PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 1.1.3 Hidden Features, Bluetooth Issues

vrillusions
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
I guess I'll get this started. What has been updated that hasn't been mention in the keynote or in the January '08 update video located here (http://www.apple.com/iphone/gettingstarted/guidedtourupdate2/).

So far I noticed that now when you get an SMS message and hit "close" it will actually ignore the message and you won't see a little "1" next to it.

Slip
Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
Ah you caught me. Mods, can you change it to a more descriptive title.

Had my hopes up :(

redgaz26
Jan 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
anyone know how to get the lyrics???

should have a couple of songs on the phone with them

vrillusions
Jan 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
anyone know how to get the lyrics???

should have a couple of songs on the phone with them

have you tried resyncing all music to it? disable the music sync section, sync, then enable it and sync. Maybe the lyrics get dropped normally, or they get indexed in some special way with the new version. Also may have to get the new version of itunes first.

redgaz26
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
will try that!!!!
very cool update but maps thinks my locations in columbia:confused:
anyone in the uk got this working right?

redgaz26
Jan 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
still no lyrics that i can find
anyone???????????????????

vrillusions
Jan 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
yeah I tried looking for lyrics and can't figure out where they're at (I use the lyrics section for track notes and stuff on mixsets I have).

I noticed after updating to itunes 7.6 there's 189mb of "other" in there that wasn't before.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 15, 2008, 04:10 PM
will try that!!!!

Couldnt find my location?! :confused:

afd
Jan 15, 2008, 04:23 PM
Lyrics work by tapping the album cover when a track is playing.
My location worked for me, although once when I tried it it told me I was in Tenerife, unfortunately when I looked out the window was still in cold, damp, dull Scotland....

Random hero
Jan 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
Couldnt find my location?! :confused:

Im in the UK and it got me to within about 3 miles

honeytoast
Jan 15, 2008, 04:26 PM
manual music management

liketom
Jan 15, 2008, 04:29 PM
mm not sure why i can not get the maps locate thing working ?

any tips

Schmoe0013
Jan 15, 2008, 04:29 PM
from what i saw, if you tap the screen with the album art, the lyrics will show up if they are in your itunes song.

speakerwizard
Jan 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
support for itunes gift cards is new, chapters in movies. loving how accurate locator is (uk)

SilentLoner
Jan 15, 2008, 05:21 PM
yeah I tried looking for lyrics and can't figure out where they're at (I use the lyrics section for track notes and stuff on mixsets I have).

I noticed after updating to itunes 7.6 there's 189mb of "other" in there that wasn't before.

I have got this too. and my google maps isn't working. I am in the north west of england and not got edge coverage.

NitrousFlare
Jan 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
Instead of Ignore/View when you receive a text, it says Close/Reply

speakerwizard
Jan 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
just found out for quicker typing you can touch with one thumb then anouther and lift the first then the second so if your quick and overlap it still registers, the little things :)

kuebby
Jan 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
Instead of Ignore/View when you receive a text, it says Close/Reply

I don't really like this new system, I liked the old one better. That way if I got a text, I could Ignore without having to worry that I hadn't replied because the indicator would still say I have new messages.

SilentLoner
Jan 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
I don't really like this new system, I liked the old one better. That way if I got a text, I could Ignore without having to worry that I hadn't replied because the indicator would still say I have new messages.

I like that, I just want MMS capabability!

NitrousFlare
Jan 15, 2008, 05:39 PM

Oh wow, I just realized that.

That is moderately sucky :(

SilentLoner
Jan 15, 2008, 05:43 PM
will try that!!!!

No not for me I'm annoyed about it too!

eXpress
Jan 15, 2008, 05:47 PM
For me in the same location, Maps has been precisely on at times and a couple miles off at other times. I guess it really depends on the coverage around you. My guess is it would probably work pretty nicely in a big city.

Props to Apple though, I like the Maps update and at least they tried to give us some sort of GPS.

Gondry
Jan 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
is the chapter thumbnail view new on video playback?

