Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Alias has released Maya Personal Learning Edition 5 for free download.

Version 5 of the Maya PLE was announced in July 2003. The free version of the 3d software provides a fully functional version of Maya Complete for non-commercial use. The software was initially available only as part of the Learning Maya Beginner's Guide for $19.99, but is now available at no charge from the Alias site.

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
I think it is very useful, however, that you can't import the free version files into the commercial version is really stupid. So people would have to rebuild the entire project if they elected to upgrade. Lame. Otherwise, a fairly solid free app.

Oats

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New York
Originally posted by nanosound
Anyone else going crazy with those annoying watermarks?

Is this true? Including watermarks is hardly a free version, more like a demo version.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Originally posted by Oats
Is this true? Including watermarks is hardly a free version, more like a demo version.

What did you think they were going to do? Release a fully functional program for free with no checking into whether you're a student and NOT add anything to the files so you could tell it was ed-version created file?

I bet they don't keep this up for two weeks.

nanosound

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2002
I'd rather pay a few bucks and get something like the dvGarage 3D Toolkit or Cinema 4D upgrade from the CD with the latest 3D World mag. You're much better off that way.

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
This isn't a free version of Maya. It's a Personal Learning Edition. It's been available since 3.5, and I've been enjoying the program ever since. I actually bought 4.5 about a year ago. Sweet program.

Anyway, Alias will transfer your learning edition files to the real program for a fee. It's not something they advertise, because get this, Maya PLE is not limited in any way except the file format it saves in and the watermarks. So in other words, if they allowed people to work in PLE, and import into Maya Complete or Unlimited, they'd essentially be shooting themselves in the foot. How many studios would just download the PLE, and use that to do their work, then render on the few "Legit" licenses on their renderfarm. Alias is not stupid.

Anyway, on a side note, check out some of my work using Maya. I'm still learning the software, so don't expect any ILM quality work yet. heh

Bolrog.gif

Background and some lighting done in Maya. Characters done in Photoshop.

And a elf-like character I've been working on.

http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/3DGallery.htm

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I'd rather pay a few bucks and get something like the dvGarage 3D Toolkit or Cinema 4D upgrade from the CD with the latest 3D World mag. You're much better off that way.
I wouldn't.
If you would like a job using a 3D program, it's probably best to use the strong package from the beginning.
Just the fact that Maya can be used for free now is very cool. I think the "free version" is aimed at animators starting out, people who will get a real version at a later time.
If you just want a free 3D program, there are many out there as you said. But the studios only use a handfull of major 3D programs.

I'll download Maya 5 when I get my G5. :)

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by marco114
I think it is very useful, however, that you can't import the free version files into the commercial version is really stupid. So people would have to rebuild the entire project if they elected to upgrade. Lame. Otherwise, a fairly solid free app.

If the file format was the same, then you could run a whole studio with 100 workstations and only buy the program for the final output render on one machine. I think it's better than a limited version.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is great news, look forward to downloading the new version. I imagine it will be awesome with Panther.

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
I dunno. Maya is a fickle software when it comes to OS X updates. The debacle between 10.2 and 10.2.6 left many Maya users upset by OS updates that made Maya unstable. So if I were you, I'd check out Alias's qualified hardware section before purchasing anything. They usually list the hardware, OS, Graphics card and they tell you known issues with all the different configurations.

I'm actually hoping that Alias compiles their 64 bit version of Maya for the G5, and codes for Altivec. If they did that, man Maya would fly! Pixar didn't seem to have a problem with tweaking Renderman for OS X and the G5, so I don't see why Alias can't either. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

kryten2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
If your interested in 3d, I sugest looking for 3d world from your
newstand this month,because there giving away a copy of cinema
4d ce, which is a full program,only limit is a max resolution of
600x400.I've used both and I think cinema 4d is a bit more user
friendly.Runs native in os x as well.

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
http://www.wings3d.com

Wings is probably one of the best free modelers out there for 3D. There's also programs like Zbrush, Animation Master, and Kaydara for OS X too, which I've also tried as well. But I still like Maya better than all of them. However, there is a steep learning curve, and it will take a long, long time to get anything accomplished with the program when you first start. But once you get use to the interface, you will begin to understand how amazing Maya is. Personally, I wish all applications where as intuitive and easy to access features like Maya's hotbox.

But from what I have heard, Cinema4D is pretty good too. They have a new plugin for modeling that seems pretty sweet. Check it out yourself.

http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/ms/

But what this all boils down too is how much you need the software. If you don't need Maya's complexity, and flexibility, just go with something easier to learn. I wouldn't pay for any version of any software as long as there is a learning edition available. Most 3D software companies have one, download it and see if you like it. Then buy the one you want.

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Anyone else going crazy with those annoying watermarks?

A while back NewTek provided a similar offer for Lightwave 3D called the Discovery Edition. You get the watermark plus the modeler can only save objects with up to 400 points and you can't save anything in the layout program. Maya's PLE is lightyears ahead of what others have done in this respect but yest the watermark is annoying.

The bright side is that for $1,995 (US) plus shipping you can have a watermark free version of Maya!;)

Illmatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Ohio
I have a kinda stupid question but hopefully someone here can answer it. I have been using Maya Unlimited on my SGI workstation and using my Mac for all my 2d apps. I am waiting for my new 1.25 PB and bought a copy of Maya Complete for it, without realizing first to see if the Complete version for Mac still had dynamics in it as I know Complete for the PC does not. I would be extremly pissed to find out that my mistake will lead to not having any fur, cloth, or fluid dynamics. If someone uses Complete on the Mac please let me know.

Thanks

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Originally posted by Illmatic
I would be extremly pissed to find out that my mistake will lead to not having any fur, cloth, or fluid dynamics.

Maya Complete for the Mac does not include fur, cloth, or fluid dynamics, just like Maya Complete for the PC.

I do believe that Syflex is available for the Mac though.

-- Mark

Liquidity X

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2002
Windham, ME
I have 5 on 10.3 and there is only a small display bug with the hot box contol. You will see it but tis nothign major at all. and yes syflex isout for mac, but there is maya unlimited for mac is coming soon. I bet we see it with renderman for os x release. But if u hack into the app all th ebuttons are there, and AW personal has even said its in development. And now with Render man and 10.3 and the g5 and wiht wild card video cards coming to the g5 there would be no better time ro releas eunlimited for os x. man i'm tired. gnight.

Illmatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Ohio
Thank you very much for both your replies and it is a weird honor to have Mark reply to me as I have read and used his book quite extensively. I may be sending you a private message from time to time if it would be alright. I do hope that Unlimited does come out fairly soon though. And if anyone out there has a new PB running Maya let me know how it is. I did splurg and decide for the 2GB RAM just for this program so I hope I can use it on the go now.

Jayare

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Yeah, nice to have you here, mark! :)

I still haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.
I read some of the posts on Alias Mac forum yesterday. It seems there's still a stuggle to decide if Mac is the right choice for Maya for some users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.