PDA

View Full Version : Should we buy an MBA Jjust because is thinner and newer?We get better perf. ON MB!!

joemarioz
Jan 19, 2008, 06:40 PM
In my opinion I think we should not follow tecnology in newest...oldest we should follow best performance.....less performance,guys the macbook air is 700 dls. more than an macbook which performs better!:apple:

aosman
Jan 19, 2008, 06:43 PM
You pay more for subnotebooks because the technology inside them costs more to make: it has smaller core 2 duo chips than regular C2D ones. If you don't need an ultra-slim laptop, go for the MB. If thickness matters to you, you will have to dish out the extra $500 or so. Up to you.

joemarioz
Jan 19, 2008, 06:50 PM
You pay more for subnotebooks because the technology inside them costs more to make: it has smaller core 2 duo chips than regular C2D ones. If you don't need an ultra-slim laptop, go for the MB. If thickness matters to you, you will have to dish out the extra $500 or so. Up to you.

Why should I buy a MBA only because it has better tecnology!, I mean yes, the chpset was reduced by 60 percent But why do i need a reduced chipset why would i spend 700 dollars more for a smaller chipset with less performance!

Wireless Buddy
Jan 19, 2008, 06:57 PM
Why should I buy a MBA only because it has better tecnology!, I mean yes, the chpset was reduced by 60 percent But why do i need a reduced chipset why would i spend 700 dollars more for a smaller chipset with less performance!

Because it's small. Didn't you read anything? :rolleyes:

mavherzog
Jan 19, 2008, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure a lot of people will. Especially considering it's foot print is LARGER than the MacBook. (wider and deeper)

aosman
Jan 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure a lot of people will. Especially considering it's foot print is LARGER than the MacBook. (wider and deeper)

I agree, which is why I said thickness. I guess the selling point for the MacBook Air is the Thickness alone :apple:

tdhurst
Jan 19, 2008, 07:11 PM
In my opinion I think we should not follow tecnology in newest...oldest we should follow best performance.....less performance,guys the macbook air is 700 dls. more than an macbook which performs better!:apple:

You're obviously not the market Apple is trying to capture with this. It's REALLY light, it looks way cool and it performs decently.

What two groups do I think will lust after this?

Females and the gay population.

Call me sexist or prejudice or whatever...but I bet both the ladies and any gay man will agree with me.

yoda13
Jan 19, 2008, 07:21 PM
Well, I am neither female, nor gay...but I would like it simply for the weight reduction. I tote my computer around all day everyday and anything that reduces my burden would be great. But, unfortunately, I cannot step up to the plate financially right now...but I think its a great product should it turn out to be fairly durable...:)

CBJammin103
Jan 19, 2008, 07:22 PM
Call me sexist or prejudice or whatever...but I bet both the ladies and any gay man will agree with me.

Lol, I can see all the straight men who ordered one cringing at that comment. :rolleyes:

TuffLuffJimmy
Jan 19, 2008, 07:27 PM
You're obviously not the market Apple is trying to capture with this. It's REALLY light, it looks way cool and it performs decently.

Wow...

feminine doesn't necessarily mean gay, and vice versa.
I'd never buy a macbook air, unless i traveled a lot for work or something like that.

eddietr
Jan 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
Lol, I can see all the straight men who ordered one cringing at that comment. :rolleyes:

Yes, he apparently forgot about those of us (include male heterosexuals) who travel.

nuclearwinter
Jan 19, 2008, 07:40 PM
I'd like to just point out that performance is not simply measured in floating point calculations where a portable computer is concerned. A more holistic approach, though more subjective, might also consider how well the computer performs in the environment in which it is used, for example, as a desktop video editor, business travel, or mobile photography. Each of these requires different performance and a different form factor. You cannot reduce a product to its processor's ability.

ribbonthecat
Jan 19, 2008, 07:42 PM
Does perf. mean performance? Why not write it out? Did you forget how to spell it?

Nilonym
Jan 19, 2008, 07:47 PM

Oh certainly. I'm just awake all night filled with anxiety about it. In fact, appleretailguy's analysis makes me think I should cancel my wimpy MBA and opt for a nice 17" MBP and a few extra batteries, just so I can show the world how manly I really am. :cool:

tdhurst
Jan 19, 2008, 07:48 PM
Well, I am neither female, nor gay...but I would like it simply for the weight reduction. I tote my computer around all day everyday and anything that reduces my burden would be great. But, unfortunately, I cannot step up to the plate financially right now...but I think its a great product should it turn out to be fairly durable...:)

I didn't mean ONLY females and the gay population.

I suppose I wasn't clear with my point.

ahaxton
Not sure why people are confused. Smaller tech has always cost more. A smaller hd with the same capacity as a larger hd is going to cost more than the larger one.

Also the MacBook Air footprint is the same as the MacBook.

tdhurst

Yeah...my point was misunderstood then or I did a bad job of explaining it.

diabolic
Jan 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
I think a lot of people are dismissing the thickness, weight, and appearance as if they aren't features. They might not be features everyone needs, but I am confident the market is there for the MBA.

As hard as it might be to believe, there really are a lot of people who don't need the fastest processor, hard disk, or firewire. There are even a lot that will base the purchase on appearance alone.

tdhurst
Jan 19, 2008, 07:51 PM
Oh certainly. I'm just awake all night filled with anxiety about it. In fact, appleretailguy's analysis makes me think I should cancel my wimpy MBA and opt for a nice 17" MBP and a few extra batteries, just so I can show the world how manly I really am. :cool:

hahahahaha...

Funny.

I wasn't insinuating that the MBA was ONLY a female/gay purchase.

