PDA

View Full Version : Apple, NBC Universal Repairing Relations?

Cleverboy
Jan 21, 2008, 05:16 AM
Engadget recently ran a story thread that seems very telling:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/21/nbcs-zucker-hints-at-content-returning-to-itunes/

Recently the Financial Times has reported comments (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/877c999c-c784-11dc-a0b4-0000779fd2ac.html) from Jeff Zucker (head honcho at NBC) that, "We've said all along that we admire Apple, that we want to be in business with Apple." and that, "We're great fans of Steve Jobs." More interesting, BusinessWeek has reportedly published recent comments from Steve Jobs on the situation, saying "We'll put it back together on the TV thing (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/01/my_posterior_ha.html). Everybody lost. But NBC is a great company, and Apple is a great company."

NBC chief eyes TV shake-up
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/877c999c-c784-11dc-a0b4-0000779fd2ac.html
Reporter's Notes from Interview with Steve Jobs
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/01/my_posterior_ha.html

Mm. Yes... yes, I'd appreciate that quite a bit. NBC better damn well sign a new contract before settling with the writers strike though. I can't imagine that would work in their favor.

~ CB

Chaszmyr
Jan 21, 2008, 05:20 AM
I hope NBC makes up with Apple. The more studios the better - especially if they agree to do things Apple's way. I'm not so naive as to think that Apple isn't in the game for profit too, but as a consumer I'd much rather my fate be in Apple's hands than the studios'.

nlivo
Jan 21, 2008, 05:24 AM
yeah, I read this earlier today. Its great news and by the sounds of it, probable.

MacRumors
Jan 21, 2008, 08:21 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The Financial Times (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/877c999c-c784-11dc-a0b4-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1) and Businessweek (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/01/my_posterior_ha.html) are independently reporting on an apparent soothing of relations between the heads of NBC and Apple.

The Financial Times interviews Jeff Zucker of NBC Universal, who gives praise to Apple and Steve Jobs.

"We’ve said all along that we admire Apple, that we want to be in business with Apple,” he said. “We’re great fans of Steve Jobs.”

Meanwhile, Businessweek gets Jobs' take.

“We’ll put it back together on the TV thing. Everybody lost (when Zucker pulled his content off iTunes). But NBC is a great company, and Apple is a great company,” neither of which make a habit of ignoring their customers’ desires, he said. “Fortunately,” he half-joked, “there was a writers’ strike, so it didn’t matter as much as it might have.”

Readers will realize that the tones have changed dramatically since rhetoric spiked a few months ago (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/30/nbc-rhetoric-vs-itunes-increases/). Apple's recently overhauled Apple TV software (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-appletv-take-2-price-drop/) may be encouraging dialogue between the companies.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/21/apple-nbc-universal-repairing-relations/)

amac4me
Jan 21, 2008, 08:24 AM
We'll see content from NBC back on iTunes very soon!

gphoto
Jan 21, 2008, 08:26 AM
It would be great if they got back together.

iSee
Jan 21, 2008, 08:27 AM
YES!

Well, actually I just bought an Elgato Hybrid (or whatever it's called) just so I could be sure to catch some of the NBC shows, so maybe it's too late for me. (I used to grab missed episodes of some NBC shows off of iTunes.) Still, this has to be a good, good thing.

BigGarb
Jan 21, 2008, 08:30 AM
After the new features of AppleTV were announced I had a feeling we might see NBC creep back into the picture.

adrianblaine
Jan 21, 2008, 08:31 AM
It was only a matter of time. Now if only they can get USA and Monk back on iTunes soon as well!

MacTO
Jan 21, 2008, 08:34 AM
Now they're talking... I mean... about to. :D

Cheers. :apple:

starflyer
Jan 21, 2008, 08:38 AM
Im sure it had nothing to do with Andrea Jung joining the Apple Board of Directors.:rolleyes: She also sits on GE's board which owns 80% of NBC Universal.

MisterMe
Jan 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
English translation of NBC Universal's statement:

Uncle.

aross99
Jan 21, 2008, 08:41 AM
I just hope they get back before Battlestar Galactica starts again!

macbookairman
Jan 21, 2008, 08:41 AM
This makes sense because when NBC went off iTunes, i had an episode of the office in my shopping cart. But when they officially left, it disappeared. But when i updated to the new iTunes the other day, it was back in my shopping cart, and you can preview it and everything. Instead of a buy now button, it says "view" though.

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 08:42 AM
Oh it looks like they're going to get back together. I'm so happy for them!

aross99
Jan 21, 2008, 08:50 AM
I hope NBC/Universal comes to its senses soon. Hulu may be an alternative to iTunes, but it should not be a replacement...

bluefido
Jan 21, 2008, 08:50 AM
I want my German light show already.

ccunning
Jan 21, 2008, 08:51 AM
This makes sense because when NBC went off iTunes, i had an episode of the office in my shopping cart. But when they officially left, it disappeared. But when i updated to the new iTunes the other day, it was back in my shopping cart, and you can preview it and everything. Instead of a buy now button, it says "view" though.

