Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello,

know this is posted again and again, but new things come out so quickly...

what is currently the best fm transmitter solution for ipod?
(i have given up playing my iphone in the car)

i am about to take the plunge into the Monster Icarplay with autoscan...

i want the best fm solution... reliability and sound quality. I live and drive in la.

thanks!

r.

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
I have the iTrip and it works quite well. Sometimes a stronger signal from an XM radio in another car will knock it out but for the most part it's great!
Also one can pick just about any "free" station to broadcast on!

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Another vote for the Trip - i have been using it for years, usually I but a Home Theatre System when I arrive in a country and use that to listen to music with the iTrip - saves burning CDs :)

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
In my experience, the iTrip is crap if you live in a city. When I first got my iPod many years ago, I tried several FM transmitters and they were all crap. I eventually gave up on them until I was recommended this one by Kensington. Let me tell you, this thing is great. The sound quality is not perfect, but it is the best of any FM transmitter I have ever used. Bonus...it also charges the iPod.

EDIT: I see you live in LA. If you get an iTrip, you will want to throw it out the window.

Cobra2001

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
SoCal
In my experience, the iTrip is crap if you live in a city. When I first got my iPod many years ago, I tried several FM transmitters and they were all crap. I eventually gave up on them until I was recommended this one by Kensington. Let me tell you, this thing is great. The sound quality is not perfect, but it is the best of any FM transmitter I have ever used. Bonus...it also charges the iPod.

EDIT: I see you live in LA. If you get an iTrip, you will want to throw it out the window.

I need one that also works at home with any radio. Does this one still work if it's not plugged into a lighter in a car? Can it use the power of the iPod to send the signal to the radio or does is need it's own power that only a car can provide?

Thanks.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
FM transmitter

I have the previous version of this one, which has worked very well for me:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/TRAFJBLK/

It charges the iPod as well. You can buy an adaptor that will convert from a car socket to indoor plug for streaming to stereo for about $7.95 on the same site.

Also, this gets audio from the line out on the bottom of the iPod, not from the headphone jack. I vaguely recall reading the advantages of this somewhere, but can't recall it.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I need one that also works at home with any radio. Does this one still work if it's not plugged into a lighter in a car? Can it use the power of the iPod to send the signal to the radio or does is need it's own power that only a car can provide?

Thanks.

Nope. This one only works in the car. Transmitters that do not have their own power source generally work worse than those with dedicated power. If you are using at home, hardwire the iPod to the a radio. Even clock radios these days have an aux in.

Cobra2001

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
SoCal
Nope. This one only works in the car. Transmitters that do not have their own power source generally work worse than those with dedicated power. If you are using at home, hardwire the iPod to the a radio. Even clock radios these days have an aux in.

Thanks for the info. That means buying an FM transmitter and a wire but if I have to, I have to. Atleast at home I'll be sure to have clear sounding music with the wire instead of the transmitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.