PDA

View Full Version : Sharp ships notebook with 3D display

MacBytes
Oct 15, 2003, 10:29 AM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Sharp ships notebook with 3D display (http://www.theregister.com/content/54/33383.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

TwitchOSX
Oct 15, 2003, 10:43 AM
Ever notice how sitting in front of a computer moniter all day hurts the eyes?.. Imagine the pain from this thing.

bousozoku
Oct 15, 2003, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't it be better to just use some sort of 3D goggles? Tektronix had LCD Shutter 3D glasses back in the late 1980s for the Atari ST. I would think that something of that sort would work much more easily without the visual crosstalk.

TwitchOSX
Oct 15, 2003, 12:52 PM
Well... Im assuming that goggles or 3d glasses are not something that people would want to use in a work place or in the park to see some special 3d crap on the screen. If you can present 3D without glasses, that is the ultimate way to go.. for now until they can actually hook something up directly to your eyes to project things directly to your brain, but thats a ways down the road. For now, this is probably the best thing thats out there, but why? I dont need to click on my icons or work in photoshop with cheap fake 3d. I dont get the point of this notebook. It sounds more like a gimmick for kids.

ipman
Oct 15, 2003, 03:29 PM
first of all, note it's geek factor - how cool is a 3d screen?! Secondly, it is silly and sad (though very unsurprising) to hear this type of reaction. If Apple made this thing you'd be all over the boards going "Whoa cool! Apple is so cool, always innovating blah blah blah".

As for what could be done with it: firstly there's Sun's Mad Hatter desktop environment that works with a 3D paradigm (which I haven't seen in person yet) and secondly, just look at some of the features in Panther: imagine expose, but windows shift themselves into the background layer instead of just darkening. Or the way that icons zoom out at you when you open: they actually just get bigger... but imagine if it actually looked like it was going from the background and becoming a foreground object?

Open your eyes - it's possible to do and in the next 5 to 10 yrs lets hope someone comes up with a truly 3d desktop paradigm that forces everyone to jump on board - Apple? Are you listening?

ALoLA
Oct 15, 2003, 03:34 PM
I wonder what kind of battery life this thing has? Two LCDs plus the graphics processor to coordinate. What do you think, one hour tops? :)

eric_n_dfw
Oct 15, 2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by ALoLA
I wonder what kind of battery life this thing has? Two LCDs plus the graphics processor to coordinate. What do you think, one hour tops? :) The graphics processor is no more than what a PowerBook has today with it's desktop monitor spanning capability.

Do the LCD's on laptops really eat all that power or is it the back-light?

Nermal
Oct 15, 2003, 09:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the backlight. If I run iTunes for an hour, while moving the mouse every few minutes, it uses more battery than if I don't touch it and let the screen go to sleep.

Actually, I guess that doesn't really prove it's the backlight since the LCD will be turning off too.

nagromme
Oct 15, 2003, 09:45 PM
I don't care if it's practical or not... ANY step towards future GOOD 3D displays is welcome in my book!

(I have some of those LCD shutter glasses for my Amiga. Pretty cool, and very effective for the low price!)

The technology that I want to catch on is goold old fashioned VR headsets... dual LCDs with head-motion sensors. Look around in a 3D game and REALLY look around. These systems have been around forever... at costs only the military could love. Time to bring them to consumers at economies of scale.

Please!?!

cb911
Oct 16, 2003, 02:01 AM
wow, i thoght it was going to be some time next year when they brought that out. :eek:

can't wait to see a 3D display in person.

i thought it was funny looking at the pictures of it... it's not that much larger in size than the majority of PC notebooks now. :p

just give them enough time and they'll have the price down to a reasonable level, it'll be all good and mainstream. :)