PDA

View Full Version : 2.7 G5 - Fans blowing full blast and crashed

illustratorDavi
Jan 20, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hi

My menu icons kept flashing on and off for a while. I left the computer by itself for a bit and returned to find the fans blowing at full blast and the cursor wouldn't move. So I pressed the power button to turn off the computer and restarted

My console log showed this repeated about every 30 seconds for about 30 mins

This is the basically what the console error was
20/01/2008 12:29:31 Dock153 _DESCRegisterDockExtraClient failed -308
20/01/2008 12:29:31 com.apple.launchd135 (0x0-0x87087.com.apple.systemuiserver617) Exited abnormally: Bus error

I think the icon flashing was a result of having a film dvd in an external drive like in this thread
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6322426

I've ejected a film DVD that was in a Lacie external drive and verified my internal and external hard drives to check for any errors. All were ok.

I'm not too worried about the menu icons flashing but I am bother about the fans blowing like this. The fans have blown at full blast and crashed the computer about 12 times in the last 4 months when I have been away from the computer. So i'm a bit bothered about leaving the G5 alone. I haven't been able to replicate this fan issue - its random. Erasing the HD and installing Leopard doesn't seem to have stopped if from happening (I had the same problem in Tiger)

I have attached a screen capture of my Stat widget below

The slots and backside fans are always stuck at 76rpm and 51rpm. Also CPU A is normally at a high temperature than CPU B. I think the highest i've seen that temperature at has been about 75 but i don't look at it often. These stats were just when I was importing a CD into itunes fans were quietish.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4883/fansstatsov8.jpg

I'm thinking about getting Apple to have a look at my G5 while the Applecare is still valid (it should run out in May).

Can anyone look at their Stats and see if their slot and backside speeds are stuck at similar rpms please ?

Thanks
David

junior77
Jan 20, 2008, 10:54 AM
I've had similar issues with my PMG5 2.5Ghz...

It my situation, it appears to be a sleep/power issue. Do you have any PCI cards installed? If a device is drawing too much power or any power for that matter, when the computer tries to go to sleep, it basically crashes the system and fans go full tilt. The only 'real' solution is to remove any PCI cards.

Hopefully, someone else on these forums can give some better support.

vohdoun
Jan 20, 2008, 12:28 PM
This is what mine is like when they run normal.

There is a sleep issue with G5's as well as shut down issues where its either full blast or the screen is black while the fans are still ticking over and eventually switch off. I'd imagine its somewhat related to the sleep issue.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8923/istatinfoho0.jpg

ReanimationLP
Jan 20, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'd tie that computer down to the desk before it takes off. :eek:

Definitely get that to Apple ASAP.

illustratorDavi
Jan 21, 2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the replies guys

Sorry i haven't replied earlier - I guess i did hit instant email notification after all !!

I've just taken out a Sonnet Allegro usb 2 card to see if knock it out of list of suspects. It hasn't work since Leopard anyway.

I've also turned off Time Machine.

Just now trying to backup and replicate the fan problem to see why at what point its cutting out !!

Thanks
David

junior77
Jan 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
I've just taken out a Sonnet Allegro usb 2 card to see if knock it out of list of suspects. It hasn't work since Leopard anyway.

Was there any device plugged into the USB2.0 card? i.e, anything that could draw power?

illustratorDavi
Jan 22, 2008, 04:19 AM
Not during the latest fan problem. Just an Apple usb extender with nothing plugged in at the other end.

Lord Zedd
Jan 22, 2008, 05:46 AM
Take off the side cover and look for green liquid around the bottom, just in case.

illustratorDavi
Jan 22, 2008, 05:57 AM
Yes thats my worst fear !!

I've been checking for liquid - I can't see anything but then again the there's not a lot of the processor I can. If it were leaking in the middle I wouldn't be able to see any leak.

Lord Zedd
Jan 22, 2008, 06:53 AM
That is the main reason I got my DC 2.3 instead of the quad-2.5, it is the fastest air-cooled PPC.

hh83917
Jan 23, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'd have the same behavior after fresh installing Leopard and a few updates on my PM dual G5. I was wondering if the G5s should only run Tiger because this is my 3rd install of leopard. The temp seems fine on mine and nothing much in the console. It just looks like there's a problem shutting down. :(

illustratorDavi
Jan 23, 2008, 10:47 AM
Seems that its common for the fans to rev up when the system crashes with G5s. Theirs a lot of similar things happening on the Apple discussion pages (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=108)

I haven't had any problem shutting down in Leopard. I did a semi fresh install erasing my hard drive and then letting setup assistant import from a clone of my tiger system.

hh83917
Jan 23, 2008, 01:20 PM
kernel[0]: IOPMSlotsMacRISC4::determineSleepSupport has canSleep true

That's what I saw when my PMG5 locks up and fan went wild. And I just freshly, formatted everything and all, installed leopard and updated some softwares. :( I'm not sure if I should clear everything up and install again just in case something wasn't right or stay with Tiger. BTW, I found Tiger a bit snappier than Leopard on my PM 2xG5... just personal experience. However, Leopard does run really fast on Intel macs. It flies on my new MBP.

illustratorDavi
Jan 23, 2008, 01:26 PM
Doesn't say that in my console log from when my one crashed :/

hh83917
Jan 24, 2008, 03:15 AM
Oh well, I've had alot of problems after installing Leopard on my PM G5. I've switched the logicboard and one of the CPUs on my machine due to overheating once before and after that it ran Leopard smoothly. On Leopard though, I don't know if it's my problem or Leopard's, it sometimes crashes or freeze randomly. Anyways, I hope the 10.5.2 update will fix most of the problems when it comes out. :(