I was trying to imply that some people buy laptops for reasons other than pure performance, namely looks, functionality, size and weight.

If I had a desktop I'd already have ordered my MBA, and I fit into neither of the groups I mentioned.

ahaxton
Jan 19, 2008, 07:57 PM
hahahahaha...

Funny.

I wasn't insinuating that the MBA was ONLY a female/gay purchase.

I was trying to imply that some people buy laptops for reasons other than pure performance, namely looks, functionality, size and weight.

If I had a desktop I'd already have ordered my MBA, and I fit into neither of the groups I mentioned.

I definitely like to be on top of tech advancement. The whole custom chip smaller than ever before is very attractive to me. Just like with Desktops, back in my windows days. I'd always go with the smaller stuff, so I didn't have a huge flippin tower.

ribbonthecat
Jan 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
Straight male here. Before I bought an iMac, I used a 12 inch PB as my only computer. Now I use the Powerbook in the same way I would use an MBA if I could afford one. It's a small, light notebook that I use on the couch while watching election returns, or while traveling, or to take notes in class, or whatever. It's still a pretty sexy looking computer, but I don't give a damn. What's important is that it is light, small, and can access the internet, type documents, watch movies, and so forth. The MBA is meant to be a secondary computer. Anything that requires any sort of extensive processing is meant to be done on the user's primary system. But the fact that it's sexy is a plus.

joemarioz
Jan 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
feAtures features features that's all we need guys the MBA doesnt even have front row!!

diabolic
Jan 19, 2008, 09:21 PM
feAtures features features that's all we need guys the MBA doesnt even have front row!!

I'd be a perfect example of someone who doesn't use Front Row, so I don't need it on my MBA.

joemarioz
Jan 19, 2008, 09:36 PM
Does perf. mean performance? Why not write it out? Did you forget how to spell it?
dude,try writing more than 50 characters in the title amd you will see!

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
it all depends on what type of work you like to do imo

fishkorp
Jan 19, 2008, 10:03 PM

i'm on my 2nd mac notebook (and my wife's air will be our 3rd) and i've never used front row on either of them. i find front row to be absolutely worthless on a notebook.

Tom Castle
Jan 20, 2008, 11:06 AM

Umm, the MBA certainly does have front row. Maybe you should actually read the specs before making comments that are blatantly untrue. Front row is a product of Leopard, not a specific computer.

joemarioz
Jan 20, 2008, 02:37 PM
Umm, the MBA certainly does have front row. Maybe you should actually read the specs before making comments that are blatantly untrue. Front row is a product of Leopard, not a specific computer.

What’s in the box
MacBook Air
Micro-DVI to DVI adapter
Micro-DVI to VGA adapter
Cleaning/polishing cloth
MagSafe power adapter
Install/restore DVDs
Printed documentation

devilot
Jan 20, 2008, 02:50 PM
Sorry, OP. MBA has FrontRow.
As per Apple's own site; linky (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html). And a screenshot that's hopefully clear:

Macky-Mac
Jan 20, 2008, 02:51 PM
What’s in the box
MacBook Air
Micro-DVI to DVI adapter
Micro-DVI to VGA adapter
Cleaning/polishing cloth
MagSafe power adapter
Install/restore DVDs
Printed documentation

Front Row is listed with the "installed software". It says so on Apples page about the MBA. read this page (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html)

It will also be on the "Install/restore DVDs" you listed above.

edit; devilot beat me to it!

eba
Jan 20, 2008, 02:59 PM
Threads like this are idiotic.

The only reason to buy a MBA is if you want maximum portability. That's why Apple made it.

If you want better performance, buy something else. That's why Apple makes those other products.

What's the mystery here?

joemarioz
Jan 20, 2008, 03:05 PM
Sorry, OP. MBA has FrontRow.
As per Apple's own site; linky (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html). And a screenshot that's hopefully clear:

Sorry! Didn´t see that !?

ntrigue
Jan 20, 2008, 04:10 PM
I'd like to just point out that performance is not simply measured in floating point calculations where a portable computer is concerned. A more holistic approach, though more subjective, might also consider how well the computer performs in the environment in which it is used, for example, as a desktop video editor, business travel, or mobile photography. Each of these requires different performance and a different form factor. You cannot reduce a product to its processor's ability.

The most reasonable argument I've read in recent weeks. That's why I'm waiting to get my hands on one when they arrive at stores next month. I intend to put the MacBook Air through its paces with my everyday tasks; rip CD - basic iMovie - run Geekbench - Photoshop Elements 6 - hook it up to a 30" ACD if these run to my satisfaction I will purchase.

I intend to test it as a total computer not a 1.6gHz Intel - not a 2Gb RAM - not a 13.3" screen - but as a whole package.

tuneman07
Jan 20, 2008, 04:34 PM
My main beef with the MBA is just that its not that much thinner in the end, and its actually got a wider footprint so it isn't any more portable in reality. It is lighter, but 2lbs off an already light MB is really not noticeable- I eat a big dinner I've added a pound. It certainly is not an "ultraportable". I personally would never pay 700 dollars for less performance, 2lbs lighter, and a quarter inch thinner and I think Apple is way off with that price. If the MB was some monster 3 inch thick 8lb laptop (like the Sony I'm using) the MBA would be more worth it but the MB is already so portable the MBA isn't much better.

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
The most reasonable argument I've read in recent weeks. That's why I'm waiting to get my hands on one when they arrive at stores next month. I intend to put the MacBook Air through its paces with my everyday tasks; rip CD - basic iMovie - run Geekbench - Photoshop Elements 6 - hook it up to a 30" ACD if these run to my satisfaction I will purchase.

