PDA

View Full Version : 15" AL Powerbook Wireless Range

LongNicholas
Oct 14, 2003, 09:44 PM
I have a wireless network in my home (Microsoft wireless base station - 802.11b). I works very well with my Sony laptop (good reception anywhere in the house or even outside - 100+ ft). However, the reception with my new 15" Al Powerbook is a maximum of 15-20 feet. Is this a problem with the new Al powerbooks or is there a problem with the internal antenna (I only get full strength when I hold the Powerbook within 1-2 feet of the base station).

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 14, 2003, 10:59 PM
That should not be happening. As so many people have been having problems with the cases, screens, and lids of their new PowerBooks, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a crippled antenna. I know the range is shorter on 802.11g but that shouldn't be an issue since your router is 802.11b.

Take it into an Apple store or reseller, or give AppleCare a call.

riwanami
Oct 15, 2003, 05:54 PM
15 to 20 feet is usually the range of bluetooth. Do you have any 2.4GHz Cordless phones at your location? Still, it's odd that your Vaio works fine and your PB doesn't. 802.11g usually has the same range as 802.11b. Sometimes the speed slows down when you combine b and g users (especially if the base station is g based), but regardless, the range shouldn't change.

I would keep your VAIO off, and reconfigure your MS Base station from your PB if you can. If it all fails, I would go the way ColoJohnBoy told you and take it to an Apple store. They can test the wireless capabilities there.