PDA

View Full Version : What are the advantages of ATV Movie rentals over Pay Per View?

TheBonk
Jan 18, 2008, 11:08 PM
When a friend and I were talking about ATV movie rentals, he said it's the same thing as pay per view

Now I don't know much about Pay per view, but why would people buy ATV over pay per view? Does ATV have certain advantages?

TatsuTerror
Jan 18, 2008, 11:10 PM
With ATV, you have a much wider selection of movies from which you can choose. With PPV, it's pretty much whatever is available that week.

nlivo
Jan 18, 2008, 11:32 PM
As previously posted, you have a much broader selection and you have 30 days to start watching the movie when renting off the AppleTV. With Pay Per View you have to watch it straight away.

iBallz
Jan 19, 2008, 01:07 AM
But, with PPV, you can record the movie you rent on your DVR and watch again, and again as long as you want. (not that I would,but...)

TheBigS
Jan 19, 2008, 01:16 AM
Also PPV requires you to have some sort of subscription to cable also, and if your like me and have peasant vision then it doesnt cost you anything other than the movie you pick to rent.

nlivo
Jan 19, 2008, 07:27 AM
AppleTV really does sound like the better option!

MBHockey
Jan 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
But, with PPV, you can record the movie you rent on your DVR and watch again, and again as long as you want. (not that I would,but...)

I can't do that with mine (Cox Communications). I seriously doubt you could do that with any other cable company, either.

MikieMikie
Jan 19, 2008, 09:12 AM

What cable company are you on? Comcast DVRs will not allow you to record PPV movies, whether purchased or free.

pedz
Jan 19, 2008, 09:33 AM
Advatanges I see to Apple TV (some already mentioned):
- (Hopefully) better selection, it will take some time but should happen soon enough.
- Better quality. My cable company ppv is full screen average quality. On apple tv you will get widescreen dvd quality and in (hopefully) many cases hd. My cable company has hd ppv but literally has about 20 titles to choose from.
- More convenient interface. the new apple tv interface looks great, can't wait to try it.

Agree with other poster, i cannot record ppv to my dvr.

The selection is key for me, i can't be bothered with systems where they usually don't have what i am looking for. after that it is picture quality. both of these should be superior with the apple tv. I already have 3 of them so it makes it easy for me :)

Peter

OldSkoolNJ
Jan 19, 2008, 01:26 PM
Advatanges I see to Apple TV (some already mentioned):
- (Hopefully) better selection, it will take some time but should happen soon enough.
- Better quality. My cable company ppv is full screen average quality. On apple tv you will get widescreen dvd quality and in (hopefully) many cases hd. My cable company has hd ppv but literally has about 20 titles to choose from.
- More convenient interface. the new apple tv interface looks great, can't wait to try it.

Agree with other poster, i cannot record ppv to my dvr.

The selection is key for me, i can't be bothered with systems where they usually don't have what i am looking for. after that it is picture quality. both of these should be superior with the apple tv. I already have 3 of them so it makes it easy for me :)

Peter

You can also watch said movie on your computer, your ipod or your iPhone. So it is much much more versatile.

Kevin:apple:

Peace
Jan 19, 2008, 01:33 PM
Comcast charges $3.99 for an older movie.$4.99 for a recent one.
ATV is $2.99 and $3.99

Comcast charges $5.99 for HD movies
ATV charges $4.99

FreeState
Jan 19, 2008, 06:55 PM
You can also watch said movie on your computer, your ipod or your iPhone. So it is much much more versatile.

Kevin:apple:

Not if its rented on AppleTV - those stay on it and can not be synced back to anything. This is for the higher res SD and HD. You can rent a lower res iPod compatible movie on iTunes and play it on any apple devise but its quality will not be as good as the ones available via the AppleTV rentals.

dukebound85
Jan 19, 2008, 06:58 PM

I can't do that with mine (Cox Communications). I seriously doubt you could do that with any other cable company, either.

perhaps vhs thenconvert to dvd lol

iBallz
Jan 19, 2008, 11:08 PM
What cable company are you on? Comcast DVRs will not allow you to record PPV movies, whether purchased or free.

Dish Network

ogee
Jan 20, 2008, 01:45 AM
I really cant see the excitement about movie rentals. I would much rather by to own. I havent rented a movie for over 25 years and wont start now (not that iTunes has videos in Germany).

