PDA

View Full Version : H&R Block Demos 2008 TaxCut

MacRumors
Jan 18, 2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

H&R Block showed off its updated tax preparation software (http://www.taxcut.com/mac) at Macworld this week. The software is a universal binary and compatible with Mac OS 10.3.9 through Mac OS 10.5.

Tax Cut includes standard features that you'd expect from a tax preparation program, such as the ability to import data from Quicken, TurboTax, or TaxCut in windows or mac flavors. In addition, the premium edition includes one free question to a tax advisor. Of course, all data is encrypted via 128-bit AES.

H&R block has included several mac-specific features in this year's version to sweeten the deal, including the ability to import address book information, iDisk backup or restore from another user's iDisk, and subscribing to iCal calendars with tax related dates (filing deadlines, etc).

TaxCut starts at $19.99 for the Federal version, $39.99 for the Federal+State edition, and $69.99 for the Federal+State+e-file edition.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/18/170452-HandRBlock1_500.jpg

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/18/handr-block-demos-2008-taxcut/)

MacUser4_20
Jan 18, 2008, 07:03 PM
They also gave away cool mini boxes of mints, dont forget about that! I got a CD that I thought contained the program as well.

swingerofbirch
Jan 18, 2008, 09:08 PM
I've always used TurboTax and will probably continue to out of habit. Those "You've Got People" ads annoy me too much.

QuarterSwede
Jan 18, 2008, 09:51 PM
I've used both H&R Block and Turbo Tax and find Turbo Tax much, much better. It's easier to use by far.

dwsolberg
Jan 18, 2008, 10:16 PM
I use TaxCut because TurboTax installed a bunch of spyware and adware on my machine one year. Additionally, the same company (Intuit) just distributed an update to QuickBooks that destroyed desktop files on Macs.

Given their track record, I just don't want Intuit software on my computer. However, I do hear that the TurboTax software is better, but TaxCut works fine for me.

MontanaMacMan
Jan 18, 2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for posting this for I just got back from SF and Macworld today.

I stopped by both booths. I was a little skeptical of TurboTax as I have used it in past years but didn't see anything that great for us Mac folk.

This year, I was blown away by how far TurboTax has come on the mac.

I had their product people give me a demo and it was amazing. Unlike TaxCut, the 2008 version of TurboTax was built FOR Macs; not a retrofit of a Win product.

What's amazing is how much better it is. TurboTax built 19 Mac-only features this year including backing up to .Mac and burning a CD with both this year's copy of TurboTax AND your tax return.

Because they built it for 10.4 and above, it's cutting edge.

TaxCut did improve their Mac product, but it still isn't close to TurboTax.

I guess if mints help you decide who best can help you do your taxes on the Mac, Block wins. But if you actually care about a Mac native software package, TurboTax is the way to go.

JAT
Jan 19, 2008, 09:57 AM
They both do the job of effectively doing taxes. But Taxcut has always been half the price, so I dealt with the less-smooth program. Not this year! I got it for $35, $15 more than last year. Might be my last year with the suckier program if they are going to charge the same amount.

iSee
Jan 19, 2008, 10:31 AM
I started using TC and then one year they just didn't come out with a Mac version! So I've been using TT since. I guess I'm ready to forgive and forget, though, especially with the Quickbooks problem that Intuit had.

Does anyone know how good/complete Tax Cut's import of previous year's TurboTax returns is?

evanliberman
Jan 20, 2008, 10:09 PM
Do you know if you can import last year's TaxCut return (on Windows) into 2008 TurboTax for Mac?

I was wondering if TT is a better product (for a little more money, this may be worth my time)

Jason-taxcut
Jan 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
Jason here from H&R Block TaxCut. Just got back from Macworld and wanted to answer some of the import questions in the thread. TaxCut very quickly and easily imports last year's TaxCut file or TurboTax file, as well as your data from Quicken, Microsoft Money and H&R Block DeductionPro. We'll handle anything with a .txf file extension. We've also added the ability to import your personal information from your Address Book to help save a little bit of data entry time on your part, as well as the ability to automatically backup your return to your iDisk.

revpt
Jan 28, 2008, 09:48 PM
I never saw a clarification on importing a taxcut file from last year that was windows based into this years new mac version. Does 2008 Mac have the ability to do that? Thanks.

crackermac
Jan 29, 2008, 10:26 AM
With any of the products, H&R, TT, TC, are you able to use it for multiple people? (ie. Can I file and then have my girlfriend use the product and file her returns?)

What about the home business one? My girl does the Mary Kay thing on the side. If we buy that, can we both use it even if I don't need the business end of it.