PDA

View Full Version : Concerning the newer iBooks... Better than PowerBooks?

CrackedButter
Oct 15, 2003, 12:20 PM
If and when they come out using the new IBM chip called Gobi with a 1MB cache should the PowerBook owners of the world be worried? This looks like being a good chip, something that seems should go into a laptop called a "Power" Book.

It certainly seems the performer, and if they come out in November of December would that mean another revision for the PB's anyway?

Why shouldn't some people hold off until they come out incase they could be better than a PowerBook?

idkew
Oct 15, 2003, 01:00 PM
Well, if Apple's history is correct, this will prolly not happen. iBooks did eclipse the Pbbooks once, and I doubt Apple, within all posibility, will let it happen again.

Apple makes a much higher profit per PBook, than per iBook.

If apple releases the new iBooks with the Gobi, chances are a G5 or better G4 are coming to the PBooks.

baby duck monge
Oct 15, 2003, 01:06 PM
it is doubtful that apple would introduce an ibook that is better than current powerbooks without first updating the powerbooks. that said, the top ibook may be close to the low-end powerbook.

either way, there is always going to be something better coming out, and if the powerbook is worth its price to you now, you might as well get it (unless a more concrete date comes out). you'll never get anywhere if you're always thinking about the next big thing.

benixau
Oct 16, 2003, 07:53 AM
i expect them to "secretly" include the 750FX (i think) that has alti-vec in it and call it a G3+ unles the pbooks get the G5 then it will be called the G4.

apple should want to include alti-vec in the ibooks. they just need faster procs in the pbooks.

i have a feeling that the 750FX is going to be faster than a same clocked G4. This will mean that the 12" will need a 1.25 or 1.33 to keep ahead of a 1.00 G3+ (as i will call it). IBM has a scary capability to produce "kickass" chips.

don't you just love being able to say "kickass" and know that some rich CEO is also saying it making it ok :D

macphoria
Oct 16, 2003, 05:16 PM
As long as PowerBooks have G4, iBooks will not get anything better than G3 without AltiVec. For professional users who do graphics/video work benefits of AltiVec is significant. For others who do little to no professional work, G4 is really not necessary. G3 is just as good as G4 in non-AltiVec performance.

So the decision to get either iBook or PowerBook really depends on what you do. But overall, PowerBook is a better performer.