Drumjim85
Jan 15, 2008, 06:03 PM

i actually like it ... most of the time i read the message anyways, and then have to into SMS just to clear the number ...

bvledford
Jan 15, 2008, 06:06 PM
the option to manually manage songs and videos is now in the summary screen!!! you can play play songs in itunes straight from the iphone. no more auto syncing to a playlist just drag and drop!

SilentLoner
Jan 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
Why is there nearly 200mb's of "other" data now on my phone?

salimdao
Jan 15, 2008, 06:12 PM
according to Engadget, the 1000 SMS limit has been lifted.

demiurgical
Jan 15, 2008, 06:38 PM
i actually like it ... most of the time i read the message anyways, and then have to into SMS just to clear the number ...

/agree ... I hate having to go clear the "unread" number when I already read it in the pop-up.

~.

mrat93
Jan 16, 2008, 03:25 PM
Two new "features": If you get a new text while the phone is unlocked, the screen turns on and it says "Slide to (View or Read?)" I forgot exactly what it said, sorry. When you have headphones plugged in, and use the side volume buttons, it says "headphones" above the megaphone icon and 16 bars for volume.

ncsmith4
Jan 16, 2008, 06:59 PM

Yeah, and its becoming a pretty big annoynce. I dont like having to interrupt what I do just to reply to a text. And then, if I forgot I got a text, there is no reminder that I have one.

Ive submitted it as a bug to apple.com/feedback

I suggest you do the same.

bc008
Jan 16, 2008, 07:01 PM
Lyrics work by tapping the album cover when a track is playing.
My location worked for me, although once when I tried it it told me I was in Tenerife, unfortunately when I looked out the window was still in cold, damp, dull Scotland....

thanks! i do like lyrics, never thought i would like having them up, but they are cool

Slip
Jan 17, 2008, 04:52 AM
Lyrics looks pretty well implemented, but would be a but annoying in all circumstances apart from sitting down ;)

dejo
Jan 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
Looks like my Gmail labels now show up as folders. And I'm pretty sure my account is still POP.

Drumjim85
Jan 17, 2008, 03:02 PM
Looks like my Gmail labels now show up as folders. And I'm pretty sure my account is still POP.

IMAP always did this .... but if you're pop, then hmm ....

Brotherman00
Jan 17, 2008, 04:11 PM
the option to manually manage songs and videos is now in the summary screen!!! you can play play songs in itunes straight from the iphone. no more auto syncing to a playlist just drag and drop!

I tried manually managing my music and videos with the iPhone after the recent update and I must say it's extremely slow. So slow that I'd rather just go through the pain of syncing the playlists and call it a day. For example the Lost: Season 4 Trailor from iTunes that is less than 2 minutes long took about 30 mins to sync to my iPhone. Another example is a 12 song album took just as long if not longer to sync from iTunes to the iPhone. And in the process iTunes hangs and you can't do anything else on within the app.

Did anyone else experience this or is it just me? Any explanations out there?

I have a 20' Intel based iMac so I know it should have nothing to do with my Mac.

NitrousFlare
Jan 18, 2008, 12:15 AM
I tried manually managing my music and videos with the iPhone after the recent update and I must say it's extremely slow. So slow that I'd rather just go through the pain of syncing the playlists and call it a day. For example the Lost: Season 4 Trailor from iTunes that is less than 2 minutes long took about 30 mins to sync to my iPhone. Another example is a 12 song album took just as long if not longer to sync from iTunes to the iPhone. And in the process iTunes hangs and you can't do anything else on within the app.

I have a 20' Intel based iMac so I know it should have nothing to do with my Mac.

Try using a different USB port...