Isn't "View" the term iTunes uses for movie rentals as opposed to "Buy". "Renting" TV episodes would make a hell of a lot of sense, especially at a discounted rate (99¢ ?).

zap2
Jan 21, 2008, 08:53 AM
Good....no one wins with this feud....but the consumer sure as heck loses

brewcitywi
Jan 21, 2008, 08:53 AM
I hope it goes back to normal with NBC, but I always like what Jay Leno said about NBC, as he was negotiating his first Tonight Show deal, competing with David Letterman.

He said that he knows what NBC stands for now...

Never Believe your Contract.

krye
Jan 21, 2008, 08:56 AM
Like I said all along, bringing Andrea onboard was a good thing; and it puts NBC/Universal in Steve Jobs's back pocket.

imcquill
Jan 21, 2008, 08:57 AM
It will be interesting to see whether or not they keep the same model for TV downloads, or if there is some new model in mind.

I'm not sure how popular this would be, but if Apple made a special section of the Podcasts section, where content providers could control which parts of their shows could be fast-forwarded, I bet you'd see a lot of the free content from the big networks as free podcasts. That would be pretty slick on the Apple TV and would still present big advantages over traditional TV. I doubt Apple are going to get much free content from the big networks without some kind of ad model like this. Otherwise, obviously being able to fast forward ads would be nice.

solipsism
Jan 21, 2008, 08:57 AM
It sure didn't long before NBC realized it was dumb to remove a revenue stream. If they want to use MS' Silverlight to start their own ad-based system—or even a pay per episode system—so be it, and if it becomes popular enough then forego iTunes. I wonder if anyone got fired for it? In Japan someone would have been asked to step down.

It was only a matter of time. Now if only they can get USA and Monk back on iTunes soon as well!
I think USA us under the NBC/Universal umbrella.

Uncle.
HAHAHAHA

happydude
Jan 21, 2008, 09:03 AM
do you really think it's the new apple tv that got nbc back on track? how successful was apple with episode downloading before and why would a new apple tv bring new people out of the woodwork for buying new episodes - enough to leverage nbc back to the table? is it more likely nbc just realized that suddenly they were losing a cash stream that they weren't going to be able to replicate on their own (or with a different company)?

i dunno, i just never "got" the apple tv. it would make way more sense to me to have live tv and tivo-like feature included, then it would for real be a all encompassing media dealy. i know that's not what jobs intentions are, blah blah, but i for one am just not sold on the device yet.

fastbite
Jan 21, 2008, 09:03 AM
SIT dog! SIT!

swingerofbirch
Jan 21, 2008, 09:05 AM
I had been buying some NBC shows, but since they pulled them I've grown accustomed to watching them for free on nbc.com, there's a couple of ads during each episode, but they're available faster than they were from iTunes.

ccunning
Jan 21, 2008, 09:09 AM
i dunno, i just never "got" the apple tv. it would make way more sense to me to have live tv and tivo-like feature included, then it would for real be a all encompassing media dealy. i know that's not what jobs intentions are, blah blah, but i for one am just not sold on the device yet.

I agree. The Apple TV doesn't make much sense in conjunction with Cable/Satellite/Tivo, but I do think it starts making a lot more sense if you consider it as a replacement for those components instead of as a companion to them.

MM2270
Jan 21, 2008, 09:15 AM
I just hope they get back before Battlestar Galactica starts again!

Hear hear!! I've been dreading the start of the new season of BSG, because without being able to download them from iTunes, I just know I will end up missing most of the season. If they don't get content back on iTS soon, I will have to spring for a DVR just to watch the eps. :(

shamino
Jan 21, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hear hear!! I've been dreading the start of the new season of BSG, because without being able to download them from iTunes, I just know I will end up missing most of the season. If they don't get content back on iTS soon, I will have to spring for a DVR just to watch the eps. :(
Or buy the DVDs when they ship six months later. The BSG people have been releasing discs really quickly, relative to the original air dates.

Is a DVR really required to record episodes? Don't you have a VCR with a timer? They still work, even if the picture quality isn't as good.

Object-X
Jan 21, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm very optimistic about AppleTVs chance. It's a strong product. Not needing a computer is an extremely important evolution. I'm surprised that so little is being written about that. Backing it up to a Time Capsule and wireless keyboard support should be added.