I dont agree with his Stevieness that people only watch a movie once. Some of my favorites I have watched so often I could almost recite them, lol

nlivo
Jan 20, 2008, 01:57 AM
I really cant see the excitement about movie rentals. I would much rather by to own. I havent rented a movie for over 25 years and wont start now (not that iTunes has videos in Germany).

I dont agree with his Stevieness that people only watch a movie once. Some of my favorites I have watched so often I could almost recite them, lol

yes, I agree. I have watched some of my favourite movies 20-30 times. But rentals, I think, are for movies you have never seen before and for that reason, I think its very good.

gr8tfly
Jan 20, 2008, 02:03 AM
The ATV interface for controlling a movie is much better than my DirectTV box. DTV's is not very precise and frustrating. Also, I won't have to worry about the movie stopping before it's over or playback glitches - problems inherent to the DTV HDDVR since I got it last Feb. (almost a year now) and through I don't know how many firmware updates.

Plus, the movie selection will be vastly improved. On launch, the number of HD movies (100?) will blow away the weekly offerings, not to mention the SD library.

One disadvantage I noticed was the time from DVD availability to iTunes rental - 30 days. DirecTV (and probably other PPV) seem to get them sooner, but not by much.

I'm counting the days to the :apple:tv update!

btw: I can save recorded PPV's on the DVR drive as long as I wish. But, if it's something I really enjoy, I will buy the DVD or Blu-Ray disk anyway.M any times, it's worth it for the extras, too (if you're into that). I don't really see it as much of a plus for DTV.

jimN
Jan 20, 2008, 04:28 AM
Not if its rented on AppleTV - those stay on it and can not be synced back to anything. This is for the higher res SD and HD. You can rent a lower res iPod compatible movie on iTunes and play it on any apple devise but its quality will not be as good as the ones available via the AppleTV rentals.

I thought that it was only HD content that couldn't be synched back.

zedsdead
Jan 20, 2008, 06:24 AM
I thought that it was only HD content that couldn't be synched back.

No, both. Which is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, the SD on the iTunes Store for Rentals is better quality than there purchases. They have provided Anamorphic Encoding now with higher bitrates (for the newer releases it appears anyway, I have only tested Simpsons and Windtalkers). The Simpsons was DVD Quality hands down (the file played back at 853xN (forgot the horizontal number).

whooleytoo
Jan 21, 2008, 10:49 AM

Likewise. When Steve said people only watch a movie once, it made sense, but the more I think about it, I've seen some movies dozens of times - and some movies I watch every time they appear on the movie channels.

I've found I'm often too lazy to put a DVD on, but if I can watch it with the flick of a button, I'll watch it time and again.

So paying to watch it just once doesn't appeal to me. In fact, given they're so convinced people only watch movies once, why do Apple bother limiting the rental to just one day? ;)

nando2323
Jan 21, 2008, 10:54 AM

This is not possible at least with comcast it is not possible!

ftaok
Jan 21, 2008, 11:47 AM
Actually, you can record VOD on many cable systems. But you can't do it with the CableCo's DVR.

What you need is a 3rd Party DVR with QAM. My Sony DHG-HDD250 fits the bill. Here's how you do it.

From a Digital STB or DVR, rent the VOD movie/show that you want to watch. From a separate QAM-DVR, tune into the channel that is playing the VOD stream. Record using the QAM-DVR. Viola.

Not as elegant as the Dish DVR, I guess, but it'll work.

ft

pilotError
Jan 21, 2008, 11:49 AM
Cablevision charges $10 a month for the right to rent PPV movies. Then its another $5 or $6 above that per movie. I found out the hard way when my kids were using the Free on Demand and made the mistake of ordering a movie. They were nice enough to refund the $10 fee, but I felt violated for charging me to rent a movie with a monthly fee besides.

I'm not a huge renter, but I run down to Blockbuster and rent a movie on "Family night" when there's nothing on Cable. This might be a nice alternative.

The cable companies are stupid, as they are in a unique position of making it easy instead of jamming you with fees. Between Cable and Internet access I'm already spending about $160 / month.

I don't think the 24 hour thing is such a big deal, as this is an impulse purchase.

I already have an ATV, so this is a no brainer. I'll try it and see how it goes.

natasha69
Jan 21, 2008, 11:57 AM

i'm on comcast and have no issue recording a ppv movie. just order it. then hit the record button as its playing.

scr1968
Jan 21, 2008, 12:44 PM
When a friend and I were talking about ATV movie rentals, he said it's the same thing as pay per view

Now I don't know much about Pay per view, but why would people buy ATV over pay per view? Does ATV have certain advantages?

