PDA

View Full Version : Apple Survey? Possible spam/scam??

Iconocat
Oct 14, 2003, 05:42 PM
I figured this might be the best place to get some 'expert' feedback. :)

I just received an "Apple Survey" in my email. For those who like details, I'll post the email below, but it's basically just a link to an external site conducting some sort of survey. The email reads as if it's coming from Apple but in reality is being conducted by some company called Cooper Roberts Research. Their website was VERY amateur and there was no mention of any of their clients by name.

My thoughts are this is some company fronting for Apple, and if that's true I didn't know whether I should write Apple and let them know someone was conducting this "research" using their name or does anyone think this is legit?

I know it sounds kind of banal and probably pretty arbitrary, but I'm just think it's pretty stupid to pretend you are of any affiliation w/ Apple if you're not. If it were MS, I could care less!! :) I'd never post an email about spam, but this just bugged me.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along to see if anyone has anything to say...

Date: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:19:57 PM America/Montreal
To: [my email address]
Subject: Apple Computer Survey

Dear Apple customer:

At Apple Computer, we are continually striving to learn more about you so we can provide products and services that best meet your needs. To this end, we have developed a brief online survey in which we'd like you to participate. It should take you about 15 minutes to
complete.

Simply click on the link below to take part in the survey. And, as our way of thanking you for your participation, you will be given the opportunity to enter into a sweepstakes to win a $500 cash prize or one of five $100 cash prizes.

To begin the survey, please go to:

http://v2.decipherinc.com/survey/crb/qbmacpr?source=35142075

Your friends at Apple Computer

*To see the official sweepstake rules, go to: http://v2.decipherinc.com/survey/crb/qbmacpr/rules.html

We respect the personal nature of e-mail communication. If you do not wish to receive e-mail from us in the future, please click here:

http://v2.decipherinc.com/survey/remove?ex=[my email address]

rainman::|:|
Oct 14, 2003, 05:56 PM
decipher inc. is a market research firm that Apple apparently hired to do surveys (or, a competitor hired them, but they couldn't claim to be affiliated with Apple, legally)... most likely, they're just shoring up a demographic analysis of Apple's current/recent customers, both to improve the demographic spread and to help cater to their existing customers.

ah, marketing.

edit: i'll point out that i'm in marketing, and i don't think i've ever seen such a poor blast survey. or website.

pnw

Iconocat
Oct 14, 2003, 06:24 PM
Ok that makes sense... I wouldn't have really questioned it so much if it didn't seem to have such a poor website affiliated with it and didn't seem so... well, phony!

Thanks again! :)