PDA

View Full Version : firewire target mode

jelloshotsrule
Oct 14, 2003, 04:38 PM
so, i have 2 towers (g5 and g4)... and i want to use fw target mode for transferring of files....

inside the g4 there are two hard drives... when i set it up in target mode only one of them is seen.... any way to control which one is seen besides just taking one out?

thanks

Kwyjibo
Oct 14, 2003, 04:48 PM
why not jsut network them and if your files are that big leave them overnight to transfer thats been my methodo f choice for the most part or try the ip over firewire stuff

jelloshotsrule
Oct 14, 2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
why not jsut network them and if your files are that big leave them overnight to transfer thats been my methodo f choice for the most part or try the ip over firewire stuff

well i'm talking about 3D/video stuff... so it's pretty huge.

and i need it sooner than tomorrow... well 'need' is relative i guess. hah

but yeah, ip overfirewire could work... main thing was trying to get my 2 displays on one machine while i was copying

rower found a doc about it for anyone else who's interested...

Note 1 : FireWire Target Disk Mode works on internal ATA drives only. Target Disk Mode only connects to the master ATA drive on the Ultra ATA bus. It will not connect to Slave ATA, ATAPI or SCSI drives

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

yamabushi
Oct 14, 2003, 06:50 PM
An external drive might be an option.

el_aarono
Oct 14, 2003, 09:06 PM
At work I transfer files between various macs, but they are all on the same network. I bet if you connected your macs with an ethernet cable this would work though.

In the System prefs Sharing pane turn Personal File Sharing on. Then from the Go menu in the Finder select Connect to Server and browse the Local folder. You should see the other mac as a server. Select it, enter your password, and it should show up on your desktop. You can choose to access either a User folder or the entire hard drive.

This works for me and transfers the files very quickly.

Hope this helps.:)

whocares
Oct 15, 2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
but yeah, ip overfirewire could work...

Don't both machines have 1000 Ethernet? Shoudn't that be faster than FW?