Having all the major movie studios is also very important. They have a small offering of 1000 HD titles, but that will grow. I would like to see them sell HD content along side renting it. For example, I purchased the movie 300 on DVD, it can only be rented currently. If they sold a 720p version of it I would have bought that instead. If I had a 1080p HDTV and they sold a Blu-ray disc with a digital copy (HD), I would buy that. But that is me, I suspect a lot of folks would be happy with 720p.

The point here is that 720p is better than DVD and should result in a decline of traditional DVD sales, but it could also affect Blu-Ray sales since 720p will be good enough for most folks. Once fiber optic is widely available, AppleTV and iTunes will be dominating the digital download space and Apple will offer 1080p downloads with AppleTV Take 3. Not including an Optical drive in the Macbook Air is a portent of things to come. Physical media is a thing of the past. Apple is well positioned to succeed and their secret weapon is OS X.

I'm not surprised NBC is getting back on board.

emptyCup
Jan 21, 2008, 09:23 AM
I agree. The Apple TV doesn't make much since in conjunction with Cable/Satalite/Tivo, but I do think it starts making a lot more since if you consider it as a replacement for those components instead of as a companion to them.

It doesn't make sense for anybody who watches enough TV to justify a $50-$100 a month cable charge. It makes a great deal of sense for people who don't want cable but who are willing to spend $25 - $100 a year in shows they specifically want to watch. Add in easy, from the TV movie rentals, plus the fact that all the old SD TVs will be obsolete in a year, and I think ATV will do well.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 21, 2008, 09:26 AM
Please Master Jobs, I made a stupid mistake thinking I could live without you. Please, just give me one more chance and take me back. It's cold out there and I have no money to buy kibble.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_zWSD5jPUPzk/RsamYv-1TzI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/Xq_sgcOfd9M/s400/Begging-dog.jpg

iDAG
Jan 21, 2008, 09:29 AM
If this is true then this is great!!! I love The Office! One of the greatest shows ever to come out of NBC.

dabless
Jan 21, 2008, 09:31 AM
That's good to hear. Something must have sent NBC crawling back. Not saying that either party was entirely right or wrong... Relations sure were rotten when you see Steve Jobs on stage cracking jokes at NBC's expense. I think the iTunes experience will benefit. Since I'm not a music buyer from iTunes, I'm mainly in it for movies and rentals now, so that's pretty important!

After last week, when Apple announced the HD movie availability on iTunes some mentioned that they think that most of us missed the point. Apple believes content has moved away from physical media, so they put HD in digital format rather than worry about HD DVD or Blu Ray. Do you think Apple will have any effect on the physical media war?

bluefido
It doesn't make sense for anybody who watches enough TV to justify a $50-$100 a month cable charge. It makes a great deal of sense for people who don't want cable but who are willing to spend $25 - $100 a year in shows they specifically want to watch. Add in easy, from the TV movie rentals, plus the fact that all the old SD TVs will be obsolete in a year, and I think ATV will do well.

I still don't think there is a large enough market for Apple TV. Your reasoning definitely makes sense, but I don't there there are enough people that think the way you do and are willing to dish out $299 for it. If Tivo functionality were added, I would consider it. Otherwise, it just seems like a waste of money when there seems to be so many other ways to get a movie on your tv.

Clive At Five
That's great news about NBC. Currently, there aren't any other networks I watch a single show on... well... Food Network, but that doesn't count. Out of my wife and myself, at least one of us needs to learn how to cook!

But NBC is a great company, and Apple is a great company, neither of which make a habit of ignoring their customers’ desires.

Cue the xMac conniptions... :rolleyes:

-Clive

kugino
Jan 21, 2008, 09:35 AM
this is good news...i'm getting rid of my cable so it'll be nice to have the option of buying BSG again...and project runway (for my wife!...really.)

gothiquegirrl
Jan 21, 2008, 09:36 AM

I hope these two lovebirds can work it out... If not, I'll assume they don't want my money and Yarrr, Matey! It is! Cause I can't miss my BSG.

Ang

e-coli
Jan 21, 2008, 09:48 AM
Ha...asses.

"Why aren't we selling any shows? Oh...maybe people DO want to watch video on their iPod...who knew?!"

:rolleyes:

Epicurus
Jan 21, 2008, 09:51 AM
Please Master Jobs, I made a stupid mistake thinking I could live without you. Please, just give me one more chance and take me back. It's cold out there and I have no money to buy kibble.[/IMG]

Perfect, just perfect.

---

What's most strange to me is how NBC came off of iTunes right about when the Writer's strike showed up. Not only do I no longer have a steady stream of new episodes coming into iTunes but there's also nothing worth watching on cable. If anything the whole fiasco has given me time to slow down and think about how I want to enjoy media. Do I watch episodes as they air, with commercials and adjust my schedule to fix the network's, or do I wait 6-8 months for the DVDs to come out? This is what NBC is offering me, and I'm not too keen on either one. iTunes was just about a perfect deal, I can buy season passes for all the shows I really want to watch all for less than the cost of cable, I get to own the episodes, and I can even push them to a TV if I want. The best thing was that after I got hooked on Battlestar Galactica, I was able to load my iPod with the whole first season and take it with me to my mom's. I just plugged the ipod into the TV and away we went. Now she's hooked on it too. Even if I had the DVDs (which I don't) I'd still prefer to just take my iPod and a set of cables, its just so much more convenient.