I intend to test it as a total computer not a 1.6gHz Intel - not a 2Gb RAM - not a 13.3" screen - but as a whole package.

rip cds huh. hows the no optical drive working out for ya on that haha

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 04:43 PM
My main beef with the MBA is just that its not that much thinner in the end, and its actually got a wider footprint so it isn't any more portable in reality. It is lighter, but 2lbs off an already light MB is really not noticeable- I eat a big dinner I've added a pound. It certainly is not an "ultraportable". I personally would never pay 700 dollars for less performance, 2lbs lighter, and a quarter inch thinner and I think Apple is way off with that price. If the MB was some monster 3 inch thick 8lb laptop (like the Sony I'm using) the MBA would be more worth it but the MB is already so portable the MBA isn't much better.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are not Apples target demographic. There are plenty of people out there that think ALL that you mentioned is important.

The MBA is not wider than the MB. In metrics its exactly the same footprint. For those of you that have not yet moved over to the metric system it is 0.02" wider... Do you have any idea how small that number is?

Do you add a pound when you have dinner?! :eek:;):D

Regards,

C

rip cds huh. hows the no optical drive working out for ya on that haha

Pretty well I would imagine; either over the shared drive option, or the optional super drive. Do you expect an ultra portable to have an inbuilt drive?

Regards,

C

tuneman07
Jan 21, 2008, 09:35 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are not Apples target demographic. There are plenty of people out there that think ALL that you mentioned is important.

The MBA is not wider than the MB. In metrics its exactly the same footprint. For those of you that have not yet moved over to the metric system it is 0.02" wider... Do you have any idea how small that number is?

Do you add a pound when you have dinner?! :eek:;):D

Regards,

C

I'm almost insulted Apple thinks people should pay 700 dollars to save 2 pounds and a quarter inch. Face it the target demographic is trend monkeys and apple fanboys for whom apple can do no wrong.

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 10:03 AM
I'm almost insulted Apple thinks people should pay 700 dollars to save 2 pounds and a quarter inch. Face it the target demographic is trend monkeys and apple fanboys for whom apple can do no wrong.

Wow you really nailed it! I hope you do not make investment descisions based on your insightful analyses...

Have a nice day,

C

tuneman07
Jan 21, 2008, 11:43 AM
I do make my investments based on my insightful analysis which is why I am not expecting a huge boost to AAPL from the MBA. Trend monkeys don't pay the bills for a company.

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 12:00 PM
I do make my investments based on my insightful analysis which is why I am not expecting a huge boost to AAPL from the MBA. Trend monkeys don't pay the bills for a company.

Apples increase in market share is purely down to their 'trendy' hardware. iPod, iPhone, iMac, MB and so forth. I think you will find that if you have made money on AAPL over the last few years, that is exactly the reason.

The fashion industry, music industry, automobile industry etc etc, ALL are billion dollar industries earning money from trendy products. I hate to tell you this my friend, but the western world puts a huge price on style. Obviously not you, which is good for you.

Those 'trend monkeys' as you call them/us certainly pay the bills. Continue to look down on stylish people if it makes you feel better about yourself... :)

Regards,

C

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 12:24 PM
Apples increase in market share is purely down to their 'trendy' hardware. iPod, iPhone, iMac, MB and so forth. I think you will find that if you have made money on AAPL over the last few years, that is exactly the reason.

The fashion industry, music industry, automobile industry etc etc, ALL are billion dollar industries earning money from trendy products. I hate to tell you this my friend, but the western world puts a huge price on style. Obviously not you, which is good for you.

Those 'trend monkeys' as you call them/us certainly pay the bills. Continue to look down on stylish people if it makes you feel better about yourself... :)

Regards,

C

Bingo!

I definitely wouldn't call the majority of people, trend monkeys. We're visual by nature, we judge initially by what we see before any words are exchanged.

eddietr
Jan 21, 2008, 01:20 PM

I disagree. I think this is somewhat of a halo product for them. Car manufacturers do this all the time. They build certain models that are sometimes not as affordable, or not as practical, or even not as directly profitable. But these models are intended to strengthen the brand.

The Air, on the heels of the iPhone, are helping to solidify the message that Apple is the cutting edge in these types of devices. And in turn that image sells even more affordable models.

Just like Audi makes the R8, not to make a ton of money on the R8, but to sell a lot more TTs and A5s.

LizKat
Jan 21, 2008, 02:56 PM

I don't know if any of my choices help pay any company's bills and I am not paid to help them figure that out so I could not care less.

When a new product of possible interest catches my eye, I see it, I look into the details, I think it over in the necesssarily personal contexts of my own life and then I buy it or don't buy it and that's that. That is what most people do. Ask around your bricks and mortar neighborhood sometime.

I'd like an F350 pickup truck but my insightful analysis said yo call your brother who thinks about trucks like you think about powerbooks and he will haul your stuff home from the building supply place. Works for me.

I'd like a MacBook Air. I spent an hour with two spreadsheets related to my wishlists and budgets, and ordered the high end one. I don't hear my bro saying why don't you put that money in the bank and buy your own damn F350 sometime. That's maybe related to the presence of the hand-me-down powerbook in his den and the G3-900 ibook before that.

