PDA

View Full Version : Seductive electronic gadgets are soon forgotten...

MacBytes
Oct 15, 2003, 10:47 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Seductive electronic gadgets are soon forgotten... (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/15/technology/15GADG.html?ex=1066881600&en=13f6d56261892eee&ei=5053&partner=NYTHEADLINES_BIZ)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Bunzi2k4
Oct 15, 2003, 04:59 PM
i guess it's true, but for me, the only portable electronics i have are my ipod, a gameboy (i think it's in L.A, but could be in Vegas, i dunno but i hope i get it back soon!) and my laptop, and i use them all the time, i use my ipod all the time, as long as i'm not next to my laptop, and i USED my gameboy all the time.

cb911
Oct 16, 2003, 01:32 AM
yeah, there's always heaps of gadgets that promise to make life easier, more enjoyable... somehow there's always new electronic goods that will really benefit your quality of life...:rolleyes:

you've just got to control yourself though, or it could easily get out of hand.

i don't have that many gadgets. there's my mobile phone (which i hate. i say the smaller and less conspicuous the better), my PowerBook... but that is essential! :D i've got an iPod as well... but that's hardly a burden on me.

i used to have a GameBoy, but sold it. i was thinking about getting a GameBoy SP, but thought nah, i can do without any more clutter.

Rocket Rion
Oct 16, 2003, 10:19 AM
I use everything I buy. The people in the article just sound lazy. Plus, note how many products went unused just because they had conflicts with Windows.

Lord Bodak
Oct 16, 2003, 10:49 AM
This article is kind of silly.

You bought a camcorder, no one wanted to finance your moviemaking, so this is somehow the camcorder's fault?

You bought a burner, you liked the ability to make CDs, backups, etc., but you were too lazy to do it, and this is the burner's fault?

Or, my favorite of all, the GPS. If you went hiking and forgot your hiking boots, would that somehow be the boots' fault? No, it's the idiot who owns them! :D

Bunzi2k4
Oct 16, 2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Lord Bodak
This article is kind of silly.

You bought a camcorder, no one wanted to finance your moviemaking, so this is somehow the camcorder's fault?

You bought a burner, you liked the ability to make CDs, backups, etc., but you were too lazy to do it, and this is the burner's fault?

Or, my favorite of all, the GPS. If you went hiking and forgot your hiking boots, would that somehow be the boots' fault? No, it's the idiot who owns them! :D

i like the way you think... lol

revenuee
Oct 16, 2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Bunzi2k4
i like the way you think... lol

Ya, i agree - you guys make exellent points

The only thing that i can think off that i own that i don't use as much as i use are my portable audio equipment

The Walkman was replaced by the Discman - and the Discman is soon to be replaced by iPod or someother mp3 player - havn't decided yet

I use to think that my Zip Drive was a little useless, i bought it when i worked as a freelances for a small ad agency and would bring my work back and forth from home - after i quit working their and found no need to collaborate i kinda stopped using it - but since i've started working on major projects again i find i save a lot of my open files to Zip as a back up -

I find it excellent for my Final Cut Pro project files and EDL's - In case the Drive goes and loose all the footage, i can easily recapture it with just one click of "batch capture"

sorry about the personal examples, but i think it further develops that it is upto the user to figure out and assess whether he or she needs a new piece of equipment - and whether or not they will use it.