I do hope NBC gets back on board, and quickly too. BSG is starting up soon and I don't want to have to wait for the DVDs (This is the final season, after all).

twoodcc
Jan 21, 2008, 09:51 AM
not surprised by this at all. i thought they'd work it out

kaisdaddy
Jan 21, 2008, 09:55 AM
I just grabbed the free download for last week (I think), which was the pilot episode of Terminator, the series, from Fox. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was in 720P HD format.

Hopefully when they get things ironed out, I'll be able to get the entire season 2 of Heroes in HD, including the episodes that have aired so far. That would be some sweet action. :D

dukeblue91
Jan 21, 2008, 10:00 AM
Im sure it had nothing to do with Andrea Jung joining the Apple Board of Directors.:rolleyes: She also sits on GE's board which owns 80% of NBC Universal.

Sure but $15 million in lost revenue makes you rethink your options too now and again, no matter how big you are. :cool:

Stampyhead
Jan 21, 2008, 10:01 AM

When did USA leave iTunes? That sucks, I've been looking forward to the new season of Psyche!

NightStorm
Jan 21, 2008, 10:03 AM
When did USA leave iTunes? That sucks, I've been looking forward to the new season of Psyche!
The same time NBC Universal left, as they are part of that group.

Doctor Q
Jan 21, 2008, 10:07 AM
No business can afford to hold a grudge. And media companies need all the friends they can get.

More correctly, I should say business partners, not friends, because they should never let disagreements be personal.

apachie2k
Jan 21, 2008, 10:11 AM
sorry, but i just bought a tivo, and with that and hulu, i just can't justify buying 2 dollar episodes, unless they offer a really good season pass thing...

dongmin
Jan 21, 2008, 10:11 AM
Read somewhere that networks could potentially insert ads into podcasts. This may be the future of video on demand. The networks (and independent show producers) could deliver content directly to the consumer as opposed to going through Cable/Satellite.

Question: Can podcasts be set to expire after a certain length of time or number of plays? Can podcasts be streamed?

apachie2k
Jan 21, 2008, 10:13 AM
Is a DVR really required to record episodes? Don't you have a VCR with a timer? They still work, even if the picture quality isn't as good.

true...true... but they are sooo cool, especially the HD Tivo, not horrifically expensive, and you can upload it to your computer...

abrooks
Jan 21, 2008, 10:19 AM
Don't you have a VCR with a timer?

Say what? :p

bigbadTKO
Jan 21, 2008, 10:22 AM
I just grabbed the free download for last week (I think), which was the pilot episode of Terminator, the series, from Fox. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was in 720P HD format.

Hopefully when they get things ironed out, I'll be able to get the entire season 2 of Heroes in HD, including the episodes that have aired so far. That would be some sweet action. :D

hold on, are you sure it's 720p? I downloaded this at the standard resolution (640x?), and I'm sure they would've made a big deal if they started doing HD downloads...

Bosunsfate
Jan 21, 2008, 10:31 AM
I think NBC lost some cash on this. They offer the episodes for free on their website, but you have to watch advertisements.

If they do not get the volume of users watching then they are certainly not going to get any money for the advertisements.

I also noticed during the CES keynote by Microsoft that NBC was brought up a lot. I can't help but think that there are things going on behind the scenes where MS wants to keep NBC from the iTunes platform.

I think a move by NBC back to iTunes is a huge thing and am really happy. Both as a consumer and as an investor.

KindredMAC
Jan 21, 2008, 10:34 AM
I really hope that we do not see the pricing structure for TV shows that NBC wants.

In a world of DVR's and reruns, why would someone pay more than $1.99 for a TV Show? I really think $1.99 is a bit too much already personally.

skellener
Jan 21, 2008, 10:39 AM
Steve didn't announce any HD television content. I'm still gonna pass on an AppleTV.

sellitman
Jan 21, 2008, 10:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I have an old 32" tube tv , will Apple tv work on it?

Virgil-TB2
Jan 21, 2008, 10:48 AM
I agree. The Apple TV doesn't make much sense in conjunction with Cable/Satellite/Tivo, but I do think it starts making a lot more sense if you consider it as a replacement for those components instead of as a companion to them.I think the same, and I am hoping this will turn out to be the case. Although even though I am waiting for the content to get to that level so I *can* do that, I live in Canada so it might be a long wait.