So in my family, maybe Ford and Apple are paying each other's bills :D

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 03:02 PM
So in my family, maybe Ford and Apple are paying each other's bills :D

Hehe I like that story. Exceptional use of your combined resources. Now if more people did that we might be able to save this planet! :)

Regards,

C

woodsea
Jan 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
IMHO- anyone that is going to use the MBA as there only laptop is a fool with a lot of his money soon parting.
This machine should be $500 less. PERIOD
SJ is just going to be giving another refund similar to the iPhone, when all the the other 3rd party subnotebook sellers come out with computers that have 2 USB, DVD drive of some sort AND a Data Port. I travel alot, and most hotels around the world do not have WiFi yet.
What if you want to listen to a CD, someone gives you of his band in New Orleans, and your MBA can NOT play it. How about a cheap movie you buy legally for 3 bucks in Beijing?
This was not thought out, except by someone who is out for a quick buck from someone who lives and breathes Apple.
A fool and there money are soon parted.

mashoutposse
Jan 21, 2008, 03:41 PM
IMHO- anyone that is going to use the MBA as there only laptop is a fool with a lot of his money soon parting.
SJ is just going to be giving another refund similar to the iPhone, when all the the other 3rd party subnotebook sellers come out with computers that have 2 USB, DVD drive of some sort AND a Data Port. I travel alot, and most hotels around the world do not have WiFi yet.
What if you want to listen to a CD, someone gives you of his band in New Orleans, and your MBA can NOT play it. How about a cheap movie you buy legally for 3 bucks in Beijing?
This was not thought out, except by someone who is out for a quick buck from someone who lives and breathes Apple.

You mean, like Toshiba? They just introduced their R500-11I today... at a price of $2900 (no SSD). The SSD model is $3600 with no optical drive.

If I want to listen to a CD or watch a movie, I'll pop it in the USB-powered slim Superdrive. If I need a wired data port, I can connect that, too. As a bonus, I get to disconnect them/leave them at home so that I don't have to lug them around that other 95% of the time.

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 03:50 PM
How about a cheap movie you buy legally for 3 bucks in Beijing?

:eek:

Gee thats a tough one I admit. I guess a sucker like me will just have to forego that incredible 13"/mono speaker movie extravaganza at Starbucks and go back to the hotel and watch the latest releases on a proper TV while enjoying the fantastic food the Chinese are so great at providing as part of the room service...

Just messing with you really; no offense. I am sure you can think of some more negatives if you try. :D

C

woodsea
Jan 21, 2008, 03:52 PM
I have a MBP that I can play anywhere. I guess that since I work out, the extra few pounds difference won't make a bit of difference to me. But, I am no girly man ;) Just a joke, people
http://regmedia.co.uk/2008/01/19/macbookcommodorecompare.jpg

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 03:56 PM

A fool and their grammar are already parted.

woodsea
Jan 21, 2008, 04:18 PM
ahaxton, what does that add to the argument?
When in all of all forums has grammar been a mark of right, wrong or opinion?
If all you can do, is point to someone's remarks w/o corrections, then keep your stones to yourself. If you want, retype my rant!

Phil A.
Jan 21, 2008, 04:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I really can't understand why so many people are ranting about the MBA: it's not as if Apple dropped any of their existing computers to introduce it - if people want a MB or MBP they're still there!
bottom line is if you don't like / want the MBA, don't buy it, and don't judge everyone's requirements by your own

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 04:43 PM
If all you can do, is point to someone's remarks w/o corrections, then keep your stones to yourself. If you want, retype my rant!

Pretty sensitive for someone calling people 'fools'. I think that you cast the first stone in this case. I would personally not have a problem with your grammar if you had not let yourself down by adding 'fool'...

C

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 04:55 PM
Pretty sensitive for someone calling people 'fools'. I think that you cast the first stone in this case. I would personally not have a problem with your grammar if you had not let yourself down by adding 'fool'...

C

Bingo, it wasn't a rant it was a hate post. What should be expected in return? Well an insult or two.

woodsea
Jan 21, 2008, 04:59 PM
My wife puts down my grammar all the time, but she can correct it. I hate politicians that put down there rivals ideas but have no clear resolution to their future predecessor's faults.
I was not being sensitive personally, I am always a willing to hear constructive criticism.
Definition of a fool- a harmlessly deranged person or one lacking in common powers of understanding b: one with a marked propensity or fondness for something.
My definition of a Literary idiot- Someone who cannot put 3 grammatically correct sentences together. With my picture as a visual identifier.

sushi
Jan 21, 2008, 05:00 PM
Simple.

Those who want a lightweight thin computer.

And if you would take the time to look at the market, you can easily see that the lighter and smaller computers become the more they cost and the less features they generally have.

MBA is a wonderful offering for those who want a lightweight Mac laptop.

Some on this board would prefer more of an ultra-portable (2 pounds or less with a 12.1 inch screen). Others would prefer a more powerful version of the MBA. Personally, I think Apple has done an outstanding job on their first model of the MBA.

cohibadad
Jan 21, 2008, 05:07 PM

I say we all do what Joe says! MBs for everyone.

ahaxton
Jan 21, 2008, 05:09 PM
I hate politicians that put down there rivals ideas BLAH

You did it again....

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 05:14 PM
As we are all tied to Apple products if we want to run OSX, I think we should be glad for any product that widens our choices. I would not personally be tempted by an Apple sub-notebook, but I sure would support anyone whom wanted one. Until we can run OSX on 3rd party hardware more choice > less choice...

Regards,

C

ansella
Jan 21, 2008, 05:25 PM
Pretty well I would imagine; either over the shared drive option, or the optional super drive. Do you expect an ultra portable to have an inbuilt drive?

Regards,

C

You should go into a Sony store someday and check out their ultra portables. They are smaller than the Air and almost as thin. They have optical drives.

Catch
Jan 21, 2008, 05:29 PM
You should go into a Sony store someday and check out their ultra portables. They are smaller than the Air and almost as thin. They have optical drives.

Nice. What do they weigh?