MacRumors
Jan 18, 2008, 04:07 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Readers in our MacRumors forums, along with some other websites (http://gizmodo.com/346179/iphone-113s-lesser+known-features), are beginning to identify hidden features of the latest iPhone software, released this week. Among them:

- SMS storage capacity bumped to 75,000 (from 1,000)
- Multi-touch keyboard
- Gmail defaults to IMAP
- Manually managing songs

There are also reported bluetooth connectivity bugs, to which a clunky workaround has been found (http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/01/17/fix-for-iphone-113-bluetooth-problems/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/01/18/iphone-1-1-3-hidden-features-bluetooth-issues/)

joejoejoe
Jan 18, 2008, 05:36 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Readers in our MacRumors forums, along with some other websites (http://gizmodo.com/346179/iphone-113s-lesser+known-features), are beginning to identify hidden features of the latest iPhone software, released this week. Among them:

- Multi-touch keyboard
- Gmail defaults to IMAP

There are also reported bluetooth connectivity bugs, to which a clunky workaround has been found (http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/01/17/fix-for-iphone-113-bluetooth-problems/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/01/18/iphone-1-1-3-hidden-features-bluetooth-issues/)

Multi-touch keyboard?

Can you please elaborate?

bmb012
Jan 18, 2008, 06:07 AM
Multitouch Keyboard means you can hold shift with one finger and press a letter with another finger to capitalize it.

WOO! Manually managing music! Actually it's just iTunes 7.6 that's needed, and my lossless to aac script I downloaded forever ago works again!

sneeks
Jan 18, 2008, 06:07 AM
If you keep one finger pressed on the Shift key then press any letter it will remain in Caps mode.

chrispoole
Jan 18, 2008, 06:11 AM
Multi-touch keyboard:

Hold shift and type letters -- appear as capitals.

Press 123 key to type numbers, then hold the +- thingy key and press some other functions then let go... you're back to the number area.

Project
Jan 18, 2008, 06:20 AM

This is so cool.

MarkW19
Jan 18, 2008, 06:59 AM
Two new "features": If you get a new text while the phone is unlocked, the screen turns on and it says "Slide to (View or Read?)" I forgot exactly what it said, sorry. When you have headphones plugged in, and use the side volume buttons, it says "headphones" above the megaphone icon and 16 bars for volume.

Do you mean when the phone ISN'T unlocked? ie. Screen off, text comes and the screen comes on displaying the text? If so, it's always said "Slide to View".

averyash
Jan 18, 2008, 08:20 AM
Is anyone else having either of these two email glitches:

1. Even after reading a message in the mail app (the blue dot next to the email is gone), the front screen still displays the full number of unread emails on the mail icon. A restart is required to correct this.

2. E-mails coming in with nothing in the body and a "This message is only partially downloaded. Download remaining XX.X KB" message at the bottom of the empty message. Note that this number is always very low (7 KB, 11.1 KB, etc.)

Also, the volume change image rotates with you when the screen is turned. Not sute if this is new, but I have only noticed it happening since the update.

MarkW19
Jan 18, 2008, 08:23 AM
Also, the volume change image rotates with you when the screen is turned. Not sute if this is new, but I have only noticed it happening since the update.

Not having your email problems, but the volume image has always rotated when relevant (although, like a pop-up text, it doesn't rotate at the same rate a Safari page does in the background, if you're in Safari, which is ever-so-slightly annoying :)

blindzero
Jan 18, 2008, 08:23 AM

Oh my god. I missed the keynote- They make a 20 Foot Imac now?? J/K.

illitrate23
Jan 18, 2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah, and its becoming a pretty big annoynce. I dont like having to interrupt what I do just to reply to a text. And then, if I forgot I got a text, there is no reminder that I have one.
Ive submitted it as a bug to apple.com/feedback
I suggest you do the same.
No it's not a bug - i much prefer this form of functionality.
it should be an option in the preferences though - that's where the bug lies, in that you can't choose between the two different methods.

MarkW19
Jan 18, 2008, 08:26 AM
No it's not a bug - i much prefer this form of functionality.
it should be an option in the preferences though - that's where the bug lies, in that you can't choose between the two different methods.