In our area, like many, a single cable company has had a monopoly on all cable for twenty years or more. Because of that, the prices are outrageous, the content crap, and the "choice" non-existent (***** Shaw cable ;) ). We subsist therefore on free broadcast TV and buying huge amounts of DVD's for our entertainment and refuse to knuckle under to the cable company.

Interestingly, Shaw cable actually *targets* households like us and compared to our neighbors, we get a veritable avalanche of advertising pamphlets, promotions, phone-calls etc. desperately trying to entice us into the Shaw cable "family." When someone in the neghborhood gets a call from Shaw, they come over and knock on our door to ask us one more time if we might like to join.

It's humorous, but really quite creepy, like some kind of futuristic TV cult.

In any case, like Steve J. suggests, there is nothing we would like better than to leapfrog over cable/satellite TV and go straight to broadband delivery through Apple TV. The problem is the content isn't there yet, and the content suppliers are all fractured.

As much as I don't believe in monopolies, what internet based media really needs right now is one single place (iTunes) that is world-wide and includes all or almost all of the mainstream media. If this is what Apple TV is aiming at (and it seems likely that it is), then it's *precisely* what a great deal of people want and could easily make your local cable company obsolete.

At the very least it might encourage them to offer reasonable pricing and something called "choice" to their subscribers. ;)

TheSpaz
Jan 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
Yay!

Bosunsfate
Jan 21, 2008, 10:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I have an old 32" tube tv , will Apple tv work on it?

No, only widescreen.

pdjudd
Jan 21, 2008, 11:07 AM
No, only widescreen.

No that is not true, Several articles have pointed out that a widescreen TV is not required.

QuarterSwede
Jan 21, 2008, 11:23 AM
Rant Alert:

“Fortunately,” he half-joked, “there was a writers’ strike, so it didn’t matter as much as it might have
Not really because the writers they had sucked in the first place. It's sad when Home Improvement is STILL funnier than the "comedy" out now. Oh and the drama shows ... snore. The writing may be good but the plots well, in the end, most suck. This mentality that each show has to out do the others is retarted. "How many plot twists can we add!?"

QuarterSwede
Jan 21, 2008, 11:26 AM
No that is not true, Several articles have pointed out that a widescreen TV is not required.
I was going to say that I have Component In's on my tube TV so it'll work for sure. AppleTV has no clue what's hooked up to that because there's no digital signal telling it what the TV aspect ratio is.

notjustjay
Jan 21, 2008, 11:30 AM
Mmmm.... tasty crow.

Wonder how much money they lost before they finally clued in.

ccunning
Jan 21, 2008, 11:43 AM
In a world of DVR's and reruns, why would someone pay more than $1.99 for a TV Show? I really think $1.99 is a bit too much already personally.

In a world of re-runs and writers strikes, where reality TV rules, why would someone pay their cable provider $60-100+ a month ($720-$1200 a year)?

For the level of TV I watch my money goes much farther with:
$35-$40/show/season
$10/month/show (Colbert Report/A Daily Show)

kresh
Jan 21, 2008, 11:44 AM
hold on, are you sure it's 720p? I downloaded this at the standard resolution (640x?), and I'm sure they would've made a big deal if they started doing HD downloads...

It's not 720P HD. It's 640x360, I checked just to make sure. It still looks pretty good, IMHO, on my Apple TV with a 46" LCD TV.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9717/picture1ej9.jpg (http://imdb.com/title/tt0851851/)

Virgil-TB2
Jan 21, 2008, 11:51 AM
I still don't think there is a large enough market for Apple TV. Your reasoning definitely makes sense, but I don't there there are enough people that think the way you do and are willing to dish out $299 for it. If Tivo functionality were added, I would consider it. Otherwise, it just seems like a waste of money when there seems to be so many other ways to get a movie on your tv.I think a lot of people have been turned off by cable/satellite TV for a long time. They just haven't had any real alternative. I know I am in that position exactly.

Also there are a lot of people now (again like me) that realise that the majority of the "shows" they watch and the sources for their information and entertainment are on the internet, not on the cable TV.

I am thinking that cable TV will eventually become for Coneheads only (the people that like to "consume mass quantities" of drivel.) Those that like to pick and choose the media they consume, which is arguably an expanding market segment, will go for the internet and for AppleTV.

These trends have been in place and commented upon for years now, the only question really is ... is *now* the moment when the shift really begins?

Feels right to me. :)

TheSpaz
Jan 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
It's not 720P HD. It's 640x360, I checked just to make sure. It still looks pretty good, IMHO, on my Apple TV with a 46" LCD TV.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9717/picture1ej9.jpg (http://imdb.com/title/tt0851851/)

Hah, that's not even DVD resolution... that sucks. 640px wide can't look very good on a 46" TV unless you stand like a block away.

blahbrah
Jan 21, 2008, 11:56 AM
is anyone else a hulu user?

