PDA

View Full Version : dualcore 2.3 power mac memory problem

craigosh
Jan 18, 2008, 01:37 PM
Hi guys, first post and its probably a daft one but...

I bought some more ram for my Dualcore 2.3 Powermac, its Elixir 1GB pc5300 non-ECC. I bought it cause it was on offer at a local shop and when i was looking at upgrades on crucial they said that my machine would handle pc5300 but down grade it.

Only thing is that it appears to have downgraded to pc3200!! Is this right? Am i gonna notice some problems with that?

This is what the Profiler says

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: PC2-3200U-288

I bought 4gb worth, it was only 11 per strip and i needed more so it seemed a good deal!!

Should i take it back or is it gonna be ok?

Cheers for the advice

Craig

craigosh
Jan 21, 2008, 06:54 PM
Come on guys anyone got an answer????? :confused: :(

CanadaRAM
Jan 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
Welcome to MR

Nag posts don't help, and bumping is against the forum rules.

Your System Profile says PC2-3200 because that is the value written into the RAM's SPD EPROM, and what the RAM reports back to the Mac OS. It doesn't necessarily mean that the RAM is running at 400 MHz (although it might be). What it does mean is that it is cheap RAM where the maker didn't bother to write the SPD's correctly, OR that it is actually 400 MHz RAM relabelled as 667.. No real way to tell.

Your machine actually requires DDR2-533 RAM (PC2-4200) memory.

Up to you, if it were me I would take it back and get some RAM that is guaranteed to be correctly programmed.

craigosh
Jan 22, 2008, 03:13 AM
Cheers for the reply. Ok might take it back, see what the shop says. All the apps seem to have good speed though.

Only bumped the thread as it had been sat there 3 days with no replys :D

Lord Zedd
Jan 22, 2008, 05:49 AM
Ditto with returning the memory. Double check the stickers on the ram sticks and make sure it is what you thought it should be.

California
Oct 18, 2008, 04:01 AM
Sorry to bump this thread but having the exact same problem on my Powermac dual core 2.0 late 2005.

Installed four new chips that are reporting PC2 3200u and PC2 3200-288 instead of PC2 4200.

Yet the system reports I've got four gigs (the right amount) of ram running?

Does this affect performance or will it hurt my Powermac?