Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somecows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Charlottesville, VA
I have a question which will probably make me sound like a total mac novice, which I actually am not, having used them for about 10 years now. But for whatever reason I can't answer the following question for myself, so I'm turning to you guys.

I use my mac for every day stuff such as emailing, word processing, web browsing, digital camera stuff, etc, and I also use it extensively for web design. So, I run photoshop and do a lot of work with images, but I don't do much stuff with video or audio.

Would I notice any difference between the performance of a new iBook (once they are released) and a new PowerBook? I'm thinking a PowerBook might actually be more trouble than it's worth, what with the heat issues and noisy fans and whatnot, but on the other hand, if it would provide me with better performance (ie faster image processing capabilities) then it's worth it.

I know this is a boring question, but thank's for any advice.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
My PowerBook has no heat or fan noise issues...it's pretty wonderful at everything I've used it for, so if that's what you want and the heat/noise issue of the older models is what is putting you off, then I'd say go try a new one out and see if you like it.

davei

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2002
Personally, I'd rather have more power to grow into than "just enough" right now. I went from a Wallstreet PB to a 500MHz iceBook and the difference wasn't that great, but it wasn't long before I was pushing the limits of the iceBook - I also do a lot of stuff in PS, but I found myself doing more and more video & audio stuff with the iceBook, which became real slow real fast. I then moved to a 800MHz PB which has been great, could be faster but I don't feel like I've hit the wall (yet).

Another thing, aside from RAM the iBook is a pain to expand, no PC Card slot (tough to get used to since personally I like to use a CF PC Card adapter to transfer digital photos), HD is impossible to get to, only one RAM slot.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
there will be a big difference if you are using a lot of photoshop. The Powerbook will be significantly faster.

I'd say a G3 is the wrong choice if you do "a lot of work with images."

For the everyday tasks the ibooks will be better than just ok, but you'll get frustrated using it with photoshop.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Originally posted by QCassidy352
there will be a big difference if you are using a lot of photoshop. The Powerbook will be significantly faster.

I'd say a G3 is the wrong choice if you do "a lot of work with images."

For the everyday tasks the ibooks will be better than just ok, but you'll get frustrated using it with photoshop.

If you only plan on working on small (screen size) images, the difference in speed between the iBook and PBook should be next to negligable with most PS stuff...

So, if you plan on working with small images, I'd say your wallet his the deciding factor. iBook is great with e-mail, browsing, word processing, etc.

If you plan on working with big images, definetly go with the PBook. The PBook should "last" longer in terms of raw power.

My personal choice would be the PBook hands down if I could afford it. But unfortunetly my wallet decided for an Ibook :rolleyes:
Great machine anyways...

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah hes right....

Originally posted by whocares
If you only plan on working on small (screen size) images, the difference in speed between the iBook and PBook should be next to negligable with most PS stuff...

So, if you plan on working with small images, I'd say your wallet his the deciding factor. iBook is great with e-mail, browsing, word processing, etc.

If you plan on working with big images, definetly go with the PBook. The PBook should "last" longer in terms of raw power.

My personal choice would be the PBook hands down if I could afford it. But unfortunetly my wallet decided for an Ibook :rolleyes:
Great machine anyways...

I ended up with an iBook, and the modern speeds of the G3 processor are fantastically digestable in my opinion. I was worried that I would'nt be able to do any web or image work, but I was humbly surprised. I have an iBook 900 and a g4 imac at 800mhz. I must say that the difference in render times are ALMOST negligable. When I benchmark the two, there is certainly a difference in the numbers, But I certainly don't feel it in photoshop or dreamweaver for that matter. Then again I am only photoshopping screen sized photos for the most part.... some larger....

It all depends. While watching a render take place... are you going to be constantly conscious of the numbers spit out by xBench compared to the xBench stats on another machine of yours? If you can't tear yourself away from the numbers.... Get the powerbook. Period. Otherwise, you won't notice the difference.

My two cents

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Oh almost forgot...

The ibook is a brick too... Solid SOLID thing the iBook is. Takes quite a beating in my backpack.

(though those rubber feet keep popping off :/

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Re: Oh almost forgot...

Originally posted by frescies
The ibook is a brick too... Solid SOLID thing the iBook is. Takes quite a beating in my backpack.

(though those rubber feet keep popping off :/

Where do you find replacements? I have the same problem...

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Re: Re: Oh almost forgot...

Originally posted by whocares
Where do you find replacements? I have the same problem...

this came up in another thread somewhere quit recently (within the last week). There's a company that provide replacements relatively cheap. It also transpired that Apple provide free replacements under warranty if you go to an apple store.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
just saw this at crazy apple rumors site (1st visit)and that was a 1gig g3 ibook, seems a lot of executives are pissed at apple for only bumping the 900 by 100 mhz. same old story cant do that because of this. boils down to Motorola not advancing so nothing else gets advanced either.how long will we live with lackluster advances due to motorola's inability to advance. i bet Steve kicks those chips out of every mac product by the end of next year. i was hoping for a 1 gig g4 but they cant do that because of the powerbooks..............same old motorola stagnation same old crap.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Apple should ditch Motorola chips ASAP. IBM is capable of producing adequate replacements. 750GX 1.1GHz for iBook and low clock 970 for eMac and iMac in 1Q 2004. Give the PowerBooks the fastest G4s they can handle - 12"/1.25GHz, 15"/1.33GHz, 17"/1.42GHz and bump up the base RAM to 512/1G/1G. Increase the battery capacity and let fans take care of the heat. Then update the PB again as soon as the G5 model is ready in 2Q or 3Q.

Don't cripple the rest of the line for the sake of the PowerBooks. We know it is going to be a while for a major update. Besides the latest models aren't too shabby - I plan on buying one myself. It will keep me nice and warm this winter. :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
everything gets crippled because of Motostagnation,how many years will us mac users have to put up with this crap is beyond me. The cure to all of this is to boot moto out period. now we can start advancing and selling products to the public that are as fast as the windoze world. As long as Apple keeps holding on to those darn g4's everything is held back. will people be satisfied with a 1 gig g3 ibook?? Its Time to Break those motorola chains Apple. i wonder how IBM's 970 production is going now?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
look - i have a bro who has an emac 700 ati. i have a pmac dp 1g.

yeah yeah dp an all but even when you do the percentages his emac is slower in pshop etc. by a bigger margin than his machine is slower according to clock speeds (it has 640MB mine has 768MB)

pshop will love you for getting a g4 due to altivec. your bank account will love you for getting a g3.

it all depends what you prefer more: saving money or making it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.