Fully agreed. I much prefer this way too, because 95% of the time I have to go back in just to get rid of the message, which often takes (too) many steps!

By the way, has anyone else noticed that when you create and send an SMS, when it goes into its green bubble, it's not quite centred (it's slightly too low), then when you go out of SMS and back in again, its magically centred itself? Strange :)

Brotherman00
Jan 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
Try using a different USB port...

Thanks for the suggestion. Triedd that and it didn't solve me problem. I went through Apple's discussion boards and I was suprised to see that USB issues is a widely complained about problem in regards to iMacs.

Once I get home from work the next step with to do a hard reset of NVRAM or PRAM and see if that solves the problem. Hopefully it does cause one thing I hate the most is having to take my system back to the Apple Store.

:mad:

Cousin Dirk
Jan 18, 2008, 09:42 AM
will try that!!!!

I've had no trouble... I've also found that it provides a much more accurate result if you have WiFi turned on.

Also, I've not noticed any of these hidden features... :eek:

westernmass
Jan 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
FYI - I have not seen this posted about the Lyrics, if you have them they can only be viewed in the vertical mode note horizontal. May sound silly but for about twenty minutes I could not figure out why I could not see the lyrics. I tried over and over to tap the screen and it went to the song list. They realized holding it vertically there they are. DAH.. as you can tell I have never owned an ipod :rolleyes::o:o Just thought I would through it out there.

Wheeze
Jan 18, 2008, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=averyash;4785808]Is anyone else having either of these two email glitches:

1. Even after reading a message in the mail app (the blue dot next to the email is gone), the front screen still displays the full number of unread emails on the mail icon. A restart is required to correct this.

I am having the same issue with e-mail. The mail icon is not clearing when i read the messages

redgaz26
Jan 18, 2008, 11:10 AM
i synced my gmail through itunes and started having the above problems, i then unchecked that box did a resync deleted that account and set it up again through the phone as i used to, now working perfect again.

roland.g
Jan 18, 2008, 11:27 AM
If you keep one finger pressed on the Shift key then press any letter it will remain in Caps mode.

Multi-touch keyboard:

Press 123 key to type numbers, then hold the +- thingy key and press some other functions then let go... you're back to the number area.

You could always hit the shift and slide over to the letter you wanted cap and release, same with #'s/symbols (which would then auto revert back to the abc screen). Not sure how much faster the two thumb/finger method might be but the shift-slide-release always worked well for me.

Lyrics - I wanted to see this in action but noticed that I don't think I have any. It doesn't seem that any iTunes purchased songs include them. I used getinfo on my iTunes for purchased songs and checked the lyrics tab, not there. And obviously I don't expect them for my ripped CDs unless somehow that info is coming in from the Gracenote CDDB Database.

Is there a function in iTunes now like get artwork for lyrics to pull them from the iTunes store, or a dashboard widget or other 3rd party script that does this. I would be worried that iTunes might grab the wrong lyrics as I have seen it grab the wrong artwork. With approx. 8000 songs that is a lot of lyrics to import one way or another. Hardly seems worth it.

dejo
Jan 18, 2008, 11:51 AM
IMAP always did this .... but if you're pop, then hmm ....
Looks like my account may have been converted to use IMAP.
http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/17/gmail.and.iphone.113/

AtrocityExhibit
Jan 18, 2008, 11:59 AM

I do not see this option on my summary page.. :(

megfilmworks
Jan 18, 2008, 12:08 PM
Is there a function in iTunes now like get artwork for lyrics to pull them from the iTunes store, or a dashboard widget or other 3rd party script that does this. I would be worried that iTunes might grab the wrong lyrics as I have seen it grab the wrong artwork. With approx. 8000 songs that is a lot of lyrics to import one way or another. Hardly seems worth it.

I use a widget called "Sing that iTune!" available on Apples's widget pages.

Cudadown
Jan 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Triedd that and it didn't solve me problem. I went through Apple's discussion boards and I was suprised to see that USB issues is a widely complained about problem in regards to iMacs.

