PDA

View Full Version : Greenpeace lauds 'the rest of us'

MacBytes
Jan 18, 2008, 07:40 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Greenpeace lauds 'the rest of us' (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080118084039)
Description:: Backhanded praise for Apple, quibble over MacBook Air

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

numlock
Jan 18, 2008, 07:48 AM
Looks to be heading in the right direction and apple will be the better company for it.

me_94501
Jan 18, 2008, 01:25 PM
From the article:

The MacBook Air has less PVC and BFRs than other Mac computers, but it is not entirely free from those hazardous chemicals. Had it been it would have made Apple an ecological leader.

Uh...how would they know? They can't even get their hands on a MacBook Air yet. :confused:

EDIT: Never mind, the MacBook Air specs page notes the PVC-free wiring but mentions nothing about the motherboard itself. I think Jobs mentioned that it was BFR-free though. *shrugs*

shamino
Jan 18, 2008, 03:46 PM
Greenpeace won't be happy until Apple goes out of business.

They spend all this time and effort slamming Apple, even when they bend over backwards to be eco-friendly, and yet they say nothing about all the other computer makers, who are just as a bad, if not worse.

When was the last time you saw Greenpeace buying full-page ads slamming Dell, HP, Lenovo or Sony?

PlaceofDis
Jan 18, 2008, 03:48 PM

They spend all this time and effort slamming Apple, even when they bend over backwards to be eco-friendly, and yet they say nothing about all the other computer makers, who are just as a bad, if not worse.

When was the last time you saw Greenpeace buying full-page ads slamming Dell, HP, Lenovo or Sony?

they only slam apple because they're so 'high' profile and because people assume that apple would be greener probably because of the 'think different' ads in the past and such.

Daveoc64
Jan 18, 2008, 07:04 PM

Greenpeace's main environmental publications do compare other makers of consumer electronics, but they see Apple in a similar way to most Mac fans - a company willing to things differently.

They therefore believe that out of all the companies they complain about Apple is the most likely to respond in a serious way - which is starting to happen.

The huge success of the iPod has given Apple a wider audience, so that also contributes to the aims of Greenpeace.

Companies like Dell and Sony have been criticised by Greenpeace, but they don't get much attention from the press because they aren't Apple.

MikeTheC
Jan 18, 2008, 07:50 PM
Greenpeace can go [fill in the blank]. They're a bunch of greedy, spite-ridden contemptuous spotlight-hogging terrorists, and I resent any implication of them having any sort of accord or association with my affairs, no matter how tangentially.

:eek: :mad:

shamino
Jan 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
Greenpeace's main environmental publications do compare other makers of consumer electronics, but they see Apple in a similar way to most Mac fans - a company willing to things differently.
A one-line mention in a members-only magazine is not the same full-page advertisements in the New York Times, world-wide press releases and other global media campaigns.

I'll ask you again: when was the last time you saw them organize a global campaign against Dell or Sony or HP?

numlock
Jan 20, 2008, 12:20 PM
they only slam apple because they're so 'high' profile and because people assume that apple would be greener probably because of the 'think different' ads in the past and such.

apple is treated no differently than other hight profile companies in the electronics/technology sector.

Go read up on previous and recent reports and see other companies criticized for not having goals to improve and then not living up to their goals (dell is one example)

To think that apple is being mistreated or ostracized is delusional.

I'll ask you again: when was the last time you saw them organize a global campaign against Dell or Sony or HP?

do those companies rank below apple on gps list?

And it isnt a campaign against. its a campaign asking/wanting/demanding a change. the goal isnt to put apple out of business but to get apple to improve their ways, which btw they seem they are willing to do. And they get praise for their improvement

ReanimationLP
Jan 20, 2008, 12:24 PM
I dont understand why anyone even listens to GreenPeace.

Nothing but a bunch of morons if you ask me.

Daveoc64
Jan 20, 2008, 05:15 PM
A one-line mention in a members-only magazine is not the same full-page advertisements in the New York Times, world-wide press releases and other global media campaigns.

Their main campaign covers all of the major tech companies worldwide - Microsoft, Apple , Sony, Dell, HP, Nintendo, Nokia etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/27/greepeace-posts-latest-guide-to-greener-electronics-sony-ericss/

Like I said, Greenpeace sees Apple as a company willing to do something different - which is what has made it so successful.

The other companies will not care as much, Nintendo gave a pretty frosty response to the last campaign update.