Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG728

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
With the new updates on the Apple TV can you buy movies directly from your ATV? I would think this would be essential considering they are selling the ATV saying that "you wont need a computer".

I would like to have the feature if I rent a movie and really like it and want to buy it, or if I'm just sitting on my couch and decided that I want to watch a movie as many times as I want and instead of renting it I would rather own it.

I know you can buy TV shows, so can you buy movies?

Sorry if this is already known I'm new to the board and don''t have a apple TV.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Good question, was wondering the same thing, but I don't believe you can or Steve would have mentioned it.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
The new software update has not been released, but the answer seems to be yes for purchases, but not for rentals. Check back once the update is out.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Even if you can, if you do have a computer, I would recommend purchasing on a computer and syncing or streaming. The reason being that once you fill that hard drive, there probably isn't a simple way of transferring off of the aTV, so you'll have to make some uncomfortable decisions about your content...

Just a thought...

Paul

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
that's a real shame!

Yes, you can buy movies off the AppleTV but not HD movies.

I have a home theatre setup and have enjoyed movie download to my iMac with synch to my AppleTV.

If the studios permit movie rental you would think they would be happy to sell you a HD version.

How HD is the HD. No mention of 1020i or 1020p; or Blu-Ray for that matter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.