PDA

View Full Version : Combo drive in 1GHz 12"PB ... brand/model???

Abraxsis
Oct 14, 2003, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know, or know where to find, the model/brand of the optical drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM), in the new 1GHz 12" Powerbooks???

QCassidy352
Oct 14, 2003, 08:03 PM
it's in the system profiler...

but to save you the time, the vendor is MAT****A, with a product identification number of: CD-RW CW-8122.

ahaha, the obscenity filter didn't like the name of the vendor. :eek: to clarify, the name is MATS HITA, with no space between the s and the h. how funny. :)

Abraxsis
Oct 14, 2003, 09:04 PM
OK thanks for the input. Now does anyone know if this drive is +R/+RW compatible? Because Im getting ready to buy one and I want to make sure Ill be able to read data from it.

LimeiBook86
Oct 14, 2003, 11:43 PM
Ummm... I dunno if you can read +R media. But when I tried to burn on a +R format (using a G4 Pioneer A05 drive it read the blank disc (kept spinning it) and then spit it out) I don't have any discs to try on my powerbook so I dunno. I don't think Macs can read +R, maybe they can I dunno. Anyone else have an answer?

Abraxsis
Oct 15, 2003, 07:33 AM
Well support for +R/+RW is one of the new additions in Panther according to Apple's website. I would think though that the drive in question would have to support the reading of +R/W disc before software would "enable" it by being able to access it's contents. Maybe one of the things Panther does during installation is updates the CW-8122's (and other brands/models of DVD-ROMs) firmware. Im not sure on this, but it would be great is someone with a 1GHz 12" Powerbook w/ Combo drive would (if they can) check this out and try to read a +R DVD.