Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbross

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
If I'm surfing the web with my ipt and listen to an mp3 that is on a website can I download this mp3 and add it to my ipt?

Or is syncing with Itunes THE ONLY way you can add tunes?

xXriderXx7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Lake Elsinore, California
There is a plugin floating around that allows Safari to download files, Im not sure if it supports .mp3's, and I have no idea how you would have it be recognized on the Touch without using iTunes.

gbross

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks.

Here's a follow up.

Can I listen to an mp3 that's on a website? I would imagine some form of Quicktime would play the song?

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Thanks.

Here's a follow up.

Can I listen to an mp3 that's on a website? I would imagine some form of Quicktime would play the song?

Only if it is in the Quicktime format because that is the only thing the iPod touch currently plays.

gbross

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
So if the song on the website is a plain-vanilla mp3 file it won't play?

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
So if the song on the website is a plain-vanilla mp3 file it won't play?

I think because I have tried to listen to things on the internet on the iPod touch and the only things that would play were those that were in Quicktime.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Only if it is a Quicktime files, as stated.

If flash is ever added, a whole lot of new possibilities are going to develop.

Most things are in Quicktime though. If I remember right, YouTube is converting all of their videos to Quicktime so they work on iPhone/iPod touch/tv.

limbery

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
MP3 s on the touch

You just bring an MP3 into itunes and it will import it into your music library for synching with your ipod.....no probs....it just won't recognize windows .wma files....

gbross

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I went to my local Apple Store today and tried the iPod Touch.

I went to a website, clicked on a plain-vanilla mp3 and Quicktime played the song. I know for a fact that this song is stored on the server with no links or code indicating that it is a Quicktime file.

So... it works.

Can't store it on your device though, you can listen only.

xXriderXx7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Lake Elsinore, California
I went to my local Apple Store today and tried the iPod Touch.

I went to a website, clicked on a plain-vanilla mp3 and Quicktime played the song. I know for a fact that this song is stored on the server with no links or code indicating that it is a Quicktime file.

So... it works.

Can't store it on your device though, you can listen only.

Yeah.
I think Apple did this for both security and piracy reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.