PDA

View Full Version : Can MBA play HD video?

iWizzard
Jan 18, 2008, 08:51 AM
Is Macbook air powerful enough to play x264 720P and even 1080p?

And does the DVI port even support 1920 x 1200 output?

Eidorian
Jan 18, 2008, 08:52 AM
It's faster then most Mac minis and has single link DVI output.

Catch
Jan 18, 2008, 09:20 AM
I don't see why the MBA would not be able to play back HDM at 1080p on a 50"+ screens. IT supports larger resolutions than 1080p as it supports the 23" CD.

What are you planning on watching? Clips or full 1080p movies? If you consider that a BD can hold up to 50GB of data, the MBA HD will probably not even hold the contents of even 1 full disc with software and OSX also on the drive. Especially so for the SSD version...

If you are talking about HD movies off the iTunes then absolutely. Thats what it screams out to be used for.

As a sidenote, I really wish that apple would stop pushing highly compressed downloadable HD movies. Once you watch HD movies in full 1080p on a 1080p screen with DTS HD MA, there really is no gong back!

Regards,

C

iWizzard
Jan 18, 2008, 09:40 AM
I just wanted to get a feeling for how powerful it was, I do not plan to buy a new computer for at maybe a year. Sadly I still use a PC :(

DannyBres
Jan 18, 2008, 09:50 AM
I don't see why the MBA would not be able to play back HDM at 1080p on a 50"+ screens. IT supports larger resolutions than 1080p as it supports the 23" CD.

What are you planning on watching? Clips or full 1080p movies? If you consider that a BD can hold up to 50GB of data, the MBA HD will probably not even hold the contents of even 1 full disc with software and OSX also on the drive. Especially so for the SSD version...

If you are talking about HD movies off the iTunes then absolutely. Thats what it screams out to be used for.

As a sidenote, I really wish that apple would stop pushing highly compressed downloadable HD movies. Once you watch HD movies in full 1080p on a 1080p screen with DTS HD MA, there really is no gong back!

Regards,

C

i didnt think you could download HD movies form itunes i thiouhgt that was only available on apple tv!

Catch
Jan 18, 2008, 09:54 AM
i didnt think you could download HD movies form itunes i thiouhgt that was only available on apple tv!

No thats what the keynote was about. They are putting HD content on the iTunes store. I think it will be more like 720p than 1080p though. Having said that I have not looked into it as I have a typically poor UK net provider, and I also collect movies so like to own the disc.

The Apple TV is what Steve hopes you will be using to stream those iTunes purchases. :)

Regards,

C

Eidorian
Jan 18, 2008, 09:54 AM
i didnt think you could download HD movies form itunes i thiouhgt that was only available on apple tv!There are many other sources for HD video on and offline for your computer.

Catch
Jan 18, 2008, 09:58 AM

Actually you are correct on the download... you have to rent them. My mistake.

C

Consultant
Jan 18, 2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, MBA can play HD, even the older MacBook Core Duo can play HD video.

HD videos can be compressed down to 5 to 10gb and still look similar to uncompressed HD video.

DOUGHNUT
Jan 18, 2008, 11:50 AM
Actually you are correct on the download... you have to rent them. My mistake.

C

actually the HD content isn't just limited to download only. it is limited to :apple:tv. You can't rent it on a Mac through iTunes

Catch
Jan 18, 2008, 11:56 AM
actually the HD content isn't just limited to download only. it is limited to :apple:tv. You can't rent it on a Mac through iTunes

wow... that makes it even less valuable to me than I previously thought. Are you saying that I cannot watch a downloaded/rented movie on my MBA in say a hotel room at all?

C

EDIT: Apologies to the OP, I just realized this is totally off topic