Once I get home from work the next step with to do a hard reset of NVRAM or PRAM and see if that solves the problem. Hopefully it does cause one thing I hate the most is having to take my system back to the Apple Store.

:mad:

1st ten iPods came with FireWire included and a cradle. Is firewire not usable anymore?

AtrocityExhibit
Jan 18, 2008, 12:27 PM
after making my previous post, stating that i did not have the option to manually manage songs, i realized my itunes was not updated. (I updated my new iphone software on my girlfriend's computer). So I updated and installed the newest itunes and now itunes wont even recognize my iphone is connected. Anyone have any suggestions?

question fear
Jan 18, 2008, 01:13 PM
1st ten iPods came with FireWire included and a cradle. Is firewire not usable anymore?

iPods have not been firewire compatible since the video ipod I believe.

StuPidQPid
Jan 18, 2008, 01:33 PM
Oh my god. I missed the keynote- They make a 20 Foot Imac now?? J/K.

Does it also have a volume control that goes up to 11? :)

onoble
Jan 18, 2008, 01:55 PM
any custom ringtone workarounds for this, I tried the ones for the older versions of software and they were not successful.

kjiphone
Jan 18, 2008, 02:06 PM
I use a widget called "Sing that iTune!" available on Apples's widget pages.

I don't have a mac, can you cut and paste lyrics into get info? I can't seem to get it to work.

seaofshame
Jan 18, 2008, 02:20 PM

Yes, finally!

westernmass
Jan 18, 2008, 02:33 PM
I don't have a mac, can you cut and paste lyrics into get info? I can't seem to get it to work.

Yes you can. I have a pc to and you find the lyrics and open info and go to the lyrics tap and paste them in. Then click (at work can't remeber) OK or save something along those lines. If you don't t won't. Again make sure when you sync and the play the albumn on the phone you are holding in the vertical position not horizontal as that will not work. They should be there. I hope to find something that will work easier the cut and past with PC. I KNOW, I KNOW get a MAC. :) I am working on it. :D

LumbermanSVO
Jan 18, 2008, 02:39 PM
I did the iTunes/iPhone update in Winnemucca, Nv on the truck stop WiFi. There is no EDGE in Winnemucca.

The first thing I tested, and have been testing since, is the locate me feature. Obviously you need some ford of data connection for this to work. Here are my results so far:

In Winnemucca it put me at the hotel next to the Flying J, I was at the Flying J.

US-95 north from Winnemucca through Oregon to the US-95/ID-55 junction I got EDGE most of the way but it put my location at Jordan Valley, Or the whole way.

From the US-95/ID-55 JCT I too I-84 to I-80. It was within a hundred yards or so the whole way with a few EDGE drop outs along the way.

It is a pretty well known fact that Wyoming sucks as far as data connections go. I got a connection in Rawling and the location was within a few feet. No more EDGE from there to Denver. It has been about 1/4 mile off each time I've tried it in Denver.

I'll do more testing over the next few weeks.

raccoontail
Jan 18, 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm still frustrated that we can now rearrange the "youtube" and "calculator" icons, add web links to the home screen, view song lyrics, but still can't put the contacts button on the home screen. Anyone find a way to do this yet? It's the most frustrating part of the iPhone's interface.

If I want someone's address I have to:
1) Wakeup/unlock the phone
2) press phone
3) press contacts
4) press "back" from who ever I viewed recently
5) find the contacts

There has got to be an easier way.... how about a button on the home screen that always took you to the alphabetized list of contacts?

mingisback
Jan 18, 2008, 03:13 PM

- Multi-touch keyboard
- Gmail defaults to IMAP

Manually managing songs is NOT a feature of the 1.1.3 iPhone firmware but actually a feature of the new iTunes 7.6 software.