One "feature" I didn't see mentioned over PPV is the ability to watch a movie when you want.

I am a DTV subscriber and check out the PPV movies from time to time. When I look at the guide there always seems to be a movie that started "45 minutes ago" that I wanted to see and then isn't on the rest of the night. With ATV you almost get on demand PPV in a sense. I can see myself using the rental feature of ATV as a substitute for DTVs PPV.

SR

nando2323
Jan 21, 2008, 12:50 PM
i'm on comcast and have no issue recording a ppv movie. just order it. then hit the record button as its playing.

I am wrong it will record PPV but it will not record the OnDemand stuff.

Gelfin
Jan 21, 2008, 12:57 PM
Likewise. When Steve said people only watch a movie once, it made sense, but the more I think about it, I've seen some movies dozens of times - and some movies I watch every time they appear on the movie channels.

I've found I'm often too lazy to put a DVD on, but if I can watch it with the flick of a button, I'll watch it time and again.

So paying to watch it just once doesn't appeal to me. In fact, given they're so convinced people only watch movies once, why do Apple bother limiting the rental to just one day? ;)

Yes, but that's some movies. I'd bet most people with any respectable sized DVD collection have no small number of things they won't watch again often enough to justify the DVD purchase. I know I do, and I'm going through a massive purge as a result. There are still things I know I'll rewatch often enough to own them, and I'll still be buying physical media for those titles, but there are many things I can sell back to my local disc store for a few bucks and probably still come out ahead even if I should get an itch to rent some of them in the future.

The real question is not whether PPV/VOD from my cable company is a better option -- limited selection makes that a non-starter. The question is whether Netflix is still a better option. I have a decent connection, but nothing like the enormous pipe Steve was working during the MWSF keynote. The time it takes me to download enough of an HD movie to begin watching uninterrupted might make a well-managed Netflix queue a desirable option, particularly when you consider that download is going to be tying up all my external bandwidth for the duration.

A very good selection of catalog titles, like one that threatens the "rare titles" business model of my local independent video store, would sway me greatly, but that's extraordinarily unlikely to happen. Encoding takes time and money, and expected ROI dictates who falls where in the queue.

Another valuable feature would be remote and scheduled management of my AppleTV, so that I could hypothetically rent something in HD from iTunes at work and say "send this to my AppleTV" and have it waiting for me when I get home, or to schedule downloads overnight to avoid clogging my connection at times I'm likely to be using it.

Mac In School
Jan 21, 2008, 01:22 PM
Regarding rental vs. ownership:

Please keep in mind that you are a representative sample. You are one person.

As for my own personal habits, I own about 1,000 DVDs. I have maybe 10-20 of them that I watch more than 4 times (the price of ownership).

What I'd really like to see Apple add to the mix is the ability to upgrade to a purchase of a movie (with credit toward the rental applying toward purchase) within 30 days of rental.

As far as AppleTV vs. PPV goes, I pretty much agree with the OP. If my only need was for movie rentals, I probably wouldn't go the AppleTV route. I like AppleTV because I have all my iTunes and iPhoto content on my TV, plus the ability to rent movies.

Yvan256
Jan 21, 2008, 02:18 PM
iTunes Store Movie Rental:
- no subscription required, no monthly fees
- huge selection (and we're only at the beginning)
- widescreen versions
- multiple languages (at least I'm hoping for that, given that it was a bullet list item in the keynote, it will be good for me if I want to rent a movie to watch with my parents)

Pay-per-view:
- requires either cable or satellite subscription
- most of the time the selection is extremely limited (50 titles at most with older titles being removed)
- most of the time they're 4:3 :rolleyes:
- french only, sometimes (I'm in Quebec, where the original english version is too much to ask for, it seems)

DVD rental:
- the selection can be limited for older titles, new titles may not be in stock when you arrive at the store (all copies are already rented)
- DVD can be scratched (my old DVD player is kind of flacky and I'm not interested in buying another one, even for 20$)
- sometimes they only order the 4:3 version :rolleyes:
- you have to drive to the store twice (rental, return), which is annoying in -40 celcius weather.

Add to that the fact that where I live, there's only one place that shows movies, in french, twice a month at best... I have to wait for the DVDs anyway. Waiting an extra thirty days for the convenience won't change my life, in fact I'm even more likely to wait until it drops to the $2.99 price, unless it's something I want to watch as soon as possible (most sci-fi movies, Pixar, etc).

So, I can't wait for iTunes rentals to come to Canada. :D