C

diabolic
Jan 21, 2008, 05:30 PM

And once again, someone is missing the point of Apple removing the optical drive. This is a decision Apple is making based on where they want the future tech to go, not trying to imitate other brands. Whether it works or not, it's a bold move that could eventually enhance several of their business models.

Phil A.
Jan 21, 2008, 05:48 PM

I don't understand the obsession with optical drives - personally I think it's great they've made it external - to put in inside would mean something would have to give (either thickness, weight or battery size). I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've used the DVD drive on my MacBook Pro and it's always been software installation.

I buy all my music from iTunes, and rip my purchased DVDs using my Mac Pro straight into my iTunes library (and they them get filed away)

When Apple dropped the floppy drive from the iMacs many people were up in arms because they couldn't see how a system could be taken seriously without a Floppy drive: How many do you see with them nowadays?

Clearly, if you need to have access to an internal DVD drive, then the MBA is not for you in exactly the same way that if you need 8 processors or a 30" screen you're going to be pretty disappointed ;)

On the subject of the Sony machines - I really couldn't care less what they or other PC manufacturers are doing because the single thing that any machine I buy must have is OSX...

PJF13
Jan 21, 2008, 10:28 PM
I don't understand the obsession with optical drives - personally I think it's great they've made it external - to put in inside would mean something would have to give (either thickness, weight or battery size). I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've used the DVD drive on my MacBook Pro and it's always been software installation.

I buy all my music from iTunes, and rip my purchased DVDs using my Mac Pro straight into my iTunes library (and they them get filed away)

When Apple dropped the floppy drive from the iMacs many people were up in arms because they couldn't see how a system could be taken seriously without a Floppy drive: How many do you see with them nowadays?

Clearly, if you need to have access to an internal DVD drive, then the MBA is not for you in exactly the same way that if you need 8 processors or a 30" screen you're going to be pretty disappointed ;)

On the subject of the Sony machines - I really couldn't care less what they or other PC manufacturers are doing because the single thing that any machine I buy must have is OSX...

EXACTLY. I feel the same way. I think the no optical drive concept will be the mainstream reality soon and Apple's "risk" in doing this is worth betting on.

I remember the rants and raves that nobody would buy digital music and that CD's and the thrill of holding the physical product would never be replaced. I for one have not purchased even one CD since buying my first iPod. In fact, they now seem dated.

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 11:02 PM

Well then Apple's got over half the market interested in their product! Only I don't think their marketing people generalize the population as drastically as you do.

They are not almost as thin. At all. Not even close to being as thin.

ansella
Jan 22, 2008, 10:39 AM

C

Less than the Air...2.7 pounds...see the specs below...
I believe you can customize them as well. Go to the Sony site.
According to the website it's only $2199.00 American. That is way less money and more bang for the buck than the Air. I think the Air is a bit of a rip off.
The Air has better processor speed and is sexier but that's it. This PC has a way tinier footprint as well and has an optical drive built in. This is not the only one either. It is just Sony's. There are other manufacturers that have really small ones with faster processors.

General

Computer Type: Notebook
Type of Use: Ultra Portable
Action Buttons: AV Mode (DVD/CD Instant On), Play/Pause, FF, Rewind, Eject and Stop
Pointing Device: Electro-Static touch pad
Security: Biometric Fingerprint Sensor, Trusted Platform Module (TPM) TCG Ver 1.2 compliant
Hardware

Keyboard: QWERTY, 82 keys with 1.7mm stroke and 17mm pitch
Camera: Built-in MOTION EYE® camera and microphone
Processor

Type: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor U7500
Speed: 1.06GHz1
Front Side Bus Speed: 533MHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
Technology: Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology
Memory

Type: DDR2
Installed: 1GB (1GBx1)
Maximum: 2GB
Speed: 533MHz
Hard Drive

Capacity: 100GB2
Speed: 4200rpm
Interface: Ultra ATA
Impact Protection: G-Sensor™ Shock Protection - HDD Protection
Optical Drive

DVD+R DL Write: 4x max.
DVD+R Write: 8x max.
DVD+RW Write: 8x max.
DVD-R Write: 8x max.
DVD-RW Write: 6x max.
CD-R Write: 24x max.
CD-RW Write: 16x max.
DVD±RW: Yes4 (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/DVD-RAM)
CD Read: 24x max.
DVD-RAM Write: 5x max.
DVD-R DL Write: 4x max.
DVD-RAM Read: 5x max.
Expansion Slots

Multimedia Card Reader: One Memory Stick Duo™ media with MagicGate® functionality, One ExpressCard™ /34 Slot, One Secure Digital Media (SD) slot
Audio

Windows® Sound System Compatible
Display

Screen or Display Technology: WXGA LCD
Screen Size: 11.1” Razor Thin Panel
Resolution: 1366 x 768
XBRITE Hi-Color™ Technology: Yes
Graphics

Processor: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Video RAM: 224MB Total Available Graphics Memory13
Chipset: Intel® 945GMS
Interface: VGA Out with Smart Display Sensor
Inputs and Outputs

Ethernet Port: 1
Headphone Jack: 1
Memory Stick® Media Slot: 1
Modem Jack: 1
Secure Digital Slot: 1
Microphone Input: 1
USB Ports: 2 (2.0 compliant)
VGA Output: 1
Express Card™ Slot: /34 x 1
i.LINK® Connection: 1(4-pin) interface6
Networking/Modem

Ethernet Protocol: Fast Ethernet (RJ-45)
Ethernet Speed: 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T
Modem Type: Integrated V.92/V.90 Modem (RJ-11)
Wireless LAN: Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection (802.11a/b/g/n)3
Bluetooth® Technology: Integrated Bluetooth® Technology
Power