I'm running a hacked 1.1.2 iPhone and as soon as I updated to iTunes 4.7 the option for manually managing my music on the phone was there.

chr1s60
Jan 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
I'm still frustrated that we can now rearrange the "youtube" and "calculator" icons, add web links to the home screen, view song lyrics, but still can't put the contacts button on the home screen. Anyone find a way to do this yet? It's the most frustrating part of the iPhone's interface.

2) press phone
3) press contacts
5) find the contacts

There has got to be an easier way.... how about a button on the home screen that always took you to the alphabetized list of contacts?

My God, that sounds horrible. ;) If you set the double clicking of the home button to your favorites, you can eliminate steps for certain people.

I tried the bluetooth fix and it worked. Hopefully it will continue to work or Apple will release a fix because restoring all the time will suck.

mikeytrend
Jan 18, 2008, 03:56 PM
The most annoying bug of all has also been fixed.
When you leave the timer screen, the timer no long defaults to Marimba!
You can now sleep your iPod and go back to the home screen or whatever and not worry about it changing to an alarm.

Consultant
Jan 18, 2008, 05:08 PM

2) press phone
3) press contacts
5) find the contacts

YOU CAN SET HOME BUTTON to contacts via double tap or variation.

lamar777
Jan 18, 2008, 06:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Caution new feature!

Over this upcoming weekend use caution when inviting friends to your MLK BBQ because the iPhone will correct your spelling of MLK and you will inadvertently invite your friends to a KKK BBQ!

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 18, 2008, 07:56 PM
haha i got that same error when typing mlk

thirdeyeopen666
Jan 18, 2008, 09:55 PM

Manually managing is a feature new to iTunes 7.6, not the 1.1.3 firmware. I haven't updated from 1.1.2 yet, but have the option working after updating to the newest iTunes. I find that it actually seems to transfer large files faster... may just be my imagination though.

mike12806
Jan 18, 2008, 10:16 PM
how about the fact that when you reply to a text, your reply appears above the message in the conversation bubbles? ANNOYING!

bennifer3000
Jan 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
I don't know if this has been posted but now when you have headphones plugged in, it will say "headphone" where it said "ringer".

There are a couple little quirks like that too.

wtrinsp
Jan 18, 2008, 11:24 PM
How to set up windows parallel to use usb ports with out unpluging each time you go back to mac & windows.

mister-ryanhead
Jan 19, 2008, 03:23 PM
I've noticed that Mobile Safari will now load pages in background "tabs" while you are viewing a page in your current "tab".

In previous versions of the firmware it seemed that Safari would only load data in your current "tab," (and background "tabs" were put on hold and didn't continue loading until you switched to them). But I noticed just this morning that I could load several different tabs simultaneously (which is great if you're surfing on EDGE to multiple sites, as you can load stuff in the background while you're reading content on another "tab").

Not sure if this was the case for 1.1.2, but I don't think it was.

millerrh
Jan 20, 2008, 03:29 AM
how about the fact that when you reply to a text, your reply appears above the message in the conversation bubbles? ANNOYING!

I noticed this too. What's the point of the conversation bubbles if they don't keep the conversation in the correct order?

ncsmith4
Jan 20, 2008, 05:14 AM
SERIOUSLY!

Tonight was a disaster (in part) because of this... haha.

Project
Jan 20, 2008, 07:09 AM
I've noticed that Mobile Safari will now load pages in background "tabs" while you are viewing a page in your current "tab".

In previous versions of the firmware it seemed that Safari would only load data in your current "tab," (and background "tabs" were put on hold and didn't continue loading until you switched to them). But I noticed just this morning that I could load several different tabs simultaneously (which is great if you're surfing on EDGE to multiple sites, as you can load stuff in the background while you're reading content on another "tab").

Not sure if this was the case for 1.1.2, but I don't think it was.

FINALLY!