They used to have the office season 4 in its entirety and now the episodes have been disappearing with expiration notices. After today the only office episodes online are going to be Money from Season 4 and another from Season 3.

edit: the same thing is happening with 30 rock they used to have all of season 2 and its down to 3 episodes.

ftaok
Jan 21, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hah, that's not even DVD resolution... that sucks. 640px wide can't look very good on a 46" TV unless you stand like a block away.

While everyone has different standards, you might be surprised at how good these iTMS TV Shows look on a large TV. I have a Sharp 46" 1080p TV and have watched a few shows from the Macbook. While not as good as HD shows, it's very comparable to DVDs.

Keep in mind, that others may have differing opinions and different gear. For prosterity, I have a Macbook CoreDuo 2Ghz using DVI to HDMI connections at 1080p. My DVD player is older, but it was a decent one when I bought it. It's connected via component cables set to 480p (with the TV upconverting to 1080p).

ccunning
Jan 21, 2008, 12:06 PM

It doesn't look bad on my 47" viewed from about 5-7'. It's not HD to be sure, but it is wide screen which is better than most SD content. Far worse than the picture quality was the content quality.

Random Ping
Jan 21, 2008, 12:18 PM
Backing it up to a Time Capsule and wireless keyboard support should be added.

I have this desire to control the :apple:TV with the iPhone. With the iPhone's touch screen, virtual keyboard when needed, completely programmable GUI, and bluetooth and WiFi, I think it would make a great universal remote.

kresh
Jan 21, 2008, 12:29 PM

That's just not true. I've had a lot of friends over and we've watched this pilot on my 46" LCD and everyone loved the image quality. It most definitely does not suck.

I took some pictures sitting 6' from the panel, admittedly I'm not a photographer. But according to comments the image should be so pixelated as to make it unfit for viewing.

http://www.forevercovenant.com/207thumb.jpg (http://www.forevercovenant.com/DSC00207.JPG)
Click on image for full size //or//
Original image may be viewed at: http://tinyurl.com/2zn7xy

http://www.forevercovenant.com/208thumb.jpg (http://www.forevercovenant.com/DSC00208.JPG)
Click on image for full size //or//
Original image may be viewed at: http://tinyurl.com/2akvnt

KindredMAC
Jan 21, 2008, 12:31 PM
I have this desire to control the :apple:TV with the iPhone. With the iPhone's touch screen, virtual keyboard when needed, completely programmable GUI, and bluetooth and WiFi, I think it would make a great universal remote.

ooooooooooooohhhh......
You just got me excited....... and that takes a lot!

That would be AWESOME if you could launch an app on the iPhone that resembled some of those touch screen LCD universal remotes that you always see on MTV CRIBS or DIY's "Tech out your _____room" type shows.

Hell, we do have BT in our iPhone's so why not right?

Apple are you reading these forums???????

Random Ping, do not ask for royalties... we really need this type of feature in our hands in 6 months.

ingenious
Jan 21, 2008, 12:38 PM

Amen!

I really hope NBC shows come back to iTunes. My satellite package doesn't have USA Network, so I really miss Monk right now!

dsnort
Jan 21, 2008, 01:03 PM

Uncle.
Maybe, maybe not.

I could be mistaken, but it seems I remember that in order to get the iTunes Movie Rental deal, which includes Universal I believe, Apple had to allow for some flexibility in pricing.

They could end up doing the same with TV content, which is what NBC has said they wanted all along.

Wouldn't bother me either way, I just want the content to be there.

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 01:07 PM
I took some pictures sitting 6' from the panel, admittedly I'm not a photographer. But according to comments the image should be so pixelated as to make it unfit for viewing.

Ahh my eyes! Is that SMB on the original NES??? :p

kornyboy
Jan 21, 2008, 02:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

This is good news. I don't purchase many tv shows but it is nice to have the option if I miss one that I really wanted to see.

NightStorm
Jan 21, 2008, 02:11 PM
As far as I know, the AppleTV doesn't have Bluetooth, so how would this interface work?

russellb
Jan 21, 2008, 02:15 PM
it just seems like a waste of money when there seems to be so many other ways to get a movie on your tv.

I don't get why people don't get Apple TV, and it does mostly seem to be people that have never used it.

Yes there are lots of ways to get movies to your TV , but I am sick of having to convert, upload, rip.

With Apple TV it's so so simple ... come home , decide you want to watch a movie or TV show ... goto Apple TV, click on the show you want, 30 seconds later your watching it.

