Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I Sold LISA's

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I love everything about the iPod Touch, except . . . . . it does not have GPS. Does anybody see Apple adding GPS in the next generation?

There is a feature on the iPod touch which locates the device using WiFi connections, however, this would not work while driving. Also, I cannot imagine this WiFi feature being as accurate as Global Positioning System that uses sattelites.

I want an iPod Touch (badly) that can also be used as a GPS navigator type of device. I really do not care for the iPhone, because I am very contented with my current Verizon Phone and Verizon service. btw, the iPhone also does not have GPS.

Why is GPS not one of the features on the iPod Touch?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Because adding a GPS chip and antenna would increase the size of the device substantially.

Because the GPS chip would consume a significant amount of battery life.

Because GPS reception only works well outdoors, is affected by overcast conditions, and tall buildings such as when walking downtown. In these situations, or when indoors, the wifi or cell-tower locators are just about as accurate. (While the SiRfStar III chipset in my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx can acquire lock inside my office -- an amazing feat as far as GPS antennas go -- the accuracy in here is only down to about 200 meters, or 600 feet.)

A GPS satellite lock could take upwards of 30-60 seconds from a cold start.

It would be great to see a GPS add-on for the dock connector. I picture one with a sled that the iPod or iPhone would dock into, which would include the battery and antenna. I'd love to use one for geocaching.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I don't see the new map feature as a replacement for my Garmin Nuvi. I'm not sure that the map feature will really provide any value to me.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
There's been rumors/photos of some GPS dongles in development. A little device that plugs into the dock port of your touch and adds GPS. Coupled with some good mapping software that loads maps onto your touch directly and a decent price (and a pass through antenna port so you could use it in your car reliably) it could certainly be a fantastic product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.