Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2006
I know the VMWare vs. Parallels has been kind of beat to death but I might as well give it a few more kicks.

To sum it up shortly:
I purchased a new 8-core mac pro (currently 2gb of ram, will upgrade to 4+, 2.8ghz, 8800gt). I intend to install XP on it with boot camp to run games, but I do currently use windows for some apps under OS X:

*Does VMWare support utlization of just 2 cores or any number of cores?

*For people that have tried both, is VMware faster? (my experience on a mac mini with a converted parallels drive was that vmware was much slower)

*Which one is better in terms of activation with a boot camp partition? VMWare = 2 activations, Parallels = one, is that correct?

*Can I install XP on it's own DRIVE and not partition? If so, does this still work fine with VmWare/Parallels?

*Does anyone think Vista 32 or 64-bit (I have both lying around) would be a better choice? Do those even run in VMware or Parallels ok?

Decided to go with bullet questions instead of long paragraphs. Any answers are appreciated, and my apologies bringing up some repeat issues, but wanted to get them all centered around the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.