Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I have a dual G5 and the loudest noise that comes from it is the hard drive seeking. This computer is super quiet, you can hardly tell its on. The fans only speed up when I render and encode video, but even then it is the quietest thing.

You will not think that it is loud.

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
i have one too. as stated above the thing is ultra quiet. hard drive can be occasionally be heard. fans and really quiet. the drive door is a bit loud, but not much more so than any other drive.
id noise is a concern...dont let it be. the machine is awesome in every respect.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
I was at a store where a 1.6 G5 was set up. It was blasting out a tune and I asked the goon on duty if the computer ran quietly. He turned the music off and I stuck my ear against the G5 and sure enough it was the clichéd "whisper quiet". The thing is though the processor was hardly troubled, only running iTunes and no screen effects. So what happens when its at 100% of CPU ?or is that impossible with a G5?

I call him a goon, because when I asked him what the Mac was running, he stuck his chest out and said, "Its playing iTunes full blast."
Great, they are real work horses those Apple super computers. Id be so reassured not, if I was Steve Jobs, knowing I had such a persuasive sales force out there touting on my behalf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.