No spending hours ripping and converting, no going to the video store

Whats not to like

russellb
Jan 21, 2008, 02:21 PM

Apple have changed something in their compressing, they must have .. when I first tried to watch a TV show (not HD) when Apple TV first came out it was great on my 42" LCD TV BUT on my 7ft Projector screen it was not all that watchable.

Last night we watched a couple of TV episode's on Apple TV on the 7ft Projector screen it was fantastic ... looked DVD quality

Cant wait to watch some of the 720 HD stuff

CWallace
Jan 21, 2008, 02:48 PM
Here is hoping both NBC content comes back and it comes back in HD (where appropriate). I watch precious little network programming, but of what I do, the majority is on NBC and in HD so having it available down the road via the iTunes Store would be nice and something I would definitely patronize. :cool:

inkswamp
Jan 21, 2008, 02:58 PM
That was fast. I knew they would come back but I didn't expect it to be so quick. I think they figured out what we all knew: that this was a moronic move.

When Universal/NBC split from iTunes, Apple issued fairly non-accusatory statements about it, but NBC issued all kinds of public comments making ridiculous accusations about Apple. It was easy to see who the troublemaker was. One of NBC's most puzzling accusations was that they didn't want people pirating their content from iTunes (???) and viewing it for free... which they remedied by, of course, giving it away for free. :rolleyes:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The old media companies will be brought into the 21st century kicking and screaming like angry little kids. It's sad it has to work that way, but whatever gets us there.

ftaok
Jan 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
ooooooooooooohhhh......
You just got me excited....... and that takes a lot!

That would be AWESOME if you could launch an app on the iPhone that resembled some of those touch screen LCD universal remotes that you always see on MTV CRIBS or DIY's "Tech out your _____room" type shows.

Hell, we do have BT in our iPhone's so why not right?

Apple are you reading these forums???????

Random Ping, do not ask for royalties... we really need this type of feature in our hands in 6 months.
The idea of using the iPhone as a "universal" remote for a Mac/AppleTV isn't new. In fact, I came up with this idea (not sure if I ripped someone off or not) about 6 months ago. I posted this over at AVSForums and one of the members there (wildrock) who I think is a programmer/developer felt that it was possible (and perhaps rather easy) to make an application that could serve as a keyboard/trackpad/universal remote for a Mac mini.

The only problem was that Apple wasn't releasing an SDK for the iPhone. But maybe he'll be working on something when the SDK comes out.

gnasher729
Jan 21, 2008, 05:45 PM
Like I said all along, bringing Andrea onboard was a good thing; and it puts NBC/Universal in Steve Jobs's back pocket.

Not necessarily in Job's back pocket, but she might just be motivated to ask on a board meeting at GE: "I noticed that we cancelled this contract with Apple a while ago. Could someone provide me with a list of all good reasons for doing this, and give me the amount of additional profit we made?", and then encourage appropriate action when she receives a sheet of paper that is blank except one large red number.

Cleverboy
Jan 21, 2008, 06:31 PM
Ha...asses.
"Why aren't we selling any shows? Oh...maybe people DO want to watch video on their iPod...who knew?!"
:rolleyes:No... the loss of iTunes is literally LEAVING MONEY ON THE TABLE. No more, no less. NBC is making good money, and reality shows are doing "fine" apparently. But, I'm surprised they'd just opt out of 15 million dollars of revenue. I don't watch Hulu. I could, but I don't make a habit of it. I HATE NBC.com with a passion (not like ABC.com at all). With iTunes, there were some shows I bought regularly... BECAUSE it was on iTunes. Battlestar Galactica. I know a friend who discovered 30 Rock on iTunes. I've generally stopped watching NBC entirely. Heroes has become lame. I think they're now in a huff over the whole strike thing, so its all a moot point. At the end of the day, its like they're just throwing money away that will NEVER be able to be remade. They're getting very little but consumer resentment in return for it. I think most of that potential revenue didn't find another avenue... it simply shriveled and died.

~ CB

SheriffParker
Jan 21, 2008, 08:11 PM
The idea of using the iPhone as a "universal" remote for a Mac/AppleTV isn't new. In fact, I came up with this idea (not sure if I ripped someone off or not) about 6 months ago. I posted this over at AVSForums and one of the members there (wildrock) who I think is a programmer/developer felt that it was possible (and perhaps rather easy) to make an application that could serve as a keyboard/trackpad/universal remote for a Mac mini.

The only problem was that Apple wasn't releasing an SDK for the iPhone. But maybe he'll be working on something when the SDK comes out.

Actually I thought of it a couple days after Macworld 2007 so....

gkarris
Jan 21, 2008, 10:35 PM
I had been buying some NBC shows, but since they pulled them I've grown accustomed to watching them for free on nbc.com, there's a couple of ads during each episode, but they're available faster than they were from iTunes.

