Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbross

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Now that email and notes are part of the package I was wondering...

Is there an external keyboard that can be used with the unit?

If I have to answer an email with a multi paragraph response, typing one character at a time with the on-screen keyboard is kind of frustrating.

andi030

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
havent hearded about an external Keyboard. but i have seen anywere in the Inet that there is a "secial" "pen" for the touch to easyier to write but well for the the widescreen is the way to go ;)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Even on an external keyboard you can't type multiple characters at the same time... I doubt Apple would release anything like that, as those apps were originally for the iPhone and it's touch keyboard, and the iPod touch has exactly the same size screen.

If you need to write a lengthy reply I'd suggest using your mac, but for short replies and to read e-mail's, the iPod touch is perfect.

As for your typing on the device, I'm sure with time and practice you'll get faster. I;ve only had min since Christmas and I'm already quite fast at typing on it, just letting it predictively fix what I write. Works perfect.

If you wanted a hardware keyboard, maybe a blackberry would be more your thing ?

drawfork

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Goes against all Jobsian principles of simplicity, but damn it would be sweet.

Speaking from experience, and as a professional writer, I can tell you that I've been jonesing for an external keyboard ever since I got the Touch, and now with the notes widget onboard, even more so.

Years ago, back in the dark ages of Handspring, I had a visio with a folding targus keyboard and a mobile phone module. It all fit in two jacket pockets. So if I was going to interview a client or even thought I might possibly end up somewhere that I needed to write something of length, and yet didn't want to walk in carrying a laptop case because of whatever reason (it happens), then I could always be prepared to assemble my own mobile writing station on demand.

Now, here's the real <A HREF="http://bp0.blogger.com/_HuoQ6cddTD8/R5QEvoXgvfI/AAAAAAAAAkc/J8v1QbiqakU/s1600-h/iDream.jpg"> dream.</A> The Touch hooked up to a MyVu personal widescreen theater glasses AND an external keyboard. Movies, music, writing, all on demand, wherever, whenever. Nirvana. But, of course, Jobs would pull what's left of his hair out at such bastardization of the design principles. Oy.

tgrankin

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
ipod touch external keyboard

I have been using a ThinkOutside keyboard with my Treo and would love to hook it up to the new ipod touch i just bought. But since this seems unlikely until a new model with bluetooth comes out, I wonder if there is an easy way of writing on my Treo and then transfering notes to the touch.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Theoretically you might be able to use RemoteNote, which allows you to access your iPod Touch Notes database via web browser/ wifi.

There's also a Mac app called iPhoneNotes that works pretty well.

I personally would love an external keyboard that connects through the dock connector. I'm certainly not counting on it though...

dwboston

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
MA
Bring on a Bluetooth Keyboard, please!

I've had two great experiences with keyboards on PDA's - one was the now discontinued Sony Clie, (probably the best product aside from BetaMax that Sony has every made and then withdrawn from the market); the other my current Palm TX. Because both came with Documents to Go (Word and Excel for PDA's), my PDA became my laptop for most shorter business trips. Because both had bluetooth and wireless Internet, getting Email, writing reports (and some fiction) on the road was simple, and given the PDA has a battery life of up to 12 hours, you weren't forced to lug along extra laptop batteries (twice the weight of a PDA itself). The drawback for both units was the lack of a good browser; both were horrible.
Being a MAC person, I was sure when the Touch was introduced it would have included provisions for a Bluetooth Keyboard and apps that would make it as convenient as a Palm. Given its superior browsing capability and Mail programs, I was sure I was going to be able to ditch my PDA and start carrying along an iPod touch --- or even an iPhone.

I'm still waiting.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
You can buy a bluetooth adapter for the Touch. I have one. All that is needed is someone to write a driver for the existing bluetooth keyboards out there. Maybe a strategic email to Targus or whomever else made a pocket keyboard for Palms would get them rolling on a solution. Who knows? They might be already on it.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
there isnt one yet, but it would be nice....

