PDA

View Full Version : Mac repair shops popping champagne after 'eco-friendly' DV...

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Mac repair shops popping champagne after 'eco-friendly' DVD gets stuck in hundreds of Macs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080117222138)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Sayer
Jan 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
Oh the sweet delicious irony of a greenie weenie disc chews up inside a drive.

LOL! Is that a feature or a bug?

shadowfax
Jan 17, 2008, 10:40 PM

I like how they take no responsibility for their "low environmental impact" discs. That's right you jackasses! Your failure to communicate to consumers with proper warning label on a VERY standard-looking disc caused those DVDs to be have the HIGHEST environmental impact of any DVD, ever--consumers not only throw their crap eco-DVD, but they also have to throw away their DVD PLAYERS! nice going, and glad to see you jerks trying to shift blame to someone else.

samh004
Jan 17, 2008, 10:43 PM
Doesn't sound like a particularly useful disc, in fact I'll imagine most of those discs have now ended up in landfills. -1 to the greenies.

nagromme
Jan 17, 2008, 10:49 PM

Much as I HATE when people try to do some good :rolleyes: and delight in calling them names when possible... this isn't from some environmental nonprofit, but from a commercial company. With a clearly flawed product. It is by NO stretch of the imagination an attempt at helping the environment: this is a bunch of throwaway discs sent out with a newspaper. Using the "ecodisc" product was an attempt either to lessen the impact of that waste, or to seem to do so.

In neither case are nonprofits the source of this product. And I assume it's nonprofits who people hate and call "greenie weenies" in the hopes that we can all get back to polluting as much as possible ;)

I'm not sure who benefits when environmental efforts run into roadblocks. But whatever that sweet delicious benefit is... enjoy it, I guess....

Rodimus Prime
Jan 18, 2008, 12:43 AM
and this just goes to show a flaw in slot loaded drives. They are 2 easily jammed up by slightly out of spec DVDs and CDs.

Personally I think this should be a wake up call to Apple and other slot loader makers to put a much wider tolerance in what type of Disk it can handle because lets face it companies are going to make disk that our out of spec and apple computers can not handle them which is going ot lead to a huge mess of problems.

KingYaba
Jan 18, 2008, 06:53 AM
This is kind of funny.

mainstreetmark
Jan 18, 2008, 08:28 AM
and this just goes to show a flaw in slot loaded drives. They are 2 easily jammed up by slightly out of spec DVDs and CDs.

Personally I think this should be a wake up call to Apple and other slot loader makers to put a much wider tolerance in what type of Disk it can handle because lets face it companies are going to make disk that our out of spec and apple computers can not handle them which is going ot lead to a huge mess of problems.

Interesting choice of spelling and punctuation.

A wider slot might be in order, but I generally have no problem. It's the mini CDs that are the trick.

My Powerbook eventually decided to eat CDs. I generally had to stick a knife in there and widen the slot so they would come out on command. Even when I was cursing the drive, I would have taken it over the tray-loading style used by everyone else.

BenRoethig
Jan 18, 2008, 09:36 AM

drawback of slot loading drives

twoodcc
Jan 18, 2008, 09:57 AM
well i feel sorry for those who had a disk stuff in their Macs.

noriyori
Jan 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
HA! this sounds like the perfect Onion headline...

shamino
Jan 18, 2008, 03:43 PM
My Powerbook eventually decided to eat CDs. I generally had to stick a knife in there and widen the slot so they would come out on command. Even when I was cursing the drive, I would have taken it over the tray-loading style used by everyone else.
I will respectfully disagree with you there. I'd much rather have a tray-loading drive on my laptop. That would let me use 3" discs and business-card discs, both of which I find very convenient when I need to give small amounts of data to others.

But that's a matter of personal preference. In any case, Apple should make the slot a bit wider. Car stereos use a wide slot. So does Nintendo's Wii and an old Pioneer drive I used to use in a PC. Discs never get stuck in those drives, regardless of thickness.

Looks are all great and wonderful, but they have to take a back seat to functionality.