

a tip of the hat to your husband.

rascal2u

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Portland, Maine
If he spends his days creating new adventures for his students, then maybe it's time for him to have one of his own adventures;)

The Touch is intuitive, easy for the stubborn male to comprehend, and sexy.

Go ahead, make his day.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
thats some tough stuff for 6th graders IMO

Actually these 6th graders have surpassed all expectations. They are an incredible group. We perform puppet shows, videotape and make DVD's. They have even made their movies specifically for iPods and I have put them on their iPods for them. The best thing is that they are learning a lot and able to retain it because they are actively involved in producing a final project. They are self motivated and even work on extra projects at home.

Yes, he does make it exciting for his students, and I too think that he should have some adventures of his own. He is starting to record his own music with Logic Express and Garage Band. I think the iPod Touch will be special for him.

br1anc

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Actually these 6th graders have surpassed all expectations. They are an incredible group. We perform puppet shows, videotape and make DVD's. They have even made their movies specifically for iPods and I have put them on their iPods for them. The best thing is that they are learning a lot and able to retain it because they are actively involved in producing a final project. They are self motivated and even work on extra projects at home.

Yes, he does make it exciting for his students, and I too think that he should have some adventures of his own. He is starting to record his own music with Logic Express and Garage Band. I think the iPod Touch will be special for him.
thats pretty cool. i wish your husband was my teacher in 6th grade :D

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Based on what you have said about him, and the applications he is using, I am sure he will be able to use an iPod Touch.

Sounds like a wonder anniversary present to me... :)

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Just really want to thank you for all your help and advice. I have definitely decided to buy him an iPod Touch for our anniversary and I think that I will buy the 16 GB just to be on the safe side. So does anyone have a suggestion for a case. It would be nice if I could get one that would protect it well and could pretty much be left on most of the time. I think he will enjoy it and I can help him with it if he has any problems with it.

Oh, and trust me, I am the lucky one, he is a remarkable man. As a principal said to me earlier this year, he has taught most of the kids in our city (which is a slight exaggeration) and the ones that haven't had him as a teacher, wanted him as their teacher.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Thanks for the link. The extreme case looks like it would do a nice job protecting and comes with the screen protector. I think for some reason, I like it better than the iSkin. The extreme case looks like it would make it easier to grip the iPod. And since I'll have to check a Wal Mart and if they don't have one in store, I'll be able to order it.

Just saw your post tMac85 and I like the Incase as well. I like the black one the best, I think? So many choices, how do we ever decide what to buy? Heck Apple doesn't even make that many different computers and even if you can decide which one to buy, then you have to worry and wonder about the best time to buy said product. I' hopeless!

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
meh, school should be about papers, books, and pencils, and chalkboards.

Unh huh, and when was the last time the information in a textbook was totally accurate, let alone unbiased? And he has a chalkboard, he even has spelling chalk, math chalk, etc. He can't spell without his spelling, can't do math problems without his math chalk--you get the idea. Of course no one else can tell any differences in the chalk he uses except him, but if he misspells a word, the kids tell him to get his spelling chalk and it works. Go figure. Did I mention that he definitely one of a kind. Oh BTW, he also uses a Smartboard, wireless slates and video streaming. Let's face it the times have changed, we live in a tech world otherwise we wouldn't be on this forum.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.