Battery Type: Standard Lithium-ion Battery (VGPBPL11)
Estimated Battery Life: 4.0-7.5 hours7
Power Requirements: 68W+10%
Software

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Business
Sony® Original Software: Click to DVD® - DVD Creation, Smart Wi™ Technology, LocationFree® Player
Service and Warranty Information

Limited Warranty: 1 Year8
Telephone Support: 1 Year9
Dimensions

Weight: 2.7lbs with standard battery (weight is approximate and may vary)
Measurements: 10.9” (W) x 0.8"- 1.17” (H) x 7.8” (D)
Supplied Accessories

Standard Lithium-ion battery (VGP-BPL11)
AC adapter (VGP-AC16V13)
Power Cord

ansella
Jan 22, 2008, 10:50 AM

C

Here is one with a 14.1 screen that is Sangria Red (sexy) and comes in all different colors. Of course not as thin as the Air but is $1299.99

Computer Type: Notebook
Type of Use: Thin-and-light
Action Buttons: Play/Pause, Stop, FF, and Rewind, AV Mode, Mute, Volume-+, Capture and Display off
Pointing Device: Electro-Static touch pad
Hardware

Keyboard: QWERTY, 82 keys with 2mm stroke and 19.05mm pitch
Camera: Built-in 1.3 megapixel MOTION EYE® camera and microphone
Processor

Type: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7250
Speed: 2.0GHz8
Front Side Bus Speed: 800MHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
Technology: Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology
Memory

Type: DDR2
Installed: 2GB (1GBx2) PC2-5300
Maximum: 4GB10
Speed: 667MHz
Hard Drive

Capacity: 250GB9
Speed: 5400rpm
Interface: Serial ATA
Optical Drive

DVD+R DL Write: 4x max
DVD+R Write: 8x max
DVD+RW Write: 8x max
DVD-R Write: 8x max
DVD-RW Write: 6x max
CD-R Write: 24x max
CD-RW Write: 16x max
DVD±RW: Yes4 (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/DVD-RAM)
CD Read: 24x max
DVD Read: 8x max
DVD-RAM Write: 5x max
DVD-R DL Write: 4x max
DVD-RAM Read: 5x max
Expansion Slots

Multimedia Card Reader: One Memory Stick
Duo™ media with MagicGate® functionality
One ExpressCard® /34 Slot
One Secure Digital Media (SDTM memory card) Slot
Audio

Sound System: Sony® Sound Reality™ - Audio Enhancer
Display

Screen Size: 14.1"2
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Technology: WXGA LCD
Graphics

Processor: Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with Intel® Clear Video Technology
Total Available Graphics Memory: 358MB(max.)11
Chipset: Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset
Interface: VGA and S-Video Out with Smart Display Sensor
Inputs and Outputs

Ethernet Port: 1
Headphone Jack: 1
Modem Jack: 1
Microphone Input: 1
S-Video Output(s): 1
USB Port(s): 3 (2.0 compliant)
VGA Output(s): 1
DC-In: 1
Express Card™ Slot: 1 type /34
i.LINK® Connection: 1 (4pin) i.LINK® connector (IEEE 1394)7
Networking/Modem

Ethernet Protocol: Fast Ethernet (RJ-45)
Ethernet Speed: 10Base-T/100Base-TX
Modem Type: Integrated V92/V.90 Modem (RJ-11)
Wireless LAN: Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth® Technology: Integrated Bluetooth® Technology13
Power

Battery Type: VGP-BPS9AS
Estimated Battery Life: 2 to 4.5 hours6 (Standard Capacity Battery)
2 to 4.5 hours6 (Standard Capacity Battery)
2.0 to 4.5 hours6 (Standard Capacity Battery)
3.0 to 7.0 hours6 (Large Capacity Battery)
Power Requirements: 86W+10%
Software

Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium
Supplied Software: Microsoft® Works SE 9.0
Sony® Original Software: Click to Disc™ - DVD creation
LocationFree Player® Software
Service and Warranty Information

Telephone Support: 1 Year12
Limited Warranty : 1 Year
Dimensions

Weight: 5.49 Ibs.1 with Standard Battery
Measurements: 13.2"(W) x 1.25-1.67"(H) x 9.8"(D)1
Supplied Accessories

Standard Lithium-ion battery (VGP-BPS9AS)
AC Adapter (VGP-AC19V19)
Power Cable

Catch
Jan 22, 2008, 10:52 AM
According to the website it's only $2199.00 American.

Wow that really is amazing. Sorry to be thick, but I can't find where it says it runs OSX. Reread it several times AND checked Sonys website and still can't find it. :rolleyes:

C

gnasher729
Jan 22, 2008, 11:09 AM

Face it, Apple doesn't give a damn what you think their target demographics is. And the more adult people here buy what they like and what they think fits their wants and needs, and no adult will be influenced in their decision by you calling them "trend monkeys" and "apple fanboys" (and aren't you supposed to spell it "fanbois"? )

kkat69
Jan 22, 2008, 11:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I really can't understand why so many people are ranting about the MBA: it's not as if Apple dropped any of their existing computers to introduce it - if people want a MB or MBP they're still there!
bottom line is if you don't like / want the MBA, don't buy it, and don't judge everyone's requirements by your own

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone feels they're forced to buy the MBA anyway.

The topic of this senseless thread leads one to think we're forced to buy the MBA when in fact we aren't.

The MBA isn't for everyone, I think that's well established, so if it isn't for you, then DON'T BUY IT! Plain and simple. If you feel Lenovalavawhoever has a better solution go buy it. Same with any solution.

The MBA isn't replacing anything, it's a CHOICE for consumers. If it has features that are revolutionary enough they'll make their way into the existing product line and some features are.