Thanks for this.

kuebby
Jan 20, 2008, 08:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I love the new background loading, and the headphone/ringer notation for volume, they're those great little things that make Apple Apple.

projectle
Jan 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
The great little things that makes Apple Apple is the stuff like stating that using third party software on your iPhone invalidates your Hardware warranty because of the possibility of "irreparable damage to software".

dejo
Jan 21, 2008, 11:56 PM
Over this upcoming weekend use caution when inviting friends to your MLK BBQ because the iPhone will correct your spelling of MLK and you will inadvertently invite your friends to a KKK BBQ!
My iPhone is not trying to correct "mlk" although it did suggest "BBQ" for bbq.

kaeckisthename
Jan 22, 2008, 09:24 AM
my Maps "location" is accurate within 3-4 blocks, pretty impressive!:D

joseph2166
Jan 22, 2008, 10:28 AM
Im in the UK and it got me to within about 3 miles

Same - although now I'm back in london it gets me towithin a couple of hundred meters or better (maybe the WiFi thing? - it got the same accuracy on my Dad's Touch). Was on the train the ohter day and tried it a few times - worked every time (to a few miles) even in the countryside.

mister-ryanhead
Jan 22, 2008, 11:22 AM
Another goodie I just noticed - not sure if this is a firmware 1.1.3 thing or an iTunes 7.6 thing (though I would lean towards it being iTunes)...

You can now sync photos from subscribed albums in iPhoto with your iPhone. You used to only be able to sync albums that are local on your Mac. Nifty!

A great usage I've found for this is subscribing to my Flickr feed in iPhoto - now I can have my recent Flickr images (or anyone else's for that matter) on my iPhone.

infamous
Jan 28, 2008, 01:53 AM
Hmm... instructive

jeffmc
Jan 28, 2008, 08:03 AM
iPods have not been firewire compatible since the video ipod I believe.

any ipod will CHARGE via firewire, but you will not be able to transfer data on modern ipods
be VERY careful charging your iphone with firewire

but to stay on topic... the screen now rotates 360 degrees with the accelerometer. before it wouldn't allow the screen to turn entirely upside down

jimmysalg
Jan 31, 2008, 04:07 PM
To my surprise I have been roaming around south america and the location service has worked in both Brazil and Venezuela.

NitrousFlare
Feb 1, 2008, 12:15 AM
I noticed this too. What's the point of the conversation bubbles if they don't keep the conversation in the correct order?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/01/29/apple-posts-a-fix-for-iphone-1-1-3-sms-ordering-problem/

ferarri1993
Feb 1, 2008, 09:13 PM
i have a 1.1.3 jailbroken iphone that i upgraded from 1.1.2 otb

i found out that when you use nate's upgrade, it doesnt upgrade the bootloader, it only upgrades the firmware, that is why the google maps locator doesnt work, try to use locateme or navizon they work prety well locateme works better, but you have to add a source

so if you want locator to work, you will have to give up the jailbreak

the choice is yours, if you didnt use the jailbreak, then you might not be in your providers network, you could be using a 3rd party tower that is registered with your provider

good luck

nomar383
Feb 2, 2008, 02:46 AM
but to stay on topic... the screen now rotates 360 degrees with the accelerometer. before it wouldn't allow the screen to turn entirely upside down

Mine wont turn upside down in safari, what will it turn upside down for you in?

vrillusions
Feb 3, 2008, 08:22 PM
Photos.

Mine did that for a while. I'd like to say from the very beginning but not 100% sure. I just remember that was alway part of my "let me show you the cool stuff the iphone does in 30 seconds" when I first got it :)

genshi
Feb 3, 2008, 08:56 PM

Mine did that for a while. I'd like to say from the very beginning but not 100% sure. I just remember that was alway part of my "let me show you the cool stuff the iphone does in 30 seconds" when I first got it :)

Yep, from the very beginning it was able to rotate photos upside down. That was the very first thing I checked when I got my iPhone on iDay because I was curious about that.

amacisbetter
Feb 3, 2008, 09:25 PM
I wonder when they will add MMS functionality. I send and receive picture messages all the time. I occasionally send and receive video messages as well. For a phone that is all about media, no MMS support really undermines that.:rolleyes:

Aries326
Feb 4, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'd like for SMS to go into some type of holding pattern and be automatically sent when there is signal. Sometimes I don't reply to my messages right away and when I do, there's no signal. I still have to go back and try to resend the message. Most of the time, I forget to go back and resend the message when I get to some place with signal. It's a basic feature for SMS to go into the outbox until it is sent. At least my L7 had it. I hope Apple fixes this. Maybe make the bubble a different color - red maybe and then have it turn green after it has been sent.