I tried watching an episode of "Life" I missed on nbc.com. Of course, with my slow DSL line, I could get the ad, but the show never seemed to "stream" properly. The ads always seem to run fine (ain't that a coincidence).

I just gave up... wait for the DVD's (or re-runs)...

At least on iTunes, I can download it and walk away for a while, then watch it on my :apple:TV instead of my small 14" iBook screen.

I guess the whole "just watch it for free online" "thing" wasn't working of a lot of other people either...

tigger26
Jan 21, 2008, 11:32 PM
I hope NBC makes up with Apple. The more studios the better - especially if they agree to do things Apple's way. I'm not so naive as to think that Apple isn't in the game for profit too, but as a consumer I'd much rather my fate be in Apple's hands than the studios'.

I agree, Apple seem to be the only one that came up with a real solution that everyone else tries to copy.

MikeTheC
Jan 22, 2008, 02:03 AM
Of course, it would be nice if they actually had content worth airing to begin with.

All this and they still can't give writers residuals on digital distribution, etc.

What a bunch of loosers.

BWhaler
Jan 22, 2008, 02:23 AM
I understand NBC's point of view of pricing power, but Apple is correct. One price and cheap enough not to hassle with Torrents is the only way this works.

I would like to buy my favorite NBC shows, but won't do so until they are back on iTunes. 30 Rock, Heroes, My Name is Earl, etc. I'll get all of the season passes as soon as they come back.

Once this is complete, we just need the major music labels to give us our DRM free music at a good bit rate. I am ready to give them more of my money to upgrade my current library to iTunes+, but they don't want to take it.

shamino
Jan 22, 2008, 10:19 AM
... all the old SD TVs will be obsolete in a year, and I think ATV will do well.
SDTV will not be going away. It is only analog broadcasts that are going away. Anybody getting service from cable, satellite or fiber is unaffected by the 2/09 shutdown. And there are SDTV sets with digital tuners (I have one). They downsample the ED/HD programming to SD resolutions and display that. The result looks surprisingly good (at least on my SDTV's 15" screen.)
Do you think Apple will have any effect on the physical media war?
I doubt it. A lot of people (myself, included) like buying DVDs, and will start buying HD discs, once the format war is settled.

I don't like the idea of purchased movie downloads in general. Even if the image quality matches what you get on a purchased disc, and even if the full set of bonus materials are included (which is not the case, so far), I don't like the idea of needing to buy large quantities of hard drives to keep all my purchases. I don't like the idea of storage media that will break if dropped on the floor. I don't like having to bring a hard drive (or computer, or set-top box) to other people's homes in order to show a movie over there.

I actually have less of a problem with rentals. Since those will be seen once, and then be deleted, none of the above problems are a real concern.
I was going to say that I have Component In's on my tube TV so it'll work for sure. AppleTV has no clue what's hooked up to that because there's no digital signal telling it what the TV aspect ratio is.
Not all component video inputs are HD-capable. If yours are not, the Apple TV may not work with your set.

If the inputs are HD capable, the TV will be able to recognize a 720p or 1080i signal. Since those signals are only specified for widescreen, a good TV should automatically letterbox any image using an HD signal.
Once this is complete, we just need the major music labels to give us our DRM free music at a good bit rate. I am ready to give them more of my money to upgrade my current library to iTunes+, but they don't want to take it.
This is just a matter of time. The labels will come around eventually, especially when they see that the Amazon deal isn't affecting piracy or CD sales in any significant way.

For now, I still get most of my music on CD. Thanks to discount stores, clearinghouses and used-music stores, I don't pay much more than the download price (assuming I like most of what's on the CD).

For those bands where the CDs don't have many good tracks, I'll stick with the iTunes DRM. They play fine on my iPod and I can still burn CDs if I really want to.

ftaok
Jan 22, 2008, 10:35 AM
Actually I thought of it a couple days after Macworld 2007 so....

If you didn't post it, then it doesn't count. ;)

Jackielyn
Jan 22, 2008, 11:06 AM
I don't get why people don't get Apple TV, and it does mostly seem to be people that have never used it.

Yes there are lots of ways to get movies to your TV , but I am sick of having to convert, upload, rip.

With Apple TV it's so so simple ... come home , decide you want to watch a movie or TV show ... goto Apple TV, click on the show you want, 30 seconds later your watching it.

No spending hours ripping and converting, no going to the video store

Whats not to like

I have my Powerpc hooked up to my tv. I'll just play my movies that way. No need waste money on a third product.

Alx9876
Jan 28, 2008, 05:37 AM
I hope iTunes get's "The Office Season 4"?

I will buy it on the first day when it comes out. :)

CWallace
Jan 28, 2008, 01:03 PM
I hope iTunes get's "The Office Season 4"?

I will buy it on the first day when it comes out. :)

As long as I can watch it on my iPhone... (SNL plug). :D