I agree. There certainly would be a good market for a portable and foldable external keyboard for the iPod touch. It would especially be useful for taking notes in class or jotting down things while at Starbucks.

N

natezire71

Just practice. I can type LOADS of stuff in emails really fast. I've sent 12 paragraph emails before.... It just takes practice. You gotta type a little bit each day, and then you will eventually understand how to gradually increase your speed. :p

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Just practice. I can type LOADS of stuff in emails really fast. I've sent 12 paragraph emails before.... It just takes practice. You gotta type a little bit each day, and then you will eventually understand how to gradually increase your speed. :p

When you're sitting in a lecture hall trying to take down all that a fast-speaking professor has to say, and you're able to type 60-70WPM, the Touch keyboard can only be a bottleneck.

Also, I often need to watch a screen with visuals and type at the same time; try doing that on a Touch keyboard. Likewise with taking notes in the library: I need to be able to look at a book and type at the same time.

I need an external keyboard!

csonni

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I'd love one, too. I have one for my Palm TX. Sure would be nice to use that one (bluetooth).

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
External keyboard

My Palm Tungsten T2 and Targus keyboard helped me greatly with notetaking and writing when traveling. On the the next iPod Touch I'd like to see Bluetooth enabled, a mini SD slot and OLED screen. With Bluetooth capability, hopefully Targus will create a folding keyboard. The Buyer's Guide convinced me to hold off on buying an iPod Touch for now.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
With 3.0 the Touch and iPhone get bluetooth improvements. Apple is leaving utilization of the dock and bluetooth to developers, so a bluetooth keyboard should be right around the corner. Even more important as Microsoft is trying to port it's Office apps to the iPhone/Touch. Apple already makes and sells a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

jmbill

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
So does anyone know if this concept is any further forward now that iPhone OS 3.0 is on the verge of being launched?

I was wondering if anyone is any further forward to connecting a USB or BT keyboard to the iPod Touch / iPhone. Although some people on YouTube have demonstrated it is possible, it currently involves a soldiering iron and much jail breaking / hacking!

If it were possible to hook up an external keyboard for basic word processing, surly this would be the ultimate Apple netbook.

Has anyone heard any rumors yet?

DHarrisDBS34

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
I'd guess someone will release one eventually. I know I'd buy one if the form factor and price are both right.

shig23

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
So does anyone know if this concept is any further forward now that iPhone OS 3.0 is on the verge of being launched?

Supposedly MacAlly has had one for over a year now, and has just been waiting for Apple to enable Bluetooth before releasing it. Do a web search for the MacAlly BTKeyMini.

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Developers will be able to use Bluetooth for individual applications. So you could see a keyboard working in one app, but once you leave that app, it would be useless. Apple hasn't enabled the HID Bluetooth protocol for the iPhone.

car.loan4

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
Developers will be able to use Bluetooth for individual applications very soon... Defintely you could see a keyboard working in one app, but till you use a particular app. Now let's wait for the time.

jmbill

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Sounds promising. Although the MacAlly BTKeyMini looks and reads good, it is a lot of money and I'd be more happy to connect my existing Apple BT keyboard rather than having to buy more hardware. The fact Apple intends to limit BT to individual applications does not surprise me. But then again that's probably how you would want it to work anyway...

Read somewhere as well that when you rotate the screen round to landscape orientation, OS 3.0 allows you to have a keyboard in landscape mode. I'm thinking slightly bigger keys are bound to be an improvement. I don't know really - I don't own an iPod Touch yet. Still stuck at the iPod Touch versus Asus Netbook stage of buying! ;)

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
If you iPod touch is jailbroken you can easily use an external keyboard, but it works through VNC. on your ipod go to cydia, and search vnc. download, and install it on your ipod. then go to your mac/pc and connect to your ipod. once connected you can use your computers keyboard for all apps on your touch. Its not very practical, but its good if youre just at home and you need to type something. hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.