Sometimes it feels like all you read here are whiney 1st grader posts "awww man, I want this, I want that, waaaa waaaa."

Bottom line no one is forced to buy anything.

"Should we buy a MBA Jjust (I kept the typo) because is ('it is') thinner and newer" - No! If it fills your needs then it's your choice. Again CHOICE.
"We get better perf. ON MB!!!" No one is debating that issue. That's a given, you can't cram the speed into something that small yet. If you want better perf get a MB then, or better yet a MBP.

hobbbz
Jan 22, 2008, 11:14 AM
The MacBook cuts on my wrists and it was never an option to me because it's too chunky looking/feeling compared to the PowerBook/MBP whether or not it is more powerful.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 22, 2008, 11:18 AM
Wow that really is amazing. Sorry to be thick, but I can't find where it says it runs OSX. Reread it several times AND checked Sonys website and still can't find it. :rolleyes:

C

Exactly why do all these spec slaves not get that? :confused:

joegomolski
Jan 22, 2008, 11:18 AM
go ahead buy a mb

I really don't care

gnasher729
Jan 22, 2008, 11:20 AM

ahaxton is quite right here. This thread is about people's attitude to things, whether they are willing to spend money on nicer things in life, whether they like beauty and quality, and having respect for your language is just one aspect of that whole attitude. I'd say if you made a study to find out what people think of the MBA, and what their attitude to grammar is, you will find a correlation.

joemarioz
Feb 1, 2008, 05:58 AM
Ok you guys really made me think this one so i will go for MB!

gnasher729
Feb 1, 2008, 06:48 AM
I hate politicians that put down there rivals ideas but have no clear resolution to their future predecessor's faults.

Here in Britain, the Labour PM has just recently made some statements where he basically said something suggested by the Tories was an excellent idea and that would be exactly what they would do. Can you imagine the protests? "They are stealing our ideas! "

And I thought it would be obvious to everyone that when the opposition party has some good ideas, it would be the _duty_ of the government to steal their ideas.

qpid
Feb 1, 2008, 07:51 AM
According to the website it's only $2199.00 American. That is way less money and more bang for the buck than the Air. I think the Air is a bit of a rip off.

snip a long list of specs

As much as I hate feeding trolls....

The one you posted has a smaller screen, costs $400 more, has less RAM and runs Windows.

Now granted it does come with an optical drive and a fingerprint reader... oooh

Cheffy Dave
Feb 1, 2008, 08:20 AM

I'm not Gay, nor Female, but it's going to be my first Apple PC with a 64 GB SSD:apple::cool:

Manatee
Feb 1, 2008, 08:59 AM
You buy it because it's the hot new Apple product. You're either with us, or you're against us. ;)

cenetti
Feb 1, 2008, 11:38 AM
You buy it because it's the hot new Apple product. You're either with us, or you're against us. ;)

I am against you then....

it not about the money...its all about being a sucker...

for $3000...I get a fully loaded 17" macbook pro (top of the line)....hellllloooo??????

if I pay 3K for a machine with specs like air has...i'd shoot myself in the head...
I dont care how thin it is....and thats all it is, really...thin!...same size as the MB...

where I come from people dont look "cool" because they paid the highest price tag...they look like suckers...i'd be ashamed to tell people that I bought one...

pondie84
Feb 1, 2008, 12:45 PM

for $3000...I get a fully loaded 17" macbook pro (top of the line)....hellllloooo??????

if I pay 3K for a machine with specs like air has...i'd shoot myself in the head...
I dont care how thin it is....and thats all it is, really...thin!...same size as the MB...

where I come from people dont look "cool" because they paid the highest price tag...they look like suckers...i'd be ashamed to tell people that I bought one...

The product is not for you... just as the MBP is not the product for a lot of other people. Not hard to understand. Or should I add a patronising 'hello'?

mrklaw
Feb 1, 2008, 01:12 PM

flip it around and see how you like it:

for $3000...I get a fully loaded macbook air (top of the line)....hellllloooo??????

if I pay 3K for a machine with specs like MBP has...i'd shoot myself in the head...
I dont care how powerful it is....and thats all it is, really...powerful!...same size as the MB...

where I come from people dont look "cool" because they bought the most powerful computer...they look like suckers...i'd be ashamed to tell people that I bought one...

see? Not nice but also not relevant to you. you don't like it? fine.

I have an imac 24" which I use for all my 'work' - any heavy lifting if you like. I coudl just as easily argue that its folly for me to pay $3000 for a 17" MBP when I won't be using most of the power/features. I need a laptop as a 2nd machine for light duties around the lounge and occasionally out and about. MB air is perfect. Although I will be looking at the MB due to cost and compare, but the lightness/slimness of the MBA is tempting

richard371
Feb 1, 2008, 01:37 PM
The 3000k model is a joke. In 6 months the price of SDD drive will drop big time. You will be lucky if you can get 1000 for the machine on eBay once the new models come out. The 1799 model is to slow with the 1.6 and 4500 rpm drive. They may seem fast in the store but wait until you start running things like vmware and loading saving large files in Photoshop etc. It will be one of the fastest depreciating investments you can make. I still think the only advantage the Air has is it is pretty. I am sure I will see all the queens this weekend pull their Air out of their Lois Vutton bags at the local coffee shops in SF. I also don't see the 2lbs as a savings unless your climbing mount Everest or something.

If you have plenty of money, want vanity, and don't care or need the missing performance etc then go for it.

