PDA

View Full Version : ibook G3 problems - enlighten me please!

Shah
Jan 21, 2008, 03:27 AM
hi folks, i'm new here and still using ibookG3.

i own this old ibook G3 few years ago. I got some problem with my G3.

When i press on the power button, the usual loading sound can be heard, but there was no display on my screen. at first i thought it was the battery problem. Then i remove the battery and connect the power cable instead.

The screen just goes blank without showing anything and when i press the power button again, the loading sound plays but still with no display on the screen.

i need help, btw is my file still safe? and what was the real problem?

please enlighten me.

Thanks -

Shah

SoLibertyDies
Jan 21, 2008, 03:34 AM
G3 iBooks are trouble, first off.

try plugging in an external monitor to see if it's just your display.

also you could try booting in target disk with another mac and see if you can at least salvage your old stuff.

if the screen is toast it's not really worth fixing sadly enough.

hopefully it's something easier than that, but sadly that is the trend with these little G3 guys.

Shah
Feb 26, 2008, 08:02 PM
hi solibertydies.. thanks for your advise

i've tried with different monitor, but after the sounds, nothing works. no display still. i couldnt find anybody near with a safe disk to reboot, but then how to insert the disk? the cd rom won't eject.

I'm actualy very 'blind' in this area.. service center is quite far, about 250km from here.

is there possiblities of total lost in data? or the motherboard problems? where can i obtain the help disk? downloadable?

thanks guys, i really appreciate some lights..

SkyBell
Feb 26, 2008, 08:38 PM
I own two iBook G3's, and am well versed in these problems (If I do say so myself)

If it didn't work with an external monitor, odds are it's your logic board (these things were notorious for their faulty logic boards) and that can be quite expensive to replace.

Don't worry, your files are safe.

BTW, is this one of the colored iBook's or a white one?

Shah
Feb 26, 2008, 09:08 PM
hi Cassie,

mine is the white ibook. interesting to note you own two G3. :)

Cassie, how do i replace the logic board? and how much would it normally cost?

thanks for your reply