Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbross

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
This is a basic question that I'm sure can be answered easily but I found no answer on the Apple site. I'm new to the Ipod/Apple world.

I have two computers, a home computer and a computer at work. Both PCs, both running Windows XP. My Outlook Calendar and Contact list is on my work computer. My music collection is on my home computer.

Any problem syncing from both machines and keeping the info separate? I don't want to have duplicate copies (I don't want my calendar and contacts on my home machine and vice versa for music on my work machine).

Thanks in advance.

laokai

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
That's more or less the same situation that I am in, and it seems to be working fine so far (I've only had mine for a few days). Just make sure to set your Touch for a manual sync---there is a checkbox for this in iTunes when it is showing the status of your Touch. So long as you do manual sync, it won't move things around w/o your choosing to do so. Besides, I don't think that you can actually move your music to your work PC through the Touch---it can't upload songs to a computer w/o a hack of some sort.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
To take this question a step further, can you enter an calendar items (or contacts) on your work PC, sync to your iPod, then sync the iPod to your home PC without issues?

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
To take this question a step further, can you enter an calendar items (or contacts) on your work PC, sync to your iPod, then sync the iPod to your home PC without issues?

I just installed iTunes 7.7 at work and tried syncing with my Outlook calendar. In the past this created a huge mess. (I sync with my home iCal calendar every day.) With the iTunes upgrade iTunes created new calendars in my Outlook account to match all the calendars that I have at home in iCal and it synced items to the correct calendars. I have not yet had a chance to sync at home to see if everything is still okay but I am quite encouraged at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.