SilentLoner
Feb 4, 2008, 02:29 AM
I'd like for SMS to go into some type of holding pattern and be automatically sent when there is signal. Sometimes I don't reply to my messages right away and when I do, there's no signal. I still have to go back and try to resend the message. Most of the time, I forget to go back and resend the message when I get to some place with signal. It's a basic feature for SMS to go into the outbox until it is sent. At least my L7 had it. I hope Apple fixes this. Maybe make the bubble a different color - red maybe and then have it turn green after it has been sent.

That's a good idea.

Consultant
Feb 4, 2008, 10:12 AM

Good idea, you should send to www.apple.com/feedback

mrJnC
Feb 4, 2008, 10:18 AM
1.1.3 appears to have broken the previous ability to play iPod audio thru bluetooth connected devices. :(

buffettfan33
Feb 6, 2008, 02:38 PM

Yeah, this is also really important for emergency situations. Since 9/11 when people had trouble making calls from their cell because of the towers being overloaded, I've read a couple of articles that have advised people to send a text message instead, because most phones put the text on "hold" until the next available signal. Also better because texts put less of a strain on the network, leaving the cell towers more available for emergency responders. Definitely something Apple needs to implement!

Also would be nice for when I'm on the Metro and don't have a signal... :D

cleanflix
Feb 7, 2008, 12:12 PM
I've scanned through 5 pages of posts and I don't see anything about bluetooth.

jeffmc
Feb 7, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yep, from the very beginning it was able to rotate photos upside down. That was the very first thing I checked when I got my iPhone on iDay because I was curious about that.

for real? my 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 phone will go normal, widescreen left, widescreen right but not completely upside down. i know everyone at the apple store in cambridge had the same thing until 1.1.3

tomjleeds
Feb 7, 2008, 05:40 PM

This definitely needs implementing - I've had far more than my fair share of phones and this is the first one in at least three or four years which hasn't provided this functionality.

Plus, what's with the (still) crippled Bluetooth, Apple? I mean, I don't want every single profile, but no way to send files to other devices? Come on!

ewxlt
Feb 7, 2008, 06:03 PM
I wonder when they will add MMS functionality. I send and receive picture messages all the time. I occasionally send and receive video messages as well. For a phone that is all about media, no MMS support really undermines that.:rolleyes:

YES! having to go ATT site to see MMS messages sucks!

megapopular
Feb 9, 2008, 04:10 PM
We need to be able to edit/add the contact list while on a phone call. Apple has that feature locked out for some reason. I've also needed to add contact info or give somebody a recent or missed phone number and I can't even do it while I'm on a phone call. I hope it's something they can easily add and I'm surprised that they haven't!! I did send Apple feedback concerning the issue.

mac man 007
Feb 11, 2008, 04:59 AM
Is it possible to recieve/send music or video's from the iPhone's bluetooth capability ??

SilentLoner
Feb 11, 2008, 05:03 AM
Is it possible to recieve/send music or video's from the iPhone's bluetooth capability ??

No I dont think so.

lukehaze
Feb 19, 2008, 06:43 AM
How do you get chapters for the movies? is it just the iTunes rented movies or can you add the chapters to your own video??

lukehaze
Feb 19, 2008, 06:47 AM
I've scanned through 5 pages of posts and I don't see anything about bluetooth.

the problem is that there is no bluetooth... really except when talking on the phone. What about playing music through it, sending/recieving media through bluetooth. Is this version of bluetooth/or is the iPhone capable of doing this by a firmware/software update?