It is tempting for me to Exchange my MB for it but it would be totaly impulsive and stupid of me. I have already filled up 60GB in 2 weeks on my MB and used my optical drive several times.

joemarioz
Feb 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
The 3000k model is a joke. In 6 months the price of SDD drive will drop big time. You will be lucky if you can get 1000 for the machine on eBay once the new models come out. The 1799 model is to slow with the 1.6 and 4500 rpm drive. They may seem fast in the store but wait until you start running things like vmware and loading saving large files in Photoshop etc. It will be one of the fastest depreciating investments you can make. I still think the only advantage the Air has is it is pretty. I am sure I will see all the queens this weekend pull their Air out of their Lois Vutton bags at the local coffee shops in SF. I also don't see the 2lbs as a savings unless your climbing mount Everest or something.

If you have plenty of money, want vanity, and don't care or need the missing performance etc then go for it.

It is tempting for me to Exchange my MB for it but it would be totaly impulsive and stupid of me. I have already filled up 60GB in 2 weeks on my MB and used my optical drive several times.

I agree Man I want ssd drive as all of you do because is ell lot faster than the 4200 hd but 3000 bucks I think I will wait another 6 months or so..

joemarioz
Sep 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
I agree Man I want ssd drive as all of you do because is ell lot faster than the 4200 hd but 3000 bucks I think I will wait another 6 months or so..

I guess you were right price dropped 500 dls..

m1stake
Sep 15, 2008, 06:16 PM

Dumbest Post '08

To respond to the OP, the MBA is not about raw performance. It's not meant for heavy lifting in games or professional apps.

Bobjob186
Sep 15, 2008, 06:51 PM

If you buy a macbook air to run vmware and heavy photoshop files then you've made a mistake. If you're going to make valid arguments than please make valid arguments.

It's like me saying "Oh you bought a $800,000 2 bedroom condo in La Jolla?? You could have bought a mansion with 10 bedrooms and 5 acres of land for horses and ATV's and huge driveways for your huge trucks and a giant pools for $500,000 in Wisconsin." But what if I live by myself and don't ride horses, and don't need 10 bedrooms, and a pool, and I'm enjoy a good looking small home than a fat ugly home? Should I still buy the huge house?? Think people, you all are a lot smarter than you seem through the internet, you have to be, at least i'm hoping you are.

fizzwinkus
Sep 15, 2008, 07:57 PM
everytime i see this thread i think the performance people really made a mistake buying macbooks and macbook pros. i mean, you get so much better performance with an imac - and it's only 20 pounds. will anyone admit to being a weakling who can't lift 20 pounds?

says the owner of a macbook air, and imac :eek:

ishopukisfake
Sep 17, 2008, 07:29 AM
The air is all about design and thinness. However, there seems to be a fundamental conflict in its aim of being the most portable laptop on earth, battery life. IMO apple and other hardware co's need to really work on a new method of storing energy, batteries are almost useless. The whole purpose of a notebook in general is portability, and batteries completely limit this, especially with the air so I hear.
There wont be a truly portable laptop until there is a much better way of storing energy so it can be portable for at lease 24 hours between charges.

gooddeal
Sep 17, 2008, 10:04 AM
There wont be a truly portable laptop until there is a much better way of storing energy so it can be portable for at lease 24 hours between charges.

...keep dreaming:o

econoline06
Sep 17, 2008, 10:39 AM
Dude, what is your problem, seriously. It takes time, engineering effort, and money to produce bleeding edge products. If you don't like it DON'T BUY IT and stop wasting forum space. This post needs to be in the wasteland.

econoline06
Sep 17, 2008, 10:40 AM
...keep dreaming:o

Laptops were never actually meant to be a battery only computing solution!! In fact "laptop" is a slang term short for BUT not synonymous with "portable computer".

deltaiscain
Sep 17, 2008, 11:21 AM

Um, maybe you should learn a bit of facts and find some information
the top mba costs: $2,598.00
it will load osx and applications faster than the macbook pro, due to the ssd. it will only write slower. also if you travel a lot, then you aren't going to lug around a hugh mbp, for just tasks like microsoft word, powerpoint, excel, and mail. Unlike you, probably, most people don't play crysis, or counterstrike when they are on business trips.

Bobjob186
Sep 17, 2008, 11:31 AM
Um, maybe you should learn a bit of facts and find some information
the top mba costs: $2,598.00
it will load osx and applications faster than the macbook pro, due to the ssd. it will only write slower. also if you travel a lot, then you aren't going to lug around a hugh mbp, for just tasks like microsoft word, powerpoint, excel, and mail. Unlike you, probably, most people don't play crysis, or counterstrike when they are on business trips.

Great post. Specially the last line

ra noodle
Sep 17, 2008, 04:49 PM
i know the MBA is targetted towards a small segment who need this for a brief encounter and have other Mac systems as well as the MBA such as the MacPro or whatever.
But i saw the MBA at an Apple store, because i had to wait to see a genius and i looked at this...and frankly it feels and looks like its something that for the clumsy would be just waiting to find a chance to be dropped or knocked off a desk by accident and that this would wreck the thing. Hell i glanced at three of them and all three floor models had a stage of the keyboard keys losing their color-i think it was white? Sure any dropped Mac might be damaged but the MBA just looks like something asking to be knocked over.......i said it before the PB12" should have remained within the MBP stables.....

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 17, 2008, 04:55 PM

Ummm no we won't. Believe it or not I need a computer a lot more powerful than a Macbook Air. I need to be able to work with Aperture, Final Cut, Photoshop and other image editors and they just won't run well enough on an Air.
That was probably one of the most ignorant comments I've come across in a while. More than just straight men need powerful computers. I bet the majority of the Macbook Air owners are straight business men that travel a lot.

macintouch
Sep 22, 2008, 07:41 PM
Some people like the MacBook, some people like the MacBook Air.

Why argue about it so much? :confused: