PDA

View Full Version : NeatReceipts for Mac Scans, Reads, and Organizes Receipts

MacRumors
Jan 19, 2008, 12:49 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

NeatReceipts (http://www.neatreceipts.com) showed its upcoming Mac version of its Mac software for cataloging receipts at Macworld.

NeatReceipts for Mac scans, saves, and uses optical character recognition (OCR) to save receipt data into a catalogue. It will automatically identify key terms like total, tip, and tax lines. A custom-made coverflow view for browsing stored receipts is available.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/19/003245-DSC_0058_500.jpg

For the technically interested, the product is a Cocoa application that uses CoreData for its database and PDFKit for receipt image storage. The company is working on business card support for integration with Address Book, and version 2 will hopefully/probably integrate with Quicken (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/18/intuit-to-rewrite-quicken-demos-turbotax-2008/), though no promises.

The company plans to release the product at the end of March. The full version which includes the receipt scanner will ring in at $180, but a software-only version compatible with any image-capture compatible scanner will go for $80. Users of the Windows product can get the Mac version at no additional charge.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/19/neatreceipts-for-mac-scans-reads-and-organizes-receipts/)

arn
Jan 19, 2008, 12:53 AM
I thought this was awesome actually. Receipt management is an ongoing issue for me.

The ability to scan automatically sort receipts based on OCR seems really useful.

arn

dstein
Jan 19, 2008, 02:22 AM
I used to work for them...

Music_Producer
Jan 19, 2008, 03:39 AM
I thought this was awesome actually. Receipt management is an ongoing issue for me.

Yup, this is a plus for small business owners who own Macs. I can finally get rid of all the boxes of receipts I have in the event of an IRS audit :D

badtz
Jan 19, 2008, 06:25 AM
receipt wallet does the same thing?? :X

TraceyS/FL
Jan 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
I have been waiting for this!!!!!!!!!

If you saw my desk, you'd know why :D

docal97
Jan 19, 2008, 08:55 AM
Been using the windows version for about 2 years, what an incredible product. I can't wait to check out the mac version.

stagi
Jan 19, 2008, 09:08 AM
Looks like a pretty nice piece of software, this could save me a lot of time organizing all of my receipts. Anyone know what the differences are between this and receipt wallet? Anyone use receipt wallet and have any feedback on that?
Thanks,
Mark

mac-er
Jan 19, 2008, 10:28 AM
I assume this is needed for people that need to keep receipts for tax purposes?

What else good would it really be for? No store is going to take a 'photocopy' of a receipt for return purposes.

gescom
Jan 19, 2008, 10:35 AM
I kinda wish delicious monster could do this for receipts too!

coolbreeze
Jan 19, 2008, 10:41 AM
Urr, just buy a Fujitsu ScanSnap.

Why limit yourself to receipt scanning?

I have a ScanSnap and it's WONDERFUL. I scan everything from documents to pay stubs to receipts to business cards. I can't imagine buying such an expensive machine that only serves one purpose.

My 2 cents.

Jason Edwards
Jan 19, 2008, 11:09 AM

What else good would it really be for? No store is going to take a 'photocopy' of a receipt for return purposes.

I use it on Windows and its great. And yes, some stores will take a photocopy of a receipt.

But the nice thing for home users is in case you need to make an insurance claim. Its an easy way to organize what you have bought.

Jason

arn
Jan 19, 2008, 12:39 PM

I have a ScanSnap and it's WONDERFUL. I scan everything from documents to pay stubs to receipts to business cards. I can't imagine buying such an expensive machine that only serves one purpose.

My 2 cents.

The scanner is only 1/2 the story. The iTunes-like software that does character recognition and sorts receipts by type is the more important aspect. And all text is stored. So if you buy a MacBook Air and scan the receipt, in 8months, you can search for "MacBook Air" and it should come up with that receipt.

arn

robbyx
Jan 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
I agree re: the ScanSnap. AWESOME little device.

I've checked out Receipt Wallet and the UI is pretty weak. NeatReceipts looks promising, but why not just get Yep (www.ironicsoftware.com)? Gorgeous interface, very easy to use, and not limited to just receipts. I use it in conjunction with ReadIris to OCR my receipts and it works beautifully.

Hopefully Ironic will add OCR to Yep one of these days, but I'm willing to deal with the extra step of incorporating ReadIris because Yep is just so darn nice. I scan into ReadIris, automatically OCR, then have ReadIris dump the receipt into my Yep Pending Documents folder for automatic inclusion in my library. Since Yep reads Spotlight comments, one can also use DefaultFolder X to tag documents at the time they are saved, thus requiring no further organization in Yep. It's really a beautiful solution for managing all kinds of PDF files, not just receipts.

Anyway, check it out...

ericdano
Jan 19, 2008, 02:26 PM
Silly, for that price I can get DevonThink Office.

I use that, and it works great for Scanning Receipts. Plus, it manages all my PDFs and interesting things I find on the web......

coolbreeze
Jan 19, 2008, 02:29 PM
The scanner is only 1/2 the story. The iTunes-like software that does character recognition and sorts receipts by type is the more important aspect. And all text is stored. So if you buy a MacBook Air and scan the receipt, in 8months, you can search for "MacBook Air" and it should come up with that receipt.

arn

I OCR every document I scan with my ScanSnap. I can do a quick spotlight search for ANY word, receipt words included, and they all show up in the search.

Plus, tagging with Yep just enhances the accuracy of searching.

I have no doubt the NeatReceipts is a wonderful solution, and it's great at the single task it does. IMO, the Fujitsu does that and then some, at a very similar, if not cheaper price-point.

It's all great technology, I just see so much more bang for your buck with the ScanSnap. ;)

sgruby
Jan 19, 2008, 11:21 PM
ve checked out Receipt Wallet and the UI is pretty weak.

What about the ReceiptWallet UI do you think is weak? It is pretty functional according to all the feedback we've heard from our users. We're working on some updates to it and love to hear feedback from users to enhance it. You can contact us via our website: http://www.receiptwallet.com

--
Scott
ReceiptWallet

HD Shooter
Jan 20, 2008, 08:01 PM
I was just thinking ther HAD to be batter way to log receipts! I like the text recognition and the interaction with quickbooks (possibly).

I haven't jumped on the quickbooks MAC version but if these products will talk to eachother then I may just do my books on my mac.

kingtj
Jan 21, 2008, 11:17 AM
Just last week, I was researching receipt-scanning solutions for my Mac. It looked like the shareware "ReceiptWallet" software was pretty usable for my needs, but they didn't have a lot of recommendations for suitable scanners to use with it. (I don't find it practical at all to try to scan receipts using a standard flatbed scanner, or an all-in-one printer/fax/scanner/copier device like the Epson I have now. It's simply too slow a process.) The other recommendation was a Pentax portable USB scanner which looks like it's pretty good at scanning single sheets of paper, but reviewers comment such things as "It has some trouble feeding paper with a fold in the middle." That makes me figure it's a poor choice for feeding crinkled-up little thermal paper receipts like you often get from "pay at the pump" gas pumps and such.

I ran across the NeatReceipts product in my searching, but noted it seemed to only be for Windows - so I skipped over it.

Only bad thing about this announcement is, end of March release date? I'm trying to work on my taxes right now! I don't want to wait until the start of April to get all this stuff scanned in and totaled up!

Yup, this is a plus for small business owners who own Macs. I can finally get rid of all the boxes of receipts I have in the event of an IRS audit :D

dstein
Jan 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
Neatreceipts is a pretty cool piece of software. i saw someone mention "why would you want something that just scans receipts" the fact is, it doesnt scan just receipts. it will scan in business cards and use OCR to extract all the info from it to export and sync with other programs and it will also let you scan in full sized documents, for the documents however it wont OCR them. i like to think of the software as a digital filing cabinet so that you can scan everything in and essentially go paperless. it also has nice "quick find" features, since the scanner is actually reading everything that goes through the scanner, you can type ANY word or number sequence that appears on the document you are trying to find into the search field and it will bring up every match in seconds. its a really neat, pun intended, and useful software.

ChrisA
Jan 21, 2008, 12:57 PM

Quite a few will. Many stores now have sophisticated resistors that log every transaction. I returned something recently with no receipt. they asked me what credit card I used to pay for it and about what date and found the record of the transaction. In other words the store keeps a copy of every receipt going back for years.

The the ability to accept a photocopy is really there to protect the store from forged receipts. It is pretty easy to make a fake paper receipt.. The best way to protect from fakes is for the store to only take a product back if the customer's receipt matches one in the company's database. Once you can do this then you can safely also accept no-receipt returns. Lots of major chain stores are doing this now.

Our local Fry's store has gone even further. They have access to a serial number database. The guy in front of me tried to "return" something and the customer service person told him the product was sold at a "Best Buy" store between a pair of dates and said to go there and return it.

bnp
Jan 23, 2008, 11:54 AM
Silly, for that price I can get DevonThink Office.

I use that, and it works great for Scanning Receipts. Plus, it manages all my PDFs and interesting things I find on the web......

How do you use Devon Office Pro to handle or catalog your .pdf files?
Don't you have to drag your documents into Devon Pro?
Whereas the Neat Receipts software seems a more one step - scan in and the receipt pdf is organized.And I think Yep finds the pdfs and indexes them ( may be mistaken here... )

I have Devon Pro office.. still figuring out how to get the most out of it.
Would like to hear how, ericdano, you use it to manage your pdfs.
feel free to reply off line

natallica
Jan 23, 2008, 12:08 PM
receipt wallet does the same thing?? :X

+1

I have to file 3 Schedule C's for my businesses and ReceiptWallet has changed my life! ;-) I absolutely love the smart folders.

-- N

thecritix
Jan 25, 2008, 07:36 AM

My 2 cents.

seems alot of money, saves alot of money when the external hard drive you bought fails and you need to send it for repair.. realising its within its 1 year manufacturers warranty.

I could see this saving lots of money, If I wasn't so short sighted I would buy one, instead I will continue to lose of all my receipts and pay for repairs/new items. :(

FDX
Jan 27, 2008, 07:13 PM
I could see this saving lots of money, If I wasn't so short sighted I would buy one, instead I will continue to lose of all my receipts and pay for repairs/new items. :(

Hey that sounds like my system.:eek:

kornyboy
May 30, 2008, 03:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread or not but I was wondering if anyone has purchased one of these yet? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

mothy
Jun 4, 2008, 05:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread or not but I was wondering if anyone has purchased one of these yet? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

The PC Version was on sale at Staples yesterday for 149.95 (AR) so I picked one up.
AFAIK the PC scanner is basically the same as the Mac version. I know it is claimed compatible.
I *did* not install the PC software inside Fusion.
I downloaded the Mac software and started scanned right away. I have a stack of receipts waiting to be entered in MYOB. There are two reasons I have not done that yet. 1/ I have been waiting to get this scanner. 2/ I have a mild paper work phobia.
The software is still a little flakey and crashes quite often.
The scans are nice.
I am sure the software quality will improve... it is a advanced release (beta) version...

Overall - not bad. Mildly annoying but useable.

ScubaKevin
Sep 4, 2008, 11:19 PM
This product and software is kinda the culmination of my digital organization dreams

but....

what I'm worried about, is are we digging ourselves into a proprietary software hole?

- Anyone remember Visioneer ?

What I see happening is getting trapped into being dependent on one company's software in order to search, sift and find our digital documents.

I just recently received my Neat receipes apckage, and being all gung ho, I started scanning away. However, what I discovered is that the file is un-findable from the OS level. The file is given some cryptic file name and wraps the file up in some kind of batch library file and has no tag or metadata to seach for. In order to find something, you have to do it through the Neatreceipts software, and this bothers me.

When you use the pdf option under the print dialog, we are presented with some fields to tag the file with like keyword, etc ( anyone have any help one how to re-access & modify / search for these? )

Considering the options available under the print dialog, I was REALLY hoping to be able to search and find the Neat Receipt files through spotlight.

Anyone have any ideas, comments or suggestions.

sgruby
Sep 5, 2008, 11:09 PM
I just recently received my Neat receipes apckage, and being all gung ho, I started scanning away. However, what I discovered is that the file is un-findable from the OS level. The file is given some cryptic file name and wraps the file up in some kind of batch library file and has no tag or metadata to seach for. In order to find something, you have to do it through the Neatreceipts software, and this bothers me.

My product, ReceiptWallet <http://www.receiptwallet.com/>, stores all of the receipts in a package (similarly to NeatReceipts), but it organizes all of the PDFs in folder according to year, month, date and then gives each PDF the name of the merchant and date. In addition, everything is searchable via Spotlight as the metadata you enter in ReceiptWallet is also stored in the PDF. So, if ReceiptWallet goes away (which isn't going to happen any time soon as I use my own solution everyday), you can still search for your receipts and easily find the files.

Please take a look at the demo. We also offer a 25% discount for owners of competing products like NeatReceipts.